Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

Hey guys (n gals - if there are any).... :(

Any news on the videos? I just got my new lappy (after my old one died) - I've got the 1545 after being stuck with an inspiron 1300 (b130) for 4 years!!

Lost my Leopard installation (dual boot with win 7) as my 1300 (b130) just suddenly wouldn't work hence looking to get back up and running with a fresh snow leopard install.

Bought the retail disk today so hope you guys can get the tutorial vid up an running - and of course the ATI graphics card working!!!

Thanks for all your efforts - one day I hope to do the same for n00bs!

:(

Hi to all, I've patched Chameleon 2 RC4 to integrate 915resolution patch. So, you don't need IntelGMAX3100, IntelGMAX3100FB, and dsdt patching.

This makes possible to run the kernel in 64bit mode and preserve the 1336x768 native resolution, unlike the previous methods, which use modules compiled for 32bit 10.5 kernels.

@deviato

Slightly off topic, am looking to patch grub-1.98 to get a good 915resolution.mod for my grub directory. This is only for Leopard 10.5.7, but I am sure I will run into it as soon as I get my 10.6.3 SL disk in the mail. I am running a 2.6.32 64bit kernel, and plan to run 10.6.3 in 64bit with a SATA/AHCI bios setup.

I have a 915resolution patch that only seems to work on a source build for grub-1.96. I will write the 1.98 patch for everyone, just need a little more know-how and advice in order to do the leg-work. Care to slightly educate me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks man-

Dr. The Fugitive

To the thread author, sorry if this post is forbiddingly off-topic, I am hoping if it is too far off the subject, that maybe deviato will steer me to a proper place for discussion, after which I will more than happily delete this thread reply for you.

@deviato

Slightly off topic, am looking to patch grub-1.98 to get a good 915resolution.mod for my grub directory. This is only for Leopard 10.5.7, but I am sure I will run into it as soon as I get my 10.6.3 SL disk in the mail. I am running a 2.6.32 64bit kernel, and plan to run 10.6.3 in 64bit with a SATA/AHCI bios setup.

I have a 915resolution patch that only seems to work on a source build for grub-1.96. I will write the 1.98 patch for everyone, just need a little more know-how and advice in order to do the leg-work. Care to slightly educate me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks man-

Dr. The Fugitive

The grub patch is a very outdated method. As far as I remember, there was only a patch for 32bit version of grub, and even on linux isn't needed anymore due to KMS improvements (look here).

Moreover, that patch worked only with Chameleon 2.0 RC1. Starting from RC2 the effect was null, maybe for some Chameleon internal re-initialization. Now you have to use the much better and simpler solution with the same patch directly integrated into chameleon source code (mine or AnV ACPI Loader, not tested by me).

after reading up on a few things - I felt more confident progressing with my SL install. I thought it won't be hard at all - especially the one i did on my inspiron 1300 (b130) was a cinche.

When I boot up the boot disc and I install my retail OSX disc, it simply gives me a 'can't find Mach_Kernel' error.

How do I get past that??? I'm following the tutorial to the letter but can't get past that - lol!

Help anyone?

i've burned the boot iso that was in the 1st post of this thread :)

hi i have a question. everytime i boot from the boot132 cd it works fine (minus the graphics which would be nice) and everytime i boot from the hdd chameleon it gives me a kernel panic. any suggestions?

Nick:

Sounds like your chameleon installation didn't go quite right.

Same Problem with WLan... I have put the Old file to the System, now it works again.

I have Fixed the Problem with the Ati. Del atiradeonx2000.kext and system Boots Normal

I am having the same issue but no luck so far going back to an older kext. What was the date of the file you reverted to? thx.

reinstalled and still getting kernel panic...

I had this same issue and if I recall correctly one of the kext was causing the panic. More then likely I think is was the sleep kext. Your best bet at this point is to boot up on the cd and then use diskutils to mount the disk and delete any kexts you might have installed.

I had this same issue and if I recall correctly one of the kext was causing the panic. More then likely I think is was the sleep kext. Your best bet at this point is to boot up on the cd and then use diskutils to mount the disk and delete any kexts you might have installed.

Thank you very much everyone for such quick responses and help. i decided to just install everything again and i selectively chose my kexts. i now am able to boot via hdd with graphics, wireless, audio, and working touchpad. (i am to afraid to try the sleep kext lol). thanks again

could anyone upload the deviato's sleep kext because the link is no longer available.

@nickio1230

There was a link on deviato's blog on how to patch the dsdt yourself. Im going to follow it and DIY, you should too because you'll get a better match to your specific hardware

-TheFugitive

@nickio1230

There was a link on deviato's blog on how to patch the dsdt yourself. Im going to follow it and DIY, you should too because you'll get a better match to your specific hardware

-TheFugitive

how did that go for ya?

My wireless stopped working after I rebooted my machine a few days ago after installing something that let me move my app i devved over to my ipod touch.

I tried reinstalling the kexts like 5x and rebooted afterwards and still no dice.

I'm on 10.6.3 and it was working for over a month fine before this.

Any ideas?

I am exactly in the SAME situation. Did you find the answer ??

thanks in advance !!

-vx86

Hey dorien

any chance you could update your guide to include steps and process to follow when upgrading snow leopard to 10.6.4 etc.

I've tried to upgrade my dell 1545 to 10.6.4 from a retail 10.6.2 and had nothing but problems. I'm struggling to find any guides explaining the kexts that need to be re-installed etc to get a working 10.6.4 system.

any help would be great.

I'm looking to upgrade a retail 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 then 10.6.4 - i've downloaded all the individual upgrades (not the combis).

:o