ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

I don't think it would take Apple that long to release the drivers. Once the new MacPro ships, the driver will most likely be out to the public already by then.

I currently have GTX260 but is now contemplating on upgrading to HD5750 or to HD5770.

There are new ATI kexts in the 10.6.4 update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1065) for the newest iMacs (mid-2010) that were announced earlier this week. There are 21 ATI kexts plus ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext.

I tried them but was unable to get them to work, but I have also been unsuccessful with netkas' kexts. (I have a 5770.)

If someone else wants to have a go at them, let us know your results!

new ATI kexts installed, new versions from MID 2010 iMac update.

ATI5000Controller v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIFramebuffer v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000 v1.6.18

ATIRadeonX3000GA v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver v1.6.18.13.8408

ATISupport v1.6.18.13.8408

all works as normal.

ATIFramebuffer v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000 v1.6.18

ATIRadeonX3000GA v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver v1.6.18.13.8408

ATISupport v1.6.18.13.8408

all works as normal.

how can i extract them from update

regarding your sig, C4 states, P&C states are you inserting the fixes into your DSDT or are you using that Cham RC5 thats floating around?

@ atlee

No fixes for CPU in my DSDT, I am using Chameleon_RC5 to handle them.

thanks i extracted them finally :D

has any one make it work with Out aty_init :( i want to make it work with out it

tmongkol made a modified version of asere bootloader which doesn't require ATY_Init, so just use it from his previous post and boot into 64bit :D

ATIFramebuffer v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000 v1.6.18

ATIRadeonX3000GA v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver v1.6.18.13.8408

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver v1.6.18.13.8408

ATISupport v1.6.18.13.8408

all works as normal.

Have you also tried to install the updated OpenCL Framework (only ATI=AMD was updated) ?

Maybe help better OpenCL speed / let new instances scene / instances benchmark work.

You can check OpenCL with smalluxGPU OpenCL bench:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214188

Also installed the included OpenGL Framework ?

ATI .kext drivers only i think isnt really enough.

Have you also tried to install the updated OpenCL Framework (only ATI=AMD was updated) ?

Maybe help better OpenCL speed / let new instances scene / instances benchmark work.

will do further testing will extract all frameworks, see what happens.

tmongkol made a modified version of asere bootloader which doesn't require ATY_Init, so just use it from his previous post and boot into 64bit :D

i tried it many times but ended by kernel panic when reading graphics card in pcie :) so i returned to aty waiting 64bit from it :D

kexts work, however new framework brought me offline no KP just desktop dont load, even after removing all ati kexts, deleting cache, mkext, cant get it to load, tried replacing cham boot file still no fix to this, tried 2 diff boot disks still cant get desktop to load lol

anyway i will eventually get back to my desktop :(

got my desktop back replaced OpenGL with older version :) ok will retry again, soonish.

***mitch correcting my mistake, Just done a fresh install. New drivers, new frameworks. up first go.

Luxball Mid 10.3secs

Luxball Ultra 44.8secs

Sponza Ultra GPU 47.3secs

eXtreme failed, died quickly.

using newest smallluxGPU 1.7.1V3

mid range 1.2secs.

Mid Range Bench is more for lowend GPUs (9400M). Interesting are the Ultra ones (Luxball+Sponza). Will get around 40-45 sec each .

The problem maybe the Instances (very huge scene) on new ATIs. I get 150 sec. GTX 8800)

***mitch correcting my mistake, Just done a fresh install. New drivers, new frameworks. up first go.

Luxball Mid 10.3secs

Luxball Ultra 44.8secs

Sponza Ultra GPU 47.3secs

eXtreme failed, died quickly.

Just about the same scores here

9,8/36,5/44.6

after the OpenGL upgraded frameworks and drivers

nothing changed...(even updated the whole Quartz frameworks

cinema bench opengl 11.5 is slightly worse

on mac 23fr vs. 21,8 fr.

best

armin

Has anyone with a Diamond Multimedia 5770 gotten the ATI drivers to work with HDMI?

I have tried various things, but they all result in either a kernel panic or hang at boot. These are some of the things I have tried:

1. With ATY_init.kext.

2. Without ATY_init.kext, using Asere's Chameleon.

3. Uakari and Vervet framebuffers.

4. Installing ATISupport.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, and ATI5000Controller.kext first, then the remaining.

5. GraphicsEnabler on and off.

6. 32-bit and 64-bit.

7. HDMI and DVI

In verbose output, I see a panic in ATIRadeonX3000 and/or couldn't allocate class ATI5000Controller.

Hello guys, I'm new to this whole scene, and I wanted to:

1. Thank all of you for your hard work, (tmongkol,atlee, netkas, tonymac, etc.)

2. inform you guys that i have read this entire thread from 1-15 and read it twice

So I wanted to ask a question and see if you guys are kind enough to help a poor noob out.

I installed 10.6.0 SL via Empire EFI,

My especs are:

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 BE

MOBO: Gigabyte gama790gpt-ud3h

HDD: 320gb WT (exclusively for OSX)

GPU: XFX HD5700

Now the install went through fine I'm even able to upgrade directly to 10.6.4 without a hitch. The HD 5770 is working at 1020 X 768 or what ever the dullest graphics can be. I followed the guide made by Hactavist. But OSX won't boot without the Empire EFI Disc. Now I don't mind booting with it but once i do the systems boots But i get no graphics ( black Screen ).

What should I do?

I'm willing to reinstall via any other way. But since my system is an AMD my options are limited.

Thanks in advance for all your responses. KNOW that I'm willing to put in the leg-work and I don't expect you guys to hold my hand while I do it. You guys do enough with all your very informative posts.

Ok so I decided to try some things out but I still have some problems.

Originally before following HAcktivator's guide i was connected to my HP w2338h monitor via HDMI so it would go into the black screen. So i decide to do it via VGA cable with a DVI dongle and now it works.

Monitor supports up to 1920 X 1080, owever the best I can get is 1600 X 1200.

What can I do to get 1080p since that is not an option under displays?

Also my hack does not recognize my monitor its says " no monitor Connected" under Graphics and Displays. How can i get it to recognize it?

OK so now on start up the screen goes blue then asks for log on password, when I input the password it goes to the home screen for a couple of seconds then the screen goes blue again and ask for password and over and over again in an endeless loop.

P

I'm going to re-install and see what happens. Is there another something else you guys recommend other than Empire EFI?

Just about the same scores here

9,8/36,5/44.6

after the OpenGL upgraded frameworks and drivers

nothing changed...(even updated the whole Quartz frameworks

cinema bench opengl 11.5 is slightly worse

on mac 23fr vs. 21,8 fr.

best

armin

@mitch and sch8mid, i have a PowerColour PCS+ 5770 the version with faster clock speed so smallluxGPU reports 725Mhz but I have the 875Mhz model. so something isn't reporting right unless Apples system somehow slows down GFX clock when not used a bit like power management? But i don't think GFX would do that in theory.

@mitch and sch8mid, i have a PowerColour PCS+ 5770 the version with faster clock speed so smallluxGPU reports 725Mhz but I have the 875Mhz model. so something isn't reporting right unless Apples system somehow slows down GFX clock when not used a bit like power management? But i don't think GFX would do that in theory.

Right... same here . 725 Mhz .I flashed a modified bios for my 5770 on Win 7 , mainly because

I am using my rig as an htpc , so I don`t need the high clockspeeds

Win 7:

fanspeed is : 20 %

the card goes dynamically:

desktop : 200/ 600

H.264 1080p Video acceleration : 300/800 (b.t.w. 2 % CPU load !)

3D speed games : 600/1200

Wished Apple "the multimedia company" would support things like DXVA acceleration entirely on GPU after 3 years lethargie

_________

@ people with HDMI problems :

never had one single problem : panasonic plasma edit is perfectly recognized

1280x 720 even @ 50 Hz. (Verve framebuffer)

_________

Most 5770 cards have resolution problems in Win 7 as well (mostly in VGA mode)

I had only 1600X 1200 resolution and had to frickle a custom EDID override to get 1920x1200

What a hazzle, believe me...

On Mac its easy ...1600 x1200 as well

started "Switch resolutionX" ..made a custom resolution 1920x1200 ..Bingo!

best

armin

Right... same here . 725 Mhz .I flashed a modified bios for my 5770 on Win 7 , mainly because

I am using my rig as an htpc , so I don`t need the high clockspeeds

Win 7:

fanspeed is : 20 %

the card goes dynamically:

desktop : 200/ 600

H.264 1080p Video acceleration : 300/800 (b.t.w. 2 % CPU load !)

3D speed games : 600/1200

Wished Apple "the multimedia company" would support things like DXVA acceleration entirely on GPU after 3 years lethargie

_________

@ people with HDMI problems :

never had one single problem : panasonic plasma edit is perfectly recognized

1280x 720 even @ 50 Hz. (Verve framebuffer)

_________

Most 5770 cards have resolution problems in Win 7 as well (mostly in VGA mode)

I had only 1600X 1200 resolution and had to frickle a custom EDID override to get 1920x1200

What a hazzle, believe me...

On Mac its easy ...1600 x1200 as well

started "Switch resolutionX" ..made a custom resolution 1920x1200 ..Bingo!

best

armin

My card never had res issues in windows or mac, all went to 1920x1080, cards by default are 850Mhz so i don't know where it is reporting 725mhz from :P

Anyway i'm happy with what i got, I'm wondering if mac supports dual cards? If they support 5000 series, birthday coming up :(

2. Removed and rebuilt kext caches. Edited my DSDT and com.apple.Boot.plist (defines GraphicsEnabler = No for my testing).

Thanks for the great post.

So far got 5770 working great in 32Bit mode with ATY_Init.kext

But every time I try the steps for 64Bit the system just crashes one second after boot cycle starts.

You mentioned a DSDT edit. I was wondering if you could post the DSDT edit you made?

I originally compiled my DSDT with an nVidia card inside the box. Should I recompile?

rabbit