ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

why use Iatkos? just use retail

iATKOS provides easy installation on my nForce chipset (ATA & Network).

I've tried retail install methods such as [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but cant get it to detect my HDD.

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] seems to be a very well written system but i believe made for those on newer intel based boards.

Also I dont have a large knowledge of the Mac/Hackintosh boot-installation systems

so would find it difficult atm to create my own boot method to install retail.

(Everything I have learned so far has been from using builds such as iATKOS and iDeneb)

Cheers. :P

01A

Hallo all,

Yesterday I have decided to put the hd 5770 card in my hackingtosh - it has been lying on the shelve for quite some time. Regrettably I'm at a loss now. I have seen a number of solutions, but I don't know which one I should choose to make the card work:

- by netcas?

- by tmongkol?

- by Mohamed Khairy?

- by Kabyl?

What is the preferred method for a hackingtosh (gigabyte UD5 based) using Chameleon bootloader ?

Thank you,

measwel

Hallo all,

Yesterday I have decided to put the hd 5770 card in my hackingtosh - it has been lying on the shelve for quite some time. Regrettably I'm at a loss now. I have seen a number of solutions, but I don't know which one I should choose to make the card work:

- by netcas?

- by tmongkol?

- by Mohamed Khairy?

- by Kabyl?

What is the preferred method for a hackingtosh (gigabyte UD5 based) using Chameleon bootloader ?

Thank you,

measwel

Add me to the queque for a reply for this question.

In addition, I have a EP45-DS3LR with a Mac Bios by Cartri... will a bootloader of those for 5770 be compatible with my BIOS?

Personally I have had pretty big problems getting all those mothods to work.

If your gonna try, then I'd give Kaybl's method a shot as quite a few have had success getting their 5770's to work.

Failing that like me you could use Ati_init.kext and 32-bit boot to get everything working.

And wait until Kaybl and the others have finished developing the boot loader and update Chameleon.

Cheers

Add me to the queque for a reply for this question.

In addition, I have a EP45-DS3LR with a Mac Bios by Cartri... will a bootloader of those for 5770 be compatible with my BIOS?

Personally I have had pretty big problems getting all those mothods to work.

If your gonna try, then I'd give Kaybl's method a shot as quite a few have had success getting their 5770's to work.

Failing that like me you could use Ati_init.kext and 32-bit boot to get everything working.

And wait until Kaybl and the others have finished developing the boot loader and update Chameleon.

Cheers

Thanks for Kabyl and many other friends here :

After many trials and errors I have made 3 different cards working in x64 Snow Leopard 10.6.4:

1. Asus EAH4850 512MB in Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 MB (Motmot)(Cardinal)

2. MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB in Asus P6T SE MB (Vervet)

3. Asus EAH5850 1GB in Asus P5Q PRO MB (Uakari)

The key issues are:

(1) edited all parameters in com.apple.Boot.plist (including AtiFb=xxxxx, arch=x86_64, -force64, etc.)

(2) injected VendorID_DeviceID in related ATIRadeon4800.kext, ATIRadeon5000.kext, X2000.kext and X3000.kext

otherwise you may get Kernel panic at X3000.kext or booting frozen at PciRootUID=x, etc.

(3) Use Chamelon RC5 bootloader and Kabyl's boot (its default is Vervet FrameBuffers)

Hi all,

I have used Mohamed Khairy's method with vervet fb boot file and the ati 5770 works, but chameleon RC5 r619 doesn't.

Hardware setup:

- 1 Tb sata primary with os 10.6.4 : this disk has chameleon on it, I boot from it.

- 1.5 Tb sata data disk, not bootable

- 1.5 Tb sata bootable clone : replica of primary in case it breaks and for backup

- 300 Gb ide bootable with Windows 7 on it.

Sofware setup:

- I installed chameleon RC5 r619

- I set the path to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist in pref. pane. The file is there.

- I have set partitions to hide and renamed partitions in chameleon pref. pane. The adjustments show up fine in the pane.

- use AtiRom : yes.

Problems:

- Hidden partitions show up in chameleons GUI at startup time. Partitions are not renamed either.

- Trying to boot from either primary or the bootable clone, leads to "mach_kernel not found" error. When I specify the location by hand (rd(1,2)/mach_kernel) this leads to KP and the message "A suitable driver could not be found for this device ... ACPI ... "

Workaround:

- This problem did not come up with previous versions of chameleon - I believe that was RC2 that came with the Empire Efi install I used originally. It booted fine with the same disk setup, only of course I used a nvidia gc then. When installing atiRom I switched to RC5 r619.

- It seems I can boot normally, when I physically disconnect the 1.5 Tb non bootable data disk...

- Sometimes the system would allow me to boot after inserting a usb device in a usb port...

This is beyond me. If anybody knows why this is happening, or wants me to run some tests, let me know.

Hi all,

I have used Mohamed Khairy's method with vervet fb boot file and the ati 5770 works, but chameleon RC5 r619 doesn't.

Hardware setup:

- 1 Tb sata primary with os 10.6.4 : this disk has chameleon on it, I boot from it.

- 1.5 Tb sata data disk, not bootable

- 1.5 Tb sata bootable clone : replica of primary in case it breaks and for backup

- 300 Gb ide bootable with Windows 7 on it.

Sofware setup:

- I installed chameleon RC5 r619

- I set the path to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist in pref. pane. The file is there.

- I have set partitions to hide and renamed partitions in chameleon pref. pane. The adjustments show up fine in the pane.

- use AtiRom : yes.

Problems:

- Hidden partitions show up in chameleons GUI at startup time. Partitions are not renamed either.

- Trying to boot from either primary or the bootable clone, leads to "mach_kernel not found" error. When I specify the location by hand (rd(1,2)/mach_kernel) this leads to KP and the message "A suitable driver could not be found for this device ... ACPI ... "

Workaround:

- This problem did not come up with previous versions of chameleon - I believe that was RC2 that came with the Empire Efi install I used originally. It booted fine with the same disk setup, only of course I used a nvidia gc then. When installing atiRom I switched to RC5 r619.

- It seems I can boot normally, when I physically disconnect the 1.5 Tb non bootable data disk...

- Sometimes the system would allow me to boot after inserting a usb device in a usb port...

This is beyond me. If anybody knows why this is happening, or wants me to run some tests, let me know.

why you use rc5 619 it isnt correct for hd5000

i corrected injector to work with three displays :) and also framebuffer

why you use rc5 619 it isnt correct for hd5000

i corrected injector to work with three displays :) and also framebuffer

Good news about the injector!

In your guide it says: install the latest version of chameleon from here... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

The version I found there was RC5 619. Only later I noticed there is also RC5 629 there.

I now tried both bootloaders r619 and r629 and both give the same error: "mach_kernel not found" when trying to boot from my primary boot hdd. In both cases, when I physically disconnect the data disk, I can boot normally. It seems chameleon is confused by my disk setup.

Another problem is with the boot options for hiding and renaming partitions. I do see them in the pref. pane, but not in the GUI at boot time. Is this normal?

I will do without the data disk for now, until a better version of chameleon comes out.

Hi Tmongkul (hat off ...)

Success

After I tried all to get 64 bit working with Cartris MacBios 0.8 with my custom flashed HD 5770, and the supplied cartri bootloader

(he uses RC 5 build r168 with a modified script from Dr.Hurts Cham 2RC5-pre8) to no avail .

(always inserting wrong 4xxx framebuffer motmot without HDMI support on second monitor)

and boot 7, boot 8, boot 9 didn´t work for me as well with this bios (not Traumas fault , I realized) ....

I finally reinstalled Aseres 1.9 mod. BL (Vervet support)- credit Tmongkul and

BINGO

Perfect so far - 64 bit - Cartris bios works - no DSDT - no Ati .ROM- no VBios and HDMI works

+ 100 score in Geekbench * + 1 frame in Cinebench * 8 sec bootime * only 2kexts in /E * system flies

isn`t it nice :

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	   <string>Yes</string>
	   <key>Kernel</key>
	   <string>mach_kernel</string>
	   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
	   <string></string>
	   <key>PCIRootUID</key>
	   <string>1</string>

Thanx

as

SUCCESS!!! on a Diamond Radeon HD 5770 (deal from Frys for $119 after mail in rebate. This particular revision is the one with the Artic Cooling heatsin/fan as denoted by the sticker on the box).

armin,

I just wanted to chime in and give a huge thanks to Tmongkul and to you for helping me fix the issue I was having getting my Diamond Radeon HD 5770 installed. My hackintosh was running merrily with a Nvidia 9600GT and Cartri 0.8 bios for a long time now. I thought giving it a graphics update to the 5770 would make things a bit quicker still. So thus began a day of neglecting real work, trying everything I can think of and scouring the online forums for answer. I know we modder has all been there. :)

Upon installing the card into my system, I got kernel panic during the booth process related to the graphics card. I tried everything I can find online that may help the issue, including updating Chameleon and trying out the various boot loader from Kabyl, Mohammed Khairy in combination with various framebuffers. I even tried crossflashing the Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5770 with other manufacturer's bios such as Sapphire, Asus as can be found in the Video BIOS Collection hosted by TechPowerUP. All that effort resulted in no better result.

Finally, I saw your success with the Aseres 1.1.9 bootloader that was modified by Tmongkul. Gave that a try according to your instructions as quoted above. Booted the machine up like usual in 64bit mode and it worked instantly. No more kernel panic and everything appear to be working great. Will continue testing to see if it's the Aseres bootloader that fixed my issue or the addition of:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

to my com.apple.Boot.plist

****Update to add **** (1:43pm PST 2010.11.06)

Appears my hunch is correct. With the Cartri Mac Bios 0.8, it wasn't the bootloader per se that was giving me difficulty. Adding the PCIRootUID key to the com.apple.Boot.plist allowed me to boot with Kabyl's bootloader and the Vervet framebuffer.

****Update 2 **** (2:42pm PST 2010.11.06)

Not sure if these resulst are to be believe without further investigation. I ran smalllux 1.7.1 with the Aseres bootloader and now, with the kabyl bootloader and saw the render time drop pretty significantly.

Before, with Aseres bootloader:

5151837919_3de87f0499.jpg

After, with Kabyl bootloader, Vervet framebuffer.

5151837881_ec055e2ef1.jpg

These test aren't conclusive by any means, but I thought I'd share. Gonna do some more testing and also figure out why smalllux reports my 5770 as running at 725 MHz.

Cheers-

Daryoon

Sapphire HD 5770, Retail Mac OS 10.6.4 64-bit success!

Method by Mohamed Khairy. UseAtiROM=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Chameleon RC5, boot file with Vervet FrameBuffer (Khairy's one, with Kabyl's i got kernel panic).

In E/E FakeSMC only, in S/L/E - VoodooHDA for sound. DSDT used, but original (i don't change anything in it, just generate it and put in Extra folder).

Everything works great, QE/CI, games, HD-Video, flash games, sleep-mode. I will run some tests tomorrow and post screenshots.

Hey Guys Any idea what I could try to get my Apple 27" Cinema Display Working with a genuine Apple ATI HD 5770

I can get it to run full excelleration with a standard monitor @ 1440x900 but a blank screen when the 27" is plugged in,

Any Suggestions?

Thanks Guys

Can some help me with an XFX 5770 , i have install iatkos S3 and install the 5770 kext everything is working fine exept when i login into mac sometimes the screen starts flickering and showing the desktop but flickering i have to take out the dvi and put it back in to fix it. But this happens only sometimes. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. I would appreciate this.

XFX ATI 5770 1024

GraphicsEnabler=No

Running 32bit

armin,

I just wanted to chime in and give a huge thanks to Tmongkul and to you for helping me fix the issue I was having getting my Diamond Radeon HD 5770 installed. My hackintosh was running merrily with a Nvidia 9600GT and Cartri 0.8 bios for a long time now. I thought giving it a graphics update to the 5770 would make things a bit quicker still. So thus began a day of neglecting real work, trying everything I can think of and scouring the online forums for answer. I know we modder has all been there. :o

Upon installing the card into my system, I got kernel panic during the booth process related to the graphics card. I tried everything I can find online that may help the issue, including updating Chameleon and trying out the various boot loader from Kabyl, Mohammed Khairy in combination with various framebuffers. I even tried crossflashing the Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5770 with other manufacturer's bios such as Sapphire, Asus as can be found in the Video BIOS Collection hosted by TechPowerUP. All that effort resulted in no better result.

Finally, I saw your success with the Aseres 1.1.9 bootloader that was modified by Tmongkul. Gave that a try according to your instructions as quoted above. Booted the machine up like usual in 64bit mode and it worked instantly. No more kernel panic and everything appear to be working great. Will continue testing to see if it's the Aseres bootloader that fixed my issue or the addition of:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
   <string>1</string>

to my com.apple.Boot.plist

****Update to add **** (1:43pm PST 2010.11.06)

Appears my hunch is correct. With the Cartri Mac Bios 0.8, it wasn't the bootloader per se that was giving me difficulty. Adding the PCIRootUID key to the com.apple.Boot.plist allowed me to boot with Kabyl's bootloader and the Vervet framebuffer.

After, with Kabyl bootloader, Vervet framebuffer.

5151837881_ec055e2ef1.jpg

These test aren't conclusive by any means, but I thought I'd share. Gonna do some more testing and also figure out why smalllux reports my 5770 as running at 725 MHz.

Cheers-

Daryoon

Youre welcome .- )

yes .. Aseres BL was my first successfull attempt to get 64 bit with the HD 5770 way back in summer

but right now .. kabyl and the new cham bl ... thats the way to go

and you see... your Open Cl results are very fast !

best

armin

2. MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB in Asus P6T SE MB (Vervet)

Also I got this card working in 64bit, using a boot file called "boot7" (kabyl i think) on a X58-ud5 rev. 2 bord.

But whatever I do, I only got one screen working (or the second mirroring... but no extended view).

Did you try to get 2 screens working with that card?

May I ask for some help? I'm new to building hackintoshes. I managed to get 10.6.4 installed and booting on my P6T SE with a ATI 5770. But its constrained to 1024 x 768. I'm using Chameleon and setting Graphics Enabler to 'n'.

My GEForce 8500 GT used to detect fine in 10.6.0 and displayed 1920 x 1080 but after upgrading to 10.6.2 or 10.6.4 it is also constrained to 1024 x 768.

I see some of you have succeeded with ATi 5770.

I read a guide saying we shoudl install the Apple Released Snow Leopard Graphics Update. It killed my install and i had to reinstall everything.

I see here there are various things being tried but they seem technical and i dont understand them. are you patching in a kext and rebuilding permissions and caches?

please, I need help:

i've been happily using my rig with gigabyte ga-p55a-ud4 mobo, hd5770 vga..

i was using the trauma's boot9 file (in /boot) and the ATI5000Injector.kext in /Extra

now, i had the unhappy idea of switching the bootloader to kabyl's one..

i've installed the latest chameleon from iFabio thread

when i boot normally, i see the screen that the system needs to be shutdown

when i use the -s flag, i see that the root is mounted read only..

i do follow the system hint..

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

then i do exit, and the boot hangs on this:

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

i've tryed deleting the injector in /extra, and rebuilt the cache

i've got graphicsenabler=yes and useatirom=y in com.apple.boot.plist (i've not changed it after the change of the bootloader)

what can i do? please help me

I tried many things, so i decided to use a time machine backup

i booted with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 2.5.1, then fitted the osx 10.6.4 install dvd, and run the time machine restore..

now at boot it says:

boot0: gpt

boot0: error

what can I do now? i'll try to set the partition active using terminal

Thepawn,

With Kabyl bootloader, you should have AtiFb key set in com.apple.Boot file as well. That instructs the bootloader on which framebuffer to initialize. For 5770, I have had good result with Vervet. As a result, you won't need to specify your rom. So I would remove useatirom=y.

Just boot back into safe mode like you did before. Then mount your root as read/writable. Then pico /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and make the changes as I suggested above. Save, reboot and boot in verbose mode and see if that helps.

Thepawn,

With Kabyl bootloader, you should have AtiFb key set in com.apple.Boot file as well. That instructs the bootloader on which framebuffer to initialize. For 5770, I have had good result with Vervet. As a result, you won't need to specify your rom. So I would remove useatirom=y.

Just boot back into safe mode like you did before. Then mount your root as read/writable as you. Then pico /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and make the changes as I suggested above. Save, reboot and boot in verbose mode and see if that helps.

I booted with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and the sl install dvd, in terminal I installed the previus chameleon (package supplied by trauma) and the it started running again: I WAS PRAYING for that.

now, i know that without an AtiFb key, the default is Vervet, so i didn't insert that.

now, lets start again:

what's the right procedure for switching from trauma's solution to kabyl's one?

could I simply replace the boot file in / or I must try again to install the latest chameleon build first?

the ati5000injector in /extra/extentions must be removed? at what time?

for trauma's solution I refet to this page:

http://www.darwinx86.net/forum/24-bootload...r-radeon-hd5000

the supplied package runs well for me, but I'm using chameleon rev 396

thank you!

I booted with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and the sl install dvd, in terminal I installed the previus chameleon (package supplied by trauma) and the it started running again: I WAS PRAYING for that.

now, i know that without an AtiFb key, the default is Vervet, so i didn't insert that.

now, lets start again:

what's the right procedure for switching from trauma's solution to kabyl's one?

could I simply replace the boot file in / or I must try again to install the latest chameleon build first?

the ati5000injector in /extra/extentions must be removed? at what time?

for trauma's solution I refet to this page:

[url="http://www.darwinx86.net/forum/24-bootloader/2278-chameleon-bootloader-pour-radeon-hd5000[/url]

the supplied package runs well for me, but I'm using chameleon rev 396

thank you!

Replace the boot file and remove UseAtiROM from boot plist and set GraphicsEnabler=Yes

ATi5000injector - what's that ?? get rid!

D

Replace the boot file and remove UseAtiROM from boot plist and set GraphicsEnabler=Yes

ATi5000injector - what's that ?? get rid!

D

i was already getting graphicsenabler=yes, so the difference was the UseAtiRom?

isn't that strange..? the forced reading of the bios from the file in /Extra..?

i was already getting graphicsenabler=yes, so the difference was the UseAtiRom?

isn't that strange..? the forced reading of the bios from the file in /Extra..?

not strange as Kabyls booter reads from GPU VBIOS, no need to read from separate extracted ROM file.

not strange as Kabyls booter reads from GPU VBIOS, no need to read from separate extracted ROM file.

ok, thank you!!!

i replaced the boot file, corrected the com.apple.boot.plist, and it works

now i'm using a newer chameleon, no ati5000injector and bios from file..

now to the changes:

performances from trauma's boot and 10.6.4 os are THE SAME of kabyl's one and 10.6.5!!

i'm talking about cinebench and opengl extentions viewer..

under system profiler:

now i don't have anything under pci cards..

the version of the ati kexts is now (after 10.6.5 update) 1.6.24

using smallux opencl, is now possible to run the instances extreme test..leading to a 89,6 seconds time

bye!

I took the plunge today in getting a 5770 and impulsively bought Gigabyte model GV-R5770SO-1GD. What I was surprised to find was that I was able to update to 10.6.5 and automatically have both DVI inputs working out of the box (using Cartri's boot CD to load up OSX since I didn't have a BL installed yet). What is frustrating me now is I cannot get a 3rd display working (DP on my Dell U2410).

Any suggestions? The fact that I didn't need to do anything to have the card detected and two displays working at the correct resolution means that it should be quite possible to get 3 display outputs working, just not entirely sure how to go about it.

I need to ask for help on where I'm going wrong.

I got 10.6.4 installed following this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189052

I use the Chameleon and DSDT files for my P6t SE and i7 920 CPU.

Boot loader from Flash

I followed these guides:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

What I did:

Get SnowLeopard Graphics Update and use Pacifier to extract ATI5000Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX3000.kext .

Edit in my 0x68b81002 string into the kexts by rightclicking, showing package contents, and editing info.plist. Paste my 0x68b81002 string after <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>

Extract my ATI 5770 bin file using GPU-Z and rename it to 1002_68b8.rom and put it in my boot loader's /Extra folder

Modify com.apple.boot.plist to contain:

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Use Kext Helperb7 to install ATI5000Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX3000.kext

It doesnt boot and I reinstlled 10.6.4

I also tried copying in manually and using Kext editor to repair permissions.

It doesnt boot and I reinstlled 10.6.4

(Tried backup and restore with Disk Utility, doesnt work. Tried Super Duper, always fails finding UUID to clone HDD. so no choice, full reinstall everytime. ;) )

I have also tried putting the kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder instead. Doesnt work.

I have also tried the ATI5000 injector in this post:

put it in the Extra/Extensions folder but doesnt work. (Dont understand French, just guessing)

Can I ask for help on what I'm not doing right?

I also tried replacing Chameleon's standard Boot file with the one found here:

Did not help.