CPU temperature in iStat

oldnapalm

208 posts in this topic

There is no actual way to edit and change the TJ MAX of the OS? This seems to be my only problem.

There's no Tjmax for the OS. FakeSMC emulates the SMC device, it provides the temp keys for programs that read them (iStat). VoodooMonitor reads the CPU temps using it's own kext, not from FakeSMC (actually this FakeSMC feature was taken from VoodooMonitor, which is based on VoodooPower). The same happens with PStateChanger.

I have not setup speed stepped at all in the DSDT vanilla speed, but when im guessing the voodoopstatev4 did something because im using dual display video right now and a couple other programs and im watching the voodoomonitor ONLY while pstatechanger is one the states changes from 6.0 (1.59ghz) - 8.0 (2.13ghz) under load.

Another alternative is VoodooPowerMini. AFAIK voodoopstatev4 does nothing if the app is not running. VoodooPowerMini works on its own, you can use VoodooMonitor to verify.

Sir oldnapalm:

Thanks for the suggestion, I went ahead and picked up VoodooPowerMiniVersion 1.2.49 and installed. Awesome work, I see them moving. So voodoopowermini is working without VoodooMonitor on correct, or must I run the program to gain the multipliers? Sorry that's all I wanted to ask. everything should be fine and just like xp/7 if osx is reading my CPU with TJ max at 85C not 100C.

post-575095-1267087349_thumb.png

Sweet, so here's one for you. That's essentially speed stepping is it not? Using the mulitpliers on higher load? That's what I always thought. So if that's the case, why are people still manually doing it in the DSDT? What's the difference for these hacked mac OS? I guess i'm missing something. Can't you just use vooodoopowermini and call it a day? hah enlighten me if willing all wise "InsanelyMac Legend"

So APPLE is really having that much time keeping their machines from running so durn hot? That's hilarious! They have to rely on 3rd party apps (which are very few compared to M$) but yeah. I guess that's why we live in a M$ world. Mac Leo server being actual useful? HAH!

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html this looks very useful

Sweet, so here's one for you. That's essentially speed stepping is it not? Using the mulitpliers on higher load? That's what I always thought. So if that's the case, why are people still manually doing it in the DSDT? What's the difference for these hacked mac OS? I guess i'm missing something. Can't you just use vooodoopowermini and call it a day?

You're right, it's SpeedStep. I think some people do it in DSDT to have a more "vanilla" system (using original kexts instead of modified ones).

hah enlighten me if willing all wise "InsanelyMac Legend"

Please don't get me wrong, this title is set by InsanelyMac based on the number of posts you have made.

Hah ok just making sure about that, I guess some folk get really anal about their hacked macs and what they display. Anyways, I know about the title hah etc I was just making it fun :( Thanks for the info though, you've mad a few things clear for and perhaps a few others.

I'm actually a MCP-XP/2k3, and newly MCSE. I use M$ products 24/7 of course. Never have to touch a mac, and probably never will in the work field (never used in network admin of course). Thanks dude!

I gotta say though, OSX is definitely easier on the eyes, functions built into the OS are actually really cool and useful, so I give them thumbs for appearance, just not any functionality over M$ besides editing digital media (vids/music/etc) just my two cents, great fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone noticed that 10.6.2 makes their HDD run hotter. My loptop is running about 6 degrees c on average and my desktop is about 3 degrees hotter compared to 10.6.1 and 10.6 ?

You mean HDD or CPU? I haven't noticed changes in temperatures from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

What power management kext are you using?

:)

Just a sanity check here... does this seem right? [ I hope I have interpreted the previous comments in this thread correctly...]

In my new hackintosh HTPC, I have a GA-G41M-E2SL + a Conroe E6300 (B2) [has tjmax = 85].

iStat Menus reported a temperature that was 15deg over what it should have read - I went into the Fakesmc.kext and edited the tjmax value to be 85 (instead of the original 100).

Now it read the same as (Breslink's) Temperature Monitor.

Is this the right way to do this?

:blink:;)

:(

Just a sanity check here... does this seem right? [ I hope I have interpreted the previous comments in this thread correctly...]

In my new hackintosh HTPC, I have a GA-G41M-E2SL + a Conroe E6300 (B2) [has tjmax = 85].

iStat Menus reported a temperature that was 15deg over what it should have read - I went into the Fakesmc.kext and edited the tjmax value to be 85 (instead of the original 100).

;):(

Yes, that's right.

-_-

;):rolleyes:

Sorry for the OT but can you tell me more or pass me a link to understand you dsdt modification for the wake by Ethernet, please?

Sorry my weak english, I am turkish boy, and this is my method. I have first Temperature 61 © but i found this method and my temperature is 26 or 28 ©

Install first 10.6.3:

Delete this file:

S/L/E

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementXXX.kext (i don't remember full name, because i delete it)

Install this kext:

AppleACPIThermal.kext for 10.6.3 - 32bit edition (64bit is Kernel Panic)

VoodooPState.kext

fakesmc.kext v2 (Modified by oldnapalm)

http://rapidshare.com/files/371893324/For_...op_Fan.zip.html

63588947.png

Have FUN :D

Sorry for the OT but can you tell me more or pass me a link to understand you dsdt modification for the wake by Ethernet, please?

Here's mine (EWOL). Find user Phoenix Wright and ask him if you want to know more, I stole it from his DSDT.

As far as I can tell, 0x0800 must match your PMBASE address - verify it in your FACP table and your DSDT's CPU declaration - if your CPUs are at 0x00000410, change 0x0800 below to 0x0400. If you can use this code at all.

Device (GIGE)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
				{
					0x09, 
					0x03
				})
				OperationRegion (GPIO, SystemIO, 0x0800, 0x06)
				Field (GPIO, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					GO01,   8, 
					GO02,   8, 
					GO03,   8, 
					GO04,   8, 
					GO05,   8, 
					GP9,	1
				}

Method (EWOL, 1, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
					{
						Or (GP9, One, GP9)
					}
					Else
					{
						And (GP9, Zero, GP9)
					}

If (LEqual (Arg0, GP9))
					{
						Return (Zero)
					}
					Else
					{
						Return (One)
					}
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x04)
						{
							"built-in", 
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x01
							}, 

"location", 
							Buffer (0x02)
							{
								"1"
							}
						}, Local0)
					MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}
		}

I can't test if it works though because neither sleep nor hibernation works for me anymore (broken motherboard?) in neither Linux, Windows or OS X.

Is is possible for iStat to report incorrect temperatures in 10.6.3 ? I have readings of 99-100deg across all 4 cores during idle in SL 10.6.3, and 39 to 42deg in Windows 7 during idle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (Bios F5)

Intel Core i7-930 @ 3.8ghz

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3-2000 (PC3 16000) 10-10-10-30 (1.65v)

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm Cooler

Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case

Corsair TX 950W Power Supply BFG GeForce GTX 260 O.C. 896MB

Is is possible for iStat to report incorrect temperatures in 10.6.3 ? I have readings of 99-100deg across all 4 cores during idle in SL 10.6.3, and 39 to 42deg in Windows 7 during idle.

Maybe Windows shows temp in Celsius and iStat is configured to use Fahrenheit? Check the iStat prefPane.

About the difference, SpeedStep may not be working properly in Mac.

Maybe Windows shows temp in Celsius and iStat is configured to use Fahrenheit? Check the iStat prefPane.

You're absolutely right, I checked RealTemp in W7 and it's (Cel vs Fah).

How can I check to make sure SpeedStep if configured correctly? If you have time I can upload my DSDT file, or if can point me to the correct forum to read.

I got the DSDT from a EX58-ud5 user, but everything seems to work on my GA-X58a-UD5 except for sound. I know it's the difference between the 889a vs 889 audio on the boards.

I have to learn more about DSDT so I can correct the differences (id stuff, audio etc. ) between the EX58 and GA-X58a in the DSDT file I'm using. Slowly but surely I'm reading and tweaking my system.

Thanks for your help.

You can use VoodooMonitor to check if SpeedStep is working.

I've been following this thread with interest. iStat seems to work OK, but I can't get VoodooMonitor to install. It just KPs and I have to have to boot into Leo to remove it.

Is 1.1.1 the latest? Does it work on 64-bit?

The latest version I know is 1.0.7

http://www.applelife.ru/topic/20179-voodoo...F-snow-leopard/

They say it's not working on i5 and i7, and suggest using Mark-i.

Where did you find version 1.1.1?

OK, so it doesn't work with my i7 then?

The version I got says it is 1.1.1 in Finder. I got it on a site that says it was got from the same link you posted! Mine says Version 1.1.1 created 23/09/2009 106kb on disk.

It's probably the same file.

I'm going to try Mark-i.

The version I got says it is 1.1.1 in Finder. I got it on a site that says it was got from the same link you posted! Mine says Version 1.1.1 created 23/09/2009 106kb on disk.

It's probably the same file.

Yes, it's the same, that's the kext version.

• 3 weeks later...