Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Kakewalk looks very simple. I did try it and that did not work for me either. I know I'm doing/missing something here. I have been attempting for 15 hours straight and had no luck installing the OS on my clone tower. How do any of you make it seem so easy. I'm a Windows guy who wants to move to MAC desperatly. The hardware I have should make it easy to switch over!

I have the following hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte (GA-EP45-UD3L)

Video Card: BFG GeForce GTS-250 (OC) 1GB

CPU: Intel (3.40MHz) Pentium D 950

Drive: WD 500GB 32MB SATA2

Opticle: LG DVD-RW-DL SATA

I know I have the right BIOS options set and do not change after each installation re-boot. I have used a few boot CD's to attemp to install the OS: Kakewalk 2.2, EP45-UD3v3, EP45UD3P_Snow_Leopard & Snow_BootLoader. It's when I place my Snow Leopard 10.6, or Kalyway 10.5.6 or iKtk05 10.6.3 the installation starts and there are so many options with diff. kernels, LAN, Audio, Video, so on..... Install alway finishes and re-boots the system. Than I get the white screen with the apple logo and it freezes. I think it's a kernel panic of some sort.

I want to get to a point where I have a desktop first, than worry about the rest later, like LAN, Video & Sound.

I know I'm missing something here; can anyone help?

Thanks,

If you do not have a retail version of the Snow Leopard install disk, available for less than $30USD from here: http://www.amazon.com/Mac-version-10-6-Sno...8865&sr=8-1 or elsewhere, you can forget using Kakewalk. If you have a retail disk, what version is it? the GeForce 2xx cards were not supported until 10.6.4 so if you have an earlier version, either buy the 10.6.4 disk, wait until the 10.6.5 disk comes out and buy it or go to newegg or some other etailer and get a 7xxx or 8xxx series card to install with, then download the 10.6.4 combo update and install it. shutdown, swap cards and reboot. When you create your boot CD, make sure you select YOUR motherboard. The CD has a script file that installs files that are particular to your MB. Chances are, some other MB file might work to install with, but not everything will be enabled - i.e. lan / sound doesn't work. Best is to go back and read through the first 40 or so pages of this thread and get a better understanding of how it works and what are the traps and hazards of attempting to install on the latest graphics cards that appleMac has NEVER used.

Most important of all - follow the directions in the .pdf file in the Kakewalk download package - follow them exactly!!!

Good Luck.

If you do not have a retail version of the Snow Leopard install disk, available for less than $30USD from here: http://www.amazon.com/Mac-version-10-6-Sno...8865&sr=8-1 or elsewhere, you can forget using Kakewalk. If you have a retail disk, what version is it? the GeForce 2xx cards were not supported until 10.6.4 so if you have an earlier version, either buy the 10.6.4 disk, wait until the 10.6.5 disk comes out and buy it or go to newegg or some other etailer and get a 7xxx or 8xxx series card to install with, then download the 10.6.4 combo update and install it. shutdown, swap cards and reboot. When you create your boot CD, make sure you select YOUR motherboard. The CD has a script file that installs files that are particular to your MB. Chances are, some other MB file might work to install with, but not everything will be enabled - i.e. lan / sound doesn't work. Best is to go back and read through the first 40 or so pages of this thread and get a better understanding of how it works and what are the traps and hazards of attempting to install on the latest graphics cards that appleMac has NEVER used.

Most important of all - follow the directions in the .pdf file in the Kakewalk download package - follow them exactly!!!

Good Luck.

Thank you SIR.

Went here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html downloaded the "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" ISO. Replaced that CD with an original 10.6 OSX, pressed F5, typed "-x" and hit "Enter". When the PC booted I had FULL 1680x1050 resolution and loud INTRO sound coming out of my speakers. After I applied "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" the sound & video res went away. So now I guess I'm stuck with no sound and video high resolution; I have LAN and did full updates. Now I'm at 10.6.4 and able to re-boot using the 500GB drive I have. I downloaded "Carbon Copy Cloner"; copied to a 2.5" external USB drive; DONE!

Is there anything else you think I'm missing besides my sound and video?

Thx,

Thank you SIR.

Went here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html downloaded the "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" ISO. Replaced that CD with an original 10.6 OSX, pressed F5, typed "-x" and hit "Enter". When the PC booted I had FULL 1680x1050 resolution and loud INTRO sound coming out of my speakers. After I applied "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" the sound & video res went away. So now I guess I'm stuck with no sound and video high resolution; I have LAN and did full updates. Now I'm at 10.6.4 and able to re-boot using the 500GB drive I have. I downloaded "Carbon Copy Cloner"; copied to a 2.5" external USB drive; DONE!

Thx,

I did not mean to offend you - apologies if I did.

The [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method does a good job of installing, but it was geared more for the P55 chipset. Did you find a pre-patched DSDT file for your EP45? If not, you can use the method found here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4463 to extract a clean DSDT and post it there. Either tmx86 or macman will patch it for you and you can then download it and put it into your /E file. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] can also get you back your video and sound. There is a decent video that shows how here (although it is dated, the steps are basically the same and the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] menu has not changed)

although you will want to select the LegacyHDA888 to match your board's sound codec.

Basically, you run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], select advanced/kexts/graphics and check nVidia

always check system tools - this puts the kext in proper place and repairs permissions

Once you reboot, you should be able to adjust your resolution.

Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again, check system tools, select advanced / kexts/audio and check the LegacyHDA888.kext and run it and reboot. If sound still doesn't work, do it again selecting the HDAEnabler.kext and system tools and run & reboot. If it still doesn't work, do it again, this time selecting the 10.6.2 rollback + system tools - run & reboot.

I needed the kext the hda enabler and the 10.6.2 rollback to get sound working on my rig.

If all this doesn't work - drop back 10 yards and punt - I'm all out of ideas!

Thx,

Yes, here is the contents of the UD3L Extra folder that Kakewalk would have installed for you (if you have the rev1.0 board). You will need [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to put the 10.6.2 rollback into S/L/E.

Put all 3 files in your /Extra folder. run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] system tools to repair permissions and rebuild caches and reboot. You will need to open preferences/sound and change the setting to internal speakers to get sound from the lime green jack on the back panel.

EP45_UD3L.zip

Hi There Guys FIrst of all thank you Mr. janek for the minimal effort installer. I have been having 2 issue with my gigbyte EX58-UD3R upon installation is that my hdd are all recognized as external hdds and sound issues is there a way i can solve this issue sorry if this question is repeated again as i'm most of the time away from my pc and hackintosh

This guide did´nt work for me at all but the kdetech boot 132 did give me a pretty ok install. Get an external USB drive or an enclousure, put in a spare harddrive. Unplug all your harddrives and hook up your Sata DVD to first port. Hook up your USB drive. Fire up the boot 132 CD, when it has finished loading swap over to your retail disc and press F5. Choose the retail dvd and install. Close to the end of the install it might say it failed but never mind just reboot with the with the 132 CD and finnish the install. Now hopefully you have a pretty ok working SL install and have something to work with anyway.

What I then did to get a 100% installation was I used this (kdetech) install to do a new install with to the harddrive I originally was going to use for my new build. Once I had it up running I simply use parts of LTLs good old method. Didnt even had to exclude printer drivers or language or anything everything just worked

Make a folder name it to anything you want. Restore SL to it then mount it (doubleklick on it). Open a Terminal window type or copy and paste cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages and hit enter. Type or copy and paste open OSInstall.mpkg and hit enter. Chose the harddrive you want to use for this install. When it´s finnished put the stuff you need for your speciffic rig to to that harddrive (you probably want to put in your extra folder) DSDT. aml, kexts what ever. Then install the version of chameleon you want.

The trick is to get it working the fastest way you can and that is with a restored SL using an already working install. All these usb falshdrive guides well guess they are ok if you get it to work but it can be a huzzle and the upside of using them I´m not sure of. Some say it´s good as a backup if things go wrong but I say once you have an install you´re satisfied with just clone that harddrive with CCC and put it on the shelf for future use.

Doing it the way I did might seem more complecated but once I figured it out I was up running 100% in under two hours even though I did two installs. With this method and a couple of more I found here I spend 3 weeks or so with no luck and I´ve been around here a while thought I new how to do this. I even tried with both a GA mobo and an Asus (took the GA back to the store and replaced with the Asus).

Ofcourse you still have to find out what exactly you need for your speciffic rig but that´s they way it always is. I only use two kexts now and NVinject.kext for my 7300gs 512 mb pcie card. I don´t need that NVinject since the new fakesmac.kext covers that card but the NVinject make it work just a little bit better actually so that´s why I use it.

I have the Asus P6T SE Mobo, i7 930 cpu, 6 gig 1600 memory, 7300gs videocard and all Sata drives. The same stuff I used with the GA mobo too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a basically perfect install as detailed a few pages back, but just a quick question:

Any idea why, after a restart, Quicktime Extreme (QE) is randomly not enabled?

I ssh'd into my machine today, and noticed the uptime was only a couple of days. Must have had a power failure at home. I started my VNC, and noticed that my HDMI resolutions were missing (screen size was reset), and that QE wasn't working (no transparency in the menu bar).

I've had this happen in the past when I was getting audio working and going through a lot of reboots. Usually a reboot takes care of the problem.

Any idea where to start troubleshooting this? It's a 10.6.4, stock Kakwalk/retail install, Geforce GT240, Mac OS X native driver.

The resolution is obviously because there's no HDMI monitor powered on. Maybe Mac OS X doesn't enable QE when it detects no monitor? It's not like QE will be useful via VNC. Not a high priority, since everything else works, but mostly I'm curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Successful install of SN on the following hardware

Gigabyte LGA 1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1 (Amazon.com)

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz

Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

PNY 9800GT 1GB

Update to 10.6.4 without any problems

System profiler says its a MacPro

The sleep and sound doesn't work, will fix later

About the Kakewalk guide:

I had an issue burning the ISO disk — this part of the guide is written for windows owners and is a bit nebulous

You need a old PS2 keyboard to push a button during installation. Rather like the TV series Lost

Otherwise all is good.

JMH

Bought the 5770 GPU upgrade kit and the new 27" monitor from Apple. Cannot get this card or monitor work properly. I can see the MB splash screen all the way up to the bootloader then nothing.

Running 10.6.4 with graphics update.

Seeking advice on the best way to move forward:

Will 10.6.5 have native support?

And where is the best place to get support for this GPU. There are so many options I don't know where to go — sorry!

Thanks for your support guys,

JMH

Hardware:

Gigabyte LGA 1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz

Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

PNY 9800GT 1GB

If you haven't already check System Preferences -> Sound and make sure "Line Out" is selected as your audio out destination.

Thanks Man will do.

GA-G41M-ES2l rev 1.4 - no audio, ethernet

I just recently put together this build with Kakewalk - everything is working except that Ethernet and audio devies are not recognized, wake also only works with power button.

I get these on my kernel log:

kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Unknown hardware version ID (2c000000)

kernel[0]:AppleRTL8169Ethernet: probeHardware() failed

I don't care too much for the onboard sound, but it's rather a bum to not be able to get the ethernet running. I've already tried to install RealtekR1000Sl.kext with the kexthelper. AzaliaAudio package didn't help on the sound either.

I also tried to down grade my BIOS version from F9 to F6, still no go.

My specs are:

e6600 2.4ghz Core2Duo

2gb ram

GA-G41M-ES2L Rev 1.4

Nvidia 8800GTX

Any ideas?

Has anyone managed to get sound working for GA-G41M-ES2L Rev 1.4? I cant get it to work at all.

EDIT: I finally got sound working using this Kext

Hello

I have tried the Kakewalk method, I get an error as i try to boot from the retail SL disc. I get that no boot sign. My miotherboard is GA-P55A-UD4P with an ATI Radeon 3850HD, I thought it would be supported. any suggestions?

Hello

I have tried the Kakewalk method, I get an error as i try to boot from the retail SL disc. I get that no boot sign. My miotherboard is GA-P55A-UD4P with an ATI Radeon 3850HD, I thought it would be supported. any suggestions?

try this !

tonymac86

CooSee ' Ya

Ati 4550 should work after a bit of hacking. Source: netkas.org

I know this post was an eternity ago, but this leaves me so confused.

Wouldn't I need a functioning version of Leopard already installed to be able to use what's described in the netkas link?

Or am I suppose to download specific files, then open the kakewalk iso and place them inside before burning?

:(

Does it work ok if my EP45-UD3LR is flashed with Cartri.net Macbios?

Thank you!

Will surely donate some bucks if i'm successful putting it on my new ssd!

don't use kakewalk for a cartri based system ...use the cartri boot cd and instsll method

If you need more guidance feel free to ask me, have it running for a long time, and yes I did start with kakewalk on this board.

don't use kakewalk for a cartri based system ...use the cartri boot cd and instsll method

If you need more guidance feel free to ask me, have it running for a long time, and yes I did start with kakewalk on this board.

Hm thought so..

well gonna try the cartri boot and send you a message, or is there a cartri based forum here, hm, must check..

But i'm gonna test kakewalk when i get my disk cause it seems a nice bundle!

Hm thought so..

well gonna try the cartri boot and send you a message, or is there a cartri based forum here, hm, must check..

But i'm gonna test kakewalk when i get my disk cause it seems a nice bundle!

Yes Kakewalk is nice, but not with the cartri bios, you can use it on stock bios and it works nicely, on the cartri bios it works, but defeats the purpose of the bios as it undo most things from the bios, and you will still need most files in E/E.

On the same place you get the MacBios you will find more info.

I try to Install Mac OS X 10.6.0 Retail on a G41M-ES2L with the CD-Method, but i cannot adjust the AHCI in bios :-( …

I start with the BootCD, exchange the CD for the SL-DVD and try to start. But then the message comes: You need to restart your computers….

The Error Message: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found on kextd not available in early boot.

What gives to install it for possibilities with kakewalk?

Grafik: Sparkle GeForce 950GT 1GB

CPU: E6500

Yes Kakewalk is nice, but not with the cartri bios, you can use it on stock bios and it works nicely, on the cartri bios it works, but defeats the purpose of the bios as it undo most things from the bios, and you will still need most files in E/E.

On the same place you get the MacBios you will find more info.

I would like to ask, What does the Catri Bios change or not change? I did install the catri bios after using Cakewalk on my P45T-UDRLR so I am oblivious to what may or not be wrong. I am running only the extras I need in my profile and I boot in under 45 seconds cold.

I would like to ask, What does the Catri Bios change or not change? I did install the catri bios after using Cakewalk on my P45T-UDRLR so I am oblivious to what may or not be wrong. I am running only the extras I need in my profile and I boot in under 45 seconds cold.

I have only FakeSMC in my E/E and also boot in 45. No need for any other files on my system. What exactly is changed with the bios you have to go read up on the blog/forum for that. The one thing to keep in mind, the bios is a solution just like any other including kakewalk. I used both, and for me personally the bios is what I prefer. Kakewalk is what I use on boards that don't have a cartri bios.

OK :D I will try it again. Such thing happens - you are doing a perfect work - without you I wouldn´t be running SL at all :P

Yeah i was getting that DMI error too.. (x58a-ud3r) managed to solve it by using a kakewalk bootcd and f12 boot to cd with the usb drive in with the snow leopard image. It was easier last time with my old hackintosh because i actually had the retail disc and never used usb. Not sure if it's the new motherboard or the installer?

Anyway thanks so much for Kakewalk! love my hackintoshes :)