Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Oh yeah... so it is!

I have just built the current v2 from the sources.. (for testing purposes only of course)

Wow, you've been busy Rekursor....

(Hope you don't mind me having a sneak?)

:D

No I don't mind, but please stick with stable version meanwhile,

because I can't give warranty you can even build the sources while I'm brutally coding :)

I've managed to add localization to the source code and so i've updated my issue with the new Italian.lproj that is needed to compile v2 with the two localizations.

From what I see till now i'll suggest a "User editable" panel for adding things like EFI string, or option that the official build don't support like in the last version of Lizard.

That to avoid lack of compatibility in the next versions of chameleon or derivates

I've managed to add localization to the source code and so i've updated my issue with the new Italian.lproj that is needed to compile v2 with the two localizations.

From what I see till now i'll suggest a "User editable" panel for adding things like EFI string, or option that the official build don't support like in the last version of Lizard.

That to avoid lack of compatibility in the next versions of chameleon or derivates

I think it'd be easiest to use an app called ilocalize(its free for opensource projects), it allows you to update the latest english.xib with your translation, so that u don't have to redo every gui change (the current xib is already different from the one u translated)

Thx for the utils! Here's a patch which which won't show non-system partitions:

Could someone with WinXP confirm that they have a file /Windows/system.ini

btw: how do i create a new branch in the svn?

Thanks Buche Good Job!

I incorporated your changes and fixed very few bugs:

I fixed the case where Windows 7 is here with (EFI boot partition that should not be filtered and also added Linux case). it's in the devel. branch.

I think it'd be easiest to use an app called ilocalize(its free for opensource projects), it allows you to update the latest english.xib with your translation, so that u don't have to redo every gui change (the current xib is already different from the one u translated)

Good to know!

I've just finished the translation of the new xib.

Thank you for your advice I'll check that app now!

I don't know if this has been suggested, i even did a quick search in this topic but didn't find it.

What about putting a radio button for switching between 32 bit and 64 bit kernel flags? Also one for booting consistently in verbose mode? I think that would add a bunch of functionality for average users as well as power users. I'm sure it would be easy for someone who knows what they are doing to insert the values into the com.apple.Boot.plist file via the pref pane.

I don't know if this has been suggested, i even did a quick search in this topic but didn't find it.

What about putting a radio button for switching between 32 bit and 64 bit kernel flags? Also one for booting consistently in verbose mode? I think that would add a bunch of functionality for average users as well as power users. I'm sure it would be easy for someone who knows what they are doing to insert the values into the com.apple.Boot.plist file via the pref pane.

they are working on this things check here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208466

...next new version in development (codename Gandalf) has the goal to put all the bootConfig value...

Hi,

I'm using the last svn code to build Chameleon and I've added system UUID to smbios that way:

<string>SMsystemid</string>
<key>xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx</key>

but I get the same one PlatformUUID that I get without it (38BB254A-98C1-50A8-B1A5-EA1BC002A567)

Is this because I did something wrong?

Only

SystemId=<uuid>

is recognized,

because SMUUID is a reserved (for now unused) keyword property in SMBIOS.

So from my mod to the future RC5, we decided (after much discussions) to only keep SystemId, which belongs to the com.apple.Boot.plist config,

and which conforms the standard naming for boot config options.

Please update it from the trunk now and try it,

should work great (works here),

now the trunk also include the FADT 2.0 compliant fix from JrCs ;)

Please note that we are currently testing the trunk for regressions,

I use this version and it works for me,

but until an official release ; use it at your own risk !

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm using the last svn code to build Chameleon and I've added system UUID to smbios that way:

<string>SMsystemid</string>
<key>xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx</key>

but I get the same one PlatformUUID that I get without it (38BB254A-98C1-50A8-B1A5-EA1BC002A567)

Is this because I did something wrong?

Only

SystemId=<uuid>

is recognized,

because SMUUID is a reserved (for now unused) keyword property in SMBIOS.

So from my mod to the future RC5, we decided (after much discussions) to only keep SystemId, which belongs to the com.apple.Boot.plist config,

and which conforms the standard naming for boot config options.

Please update it from the trunk now and try it,

should work great (works here),

now the trunk also include the FADT 2.0 compliant fix from JrCs ;)

Please note that we are currently testing the trunk for regressions,

I use this version and it works for me,

but until an official release ; use it at your own risk !

Thanks,

Ok, I'm using the one with FADT 2.0 fix but there is something wrong in the Help from what I see:

SystemId=<UUID> [DEPRECATED since RC5] Set manually the system id UUID,

96 Please use SMBIOS config option "SMsystemid" instead.

97 SMUUID in smbios config is also DEPRECATED

98 and won't be supported in next releases.

I've used SMsystemid like written here and so my problem came out, now i'll put SystemId in c.a.B.p and i'll post back soon. it's working good as expected!

Thank's for the reply

Folks I have something interesting for you to test:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...eonPrefPane/bin

It's the 2.0b1 of the preferences pane, with the promised four more tab-panels ...

I'm still enhancing the underlying parser engine for better future support and extensions but meanwhile you can play with a full functional beta today.

(Please don't forget to backup your original com.apple.Boot.plist if you didn't do that already)

It's the 2.0b1 of the preferences pane, with the promised four more tab-panels ...

I'm still enhancing the underlying parser engine for better future support and extensions but meanwhile you can play with a full functional beta today.

(Please don't forget to backup your original com.apple.Boot.plist if you didn't do that already)

This causes my system preferences to crash.

something wrong with creating, recreating com.chameleon.prefPane.plist, when I use one from previous version it works and it looks very promising ! but I have only one hd in BootFrom.. tab. If I delete old com.chameleon.prefPane.plist and do new install - there is no new com.chameleon.prefPane.plist created in /Library/Preferences and System Pref craches after selecting chameleon..

Doesn't cause my system to crash, but...

~Second time starting it, I get a message that says "System Preferences must be restarted to use this pane"

~The info next to my primary Snow Leo partition is blank until I "click the lock to allow changes"

~Says "System Preferences (32-bit)" above Sys Prefs Panel. Did it always say this? EDIT: No, removing Cham pref pane, this goes back to just "System preferences"

~No option for RestartFix=Yes ?

Great work, Rekursor... :)

Top job rekursor, works very well the last 2.0b1. No crash, nothing problem. Great thing the options in the panel for com.apple :)

Hi, thanks

Thanks a lot folks for your feedback,

I think I found why some of you experiment a crash and fixed it (when pref file was not created yet-> crash),

I also fixed potentials problems that can occurs when dealing with different versions of the prefs chameleon file.

So This new version 2.0.b3 should be more fun for all of you :wacko:

(See upper for the repository link)

Doesn't cause my system to crash, but...

~Second time starting it, I get a message that says "System Preferences must be restarted to use this pane"

~The info next to my primary Snow Leo partition is blank until I "click the lock to allow changes"

~Says "System Preferences (32-bit)" above Sys Prefs Panel. Did it always say this? EDIT: No, removing Cham pref pane, this goes back to just "System preferences"

~No option for RestartFix=Yes ?

Great work, Rekursor... :wacko:

First check that you use the 106 version for Snow Leopard (105 is for 10.5.8)

If no boot partitions are found it might be that it did not find the com.apple.Boot.plist.

You can force this value to point on the boot config file (in the Boot Setup pane) that is really the one that the booter uses.

Hope this help

Thanks a lot folks for your feedback,

I think I found why some of you experiment a crash and fixed it (when pref file was not created yet-> crash),

I also fixed potentials problems that can occurs when dealing with different versions of the prefs chameleon file.

So This new version 2.0.b3 should be more fun for all of you :wacko:

(See upper for the repository link)

First check that you use the 106 version for Snow Leopard (105 is for 10.5.8)

If no boot partitions are found it might be that it did not find the com.apple.Boot.plist.

You can force this value to point on the boot config file that is really the one that the booter uses.

Hope this help

BTW, I just tested 2.0.b3 on SL 64 bits mode and it works great so far with the 106 bin, I also tested the 105 bin with my old 10.5.8 config successfully.

BTW, I just tested 2.0.b3 on SL 64 bits mode and it works great so far with the 106 bin, I also tested the 105 bin with my old 10.5.8 config successfully.

No crashes after clean install but still only one HD in BootFrom.. tab here:

post-402044-1264454654_thumb.png

thanks

s

No crashes after clean install but still only one HD in BootFrom.. tab here:

post-402044-1264454654_thumb.png

thanks

s

Thanks, rekursor, but i have exactly same problem...

And two things more:

the info.plist says version 1.0.2 ...

the format in "Boot From" is Right alignment in "Name", Centered in "Partition", and Left alignment in "File System" maybe all be formated with same style ?