10.6.2 Released!

pauℓzurrr.

178 posts in this topic

I tried everything. Both DVI Ports, converting it to HDMI, or use just either one of them. No luck. Now I'm running 10.6.2 with 10.6.1 kernel and kexts.

I have 2x DVI on my 8800GT(s) PCI-e gfx card - have working DVI with 2560x1600 nothing to do. Thats why I bought that card for my hackingtosh (a real MacPro used the 8800 too).

update succesfull with rebelefi.... no modify my kext !!! all is good...

Did you just update from SL or did you have to go through Rebel?

I bought my Rebel the day after it was released. It worked well when I made my SL, but I haven't been able to log into the the program since. I don't want to screw things up.

So is anyone having luck with the black screen graphics issue? The only way I can get a display is by removing NVEnabler but that sticks it in a low-res mode.

I had the black screen problem too.

After several tests (new DSDT, different enablers (chameleon, efi string, injectors), 32 or 64bit),

I've come to the conclusion, that my second display was the culprit. As soon as I disconnected it,

my system booted just fine.

But as I need my second display, and reconnecting it froze the entire desktop, I just replace the 3 kexts

in S/L/E starting with NVDA with the ones from 10.6.1 from my time machine backup.

The version of 10.6.2 was 6.0.6 and the drivers from 10.6.1 are 6.0.2, so no big difference.

Now my displays are both working again as they did in 10.6.1. Everything else is vanilla 10.6.2 and I

enabled my graphics via GraphicsEnabler=Yes in PC EFI 10.5

I hope that helps...

I had the black screen problem too.

After several tests (new DSDT, different enablers (chameleon, efi string, injectors), 32 or 64bit),

I've come to the conclusion, that my second display was the culprit. As soon as I disconnected it,

my system booted just fine.

But as I need my second display, and reconnecting it froze the entire desktop, I just replace the 3 kexts

in S/L/E starting with NVDA with the ones from 10.6.1 from my time machine backup.

The version of 10.6.2 was 6.0.6 and the drivers from 10.6.1 are 6.0.2, so no big difference.

Now my displays are both working again as they did in 10.6.1. Everything else is vanilla 10.6.2 and I

enabled my graphics via GraphicsEnabler=Yes in PC EFI 10.5

I hope that helps...

That definitely help! I tried replaced just the 50HAL and it KPed. And I can confirm replacing all 3 NVDA kexts resolved the problem.

I enabled my graphics via GraphicsEnabler=Yes in PC EFI 10.5

I hope that helps...

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I only have 1 display connected through DVI. What drivers are you using (nvinject, nvkush)?

That definitely help! I tried replaced just the 50HAL and it KPed. And I can confirm replacing all 3 NVDA kexts resolved the problem.

What did you replace them with?

made backup of kernel and extensions, updated and worked without a problem. no need to patch anything back.

cool. now trying to figure out how to get gma950 64bit to work. just greeted with a black screen when I boot with 64bit. everything working 100% 32bit.

Hi TGD

I have an e1505 as well great to see the update went without problems. I was wondering if you could post the kext (just a list not the actual files) that you are using. I would just like to compare yours to mine before I do the update. Thanks.

Hello,

SUCCESS !

OSX 10.6.1 server retail updated with delta (smaller) to 10.6.2 only removed sleep enabler.kext and used the new patched Null CPU...kext from netkas.

Rebooted, no KP no error, gfx, LAN = all still like before.

post-55980-1257861717_thumb.jpg

You have a damn config there ... :(

Anyone try to upgrade an atom yet?

Darwin 10.2.0 on the Atom, acts just like the vanilla kernel on my amd computer, It just reboots..

It does in fact break atom support..

Backup 10.6.1 mach_kernel and then restore after update and all working fine.

(Re-run NetbookInstaller after reboot. IF your not using this you should be :) )

Kernel Panic for me, Blue and black screen with corrupted image. I'm almost sure the problem is with HD4850 as usual. Tried to:

- Removed sleepenabler.kext, applecpupowermanagement.kext (before install update 10.6.2)

- restore deviceid in ati4800controller.kext,

- reinstalled all previous kexts working on 10.6.1,

- instaled EFI 10.5, was usung 10.4.1 in SL10.6.1

No luck with any of these steps...

I'm able to boot from Darwin Boot CD in safe mode (-x) ethernet working but stretched low res video but it sucks!!! Can't boot in safe mode directly from HD though.

If anyone has a solution please post!

Just bumped over to 10.6.2 on a vanilla install and I'm having KPs before I can barely get out of the Chameleon loader. I've tried deleting SleepEnabler, I've tried updating NullCPUPM.kext, I've tried using the updated SleepEnabler. I keep having KPs. From what I read, they seem to be related to com.apple.dsmos. I'm using the org.netkas.fakesmc kext. I don't think I ever installed the com.apple.dsmos myself, it was there from the vanilla install.

Should I delete the com.apple.dsmos? netkas wrote on his blog "dont use dsmos.kext anymore, use fakesmc.kext" What am I doing wrong here?

Strangely, I can boot from my SL USB key and everything's fine...

I'm having the same exact problem as you are (instant KP upon boot). Booting in verbose doesn't seem to indicate anything about any kext problems, only some gibberish about panic(cpu 0, caller)... and a bunch of hex strings.

Also, I can boot normally when I plug in my back-up 10.6.1 install on my USB. When I boot successfully and check Console, I notice that it seems to be loading Darwin Kernel 10.0.0 from the back-up and doesn't try to load Darwin kernel 10.2.0.

I thought I had a pretty vanilla install (did blackosx's method on a EP45-DS3L with Q6600) except two minor differences.

- I installed with PCEFI 10.1 and never bothered to update it. Moreover, I manually edited the CPU information as per aquamac's guide here (this was before PCEFI 10.5 came out.) After the update to 10.6.2, I noticed the file that I modified to put in the CPU info looked like it reverted, but About this Mac still shows the string that I entered. So perhaps somewhere this CPU string is messing with the kernel?

- After getting my vanilla install up, I moved it over to a 2-disk software RAID. Maybe there's something about this softraid that's screwing it up.

Also, my Vmware 3.0, which worked perfectly in 64-bit mode, gives me an instant KP upon trying to launch a vm.

I'm thinking of reinstalling on another drive, this time using PCEFI 10.5 to autodetect the CPU and not mess with the About this Mac string.

I'm having the same exact problem as you are (instant KP upon boot). Booting in verbose doesn't seem to indicate anything about any kext problems, only some gibberish about panic(cpu 0, caller)... and a bunch of hex strings.

Also, I can boot normally when I plug in my back-up 10.6.1 install on my USB. When I boot successfully and check Console, I notice that it seems to be loading Darwin Kernel 10.0.0 from the back-up and doesn't try to load Darwin kernel 10.2.0.

I thought I had a pretty vanilla install (did blackosx's method on a EP45-DS3L with Q6600) except two minor differences.

- I installed with PCEFI 10.1 and never bothered to update it. Moreover, I manually edited the CPU information as per aquamac's guide here (this was before PCEFI 10.5 came out.) After the update to 10.6.2, I noticed the file that I modified to put in the CPU info looked like it reverted, but About this Mac still shows the string that I entered. So perhaps somewhere this CPU string is messing with the kernel?

- After getting my vanilla install up, I moved it over to a 2-disk software RAID. Maybe there's something about this softraid that's screwing it up.

Also, my Vmware 3.0, which worked perfectly in 64-bit mode, gives me an instant KP upon trying to launch a vm.

I'm thinking of reinstalling on another drive, this time using PCEFI 10.5 to autodetect the CPU and not mess with the About this Mac string.

I resolved this issue in this way: I booted from my 10.6 USB stick, then went into the console. I xopied /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext to another directory, then deleted the one in the extensions folder. Ran KextUtility to rebuild the cache, then rebooted. I was able to get in just fine. I didn't ever recall putting dsmos in there, but I guess I had. It didn't show up in kextstats.

A note, though: If you do this MAKE SURE you have Fakesmc.kext from netkas! I had to use it. I can boot now without a KP, but I get some weird error in the verbose boot about FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length – 6.

Even though things are running smoothly now, I don't know if that error is going to mean bad things down the road. No one seems to know anything about it. Best of luck in the meantime!

@kitmac:

Yes there are!

Sys is in Sig. DVI2VGA Adapter as my 32" LG has no other input and Palit 9800GT has no HDMI out ........

Update went smooth and without any hazzle. I guess the problems might be related more to the mainboard and dsdt than the GPU.

Cheers

Goron

Here's my second problem after installing the 10.6.2 update. (The first problem being 'sleepenabler.kext' which caused a kernel panic during boot up. Luckily netkas' updated 'sleepenabler.kext' fixed that. ;) )

I've been using a TU2-ET100 TRENDnet USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter and it worked great on 10.6/10.6.1.

Networking stopped working after updating to 10.6.2, it still shows up in the system profiler as 'AX88772' and in system preferences/network it shows "USB Ethernet Not Connected".

I found this while searching google for a fix...

"The MacOS update seems to contain an updated driver for USB ethernet:

Mac OSX 10.6.1: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.0.9

Mac OSX 10.6.2: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernet version 2.1.0"

Any suggestions? Thanks