Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Ok so heres the update, I put the dvd in sata0 and the hdd in sata1 no ohter devices connected.

Setup the bios correctly, set the dvd to first boot etc.

Kakewalk refuses to boot, however this can be fixed by unplugging the hdd, I then get the error DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. without doing anything else i hit enter and kakewalk starts to boot, I then plug the hdd back in, swap the disc with snow leopard and go through the installation fine. At the end it reboots, but I am stuck with the same problem that i cant boot into kakewalk to load osx for the first time, if i do tthe unplug and plug in the drive trick it loads kakewalk but it doesnt see the osx partition so I cannot boot to install the bootloader.

I also upgraded from f7 to f11

From what you are saying, I am 80% sure you have the wrong drive selected to boot, check boot order to be cd 1st, or use f12 and select cd. once booted you have to install the bootloder, I haven't used kakewalk for a long time so not sure from memory how to do this.

I will check, I have 2 options in the boot menu CD and P2 pioneer DVD.

When ahci is turned on the motherboard is booting it says "this version only supports hdd and CDROM" so perhaps there is an issue with DVD drives.

Anyway I have tried pressing f12 and booting to both CDROM and pioneer DVD drive, but still get the same result. I will try change the boot order in bios and report back.

Ok check also the setting "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" try both settings.

You can also use the IDE DVD drive, It should work to boot, but I can not remember if you need the jmicron kext when you boot from the ide port.

I know there is sometimes a problem with some DVD drives, but normally this is only after boot.

SOLVED: ok so the problem of being unable to boot from my dvd drive has been solved.

The only way for it to work is to fit f12, wait for the dvd drive to stop spinning, maybe 15 seconds and then select the dvd drive from the list, works like a charm.

If however I press f12 and select dvd drive straight away it never ever works, just sits there "verifying DMI pool data"

Got everything setup, piece of cake, got wireless working, but I am having issues with sound now, I have tried a few kexts for this board but none seem to work, does anyone have a sure fire way to get sound working on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR?

OK...I got the image restored, & now i'm in the process of installing bootloader.

Now it's halfway through "installing build" & has said "Install time remaining: About a minute" for about 45 minutes now.

Suggestions?

Click on window and show log, show all or show errors only.

My disc was scratched heaps so the install took about an hour just to copy files, it froze once, but I found that showing the log allowed me to see if it was actually stuck or not.

I use Legacy888HDA.kext and it works. You might have to use the kakewalk installer to get audio working AFTER updating everything, and rember you have to select internal speakers. Hope this all helped

I use Legacy888HDA.kext and it works. You might have to use the kakewalk installer to get audio working AFTER updating everything, and rember you have to select internal speakers. Hope this all helped

I couldnt get it working so I reinstalled snow leopard, and it worked fine, just one of those things.

As far as updating goes, if I were to install the 10.6.6 update would you expect any problems? I have not installed the kakewalk bootloader yet, I am still starting the PC with the kakewalk boot cd.

I appreciate your help GrootWitBaas!

From what I remember you can update then install the kakewalk. When upgrading you will lose sound. You might also get a KP so be sure to make a CarbonCopyClone of the current install before updating, to save time it is faster to restore than to reinstall.

Once everything is done and working, make also a new CCC it is worth having the backup.

OK but Legacy888HDA.kext should fix the sound after updating?

I don't want to risk a kernal panic, so I might just leave it at 10.6.2.

Is there much added in 10.6.6, what about the mac app store, do I need to update to get it?

sound was fine on 10.6.5 after copying back AppleHDA.kext... this time.. the kext wasn't even touched, but sound is gone... sw update installed the combo from 10.6.5 -> 10.6.7.. got all the lovely Sound Assertions.. gah

ok so I updated to 10.6.6 from software update.

I got wireless working fine, but sound does not work. If I go to system pref > sound > output tab it says "no output devices found"

I installed kakewalk (3.0) for my board but still no good

I tried installing Legacy888HDA.kext but still no options in sound.

Any other thoughts?

ok so I updated to 10.6.6 from software update.

I got wireless working fine, but sound does not work. If I go to system pref > sound > output tab it says "no output devices found"

I installed kakewalk (3.0) for my board but still no good

I tried installing Legacy888HDA.kext but still no options in sound.

Any other thoughts?

Try this kext, just run it in the helper b7

http://cl.ly/0Y3K1j4110392r240t0F

I installed Kakewalk on a GA-EP45-UD3L a while ago and have OS X 10.6.2 installed with an nvidia 9500GT.

I just got a Radeon 6850 that I'd like to install. Any suggestions on what steps to take? I don't even want to try inserting the card until I have a game plan.

I can't remember the entire process that I went through originally, but it looks like I have GraphicsEnabler=No. Here are the extensions i have in /Extra/:

famkesmc.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

VoodooMonitor.kext

I tried the CD\DVD installation from a HDD (sata) and the installation crashes.

edit: Also tried the USB installation of Kakewalk, 3.1.. SL Installation crashes right at the start, about 2 minutes, grey screen...

(Snow Leopard restored to a HDD)

Anyone got any ideas? I got AHCI, and HPET to 64bit...

3rd update: I ran the install in verbose and its timing out @ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Inserted the thumb drive & got all the settings set for the motherboard.

Now it's stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data............Update Success.

Ideas?

Thanks.

*EDIT*

Stupid me...I used the wrong thumb drive.

My new problem is that after the apple logo appears w/the spinning wheel, the screen goes momentarily black, then i'm presented with a powder blue screen with nothing on it.

Again...ideas?

Inserted the thumb drive & got all the settings set for the motherboard.

Now it's stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data............Update Success.

Ideas?

Thanks.

BIOS SETTING OR NO ACCESSIBLE MEDIA.

That blue screen is most times related to GFX .... Did you try other ports on the card? Also long time ago I had the same problem, and you can bypass it by power off and back on the screen itself. Try the install with only 4GB ram. I don't have radeon cards so can't really give more advice there.

• 2 weeks later...