Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

I just installed Kakewalk 3.1 on my EP45-UD3P and everything seems to be working great, except the sound. I was getting Sound Assertion errors in the startup log. I could see the audio devices in the System Profiler, but they didn't show up in System Preferences under Sound -> Output.

I ended up installing the kext found here: http://www.kexts.com/view/601-alc889a_sound.html

and it worked using the 4 outs 2 ins HDA LegacyHDA.kext.

I removed the legacy 889a in /E/E and just kept the AppleHDA.kext that was already in /S/L/E. Hope this helps anyone else that may have had this problem.

Did you mess with the new unified driver macman released for acl audio? Very good one to me... Does anyone know if kakewalk will work on an ep45-dq6 (even though it's not shown supported?)

Background:

Been using Kakewalk since before version 2, 1 something. Used it to install 10.6.0 SL on release day (kakewalks release, not SL).

Hardware:

Ex58-UD5 v1 F12 firmware

GT8800 video

sata SSD

Firewire card, WD 1tb external TM disk.

Everything has worked throughout 10.5 and then 10.6, .1, .2, .3, .4. Never had to tweak or change anything after applying combo updates, have been using a DSDT.AML that I got back in the beginning of 2010. Never any issues or panics (unless tweaking real hard on something or messing with multiple Parallels VM's at same time). It just worked. Then I updated to 10.6.5 and everything still works great, system is extremely stable, EXCEPT when I leave the office for the weekend, and sometimes for the day. Its like after 6 hours or so of no activity it locks up, when I get in to the office, monitors are asleep, and machine is non responsive and requires a reset button. obviously nothing I can find in the logs that looks like all hell is getting ready to bust loose. Just a gap and a report that the system shutdown unexpectedly. The machine goes to sleep and wakes with no issues (although I never put it to sleep). I have power settings set to never goto sleep, display sleep at 14 minutes, and (X) put hard disk to sleep and (X) allow power buttong to put computer to sleep.

Like I said, I can be at work all day and it stays up and runs fine, mouse or keyboard movement wakes both monitors, and everything is good, it the "extended" time with no activity that it locks up on. I'll go and search more, but most of my search hits are for when a sleeping machine doesn't wake, or random kernel panics, I dont get these.

oh yeah, extra/extensions contain (and have always and not been touched)

fakesmc

JMicron36xATA

Legacy889aHDA

com.apple.boot.plist contains

Graphics Mode 1920x1080x32

Theme doesnt matter

Kernel mach_kernel

Kernel Flags arch=x86_64

GraphicsEnabler Yes

Timeout 1

EthernetBuilting Yes

Thanks for any help. I also downloaded the Kakewalk 3 (although I couldnt find a kake boot like 2.2 had) but made sure my machine was 10.6.5 (when issues started) and then ran the v3 from my usb install disk thinking that maybe kakewalk 3 might have some fixes. But its the same as when using 2.2

SD

hi all

first: sorry for my bad english

Motherboard : GA EP45/ EP-43/ P45

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.6 Mhz

Memory : 8 GB

Vga : 9800 GT 512/1 GB Ram

I have done install......, it successfull... :thumbsup_anim:

Use HAZARD installation DVD Intel & Amd 10.6.1 & 10.6.2 :)

Hi all, can anybody who has GA P55 USB3 (rev. 2.0) mobo and used kakewalk 3.0 or 3.1 to share his experience?

I read lots of posts regarding this mobo, some with full success, some with partial success. But is it really work perfectly with kakewalk? is there any specific post-installation configuration?

I hope that if there are anybody who have perfect result with this mobo (sound, lan, sleep... etc) to give us a mini guide with short steps, kexts, configuration he used to achieve this result.

Sorry, I'm new to this world, my only try was a successful iDenep installation on an old Pentium D machine. I'm planning now to build a new powerful, stable workstation with this mobo, and want to be as sure aspossible that it will do the mission. I will use it for work as primary machine since I can't afford a new-or eve used-real mac for now (they are very expensive here, even if used).

Thank you all guys :)

[EDIT] I'm talking about (rev. 2.0) - sound: ALC892, lan: RTL8111E [/EDIT]

I did the combo updater from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6. All seemed to go well, no kernel panics after the reboot, etc. I did finally have a problem and that was coming out of sleep my machine KP'd.

Any suggestions on how to fix the sleepenabler for 10.6.6.?

Thanks.

Hello, i am totaly new in Hackintosh.

I have an Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR Board

and an ATI 4850 Graphiccard.

Does it work for an Hackintosh??

Where i can get the Kakewalk.iso, i only have a .zip file here.

Sorry for my bad English.

I did the combo updater from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6. All seemed to go well, no kernel panics after the reboot, etc. I did finally have a problem and that was coming out of sleep my machine KP'd.

Thanks.

mee too after 2 days i have reboot instead resume

i try change the dsdt whit this of 10.6.4

i don't have sleepenabler

any suggestions?? sorry for bad english

Hello, i am totaly new in Hackintosh.

I have an Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR Board

and an ATI 4850 Graphiccard.

Does it work for an Hackintosh??

Where i can get the Kakewalk.iso, i only have a .zip file here.

Sorry for my bad English.

I think EP45-UD3LR is the board that kakewalk was originally made for.

Open the zip, the iso and instructions are all there.

Optiplex 960, E8500

Intel® Q45 Express Chipset

DDRII RAM

I have tried to boot a retail SL 10.6 disc on the above machine via chameleon and it would just won't boot, would kakewalk make it possible ? or the chipset I have on this mobo isn't compatible ?

will be grateful for your insight... !!

Thanks for the info and tools !

Is there support for the p43 northbridge? That is the only difference between my motherboard and the already supported ep45-ud3l.

Thanks.

hi i have solved patching the dsdt whit a dsdt built for my mainboard (the same used for 10.6.4)

i have also enabled all (attached img)

post-625039-1294832161_thumb.png

Using a UD3LR mobo, 10.6.4 was ok

update to 10.6.5 no sound

update to 10.6.6 no sound still

i decided to reformat and install via USB.

followed all the instruction, but after install

I suppose to boot from USB, but when I'm selecting the

hard drive on where I installed SL, there's an error saying

"cannot find kake_kernel"

need some advise on how to walk around this or anything am doing wrong? or I haven't done?

please please

Using a UD3LR mobo, 10.6.4 was ok

update to 10.6.5 no sound

update to 10.6.6 no sound still

i decided to reformat and install via USB.

followed all the instruction, but after install

I suppose to boot from USB, but when I'm selecting the

hard drive on where I installed SL, there's an error saying

"cannot find kake_kernel"

need some advise on how to walk around this or anything am doing wrong? or I haven't done?

please please

Not sure why this worked for me, I had the same issue, booted from USB, then attempted to choose fresh install and just get cannot locate kernel. So I booted, choose my new disk, got error, and then went back to usb which then booted my new drive continuing the install just like a real mac would. go figure, but the kakewalkl stuff hasn't been run on the new install yet, so maybe this has to do with it.

Anyways, good luck, all I get is a kernel panic a couple minutes into the boot into the new system. Like my post says, I have been using kw since the very first release, and my machine has been stable the entire time, applying all updates and never touching anything, like a real mac. UNTIL 10.6.5, where updating, my machine now runs most of the day, but locks up every night. I work all day on my machine to Im pretty sure its just that after I leave it can go idle and then KP.

my kw 2.2 10.6.4 is on a different drive and I can boot that and continue to work for the last week without any issues, start testing on a new drive with 3.1 and 10.6.3 -> 10.6.5 combo and KP all day long. Just weird that a system that was as stable as a real mac for 16 months now wont allow ANY of the 10.6.5 installs to work on it (digital dreamers script, kakewalk 3.0, 3.1, tonymac).. just weird....

gonna go try the digital dreamer version, because the author monitors that thread and responds to the emails (not that that doesnt happen here, just not as often I guess).

Good luck, hope the boot from usb, attempt to boot new install (watch it fail) and then back to usb works for you too, did for me every time, I suspect if I can ever get my 10.6.3 to update with a KP, the drive will work once KW 3.1 is run on it..