Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

Native resolution; YES! Deviato's fix for Dell 1545 with GMA4500 chipset.

qe/ci: No - but I'm hopeful one of the genius' will come up with the fix soon.

Specs: GMA4500

Preview; weird. If I click on the image, I get a blank. If I hover over the image and tap the spacebar, I get the preview. I can't explain it.

Untill QE is fixed, you can replace it with an app called justlooking. Works fine without QE and does the same thing as preview. When you install it will ask you if you want to use it instead of preview, answer yes.

Sorry Everybody Ive Been Gone For A Few Weeks...As Ive Been Just Way To Busy...

But With A Little Luck...Here I Am....

Im Gonna Start Checking In Everyday...

Hope Things Have Been Good For Everybody...

Cant Wait To Read All The Progress...And

Again Thanks To Everybody For Helping Out And Pitching In..

It Really Does Matter...

OP, thanks for this. I tried many boot loaders, but this is the one that is working for me.

I have a new Inspiron 1545

GMA X4500HD

Last time, I tried to instal the kexts via your instructions, but got the must restart error. I started over, and will save that step for later. I think it was the sleep kext that was giving me problems.

Once I get this problem, is there a way to remove the faulty kext without having to reinstall the whole system? SHould I create a Time machine backup to restore with? would that save me time?

thanks!

mad props to doriean and deviato...

Sorry, about this, but I'm probably in over my head with this stuff. But I really like the Mac OS and I'm willing to suffer the growing pains...

to review: once I get SL installed, I need to...

-fix boot issue

-update 10.6

-install kext (deviato seems to have a lot of the files, but I'm not sure how to do it.)

-install windows 7 (& ubuntu?)

-setup for dual boot

does this look right? Is there a particular order for this? Will I need to reinstall boot files and kexts after I update with system software?

I see someone posted about how to remove panic causing kexts, however, I don't know how to navigate to the correct volume using terminal. do I need to mount it first? what's the cd command for getting over to the volume where I want SL installed?

Thanks

mad props to doriean and deviato...

Sorry, about this, but I'm probably in over my head with this stuff. But I really like the Mac OS and I'm willing to suffer the growing pains...

to review: once I get SL installed, I need to...

-fix boot issue

-update 10.6

-install kext (deviato seems to have a lot of the files, but I'm not sure how to do it.)

-install windows 7 (& ubuntu?)

-setup for dual boot

does this look right? Is there a particular order for this? Will I need to reinstall boot files and kexts after I update with system software?

I see someone posted about how to remove panic causing kexts, however, I don't know how to navigate to the correct volume using terminal. do I need to mount it first? what's the cd command for getting over to the volume where I want SL installed?

Thanks

After the update you,ll have to reinstall all kexts. The order you install 7 or ubuntu doesn't matter. I used PcEfi no chamaleon. I hope it helps. Regards. Mipf06

Thanks Mipf06,

I will look through your posts to see what you did.

Currently, SL will load, but I have to boot using the boot CD from this guide.

I've tried two different Chameleon installers including those from this CD. the initial chameleon comes up, but after choosing OS X, it wont start up.

After installing the boot files, do I need to edit the permissions/ownership on the files manually? If so, to what?

I'm wondering if my initial conditions are incorrect. pre-install, do I need to have a working install of Windows on teh hard drive first? because I wiped that when i installed OS X.

thanks

Thanks Mipf06,

I will look through your posts to see what you did.

Currently, SL will load, but I have to boot using the boot CD from this guide.

I've tried two different Chameleon installers including those from this CD. the initial chameleon comes up, but after choosing OS X, it wont start up.

After installing the boot files, do I need to edit the permissions/ownership on the files manually? If so, to what?

I'm wondering if my initial conditions are incorrect. pre-install, do I need to have a working install of Windows on teh hard drive first? because I wiped that when i installed OS X.

thanks

I tried several times with chamaleon but I only could boot from the SL DVD. So I installed Empire Efi and voila!!! I saw my SL.

For installing W7, erased one partition in SL (using disk utility) as fat, then restart with W7 and format that partition as NTSC. Then follow the instruction. You should have no problem with that. Once in W7 installed Easy BCD, repair HFS, and add Mac boot. When you restart you'll have the option to do it on W7 or SL.

Hope it helps. Regards. Mipf06

ok. after much trial and tribulation with trying to install bootloaders...

Last night I started over... reformatted the drive, etc, etc.

Here are my specs.

Inspiron 1545, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, 2.2GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache

4GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm

widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366x768)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

500G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Integrated Network Card

8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card

Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam

9-cell Primary Battery

using the bootloader disk from this thread, I got leopard loaded.

most things work, when I boot with this boot loader, except for the GMA X4500 (yes, I've read several threads about that), and the sound. and sleep

I updated the apple software, upto 10.6.2 and nothing seemed to break. (using CCC along the way to backup to another partition.)

Now I tried to install chameleon via the terminal. I used the PDF directions (part 3) from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

as per that guide, I set a separate partition for chameleon. However, I used the files released by deviato. see http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/ch...-gma-version-2/

And now I have a problem.

I think I did the chameleon install correctly, b/c that does boot automatically. and I see all the SL installations I have on various partitions, however, none of them boot. It begins, but then I get the "you must restart" message in several languages.

so... I put back the boot CD and boot from that... and now I can get to SL.

I only put the boot files in place. I have not installed any kext files yet. could that be the problem or is the boot setup wrong? Am I correct in thinking that the boot CD somehow provides some kext functionality, even though it is not installed on the HD?

please let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

thanks in advance.

I tried several times with chamaleon but I only could boot from the SL DVD. So I installed Empire Efi and voila!!! I saw my SL.

For installing W7, erased one partition in SL (using disk utility) as fat, then restart with W7 and format that partition as NTSC. Then follow the instruction. You should have no problem with that. Once in W7 installed Easy BCD, repair HFS, and add Mac boot. When you restart you'll have the option to do it on W7 or SL.

Hope it helps. Regards. Mipf06

Mipf06, I tried the Empire EFI, but it still wasn't working. however, I had attempted to install other stuff too, so, I have no idea which thing is at fault. hence, why I started over.

when you say "add Mac boot" above. what do you mean? is that something I do in windows? or are you referring to installing the chameleon boot files?

thnx

ok. after much trial and tribulation with trying to install bootloaders...

Last night I started over... reformatted the drive, etc, etc.

Here are my specs.

Inspiron 1545, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, 2.2GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache

4GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm

widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366x768)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

500G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Integrated Network Card

8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card

Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam

9-cell Primary Battery

using the bootloader disk from this thread, I got leopard loaded.

most things work, when I boot with this boot loader, except for the GMA X4500 (yes, I've read several threads about that), and the sound. and sleep

I updated the apple software, upto 10.6.2 and nothing seemed to break. (using CCC along the way to backup to another partition.)

Now I tried to install chameleon via the terminal. I used the PDF directions (part 3) from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

as per that guide, I set a separate partition for chameleon. However, I used the files released by deviato. see http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/ch...-gma-version-2/

And now I have a problem.

I think I did the chameleon install correctly, b/c that does boot automatically. and I see all the SL installations I have on various partitions, however, none of them boot. It begins, but then I get the "you must restart" message in several languages.

so... I put back the boot CD and boot from that... and now I can get to SL.

I only put the boot files in place. I have not installed any kext files yet. could that be the problem or is the boot setup wrong? Am I correct in thinking that the boot CD somehow provides some kext functionality, even though it is not installed on the HD?

please let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

thanks in advance.

Mipf06, I tried the Empire EFI, but it still wasn't working. however, I had attempted to install other stuff too, so, I have no idea which thing is at fault. hence, why I started over.

when you say "add Mac boot" above. what do you mean? is that something I do in windows? or are you referring to installing the chameleon boot files?

thnx

Hi,Good Old Neon, YES you must make the addition on W7 via Easy BCD. I don´t make the installation as you did. I just erased the disk via disk utility as guid, 2 partitions and then installed SL in one of them. Then installed wifi, updated, restarted, reinstalled wifi, PS2, bluetooth, video and Empire Efi. Restarted. Then erased one partition (not SL, of course) as fat and put in W7 dvd. restarted via DVD and installed W7 inthe partition that i had erased before.I updated W7, installed a few things i needed and Easy BCD. That´s all. Everything is working!!!.

PD: I've the same dell.

Here you have Easy BCD. Only install it on W7. Good Luck! Mipf06

I forgot, ALWAYS repair permissions!!!. Regards. Mipf06

EasyBCD_1.7.2.exe

OMG! It LIVES!!!

I got the auto-boot to work. I'm now trying to get sound working. has anyone gotten sleep to work?

will post later with more details.

Thanks Mipf06. those details will come in handy when I'm ready for that step.

another question. on my official mac computer 10.5, I have a "property list editor" app. I'm not sure why, but that didn't come up in my hackintosh. does anyone know?

please help. I really messed something up. the keyboard and mouse are not working. I cannot F2 or F12. I don't know how to change the boot order with the keyboard like this. chameleon comes up, but I cannot do anything when the keyboard doesn't work.

:P

When trying to use Sleep that happens to me too, just unplug your laptop and start it up again.

I've been using this guide amongst others, over the past week and have a sucessful Windows 7 and Snow Leopard dual boot on my Inspiron 1545.

I thought I'd better post what I've done and what drivers I have just as a referance to others who may come across this.

Firstly, I used a modified Snow Leopard so that it would install on MBR, as this guide requires that you format your HDD to GUID.

I installed SL and then used the all the Kexts located in the Extensions folder that Doriean so kindly provided, except for the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext and the VoodooPS2.prefPane.

Instead of those I used the ones provided by Deviato (here: http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/de...eopard-10-6-2/)

For the wireless I used the kexts provided by Doriean, but for the audio I used the kexts from Deviato, same link as above.

The 1336 x 768 kext provided by Doriean didn't work at all for me, so instead I used the modded Chameleon Bootloader from Deviato, again same link.

I then updated SL using the update combo dmg, but had to reinstall the wireless and audio kexts, so far everything else seems fine.

Anyway, despite pretty much everything working I do have a couple of problems.

First, I get a popping noise every now and then from the speakers, regardless of whether it is on mute or not, except it seems, when I playing audio.

Secondly, I am unable to use Sleep, it just causes the screen to freeze and I have to reboot.

Lastly, although not a problem with the computer itself, is that I cannot find any software for read/writting NTFS drives that are 64 bit compatible. Paragon have release Paragon NTFS 8 which works on 64 bit systems, but you have to buy it.

So, my questions are: how can I (is it possible) to stop the popping, is there a way of enabling sleep and is there any way of using Macfuse, or for that matter Paragon 7 on 64 bit?

I hope this helps and thanks a lot to Doriean and Deviato.

When trying to use Sleep that happens to me too, just unplug your laptop and start it up again.

thanks.

It worked for me after I removed the battery, unplugged power and pressed power on button. After I replaced power cord, it worked.

must've been the sleep issue for me too. b/c the comp was locked up after I came back from a CCC backup.

still haven't gotten audio to work.

I'm not getting some weird stuff after running repair permissions with disk util. so I guess, I'm going to start from scratch again.

Lastly, although not a problem with the computer itself, is that I cannot find any software for read/writting NTFS drives that are 64 bit compatible. Paragon have release Paragon NTFS 8 which works on 64 bit systems, but you have to buy it.

I thought that OSX could read NFTS, but not write.

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it's supposed to allow your windows to read HFS+ http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

thanks.

It worked for me after I removed the battery, unplugged power and pressed power on button. After I replaced power cord, it worked.

must've been the sleep issue for me too. b/c the comp was locked up after I came back from a CCC backup.

still haven't gotten audio to work.

I'm not getting some weird stuff after running repair permissions with disk util. so I guess, I'm going to start from scratch again.

I thought that OSX could read NFTS, but not write.

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it's supposed to allow your windows to read HFS+ http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

Yeah it can read, I meant to just put write and yeah disconnecting all power sources seems to sort out the sleep problem after effects.

hi dude !

first, big thanks to you, i am burning the Max OS X Snow Leopard Retail version but i just would like to know one thing, my video card is not an intel's one but it's a Radeon HD4330, so which driver should i install ?

thanks man !

Can confirm the above kext works well, although it is a shame that ya canny turn the LCD off. Is there anyway to get the computer to hibernate, or is that what sleep is?

Also, my fan seems to be running a lot more than it used to, I don't know if it has anything to do with OS X, but if anyone thinks that maybe it has?

Oh and one last thing, I just realised I can't play videos, I just get a black screen, I am assuming that it is because I use the modded bootloader from Deviato, can anyone confirm that using the kexts from Doriean allow you to watch video? Because if so, then I shall have to try them again.

Doriean and Deviato, this is really awesome. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and files!!!

Here's a Neon update...right now, I went Doriean's base extensions. I like them b/c the computer starts up fairly fast. keyboard, trackpad work, wireless works. still not settled about what to do with sound and audio. I should've gotten better hardware.

I am having similar problems as Perezvon...

when using deviato's sound kext, random popping in the speakers.

not sure what to do about sleep. I'm not sure what I can and can't do to keep it from crashing. If I close the lid, the monitor seems to go into a screen saver or sleep mode, and everything comes back ok. Will doing that help save battery power?

I'm eager to try out deviato's new fix. I will try later tonight.

Anyway, despite pretty much everything working I do have a couple of problems.

First, I get a popping noise every now and then from the speakers, regardless of whether it is on mute or not, except it seems, when I playing audio.

Secondly, I am unable to use Sleep, it just causes the screen to freeze and I have to reboot.

anyway, I'm psyched everything else seems to be working.

questions about kexts: if the instal instructions say to put into S/L/E can I still use the kext in my chameleon E/E folder?

Thanks,

Neon

Can confirm the above kext works well, although it is a shame that ya canny turn the LCD off. Is there anyway to get the computer to hibernate, or is that what sleep is?

Also, my fan seems to be running a lot more than it used to, I don't know if it has anything to do with OS X, but if anyone thinks that maybe it has?

Oh and one last thing, I just realised I can't play videos, I just get a black screen, I am assuming that it is because I use the modded bootloader from Deviato, can anyone confirm that using the kexts from Doriean allow you to watch video? Because if so, then I shall have to try them again.

For hibernating I don't know, sleep should turn off the LCD, but a missing driver for GMA4500 prevents doing it.

For videos, it's still a graphics card fault, and there's no solution at the moment: even with kexts, you will only get native resolution (at most).

However, you could watch videos with quicktime. For codec problems you can install Perian.

I will try to help. but you should post your system specs and what you've done so far.

Can you still boot up with your boot 132 disk?

yes dude !

i've dell studio 1545

core2duo T6400 @ 2GHZ

2x2GO RAM

ATI Radeon mobility HD4300 Series

(bought in may 2009)

well, i boot my laptop on the cd of boot 123, when i'm front of "chameleon panel", i put SL 10.6 retail DVD, i refresh, i can see the apple with loading circle, and then a forbidden sign appears on the bottom of the apple.

I've tried before with iAtkos v7, iDeneb and followed each tutorials corresponding and no one is running.. i've problems with all of these versions.

EDIT : meanwhile, i've installed windows 7 on, and now, when i do the same manipulation (with boot 123 & co), i cannot boot on SL's DVD, i just can see before_install_SL106.JPG (each windows logo's are partitions of my HD).

I thought that maybe it was a GMA4500 problem, but from the stuff that Doriean supplied the kexts require that you put the dsdt.aml in your Mac root, but I've already got the one you supplied for the audio and sleep, so is there anyway to merge to the two?

yes dude !

i've dell studio 1545

core2duo T6400 @ 2GHZ

2x2GO RAM

ATI Radeon mobility HD4300 Series

(bought in may 2009)

well, i boot my laptop on the cd of boot 123, when i'm front of "chameleon panel", i put SL 10.6 retail DVD, i refresh, i can see the apple with loading circle, and then a forbidden sign appears on the bottom of the apple.

I've tried before with iAtkos v7, iDeneb and followed each tutorials corresponding and no one is running.. i've problems with all of these versions.

EDIT : meanwhile, i've installed windows 7 on, and now, when i do the same manipulation (with boot 123 & co), i cannot boot on SL's DVD, i just can see before_install_SL106.JPG (each windows logo's are partitions of my HD).

Misternice,

I'm new at this too, so I don't know much, but I will try to be helpful.

whenever I get that (that blurred line of text), I hit F5 again, and that usually fixes it and allows me to boot. I don't think that is an artifact of installing windows.

Is your HD formatted GUID? I'm not sure if that is a requirement, but that's what worked in my setup.

I'm not sure why you get the forbidden sign. I had to try 4-5 different boot132 CDs before I found one that worked for me. and you should try each one two or three times in a row. sometimes it takes a second shot before it works. the "studio" might be different enough from the "inspiron" that this particular boot CD will not work.