Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Tested v5 and the mod for having it in System, all working good also the swap disk function.

I've removed the original staruppanel and changed the icon to use the original one from apple.

StartupDisk.prefPane.zip

post-464373-1263944297_thumb.png

Can you make it more apple like with a icon view instead of the list?

I like it also like now. just an idea.

I did the same change of icon ;)

The tableview is handy and compact on purpose,

but I plan to add some litlle icons still ...

Thanks for the feedback!

I clutched myself into some kind of infinite, impossible loop, after some testing I found out that I dont need boot-uuid= kernel flag anymore, then I had to remove Scan Single Drive option and fun started here again: changing disk numbers, booting system A then B ...arghhh...!

I think I need some rest now :D maybe tomorrow will have some fresh ideas

I am glad to announce that the beta 6 and all associated sources, README, APSL license is available at:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleonApplications/

To get the binaries:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...eonPrefPane/bin

To get the sources (and included binaries in ChameleonPrefPane/bin) from svn:

svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chamel...lications/trunk

I added cosmetics with customized icons for Mac,Windows, Linux, and and standard one for unknown os/parts.

I added a new swap 0<->2 fix for those who asked

I started to polish the GUI

It's already more powerful that the original startup panel IMHO, as you can select Linux partitions as well ...

Curious world where we can challenge the original mac software now with ours, in couple of days ... :(

I am glad to announce that the beta 6 and all associated sources, README, APSL license is available at:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleonApplications/

To get the binaries:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...eonPrefPane/bin

To get the sources (and included binaries in ChameleonPrefPane/bin) from svn:

svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chamel...lications/trunk

I added cosmetics with customized icons for Mac,Windows, Linux, and and standard one for unknown os/parts.

I added a new swap 0<->2 fix for those who asked

I started to polish the GUI

It's already more powerful that the original startup panel IMHO, as you can select Linux partitions as well ...

Curious world where we can challenge the original mac software now with ours, in couple of days ... :)

It's great for a beta!

I've changed the com.apple.boot.plist cause default is in S/L/... to /Extra/ and now it's working ok.

The icons are cool but maybe they are better with transparency. :(

nice done

Curious world where we can challenge the original mac software now with ours, in couple of days ... :)

Another update!.. it's been great watching you work and bring this from an idea to an almost finished item.

Thanks very much for your contribution and I look forward to seeing anything else you have in mind ;)

EDIT: and now beta7... you move quickly.. fantastic.

It's great for a beta!

I've changed the com.apple.boot.plist cause default is in S/L/... to /Extra/ and now it's working ok.

The icons are cool but maybe they are better with transparency. ;)

nice done

Thanks, please feel free to edit the tiff files in the Resources subdir,

I'll update them if they are better :)

Beta 7 available, tab views, sleep and shutdown added ...

Thanks, works fine for me, I suggest you if is possible those changes:

Add Options for timeout, verbose mode, etc in settings tab.

Option to change language to match with system settings.

Move version and bootConfig squares to "About" or Settings tab.

Hallo Masters of Chameleon ;)

I have a question but very bad english.... sorry

I have on my "Mac" Chameleon RC3 + PCEFIv10.5

When my "Mac" starts, comes Bootscreen (see picture please). Windows 7 starts only, when i click on "System-reserviert". Gives a option to hide "System-reserviert" but when i click on Windows 7, my Mac starts from hide "System-reserviert"?

Puuhhhh.... my english is very bad.... in german is better...

Can you understand me?

Best Regards

A.

bootmenue.jpg

Hallo Masters of Chameleon :)

I have a question but very bad english.... sorry

I have on my "Mac" Chameleon RC3 + PCEFIv10.5

When my "Mac" starts, comes Bootscreen (see picture please). Windows 7 starts only, when i click on "System-reserviert". Gives a option to hide "System-reserviert" but when i click on Windows 7, my Mac starts from hide "System-reserviert"?

Hi Ankhsunamun

This is a common question that I have read about before and there are two current options that I can think of:

1. Wait until the next version of Chameleon is released that will hopefully have rekursor's patch which will allow you to rename the System Reserved partition to Windows7. Then you can also use the existing boot option to hide the existing Windows 7 partition. (Rekursor's source files are available at the Chameleon repo, but not the binary as of yet. If you want it now then you can build it yourself).

2. Re-install Windows7 but don't let it create the System Reserved partition. You can do this by not installing Windows7 on the first partition of an HDD.

Hi rekursor, top job, but i have a problem: the com.apple anywhere not changed from your soft, i would say that any path i modify in data.plist for the com.apple, it is never modified, never. Is there a fix for this problem?

Hi and thanks :(

Thanks, please feel free to edit the tiff files in the Resources subdir,

I'll update them if they are better :D

I made a set of .png (for transparency; obviously it needs mMacOSXImage = [self getImageResource: @"MacOSX" ofType: @"png"]; instead of tiff etc.)

Could u add "Microsoft" to int PartitionInfo::indexFromFs() (My Win 7 shows up as Microsoft Basic Data)

ChameleonAltPNGs.zip ( 14.55K )

I made a set of .png (for transparency; obviously it needs mMacOSXImage = [self getImageResource: @"MacOSX" ofType: @"png"]; instead of tiff etc.)

Could u add "Microsoft" to int PartitionInfo::indexFromFs() (My Win 7 shows up as Microsoft Basic Data)

Nice.

Hope you don't mind, but I have re-saved the cdrom and linux ones to be only 4KB in size like the other two.

Here's all four of them again.

ChameleonAltPNGs (Removed to save confusion as DieBuche has re-posted below)

EDIT: (Responding to post below)... No probs. Good job :D

Thanks, works fine for me, I suggest you if is possible those changes:

Add Options for timeout, verbose mode, etc in settings tab.

Option to change language to match with system settings.

Move version and bootConfig squares to "About" or Settings tab.

It's planned to add as many useful option settings as possible soon,

This why I added a tab view panel :)

I am not keen on moving the status to about because I want you folks to immediately notice that something is wrong if it is.

ChameleonAltPNGs.zip ( 14.55K )

Consider this as done thanks :D

TY, I oversaw that. i edited mine slightly, to make the mac icon have the same width as the others..

I'll check that as well Thanks !

It's planned to add as many useful option settings as possible soon,

This why I added a tab view panel :)

I am not keen on moving the status to about because I want you folks to immediately notice that something is wrong if it is.

Consider this as done thanks :D

I'll check that as well Thanks !

Rekursor- you're the man! Nice job with all of the edits everyone! You guys are the best! Will the next beta of the preference pane support EFI partitions? I can't seem to get mine to show up in the preference pane. Am I missing something?

Hi rekursor, top job, but i have a problem: the com.apple anywhere not changed from your soft, i would say that any path i modify in data.plist for the com.apple, it is never modified, never. Is there a fix for this problem?

The reason might be that you have more than one com.apple.Boot.plist, please check without overrride what the panel sees,

then come back to me,

Thanks!

Rekursor- you're the man! Nice job with all of the edits everyone! You guys are the best! Will the next beta of the preference pane support EFI partitions? I can't seem to get mine to show up in the preference pane. Am I missing something?

In the README you have an option to force the bootConfig to a path of your choice,

Thanks !

TY, I oversaw that. i edited mine slightly, to make the mac icon have the same width as the others..

omg, the icons are awesome, great collaborative works folks :D

Going to add a CREDITS file as well :),

I will also add all of you people that report this precious feedback, because you are really helpful !

In the README you have an option to force the bootConfig to a path of your choice,

perfect solution thanks !

After doing some tinkering in BIOS (disk startup order) I am getting more positive effects, still testing..

at the moment swap disk option seems not doing anything for me, I mean in beta5 changes were visible in the disks choice window, now nothing changes, am I doing something wrong ?

thanks

s

Hi Ankhsunamun

This is a common question that I have read about before and there are two current options that I can think of:

1. Wait until the next version of Chameleon is released that will hopefully have rekursor's patch which will allow you to rename the System Reserved partition to Windows7. Then you can also use the existing boot option to hide the existing Windows 7 partition. (Rekursor's source files are available at the Chameleon repo, but not the binary as of yet. If you want it now then you can build it yourself).

2. Re-install Windows7 but don't let it create the System Reserved partition. You can do this by not installing Windows7 on the first partition of an HDD.

Or you could rename System Reserved to Windows7 Boot or Win7x64 or whatever, in Windows disk manager, then hide windows7 partition using boot option!

Hi rekursor, now the com.apple with the last beta is changed. Top job.

But the problem is another, simply (sorry for my english):

The partions map read from diskutil list and thus from your software does not correspond to the real, to the real map of partitions of bios, infact, for example:

if i boot my SEVEN partition on 0,2 like your software read, don't boot SEVEN, but the BOOT OSX of a disk of my raid. And this happen with the numbering of diskutil list for all my boot system. So if i insert manually in "default partition" in com.apple the correct value, 1,2 like the list that i see in my bios obviously my pc boot whit seven.

(You consider that my first "disk" in bios is ALWAYS my boot pen)

Now, simply, so like my previous request, you can insert a option for insert MANUALLY our, personal, list of partition with the correct values (bios). It would be amazing this option and so this software would be PERFECT, simply PERFECT.

I hope that is clear :)

perfect solution thanks !

After doing some tinkering in BIOS (disk startup order) I am getting more positive effects, still testing..

at the moment swap disk option seems not doing anything for me, I mean in beta5 changes were visible in the disks choice window, now nothing changes, am I doing something wrong ?

thanks

s

Yes it was a side effect of new tabs control, the swap is now saved and working again.

New beta8 fixes this, adds new icon, add 'Microsoft' partition name for detection for icon handling add troubleshooting section, update binaries to 1.0b8

Thanks!

if i boot my SEVEN partition on 0,2 like your software read, don't boot SEVEN, but the BOOT OSX of a disk of my raid. And this happen with the numbering of diskutil list for all my boot system. So if i insert manually in "default partition" in com.apple the correct value, 1,2 like the list that i see in my bios obviously my pc boot whit seven.

(You consider that my first "disk" in bios is ALWAYS my boot pen)

Please use Beta8 available now and go to Settings, select the corresponding swap disks option.

rekursor: I can't use the latest beta8 it just crashes the system preferences app. I've attached the crash report.

Another issue about asere's bootloader (rekursor's version works fine): It just restarts after I select the partition to boot, it loads the extra extensions and then instant reboot. I have tried PciRoot and PCIRootUID (1 in my case) but same result. Don't know what it could be, maybe ram detecting issue though I've cleared all info about ram in the smbios plist.

THANK YOU ALL for the fantastic job and keep on it, I'll test anything you deliver.

rekursor: I can't use the latest beta8 it just crashes the system preferences app. I've attached the crash report.

Another issue about asere's bootloader (rekursor's version works fine): It just restarts after I select the partition to boot, it loads the extra extensions and then instant reboot. I have tried PciRoot and PCIRootUID (1 in my case) but same result. Don't know what it could be, maybe ram detecting issue though I've cleared all info about ram in the smbios plist.

THANK YOU ALL for the fantastic job and keep on it, I'll test anything you deliver.

mmmm, tested the released 1.0b8 bin in the repository, works fine here on 10.6.3 ;)

I don't have 10.6.2, so can't test here, please dowload the sources and build them with xcode in debug mode

then add a 'custom executable' which is the System Preferences app in /Apllications in xcode from the build menu,

double click on the build/Debug prefpane to install the debug version, then go to xcode and run build & debug.

Then open the debbuger (shift command Y) and make a screen copy of the stack calls or all the debugger window,

Thanks.

Thanks, please feel free to edit the tiff files in the Resources subdir, I'll update them if they are better ;)

I don't have a need for it personally (only booting OS X on my hack) but a lot of people are going to love this. Great job Rekursor!

Eh sorry. I call (adding sleep and shutdown) bloat ;)