Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Kakewalk 3.0 is finally out!.  You can download it from www.kakewalk.se

Changes:

v3.0
- Added Chameleon RC5 r594
- Added support for P55-USB3
- Added Lnx2mac's Realtek network driver
- USB method for installation no longer available. (It was too difficult to maintain two versions)
- Improved stability during installation with P55 chipset
- Fixed a lot of bugs
- New look</em>

v2.2
- Added support for X58A-UD3R
- Fixed sound with G41M-ES2L in 10.6.3
- Fixed issues with X58A-UD7 (Orange HDDs, Sound)

If you run into any problems be sure to let me know

Just updated to 10.6.5

Lost sound!

Motherboard EX58-UD3R

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance!

Reinstall the Kakewalk package to regain sound.

Upgrading to Kakewalk 3.0:

- Make sure to delete /System/Library/Extensions/Realtek1000SL.kext

- Download and install this Kakewalk package: http://cl.ly/461M1L383E0g473S0w1t

Hi Guys,

i'm curios to start using Snow Leopard with help of Kakewalk i have a motherboard "GIGABYTE G41M-ES2L", now i'm planing to buy a compatible Graphic Card, so can anyone tell me will this card be compatible to work out of box in combination with this MB?

This is the card ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT (EN9500GT/DI/1GD2/V2 Whopping 1GB Memory)

Graphic card details: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iYdTdRLx8rRY8Sgb

Anyones help will be usefully because i'm planing to buy it in 1-2 days.

Thanks in advance!!! :-)

Hi Guys,

i'm curios to start using Snow Leopard with help of Kakewalk i have a motherboard "GIGABYTE G41M-ES2L", now i'm planing to buy a compatible Graphic Card, so can anyone tell me will this card be compatible to work out of box in combination with this MB?

This is the card ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT (EN9500GT/DI/1GD2/V2 Whopping 1GB Memory)

Graphic card details: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iYdTdRLx8rRY8Sgb

Anyones help will be usefully because i'm planing to buy it in 1-2 days.

Thanks in advance!!! :-)

IMHO the 9500GT is old and the performance is not really good !!!

How much you want to pay out ?

CooSee ' Ya

IMHO the 9500GT is old and the performance is not really good !!!

How much you want to pay out ?

CooSee ' Ya

Well i have G41M-ES2L mb and Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300. I'm not a game player so i suppose that the Asus nVidia 9500GT is ok for Application and Web Development on SL. What i'm afraid is that this 9500 GT version won't be compatible with SL and Kakewalk. Max i would pay is 90$ for another one if 9500GT does work out of box, so any tip about this card and its working under SL ?

Kakewalk 3.0 is finally out!.  You can download it from www.kakewalk.se

Changes:

v3.0
- Added Chameleon RC5 r594
- Added support for P55-USB3
- Added Lnx2mac's Realtek network driver
- USB method for installation no longer available. (It was too difficult to maintain two versions)
- Improved stability during installation with P55 chipset
- Fixed a lot of bugs
- New look</em>

v2.2
- Added support for X58A-UD3R
- Fixed sound with G41M-ES2L in 10.6.3
- Fixed issues with X58A-UD7 (Orange HDDs, Sound)

If you run into any problems be sure to let me know

Reinstall the Kakewalk package to regain sound.

Upgrading to Kakewalk 3.0:

- Make sure to delete /System/Library/Extensions/Realtek1000SL.kext

- Download and install this Kakewalk package: http://cl.ly/461M1L383E0g473S0w1t

My boot time is still dreadful.

Well i have G41M-ES2L mb and Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300. I'm not a game player so i suppose that the Asus nVidia 9500GT is ok for Application and Web Development on SL. What i'm afraid is that this 9500 GT version won't be compatible with SL and Kakewalk. Max i would pay is 90$ for another one if 9500GT does work out of box, so any tip about this card and its working under SL ?

did you look at the WiKi ?

OSX86 WiKi !!!

here you find most compatible components :(

and

TonyMac86 Blog !!!

with this you've got more options, too!

IMHO the 9500 didn't worth.

CooSee ' Ya

I am a hackint0sh n00b. Anyone got luck with 880G chipset?

I have a

GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H

GIGABYTE HD 5770

Phenom II X4 970 (Supports SSE3)

Seagate 350 GB 7200 RPM

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 genuine disc purchased from amazon.

I have tried with my unchanged BIOS settings. Also, I have tried with my changed BIOS settings to ACHI mode and HCET mode to enabled.

I have tried Kakewalk 3.0. The computer booted from the kakewalk disc. I have inserted my (genuine) Snow Leopard. Then, my system reboots.

FYI,

I have tried Empire EFI. The computer booted from the EFI disc. I have inserted my (genuine) Snow Leopard. Does some check and me a panic window as below. This am showing is log as kakewalk doesn't show me any log.

panicerror.JPG

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Just did a fresh install of SL with Kakewalk, and my audio doesn't seem to be working after upgrading to 10.6.5.

Mobo is Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

Any suggestions

AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions needs to be patched and LegacyHDA.kext

can be removed from /Extra/Extensions.

Use the new patched AppleHDA.kext

Hi Guys,

i had some trouble with my mac. i use the mainboard Gigagbyte ep45-ud3lr, and up to now it works fine. But i have to reinstall it.

I download the 3.0 Kakewalk Versionand install osx. the first boot was great. everything is working, but then i update all points. also the 10.6.5 update. after rebooting i get everytime the error message that i should hold/press the power button... so the system does not startup.

please be so kind and help me.

br

mark

I'm on Kakewalk 2.2, I installed 10.6.5 like I said in my other post I just had to change the output back to Line Out for the sound to work, I tried installing Kakewalk 3.0 and now my sound device is gone, I'm on an EP45-UD3P v1.1. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks

Update, I can't boot to the Kakewalk 3.0 cd either, I get 4 EBIOS read errors, then error parsing plist file, then 8 more EBIOS read errors then a GUI error "could not open "default/progress_bar_background.png" then I get a boot menu, if I choose Kakewalk it panics with an unable to find driver for this platform error, if I choose OS X it panics with no error.

The only thing I tried to fix it was re-downloading Kakewalk and burning it again, with the same results.

Update 2 I tried burning the Kakewalk image with Toast at 1x, now the EBIOS errors are gone and I'm getting the normal GUI, but when I choose to boot to OS X it still panics with no error message

Cloned my HD to test out 10.6.5.

I've got the EP45-UD3LR. Updated to 10.6.5 and lost sound, then I installed the new kakewalk and still had no sound, reinstalled it and still no sound :/

Also when you run it for the first time to create the image it asks you what mobo you have - so I select EP45-UD3LR but then when I open the package in the created image at 'installation type' it prompts me to select my motherboard again under Gigabyte motherboards.

Thanks for all your hard work!

since now there is no USB Boot method with ver 3.0 is there a way we can do it ourselves?

maybe create a dmg and then restore the dmg to a thumbdrive. dunno

would that work?

someone with more knowledge would know for sure

thanks

Hi Guys.

This is my configuration:

IntelCore2Quad Q8300

Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

Gainward nVidia 9500 GT Passive 512MB

I've booted with Kakewalk 2.2, came to the point of intersting the SL 10.6 and BOOOOM i've got the gray screen over the apple telling me to restart... ?!?!??!?! what could be the problem, i've tried with 3.0, its still the same ?

Just to mention my DVD-ROM is connected to the mother board in through IDE connector.

Just a question..

USB is not an option anymore, ok..

Is there a way with, I don't know, Grub boot loader or other, to boot the .iso file like we do with e.g. some Linux distro's?

Cause I used it a lot and now I must burn disks all the time!

Thank you!

Just a question..

USB is not an option anymore, ok..

Is there a way with, I don't know, Grub boot loader or other, to boot the .iso file like we do with e.g. some Linux distro's?

Cause I used it a lot and now I must burn disks all the time!

Thank you!

The USB method will be back soon and will replace the CD based one. The CD one appears to be more error-prone.

From reading the Kakewalk forum people seem to prefer the USB method.

ETA in a day or two.

mrjanek,

I used to be registered on your old website, but now i find I cannot get a registered acknowledgment in your new Kakewalk forum. I've tried to re-register, but I've waited two days for an email confirmation without an answer.

I had a perfect Kakewalk USB 2.0 install on my GA-EX58-UD5/Intel i7-920 build back in January 2010 and now I need to build a box for a friend based on the GA-P55-USB3/Intel i5-760. I know that you have recently built this yourself, so I would like to ask a few questions.

I also found the USB method to be wonderfully easy. Will I have trouble with the new Kakewalk 3.0 iso method? Or will you be making a USB 3.0 method that will be as easy as what I used back in January?

Have you found an acceptable 1394a firewire card for the GA-P55-USB3? My friend has many legacy Firewire 400 storage drives that he still wishes to use.

I see you have OC'd your i5-760 from 2.8 to 3.5 GHz. What idle Celsius temps occur during latency on your build?

Your build used an Ati Radeon 4890 no longer available. Will I have trouble using a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128 bit PCI Express GPU?

You used Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600 memory. I thought the i5-760 needed DDR3 1333. I assume you make the switch in BIOS.

Why is it necessary to upgrade Snow Leopard to 10.6.5 if my install DVD is 10.6.3? Mac OS X 10.6.3 came installed on the latest iMac Core i5-760 2.8 GHz Lynnfield CPU I will be using, and also uses the Radeon HD 5750 I will be using. It contains 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMMs. If OS 10.6.3 supported these critical components, what is it about 10.6.5 that is necessary for OS installation using Kakewalk 3.0 on the GA-P55-USB3? I am aware that Snow Leopard currently does not support USB 3, nor is that particularly important to my friend. He has no USB 3 devices presently. I am wondering if your OS 10.6.5 requirement has to do with the Realtek ALC888 Audio chipset or Realtek 8111D LAN chipset - both used on the GA-P55-USB3?

Thank you for any answers you might provide. I am really excited about this new build using Kakewalk 3.0 - with USB method hopefully!

mrjanek,

I used to be registered on your old website, but now i find I cannot get a registered acknowledgment in your new Kakewalk forum. I've tried to re-register, but I've waited two days for an email confirmation without an answer.

I had a perfect Kakewalk USB 2.0 install on my GA-EX58-UD5/Intel i7-920 build back in January 2010 and now I need to build a box for a friend based on the GA-P55-USB3/Intel i5-760. I know that you have recently built this yourself, so I would like to ask a few questions.

I also found the USB method to be wonderfully easy. Will I have trouble with the new Kakewalk 3.0 iso method? Or will you be making a USB 3.0 method that will be as easy as what I used back in January?

Have you found an acceptable 1394a firewire card for the GA-P55-USB3? My friend has many legacy Firewire 400 storage drives that he still wishes to use.

I see you have OC'd your i5-760 from 2.8 to 3.5 GHz. What idle Celsius temps occur during latency on your build?

Your build used an Ati Radeon 4890 no longer available. Will I have trouble using a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128 bit PCI Express GPU?

You used Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600 memory. I thought the i5-760 needed DDR3 1333. I assume you make the switch in BIOS.

Why is it necessary to upgrade Snow Leopard to 10.6.5 if my install DVD is 10.6.3? Mac OS X 10.6.3 came installed on the latest iMac Core i5-760 2.8 GHz Lynnfield CPU I will be using, and also uses the Radeon HD 5750 I will be using. It contains 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMMs. If OS 10.6.3 supported these critical components, what is it about 10.6.5 that is necessary for OS installation using Kakewalk 3.0 on the GA-P55-USB3? I am aware that Snow Leopard currently does not support USB 3, nor is that particularly important to my friend. He has no USB 3 devices presently. I am wondering if your OS 10.6.5 requirement has to do with the Realtek ALC888 Audio chipset or Realtek 8111D LAN chipset - both used on the GA-P55-USB3?

Thank you for any answers you might provide. I am really excited about this new build using Kakewalk 3.0 - with USB method hopefully!

trwooley,

1. The USB method will be out in a few days. It will be as easy as the older Kakewalk versions.

2. I'm afraid I have no experience at all with firewire and sadly I don't have any devices. I do think the onboard firewire should work though.

3. I have a Corsair H50 cooler and the processor is idling at about 35C and under load 45-50C. It can probably go higher than this but I'm not that into overclocking.

4. The Radeon HD5750 should work but it would require some hacking. I would go with a Nvidia card instead of an ATI one.

5. The P55-USB3 motherboard supports speeds up to 2200 MHz. Yes, the BIOS will figure out the speed for you.

6. The reason for upgrading to 10.6.5 is that some of the files that Kakewalk installs requires 10.6.5.

Regards, mrjanek

mrjanek,

I see why I couldn't log on to your Kakewalk forum. My user name I registered was the same as for InsanelyMac, "trwoolley" - but it was mis-spelled by your registrar as "trwooley." I can get on now but with the wrong spelling.

I ordered a ZOTAC ZT-98GEY3M-FSL GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Card for the GA-P55-USB3 build last night. I hope it will work. I guess you had to hack your build for your ATi Radeon 4890 to work. These old cards, both 9800 GT and Radeon 4890, are hard to find now at a decent price.

Thanks for your advice,

Tom

Hi! I had a perfect 10.6.4 install using an ep45-ud3r with an older kakewalk (v1.4 Beta Gigabyte CD).

So now i decided to update the motherboard to a x58a-ud3r. After the motherboard change the osx booted as usual but with no ethernet, sound and with some minor instant freezes.

Well, should i do a fresh install using this new kakewalk?

Or is there a way to upgrade the old installed kakewalk to the new motherboard and maybe try to upgrade my 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 also?

Thanks a lot for the help.

CreativeBR