Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Kalewalk: No Support for EP35-DS3L? that is one of the first and most successfully hacked board of all times and it's not even that old.

I have another motherboar G41m-ES2L, but it's from Biostar not from Gigabyte, will it work with your kakewalk 3.0?

Edit2: i have installed kakewalk again and now only the sound is not working. Then i tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] appleHDA 10.6.2 install and it didnt work too.

Does anyone have an idea to help me with this?

()s

Edit1: i have created a 3.0 kakewalk cd and booted from it. The 10.6.4 worked nicely with my new mobo but then i updated the osx from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 using the check software update from osx.

Now i lost my ethernet and sound. So i tried to reinstall the kakewalk again and everything worked again but after a reboot i lost the sound and ethernet.

Any idea about what going on?

Thanks a lot

CreativeBR

Hi! I had a perfect 10.6.4 install using an ep45-ud3r with an older kakewalk (v1.4 Beta Gigabyte CD).

So now i decided to update the motherboard to a x58a-ud3r. After the motherboard change the osx booted as usual but with no ethernet, sound and with some minor instant freezes.

Well, should i do a fresh install using this new kakewalk?

Or is there a way to upgrade the old installed kakewalk to the new motherboard and maybe try to upgrade my 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 also?

Thanks a lot for the help.

CreativeBR

so do i need a retail disc? is this a boot cd? enlighten my brain here, I am on leopard and want to install snow on a new hard drive because Pro Tools 9 requires it. But I want to continue to make beats on Logic over on this end since it's not exactly broken...

so do I boot the PC with this disc and insert a SL disc when prompted? Should I unplug Leopard drive while install? thanks for the help I am on a UD3P and plan on getting the second hard drive next week.

so do i need a retail disc? is this a boot cd? enlighten my brain here, I am on leopard and want to install snow on a new hard drive because Pro Tools 9 requires it. But I want to continue to make beats on Logic over on this end since it's not exactly broken...

so do I boot the PC with this disc and insert a SL disc when prompted? Should I unplug Leopard drive while install? thanks for the help I am on a UD3P and plan on getting the second hard drive next week.

To be safe I would suggest disconnecting the old install yes.

Use this disk to boot, then insert retail disk and follow instructions. TBH all instructions comes with the download ....

i am aware of the directions in the download I already downloaded it. Already have the .iso on my desktop. I read the instructions and just was confused because it said nothing about a retail disk. But i figured the .iso file was so small I did, so yea lol. thanks though for the response, this kakewalk is pretty cool. So does it come with all the kexts i should need, I am sure I can figure it out if not.

I've been running 10.6.3/10.6.4 + Kakewalk 2.0 without any problems on my EX58-UD5 hackintosh but after upgrading to 10.6.5 + Kakewalk 3.0 I have no sound. All I see in System Preferences > Sound is "No input devices found" and "No output devices found" though everything is showing as normal within System Profiler.

I installed 10.6 via Kakewalk on my PC a while ago. I need to add a separate partition and dual boot between OS X and Windows XP. Any suggestions on where to get started? Can the Kakewalk bootloader boot XP also?

Do you have another drive? It is really better to use separate drives. That being said, if you can borrow a drive to clone your existing drive to temporarily and install the bootloader to it, then there is a tutorial here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dua...-os-x-snow.html to show you how to install both on the same drive. Once you get the partitioning set up and Windows installed, clone your install back to your HD and install the bootloader (or just re-install from scratch) and you should be up and running on a dual boot.

I've been running 10.6.3/10.6.4 + Kakewalk 2.0 without any problems on my EX58-UD5 hackintosh but after upgrading to 10.6.5 + Kakewalk 3.0 I have no sound. All I see in System Preferences > Sound is "No input devices found" and "No output devices found" though everything is showing as normal within System Profiler.

You need to re-install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E

Ive got a GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R and I'm having problems with this install.

I made the Kakewalk.iso on my Macbook, burned it to a disk and got my PC to boot off of it. It's got nothing installed right now, no windows or anything. Completely fresh drive out of the box.

The Darwin bootloader comes up (is that what it's called? It says I can press F5 to rescan media).

Whether i tell it to boot right away or swap the snow leopard retail disk in and then boot I get the same results. It waits for a mintue, then the monitor goes blank and the fans spin up to max. I've let it sit like this for several minutes with no change. Has anyone experienced similar or found a solution?

Thanks so much! Brand new build and I'm looking forward to it. This Kakewalk install seems way better than the other methods I've tried in the past, but It's just not getting past the bootloader for me.

You need to re-install the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E

Been there, done that with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Tried all combinations of LegacyHDA and AppleHDA 10.6.2 but still no sound.

@reset85: http://www.kakewalk.se/ the link works great.

Hello everybody!

I have a problem installing with kakewalk. I bought a system that would let me do a minimum effort installation but it isn't going as smoothly as I thought it would be. I don't know what went wrong. I keep getting ebios read errors which I've been reading about here and there but haven't found a solution. Just like Objection, it keeps stuck at the Darwin bootoader screen (I guess). I uploaded a movie of what I get on Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/17403817

I tried a couple of burns with the new 3.0 cd method. I tried with only 4gigs of ram, the PCI wlan unplugged and only my main SSD connected.

@mrjanek: I also registered on the kakewalk forum under Soulw4xer, but it doesn't send the activation e-mail. Could you activate my account plz?

(Don't mind my spelling errors, I'm Dutch) :D

Grtz

@reset85: http://www.kakewalk.se/ the link works great.

Hello everybody!

I have a problem installing with kakewalk. I bought a system that would let me do a minimum effort installation but it isn't going as smoothly as I thought it would be. I don't know what went wrong. I keep getting ebios read errors which I've been reading about here and there but haven't found a solution. Just like Objection, it keeps stuck at the Darwin bootoader screen (I guess). I uploaded a movie of what I get on Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/17403817

I tried a couple of burns with the new 3.0 cd method. I tried with only 4gigs of ram, the PCI wlan unplugged and only my main SSD connected.

@mrjanek: I also registered on the kakewalk forum under Soulw4xer, but it doesn't send the activation e-mail. Could you activate my account plz?

(Don't mind my spelling errors, I'm Dutch) :rolleyes:

Grtz

Two things stand out as possible problems in your build.

First, Apple did not support ATi Radeon 5770 graphics in Mac OS 10.6.0. It is probably supported now in 10.6.5, but Kakewalk probably does not supply the correct drivers and you may have to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacx86's blog.

Second, you are using a 2T hard drive. Mac OS X must be installed on a 1T max partition. If you have done this, but have another OS (Windows) on the same drive but a different partition, you are asking for problems. I recommend that any Hackintosh Mac OS X be installed on its own 500GB or larger drive, with just one partition only.

First, Apple did not support ATi Radeon 5770 graphics in Mac OS 10.6.0. It is probably supported now in 10.6.5, but Kakewalk probably does not supply the correct drivers and you may have to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacx86's blog.

Second, you are using a 2T hard drive. Mac OS X must be installed on a 1T max partition. If you have done this, but have another OS (Windows) on the same drive but a different partition, you are asking for problems. I recommend that any Hackintosh Mac OS X be installed on its own 500GB or larger drive, with just one partition only.

Thanks for replying and clarifying some things.

I bought an Apple 5770 and have a Mac OS X 10.6.3 disc. But I don't even get to the part of putting in the disc. Thought Kakewalk supported this card. Strange. If I get some confirmation on this I'll just have to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

The 2T hard drive I'm using will only be for data storage. I've disconnected it for the installation.

I am installing it on a 160GB SSD hard drive. This wil be the main boot drive. Although this one was bought second-hand and has Win7 OS on it... Might this be causing trouble? Should I get it formatted on another PC and then try again?

Btw. You say 500GB partition, but I only have a 160GB SSD. Will do the trick won't it?

I got this working. The problem was the 5770 I was using for graphics. I got the system to boot using an older 4770 I had laying around and patched to 10.5.6.

I still had some problems, though. I checked out the forums at tonymac and found this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

which worked PERFECTLY. I'm up and running with audio, graphics, and network and no issues. One problem I did bump into though, and I wanted to throw the warning out there:

I had updated my graphics information as per that guide above and then ran the kakewalk installer. It will overwrite your boot file (or the plist? either way it blew my system up). You need to run kakewalk FIRST, and then do the tricks in the guide above. I also didn't have audio working after just kakewalk, I had to install some stuff from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], too.

All that said this was the easiest hackintosh I've built, due mostly to Kakewalk. Nice work!

Ive got a GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R and I'm having problems with this install.

I made the Kakewalk.iso on my Macbook, burned it to a disk and got my PC to boot off of it. It's got nothing installed right now, no windows or anything. Completely fresh drive out of the box.

The Darwin bootloader comes up (is that what it's called? It says I can press F5 to rescan media).

Whether i tell it to boot right away or swap the snow leopard retail disk in and then boot I get the same results. It waits for a mintue, then the monitor goes blank and the fans spin up to max. I've let it sit like this for several minutes with no change. Has anyone experienced similar or found a solution?

Thanks so much! Brand new build and I'm looking forward to it. This Kakewalk install seems way better than the other methods I've tried in the past, but It's just not getting past the bootloader for me.

Second, ...

I confirm that it was the graphics card. I'm now trying with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url](+multibeats from tonymac) and it's installing. After that I'll use a guide from the thread that Objection pointed out to. Note: at the end of the thread Notshy has an alternative setup that look easier with a Beta bootfile from Kabyl that looks promising. No kakewalk for me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

mrjanek,

I found your implementation such a breeze I had to donate and have been using it ever since but recently my 4870 card died and I bought the 5870 thinking it wouldnt be to hard to get working considering apple support it now.

with recent reading clearly I couldnt be more wrong. I dont understand much at all of what they are trying to do or how.

any plans for implementing the 5870 boot file some ppl like Kabyl are working on?

sorry to see your not going the usb way anymore as thats what I did and couldnt imagine it being easier.

mrjanek,

I found your implementation such a breeze I had to donate and have been using it ever since but recently my 4870 card died and I bought the 5870 thinking it wouldnt be to hard to get working considering apple support it now.

with recent reading clearly I couldnt be more wrong. I dont understand much at all of what they are trying to do or how.

any plans for implementing the 5870 boot file some ppl like Kabyl are working on?

sorry to see your not going the usb way anymore as thats what I did and couldnt imagine it being easier.

Due to requests from many people who were not able to get the cd method to work, mrjanek has resurrected the USB method in Kakewalk v3.1 http://www.kakewalk.se/

For all Macs, or just hackintoshes? You can buy single hard drive Macs with a 2 TB drive. I assume they don't partition the drive out of the box to provide for a max 1TB partition, though I could be wrong. And though I originally installed my hackintosh OS on a 120GB SSD, I have used CCC to copy over the drive to a 1.5TB, single partition drive and successfully boot from it. So, am I just misunderstanding your post here?

For all Macs, or just hackintoshes? You can buy single hard drive Macs with a 2 TB drive. I assume they don't partition the drive out of the box to provide for a max 1TB partition, though I could be wrong. And though I originally installed my hackintosh OS on a 120GB SSD, I have used CCC to copy over the drive to a 1.5TB, single partition drive and successfully boot from it. So, am I just misunderstanding your post here?

1 TB was originally a limitation for booting a partition with Chameleon. I believe it has now been extended. Still, if one wants a safe installation from the beginning I think these are excellent guidelines from tonymacx86:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=524

Problems with GeForce 9800GT and OpenGL/Quartz Extreme...

First, here are my basic specs:

• EP45T-UD3LR
    Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT 512 DDR3
    OSX 10.6.5 - combo update
    Kakewalk 3.1 - USB install

The graphics seem to be running fine, I've got a resolution of 1680x1050 and Front Row opens fine etc...

However, I can't calibrate my display in system prefs. The sliders in the color calibration console don't change anything. This leads me to believe that OpenGL or Quartz etc... is not functioning or enabled.

BTW, I have GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Any ideas?

How to replace mach_kernel ?

I have issue with booting installation from USB...

I have Pentium D processor on G41-ES2L board. SATA HDD and DVD. Geforce 8400 GS.

I find out that Pentium D processors need patched kernel to boot retail Snow Leo. So i jumped to replacing it whit some kernel that supposed to boot with Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors whit SSE2 and SSE3. (mach_kernel.432, qoopz 10.3.0 supposed to do that,and some voodoo etc...)

Whit original mach_kernel I was getting instant reeboot after kakewalk loads.

After i replaced the kernel that I need, loading started but after loading for a while it freezes and turns off my monitor. Whit some other kernel i get screen requested for restarting computer, and voodoo kernel just loads forever...

So basically im not sure if im doing this the right way. Do I need repair some permissions after replacing mach_kernel. Must I change some other file also afterwards? How exactly to do this process?

Im using USB method with Kakewalk v2.2.

I just installed Kakewalk 3.1 on my EP45-UD3P and everything seems to be working great, except the sound. I was getting Sound Assertion errors in the startup log. I could see the audio devices in the System Profiler, but they didn't show up in System Preferences under Sound -> Output.

I ended up installing the kext found here: http://www.kexts.com/view/601-alc889a_sound.html

and it worked using the 4 outs 2 ins HDA LegacyHDA.kext.

I removed the legacy 889a in /E/E and just kept the AppleHDA.kext that was already in /S/L/E. Hope this helps anyone else that may have had this problem.