Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot folks for your feedback,

First check that you use the 106 version for Snow Leopard (105 is for 10.5.8)

That was it. Thanks.

When I click the Swap hd 0<->2 option in the boot setup, the pref pane crashes instantly. Does this every time I try it.

My Snow drive is shown as hd(2,1) if I tab in Chameleon, and this is what I have default set to in order to really default to that partition. However, it shows in the pref pane as being hd(3,2). Sorry if I'm missing something here, but how do I get it to read correctly? Choosing swap 0<->1 doesn't help, and the other crashes it.

Rekursor, mine:

MacX:~ userx$ diskutil list
  /dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*80.0 GB	disk0
  1:			   Windows_NTFS Win 7				  17.2 GB	disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Mac OS X				12.9 GB	disk0s2
  3:					  Linux						 1.6 GB	 disk0s3
  4:			   Windows_NTFS X-Files				48.3 GB	disk0s4

Another thing the help in "Boot Config Path" showing at move mouse cursor says same as in "Swap hd 0 <->1 and the help button not works.

While 1.0 worked on my machine, first beta of 2.0 was hanging System Preferences.

2.0b3 seem to work fine. Thank you! :)

I noticed only one problem so far. On the list of partitions, I can see only my Snow Leopard partition. First version of panel (1.0.2 I think) showed them all. In case you need it, I got 10.6.2 with Chameleon RC4 modded by Dr.Hurt. AHCI is turned on in Bios. Specs in the signature.

Rekursor, mine:

/dev/disk0

Another thing the help in "Boot Config Path" showing at move mouse cursor says same as in "Swap hd 0 <->1 and the help button not works.

Thanks, the tooltip will be corrected in b4, like RestartFix add on and bad default display of YesNo option when default is Yes.

But for your parts display problem, please try to play with the freeze partion checkbox (put it on and off) and have a look to what it gives.

While 1.0 worked on my machine, first beta of 2.0 was hanging System Preferences.

I noticed only one problem so far. On the list of partitions, I can see only my Snow Leopard partition. First version of panel (1.0.2 I think) showed them all. In case you need it, I got 10.6.2 with Chameleon RC4 modded by Dr.Hurt. AHCI is turned on in Bios. Specs in the signature.

Thanks check in panel 2 if you have the good hd swapping mode, check that you dont hide this partition (see Hide Partition), you can interact with the graphical and text display of default, hide rename partitions once you select a default partition.

It will refresh the graphical and text fields in live mode.

Thanks check in panel 2 if you have the good hd swapping mode, check that you dont hide this partition (see Hide Partition), you can interact with the graphical and text display of default, hide rename partitions once you select a default partition.

It will refresh the graphical and text fields in live mode.

Hi Rekursor - Top job again!

v2.0.b3 working great for me with the kernel in 64-bit mode.

Thank you.

Thanks BlackOSX !

EDIT: 2.0.b4 is available here:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...eonPrefPane/bin

But for your parts display problem, please try to play with the freeze partion checkbox (put it on and off) and have a look to what it gives.

Manual edition of com.chameleon.prefPane.plist with freeze option enabled works, but automatic detection in this version not works, only show the mac os x partition and before worked fine in 1.x.

Checking, Unchecking, Press Inject Parts or removing preferences file give same results.

Manual edition of com.chameleon.prefPane.plist with freeze option enabled works, but automatic detection in this version not works, only show the mac os x partition and before worked fine in 1.x.

Checking, Unchecking, Press Inject Parts or removing preferences file give same results.

Use free parts for the 2.x versions, you can directly edit com.chameleon.prefPane.com plist file in /Library to customize it and you should not have to do that often :)

I am intrigued by your problem as automatic detection shoudl works when combined with hd swap options ...

As we are currently planning further extensions in post RC5, that will store chameleon info by hacking the ioregs and then you will not need that temporary fixes anymore ...

please give me a status of your current config with as much detail as possible on the disks, os x version, if you log on with standard use rights or admin rights, if you run 32 or 64 bits versions when having problems, if the boot.com.Boot.plist correspond to the that is used in the booter, ...

Thanks

As we are currently planning further extensions in post RC5, that will store chameleon info by hacking the ioregs and then you will not need that temporary fixes anymore ...

please give me a status of your current config with as much detail as possible on the disks, os x version, if you log on with standard use rights or admin rights, if you run 32 or 64 bits versions when having problems, if the boot.com.Boot.plist correspond to the that is used in the booter, ...

Thanks

I use Snow 10.6.2, chameleon 2.0RC3 and boot with in 32 bits mode with arch=i386 and i have administrator rights (but I´m not root) and yes the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist is the used in the booter.

This is my boot.plist:

<dict>
  <key>Boot Banner</key>
  <string>No</string>
  <key>DSDT</key>
  <string>/dsdt.aml</string>
  <key>Default Partition</key>
  <string>hd(0,1)</string>
  <key>Kernel</key>
  <string>mach_kernel</string>
  <key>Kernel Flags</key>
  <string>arch=i386</string>
  <key>SMBIOS</key>
  <string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
  <key>Timeout</key>
  <string>3</string>
  <key>UHCIreset</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
 </dict>

My partition is MBR type:

(0,1) Windows 7 NTFS

(0,2) Snow 10.6 HFS+

(0,3) PC Linux 2008 Ext3

(0,4) Shared NTFS

Thanks

Please send me a dump with diskutil list

Also a screen copy of the Boot Setup pane might help,

Thanks!

Hi Rekursor, here you go:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*251.0 GB   disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS 45					  47.1 GB	disk0s2
  3:				 Apple_RAID						 203.5 GB   disk0s3
  4:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk1
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:				 Apple_RAID						 250.9 GB   disk1s2
  3:				 Apple_Boot RX0					 134.2 MB   disk1s3
  4:				 Apple_RAID						 303.2 GB   disk1s4
  5:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk1s5
  6:				 Apple_RAID						 445.5 GB   disk1s6
  7:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk1s7
/dev/disk2
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*203.9 GB   disk2
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk2s1
  2:				 Apple_RAID						 203.6 GB   disk2s2
  3:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk2s3
/dev/disk3
  0:				  Apple_HFS PURPLE				 *406.9 GB   disk3
/dev/disk4
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk4
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk4s1
  2:				 Apple_RAID						 250.9 GB   disk4s2
  3:				 Apple_Boot RX1					 134.2 MB   disk4s3
  4:				 Apple_RAID						 303.2 GB   disk4s4
  5:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk4s5
  6:				 Apple_RAID						 445.5 GB   disk4s6
  7:				 Apple_Boot Boot OSX				134.2 MB   disk4s7
/dev/disk5
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*79.9 GB	disk5
  1:			   Windows_NTFS						 21.0 GB	disk5s1
  2:			   Windows_NTFS XP50_PROGS			  53.7 GB	disk5s5
/dev/disk6
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.5 TB	 disk6
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk6s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS TMACH				   1.5 TB	 disk6s2
/dev/disk7
  0:				  Apple_HFS RAIDX				  *501.8 GB   disk7
/dev/disk8
  0:				  Apple_HFS MULTIX				 *606.4 GB   disk8
/dev/disk9
  0:				  Apple_HFS DATAX				  *890.9 GB   disk9
/dev/disk12
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*8.0 GB	 disk12
  1:				 DOS_FAT_32 UBUNTU				  8.0 GB	 disk12s1

Boot Setup pane:

post-402044-1264464483_thumb.png

thank you !

I use Snow 10.6.2, chameleon 2.0RC3 and boot with in 32 bits mode with arch=i386 and i have administrator rights (but I´m not root) and yes the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist is the used in the booter.

My partition is MBR type:

(0,1) Windows 7 NTFS

(0,2) Snow 10.6 HFS+

(0,3) PC Linux 2008 Ext3

(0,4) Shared NTFS

Thanks

I believe I have a track:

Please temporarily remove your hd rename partition options and test ...

I believe I have a track:

Please temporarily remove your hd rename partition options and test ...

rename partition option is not checked, the above partition list is a "hand" made, the disk util list is this:

/dev/disk0

Hi Rekursor, here you go:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

thank you !

WOW, I didn't know that we could install more than 10 disks on a single PC ;)

Ok, thank you guys for the diskutil traces I'm going to find a solution for both of you that experiment this problem.

I already made some fixes, but it needs more than simple look to have a chance to work in your context.

I'm on it!

EDIT:

Done, I have enhanced the autodetection part to handle more accuretaly mac and windows bootable partitions.

False assumptions that windows partitions would be named windows was made, I also changed the osx boot files detection names and finally increased the parsing capabilities of disk enumerations to support up to 32 disks!

You can grab a 2.0.b5 HERE

Have fun with the Chameleon control Panel !

... Done, I have enhanced the autodetection part to handle more accuretaly mac and windows bootable partitions.

False assumptions that windows partitions would be named windows was made, I also changed the osx boot files detection names and finally increased the parsing capabilities of disk enumerations to support up to 32 disks!

You can grab a 2.0.b5 HERE

Have fun with the Chameleon control Panel !

The bug still is here, only OS X partition is detected.

The bug still is here, only OS X partition is detected.

Are your Windows partitions bootable ??

Because I used a debug panel mode where I load your disks from your diskutil list output that you gave me (instead of mine) and it works here.

Please PM me the content of your unseen partitions ROOT dir so that I can analyse them.

(i.e: use ls -al /Volumes/X-Files ...)

EDIT: Make sure you don't have the Freeze Partitions mode activated, otherwise all you will see is what you injected before this new version1 ...

Thanks

Are your Windows partitions bootable ??

Because I used a debug panel mode where I load your disks from your diskutil list output that you gave me (instead of mine) and it works here.

Please PM me the content of your unseen partitions ROOT dir so that I can analyse them.

(i.e: use ls -al /Volumes/X-Files ...)

Thanks

Those 3 partitions are bootable:

(0,1) Windows 7 NTFS

(0,2) Snow 10.6 HFS+ <--- This is the Active partition

(0,3) PC Linux 2008 Ext3

And this not:

(0,4) Shared NTFS

Or the preference only check partitions/disks bootable by bios ?

:huh:

Very nice improvements! This is the way it should be done, with the booting features in the Startup panel.

I got the same issue with invisible WIN partitions. Only the OS X partitions are showing.

Question or feature request: Is it possible to have the partition that's currently default preselected in the window?

Keep up the good work.

regards,

MAJ

:huh:

Very nice improvements! This is the way it should be done, with the booting features in the Startup panel.

I got the same issue with invisible WIN partitions. Only the OS X partitions are showing.

Question or feature request: Is it possible to have the partition that's currently default preselected in the window?

Keep up the good work.

regards,

MAJ

I already created a custom table view so that the disabled currently selected custom color does not prevent the part name to be visible (by default apple make it grey on grey, mmmm not nice!)

Will be in next b6, available soon ...

Please use the ls -al /Volumes/My_Windows_Partition/ command from a terminal window and PM me the result

Here's an extract of the filtering code that will accept a windows partition as in b5:

fileExists("/Volumes/" + diskLabel + "/ntldr") ||

fileExists("/Volumes/" + diskLabel + "/bootmgr") ||

fileExists("/Volumes/" + diskLabel + "/Boot") ||

fileExists("/Volumes/" + diskLabel + "/pagefile.sys") ||

fileExists("/Volumes/" + diskLabel + "/hiberfil.sys")

so if you don't have any of these files (on the extreme right of these lines, then for me it's not a windows partition :)

Please Note that it implies that the partitions are mounted. Though I'm a magician, I can't guess whats inside with the partitions not mounted :D

Last version tested and working.

But I have some question, are GUI=No/yes and PciRoot=0/1 , still supported in chameleon?

I ask because I use them with derivate works and I don't remember if Chameleon support them or not.

I think that to support all the options we need also a panel with "device-properties" for EFI string (maybe in a v3 also with gfxutil integrated so it would be more easy to make modifications :huh: ) and another one with custom options for future compatibility with other options not yet implemented.

Actually I use Lizard to edit my com.apple.Boot.plist AND smbios.plist and I have no problem, but I like the way you guys are working and the progression made with chameleon.

Could I ask you if somebody is experiencing Hibernations problems with Chameleon2RC4 ?

My linux Ext3 partition is not mounted in os x, then is and will be not detectable ?

No because for linux we only validate the fstype as we can't have it mounted in standard osx installs,

so it also means that other linux partitions will be showned but then it can be hidden.

Folks I think I found how to solve your windows/linux partitions not showing prob.:

Please try the beta 6 here:

Please try the beta 6 [/url]

Trying it now and the selected partition is clear! Nice job rek!

I have no windows partition so no problem with the detections, I see only bootable partitions.

Please, do you know if GUI=No/yes and PciRoot=0/1 are still supported in chameleon?

Still not works,

without freezed parts selected:

capturadepantalla201001e.png

selected (custom edit):

capturadepantalla201001y.png

Edit:

I suggest you a little cosmetic change, swap Restart and Shutdown Buttons.

And in "RestartFix" check box, if is enabled by default then change check box to "Disable RestartFix".

Thanks.

i dont know if this is OT but anyone can help me? i have disk0 500GB running dedicated snow on RC4 and 1TB disk1s1 MBR is snow backup OS and disks1s2 is windows 7. when i try to boot windows7 using disk0 RC4 i get cannot find NTLRG or something and it just stay there and wont boot but if i choose disk1s1 (backup snow OS) it's booting..

help please, Thank you.

@rekursor, will your preference panel work on my setup? i'm using RC4 EFI partition

500gb = GPT snow 10.6.2 RC4 bootloader

1TB = MBR 1st partition 10.6.2 / 2nd partition is Win7 64bit (i use the 500GB as bootloader)