Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

Hi!

And thanks for the tutorial!

However, I'm using an original retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (disk version 1.0), but get stuck.

1) I boot with the SL boot132-disk

2) Swap to the SL install disk (when the lizard appears with "SL boot132", "System Reserved" and "Windows NTFS" to choose from)

3) Hit F5 (twice usually does it, the first press will display distorted icons of a disk etc)

4) Choose "Mac OS X Install DVD" and hit return

1st try some text scrolled down, and then an opaque textbox appeared saying I had to restart the computer. Doing so rebooted my original W7 installation.

2nd try no text scrolls by, but after a while of a bright screen with an apple appeared, and nothing happened after that.

Will try a few more times, but if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

[edit]

3rd try gives the same bright screen with an apple, but this time a "loading" circle is doing turns below. However, an icon appears on top of the apple looking kinda lika a graphical error, a circle with a tilted line trough it. The loading-animation stops after a copule of minutes, and then nothing happens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow what a great thread!

I am now successfully at 10.6.6! With everything working as described.

I want to update to .7 then .8 is this a straight forward process? Or do I need to do anything specific?

Might be worth mentioning I have the 1545 with the celron CPU.

Cheers

Rich

My bad, i ment to say thank you for all the info this is indeed a great thread. i'm using the snow leopard 10.6.3 disk that came with my iMac following page one of this forum. The prob is i keep getting stuck, after i choose the languge it says i have to do a time machine back up and that it can't be installed on this computer. i go ahead and partition and so on as instructed and the install window doesn't come back up. please help. Just so i am clear i did make sure to format to fat32 prior to install. I even went so far as to install a new hdd, formatted it then tried again still the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I still can't seem to do this without time machine popping up after I select the language. I've read this entire thread and no one seems to be having the same issue. If anyone can throw me a hint as to what it may be I would truly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Edit- I forgot to mention I am doing this on the Dell Inspiron 1545. Another edit- Man does anyone ever check this thread?

No, there are no drivers for Intel GMA 4500MHD video, the best you can do is native resolution.

/EDIT

I found some source code, I don't know if it compiles, whether it works or if it will blow up your girlfriends laptop:

http://code.google.com/p/hack-my-mac/

i'm using the snow leopard 10.6.3 disk that came with my iMac

You can't use that disk, it will only work on the Mac it came with. You must use the Snow Leopard DVD that is sold separately in the Apple Store.

• Like 1

No, there are no drivers for Intel GMA 4500MHD video, the best you can do is native resolution.

/EDIT

I found some source code, I don't know if it compiles, whether it works or if it will blow up your girlfriends laptop:

http://code.google.com/p/hack-my-mac/

You can't use that disk, it will only work on the Mac it came with. You must use the Snow Leopard DVD that is sold separately in the Apple Store.

could you compile it for us? (((:

• Like 1

Well I now have an awesome duel boot OS X 10.6.6 and Win 7 Ultimate on my Dell Inspiron 1545. Thank you guys so much for all this info without it I most likely would have been lost. Between this thread and many others I have everything except sleep and QE/CI. Not sure I want to try the link above, then again I do have a clone of my current configuration so maybe I'll try it. If I do I'll let you guys know how it gos.

hey all. i put the boot123 on a sd and used flashboot to make it bootable.

ok that part works fine.

i burned a dvd with the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg using transmac

i boot my 1545 to the sd and it gets to chameleon. i pop the sd out and put my dvd in the drive and keep on pressing f5 however the cd/dvd never shows. do i need to burn the cd/dvd a special way? i use an iatkos build before.. im kinda stumped. should i just burn boot123 to a cd?

ok, so i need to get a iatkos disc.. like v7 10.5.7 again and then use the update?

i just tried to install iatkos s3 but it keeps failing.. tried 3 times and it wont verify the install. i looked at the log while it was installing

:(

i know lion doesnt work on this laptop but i wanted to at least use snow leopard until i get a macbook pro in march

delltoosx: I had the same prob. Just spend the 30.00 and get the real retail snow leopard. This will save you a bunch of time and trouble. I ordered mine through apple and got it in a business day. If there is an apple store near you just go there.

Edit: oh and reading this entire thread is very helpful they have links to everything, just look it all over carefully. I would not try the sleep.kexts they kp on my dell Inspiron 1545 no matter what version I try. But that's up to you.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone, I used tonymacx86 install guide with ###### 3.3.0 and a retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 with the green sticker labelled "New Version 10.6.3" on the top right of the box. I cannot start up the Installation of Snow Leopard. I have used this boot flag "-f -v PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No" and when viewed in verbose mode, the last line states:

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

I do not know what to do next...

Hardware specifications

Dell Studio 1555 (very close to Inspiron 1545)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40 Ghz

Ram: 4GB shared

Video: 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Thanks much appreciated, I don't understand why our models being mintutely different produce a working laptop and another totally bogus laptop. Any help is much appreciated!!!! :)

• 6 months later...

ok first i need to calm down...

really excited...

can someone please reupload the kext files for 10.6 specifically for the dell 1397 wifi, x4500 video card, or just completely reupload all files that were available.

i already have 10.6 up and running, but no internet access and cannot update to 10.6.x or 10.7.x, i really hope someone still reads this and has the files backed up.

if someone has dropbox, or other free service, use that i will 100% mirror these files for the next 10+ years on my dropbox.

oh and if you still have the IDT High Definition Audio kext that too would be just the best, tired of beating my head on my desk clicking away at links and getting no where lol!

thanks, i guess you got my facebook wall post, did you figure out why adf.ly was redirecting your files to a exe file loaded with trojan hits yet?

i just upgraded to 106.8 and have to figure out why it gets stuck waiting for dsmos now.

also i will be drop boxing these files permanently and posting a link later on.

• 1 month later...

thanks, i guess you got my facebook wall post, did you figure out why adf.ly was redirecting your files to a exe file loaded with trojan hits yet?

i just upgraded to 106.8 and have to figure out why it gets stuck waiting for dsmos now.

also i will be drop boxing these files permanently and posting a link later on.

fallen00sniper, have you had any luck with this? I'm running Leopard now on my 1545, but want to get SL on it, and it appears the links are no good that devaito posted a couple of posts back

• 7 months later...

I am really wanting SL on my laptop, i have had two of these and installed 10.5.8 on both but i wanted SL because it is more compatible with programs i use i have tried downloading the kexts and stuff but links where not found, i have found them elsewhere here is a link to the kexts and boot321.iso and kexts utility: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByC32f9GNCpuNGN3SlRQV25NNjA/edit?usp=sharing i also have a torrent for the combo update. i am just about to install SL to secondary partion on my HDD for triple boot with win 7 and backtrack (ubuntu), I'll let peeps know how install has gone. :)