CPU temperature in iStat

oldnapalm

208 posts in this topic

I can because I did something "extra" which I won't reveal or I'll end up in court one day.

Tsk, tsk. Arent you the guy that always and everywhere nag ppl to get the sourcecode from them?

So come on, its your shot then, show us what you did.

Anyways, Mr. 'i-nag-ppl-to-get-their-code-because-i-cant-do-anything-myself', your stories are ....

Proof it or ....

Thanks man, I'm glad this is useful to you too.

About the log messages there's not much we can do, iStat tries to read a lot of keys, I think even on real Macs not all the keys are valid (depends on the model). If you just want to remove the messages from log, you can remove the debug messages from FakeSMC, just comment out the following line from IOACPIPlatformDeviceCh.cpp

IOLog("FakeSMC: key not found %c%c%c%c, length - %x\n", s->key[0], s->key[1], s->key[2], s->key[3],  s->data_len);

At the risk of sounding chainik - Pray whither do I seek this file?

Please oblige by shedding light on this as I explore renewed methods of expressing my gratitude for the trouble you take.

Tsk, tsk. Arent you the guy that always and everywhere nag ppl to get the sourcecode from them?

So come on, its your shot then, show us what you did.

Anyways, Mr. 'i-nag-ppl-to-get-their-code-because-i-cant-do-anything-myself', your stories are ....

Proof it or ....

Come on!

This guy's trying every bit as hard as you to help each other out here. Why don't you see the small button on top of the screen where mouse hover reveals "my friends"? Press on it with all your heart, and say "let's do it together".

Please?

Please oblige by shedding light on this as I explore renewed methods of expressing my gratitude for the trouble you take.

You been asking for teh source of teh sources? If yes, then there you go. (Those sentences exceed my english knowledge.) Whoops, oldnapalm was faster. ;)

Come on!

This guy's trying every bit as hard as you to help each other out here. Why don't you see the small button on top of the screen where mouse hover reveals "my friends"? Press on it with all your heart, and say "let's do it together".

Please?

Well...uh. IMO the guy's post needs no comments. Better for him, better for us.

The file in question is in FakeSMC source package. I presume you don't have Xcode installed (sorry if I'm wrong), so here is the same kext without the "key not found" log message.

fakesmc.kext.zip

The file in question is in FakeSMC source package. I presume you don't have Xcode installed (sorry if I'm wrong), so here is the same kext without the "key not found" log message.

Thank you friend.

You are correct. I have not installed Xcode & have no idea about compiling packages, as I never needed to.

By the way just occurred to me, have you tried getting rid of OpenHaltRestart? There is as way it is done in DSDT.

Ideas?

No temps with this version. Just a dash "-" and nothing else.

Maybe Netkas can explain why we need fakesmc.kext in the first place, because the kext uses the very same ports. What's the catch here?

BTW: I no longer use fakesmc.kext nor any other related kext (never mind asking how because I won't get sacked over this – my employer has a good relationship with Apple).

DO NOT start this again...

Was several guy in the past who claimed that...and ended in a ridiculous way...

And if is NDA then is "do not discuss" also.

I expect more from you...

Thank you friend.

You are correct. I have not installed Xcode & have no idea about compiling packages, as I never needed to.

By the way just occurred to me, have you tried getting rid of OpenHaltRestart? There is as way it is done in DSDT.

Ideas?

I always needed OpenHaltRestart.

I read somewhere that Master Chief got that working in one of his latest DSDT for P5K, but didn't look into it yet. I'll let you know if I find something.

I read somewhere that Master Chief got that working in one of his latest DSDT for P5K, but didn't look into it yet. I'll let you know if I find something.

I was "only" able to mimic kdreboot() in OpenHaltRestart.kext by injecting 0xfe into EC.CMD and to mod _PTS a little (to change shutdown into restart) but I haven't had the time to finish it – this obviously due all help offered over the last... what do I know. That is also the only reason I did not share it with you {censored} & gals. Hopefully soon...

Edit: In case someone wants to reproduce this on a GB board, here what to do:

Add this to your Device (EC):

// New: Keyboard Controller Command Port – Used to trigger a warm boot (for testing).
				OperationRegion (KBCP, SystemIO, 0x64, One)
				Field (KBCP, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
				{
					CMD,	8
				}

And add this to the end of Method _PTS()

if (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
	{
		Store (0xfe, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.CMD)
	}

Now do a shutdown to restart you hack :|

Note: You need to have/add the SBUS/EC devices, because it won't work without them!!!

i can confirm that this is truth.

Right now, temporary, i am back to my own patched DSDT, but the last one i used from Chief's DSDT didnt need openhalt to restart.

I tested the fakesmc.kext from the 1st post on 945GCM-S2L, E2180 @ 2 GHz.

I got CPU temperature in iStat about 48-50 C. GB bios showed about 34-35 C. Is this Correct?

post-93383-1256015667_thumb.jpg

Also, I used Temperature Monitor and it showed as a below picture.

1d032f2ab7.jpg

CPU A Temerature Diode was very high. I think this one was not correct. If I didn't use the modified fakesmc.kext, CPU A Temperature Diode would not show up.

Thank you for your work.

As I checked today I still have the errors in my log

(kernel FakeSMC: key info not found VSFC, length - 6 .... and so on)

Thanks

10.5 version works fine, thx

As Tmongkol, a new temperature appeared in Temperatur Monitor Menu but the value is wrong lol here is a screnshot :

post-290278-1256033296_thumb.jpg

I don't see any difference betwin Temp Monitor and IStat temp

Here is also the FakeSMC console error messages when I launched IStat, some seem to be related to FanSpeed value (Fnum?) :

Fakesmc.txt

Thx

With the new fakeSMC I also see the +9000 degree CPU A temperature diode in Temperature Monitor.

CPU A Temerature Diode was very high. I think this one was not correct. If I didn't use the modified fakesmc.kext, CPU A Temperature Diode would not show up.

As Tmongkol, a new temperature appeared in Temperatur Monitor Menu but the value is wrong lol here is a screnshot :

About "CPU A Temperature Diode", looks like Temperature Monitor reads the same 2 bytes TC0D key, but big-endian, while iStat uses little-endian.

For example:

TC0D =

iStat reads: 0x0031 = 49

Temperature Monitor reads 0x3100 = 12544

As I checked today I still have the errors in my log

(kernel FakeSMC: key info not found VSFC, length - 6 .... and so on)

Thanks

Looks like I removed the wrong log message ("key not found" instead of "key info not found"). I'll compile it again when I get home at night (GMT -3).

I tested the fakesmc.kext from the 1st post on 945GCM-S2L, E2180 @ 2 GHz.

I got CPU temperature in iStat about 48-50 C. GB bios showed about 34-35 C. Is this Correct?

I used 100 for Tjmax value, and looks like your CPU's is 85, that's why you see the 15º difference. I'll look for a better way to do it.

TC1D, TC2D, TC3D appear as CPU B, C and D

This is from smc.0.01 :

Temperature sensors
-------------------
TB0T
TC0D
TC0P
TM0P
TN0P
Th0H
Ts0P
TN1P
Th1H

Light sensors
-------------
ALV0 - Left 
ALV1 - Right 

Motion sensors
--------------
MO_X
MO_Y
MO_Z

Attached is the utility on which iStats sensormodule is based on.

smc.zip