Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

Hi guys this is a great topic, one question, using the method out lined on page 1 can I use a usb key with SL rather than a dvd as the install medium?

Oh and while I'm here, the 1545 I've got has a celeron cpu, will SL recognise that or do I need to updrade to a full core 2 duo?

thanks

Tara

• 3 weeks later...

I know its been a while since ive been on here. But im installing snow leopard on my friends dell 1545, same specs as mine. But here is my issue, i can not get the trackpad working whatsoever. Let me clarify, it works after install, but as soon as i install fakesmc.kext, it will not work at all. Ive tried deviatos kexts and yours, along with almost every other idea and kext online. And nothing. Ive re-installed a ton of times. Any ideas?

Hello,

I've followed these forums for a long time, but this is my first time posting.

I too just bought a Dell 1545 (T4500/4GB/320GB/4500 vid card). I've tried the steps from doreian twice and keep getting a kernel panic on my first reboot without the CD. Up to that point, everything seems good (I even have WiFi working without adding a specific kext). Anything I might be missing? Or is there another good set of instructions here somewhere?

I've previously converted my Dell 1525 and Mini 10v to dual boot off OSX and Windows 7 without issues, but this new machine is giving me some trouble. Ultimately, I'd like to also dual-boot this 1545, but baby steps first :) Thanks!

Snow Leopard DVD Retail - 10.6

I can't even get to the install screen.

I'm getting lines all over, no panic messages, nothing that is helpful to even post here.

I'm seeing the lines error all over this forum, and it's either ignored, or they gave up.

I'm trying to install on my Dell Inspiron 1545 (Laptop).

ATI Radeon HD 4330

250 GB HDD

Snow Leopard Retail DVD

Boot123 CD

The system hangs a little bit on :

Bug: launchctl.c:2325 .... != -1

it then goes past it and says...

systemShutdown false

a few moments later....

NTFS driver 3.0 Flags R/W

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

Device in slot 1

then something Perform, and then a screen with blotches and lines, scrape looking things everywhere.

So I'm on an Inspiron 1545, doing the same as everyone here, except no one is getting this issue, and no one has addressed it.

Did you have this problem before, if you did, what are your BIOS settings. How did you get around this.

In my BIOS can someone give me a run-down of what my BIOS settings should be step by step, and the flash version, anything at all. Something tells me all my problems are coming from my BIOS settings.

Also, are we even using the same hardware?

Something tells me this isn't working because I have an ATI Radeon HD 4330.

Everyone is talking about kexts that fix all this stuff, so how am I to maneuver KEXT files into the Retail DVD, when I can't even get to the install screen.

1. Format HDD Partition NTFS (120 GB HDD Partition)

2. Boot123 ISO CD -- Reboot computer to this disc

3. See the Boot screen (Chameleon)

4. Insert Retail DVD (Snow Leopard) -- Press F5 to refresh my boot screen.

5. Mac OS Install appears, Boot123 selection disappears.

6. Mac DVD takes over, and now I see scrolling Loading things (-f -v mode).

7. It gets past all the previous problems i've had (AHCI not being enabled, etc) -- AHCI is now on (windows vista is broke because of this option now).

8. Does NTFS stuff.

9. COmplains DISK IN SLOT 1

10. Blotch lines screen.

11. Repeat & the same thing every time.

Then it goes to stuff all over my screen, looks like paint brush lines everywhere, and my DVD drive thinks for a good 3 minutes, makes noise, then just sits there.

Same thing without -v, it does similar, then permanent grey screen.

This issue seems to have been ignored. I'm in to about 30 install attemps for this, over 150 hours of DVD loading, reformats, etc. I'm not sure if the laptop is designed for this much reinstalls.

Anyways, I'm ready to declare war on this laptop, can anyone please help.

sorry to sound so desperate... but I've had the worst luck possible compared to all of you when it comes to installing this.

And to answer any questions, I've read the forum, and I've used the files provided in this forum thread.

I'm using an actual Retail DVD of Snow Leopard, and I also have a USB version I tried, but got the same issue.

Any help would be dope.

Thanks

I have read this in the Wiki:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0

Radeon Mobility HD4330

ATI

Dell

in 10.6.2 Works with Chamaleon RC3 GraphicsEnabler=yes

/yes/yes

1152x1064x32 and lower

No,

Chamaleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler string required and add dev ids to 2 kexts

and this i found too:

http://www.thnkr.com/wiki/index.php?title=..._radeon_HD_4330

The Card working, but how?

What must i do, to change the resolution to 1152x1064x32?

On my system stand:

Chipsatz-Modell: ATI Radeon 4300 Mobility Series

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Steckplatz: Slot-1

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 256 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x9552

Versions-ID: 0x0000

ROM-Version: 113-B7710C-176

EFI-Treiberversion: 01.00.318

Monitore:

Unbekannter Bildschirm:

Auflösung: 1024 x 768

Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Monitoranschluss:

My System was 10.6.4

boot was PC EFI V105 Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC3 r Build date: 2009-10-21 14:34:46

My com.apple.boot.plist in L/P/S was:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1152x864x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I feel like I'm getting close on my install, but I keep getting stuck at the exact same point every time.

When I pull the DVD and try to boot directly from my hard drive (after installing Chameleon), I get a kernel panic during the gray boot screen. If I pop the SLBoot132 CD in and boot from that and then select my hard drive, no issues.

Is Chameleon not installing properly to my hard drive? I don't want to have to boot from the CD every time! Or is there another recommended boot loader besides chameleon?

Ok so, first off, you guys can ignore my last post.

I tried 4 different Snow Leopard installs above 10.6.

I DID get one working. I havn't gotten graphics support working yet, but it works.

I have 10.6.3 running on my Dell Inspiron 1545

I believe the difference between most of our installs is the video card upgrade...

The thing I installed was iAtkos s3 v2, Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Believe it or not, I couldn't even get the DVD load from this forum. I'm not sure how most of you did, maybe my graphics card was the problem.

Also, don't bother trying to install Snow Leopard / MAC in VMWare or anything for this laptop, because there's a high possibility your processor doesn't support Hardware Virtualization. (fun).

I'm using ATI Radeon HD 4330.

I kept getting ElliotLegacyRTC errors. So I deleted the kext.

I then got ATIRadeonX2000.kext errors. So I deleted the kext, and deleted the 4500 kext.

I still need to get that figured out but, I did manage to get 10.6.3 installed on dell 1545, and am happy about it.

Thanks & good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Every time i load the my mac osx dvd it tells me to restart my computer by turning it off and on again.

If i start it all over again, i get the same result. i don't use an original osx, i downloaded one. which version of osx did you use? what can be the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all. Sorry if this seems to be a repeated question. Will this method work on my system?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with an Intel Pentium T4500 2.30Ghz

4Gbs of DDR2 Ram

A Dell model Motherboard Model number: 0G848F

A western Digital 300Gb HDD

My wireless card is: Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

My graphics card is an Intel Family Mobile Intell Series 4 Express

If I am missing anything for my specs please let me know. I am using Speccy and DXDIAG to get my hardware information

Thank you in advance.

~Tr13gd3001

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i got my retail 10.6.3 working as per this guide. I sent this as a PM to doriean, but i might aswell post it here.

My specs:

Pentium dual-core@2.1ghz

3gigs of ram

intel GMA x4500HD

250gb HDD

I installed with a retail copy of 10.6.3(its $30 dont be a cheapskate!!) and the boot 132 disc.

Do NOT use the SleepEnabler.kext included with his guide. System panic'd after 2 fresh installs. If you have 10.6.4 use this kext for sleep.

Im emphasizing installing EVERYTHING in the "Extensions" folder included(except the included sleepenabler) the first time your computer boots up!!! The io80211family.kext works right away. The voodoohda does not select the right mic and the volume does not change so download this kext to get the mic and volume working right(the dsdt also works, so use it too). Im still having a hard time to get the native resolution to work :\

Preview app does not work so go download picasa. The trackpad prefpane does not work, so to change the speed of the mouse go search for "mousezoom".

Updated to 10.6.4 without issues. Wifi only needed to be installed again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTrdbjyg0Q

Get your 1545 to 10.6.4 using whatever guide / method you can find. Don't worry about what's working and what isn't. Run Chameleon 2 of one version or another at some point. That just makes the drive bootable, (this can be done right after you install, you don't have to wait till you get it to 10.6.4). Then run my 1545 Place Kexter from provided link. And it will boot with sound and wi-fi and touchpad and keyboard and battery and USB 2.0 and 1366x768 resolution / no qe/ci. The shown 1545 in the youtube video is a single core Celeron running the mach kernel so it should work on all dual cores as well, let me know. You may be able to start off with this installer from any 10.6.x install, I'm not sure. This installer just puts all the right kexts in place for you to boot with working hardware. Thank me by buying this album: Atha - Escape Velocity - on iTunes. You'll love it.

If you want to boot the legacy kernel you can edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, replace mach with legacy or let me know and I'll change it in the installer and upload a new one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v94m969ylnau3gg

Much thanks goes out to Doriean and whoever posts things on "deviato wordpress". none of this work is mine, i just took the things that worked, and compiled them into one package to make things easy. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R8V57AMA

Read me files are on each of the steps, so not much researching is needed.

Whats included?

Part 1 consists of things to get your system to boot up without kernel panics, and includes a trackpad driver to enable multitouch! Part one MUST be installed on your first boot up.

Part 2 consists of the wifi driver so you can update to 10.6.4 After you have updated, you can install the audio and sleep-enabler.

Part 3 consists of a new bootloader, and a patch to enable native,1366x768, resolution

Much thanks goes out to Doriean and whoever posts things on "deviato wordpress". none of this work is mine, i just took the things that worked, and compiled them into one package to make things easy. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R8V57AMA

Read me files are on each of the steps, so not much researching is needed.

Whats included?

Part 1 consists of things to get your system to boot up without kernel panics, and includes a trackpad driver to enable multitouch! Part one MUST be installed on your first boot up.

Part 2 consists of the wifi driver so you can update to 10.6.4 After you have updated, you can install the audio and sleep-enabler.

Part 3 consists of a new bootloader, and a patch to enable native,1366x768, resolution

This sounds good but what's wrong with megaupload? 2 hours to download 35MB?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTrdbjyg0Q

Get your 1545 to 10.6.4 using whatever guide / method you can find. Don't worry about what's working and what isn't. Run Chameleon 2 of one version or another at some point. That just makes the drive bootable, (this can be done right after you install, you don't have to wait till you get it to 10.6.4). Then run my 1545 Place Kexter from provided link. And it will boot with sound and wi-fi and touchpad and keyboard and battery and USB 2.0 and 1366x768 resolution / no qe/ci. The shown 1545 in the youtube video is a single core Celeron running the mach kernel so it should work on all dual cores as well, let me know. You may be able to start off with this installer from any 10.6.x install, I'm not sure. This installer just puts all the right kexts in place for you to boot with working hardware. Thank me by buying this album: Atha - Escape Velocity - on iTunes. You'll love it.

If you want to boot the legacy kernel you can edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, replace mach with legacy or let me know and I'll change it in the installer and upload a new one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?v94m969ylnau3gg

Eggmcmuffin's Audio driver works much better than the one I used.

I forgot to mention that there's a Preview fix in my installer I'll post that by itself so you can combo the drivers.

Snow Leopard Preview Fix:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7p54r104kpvxb87