Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

I think we are getting half the speed we should on osx I score 30,24 but 54,30 on Win7 cinebench 11.5;

about sponza who makes it can't find a download page for osx

Yeah, the performance still need to get better but it's already nice to have something that works.

For Sponza: Just download "smallluxgpu" from macupdates.com, it's already built-in.

First of all, thanks for the hard work of everyone on this thread...

I have a x58-ud4p with 3 video cards. 2 x HD5850 overclocked to 940/1200 crossfired and one nVidia 8400GS. At the moment I am using 8400GS when I boot on OSX 10.6.4 and HD5850s when I boot on Win7. I want to use my HD5850s on OSX, but I have some doubts:

1) Will the crossfire create problems, like kernel Panic?

2) Will the overclocked Bios cause some problem?

3) Will I have to disable the crossfire or it will just not work, like it is not there?

4) Will the both cards work (could I plug displays on both)?

5) Is possible to put the kexts of graphics update into extra folder. Will they load on boot? I am thinking to create a USB boot drive, to not have to mess with my setup. But, I am not sure if the will load or if they really need to be on S/L/E.

I know, too much questions at same time... But any help or advice will be really appreciated.

PS: I am planning to use boot 9 and videocard.rom

Thanks in advance

I will answer my own questions, maybe it help others or someone can help us to find a solution.

1) Not kernel panic. Sometimes I can even open system profiler, after it I have endless beach ball. Sometimes freezes on blue screen.

2) No. It doesn't cause problems. Otherwise, my benchmarks are better with overclocked GPU with overclocked bios on extra. Overclocked GPU with original bios on Extra also works, but little worse results on benchmarks.

3) I guess crossfire link is not the problem. Because with crossfire link off, the presence of the two cards are suffice to cause the problem above explained.

4) When I can see the system profile, both seems to be correctly configured. But how I said before, after I open the system profile I have endless beach ball (It aplies to other apps too - The first app opened causes the endless beach ball).

5) Not tried.

Any help is welcome. I am a bit loosed. I don't know if I need another boot file, if I need to edit my DSDT.aml. If I can't find a solution will be impossible to dual boot this computer. I believe crossfire wil not work because mac limitations, but at least can use with both card connected and better yet, with crossfire link on place. Otherwise will be impossible remove one card every time I boot on OSX and I will still using my weak 8400GS until a better solution arrives.

Thanks in advance.

I took the screenshots with an overclocked i7 @ 4Ghz and one HD 5850 @ 900 mhz gpu clock / 1200 mhz memory clock.

post-226447-1284307176_thumb.jpg

post-226447-1284307189_thumb.jpg

post-226447-1284307203_thumb.jpg

answer for question 5):

yes you can put grahics update kexts on bootable USB to test or install DVD

Use the Uakari boot file at the end of the post (put it in root of chameleon partiton), it is the latest Cahmeleon RC5 with latest ATI support. for crossfire i think you need EFI strings. it will tell OSX how to use both cards. read alittle of the FERMI thread, as it has alot about dual cards, someone there maybe able to help you.

Uakari.zip

Hi all,

I've got some problems with my 5870. Maybe i explain what do i do firstly. So, that all steps that i undertake:

1. I'm installing Mac OS without any problem with the help of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] -3 help.

2. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and tick everything what i after but don't install:

- UserDSDT (file is located on the desktop)

- ATY_Init Uakari

- 32-bit GraphicEnabler=No

3. Update to 10.6.4

4. Run SL graphics update

5. Install all ticked staff from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

6. Click on 10.6.4 or graphics update restart button.

Aaaaaaaand it doesn't work at least i use DVI to VGA adapter :blink: . My max resolution is 2560x1600 but with the adapter i can set max resolution only to 1920X1200 and colors are not so great. Any please any suggestions why does it happen like that :( .

I'll be very appreciate for any help.

Peace

answer for question 5):

yes you can put grahics update kexts on bootable USB to test or install DVD

Use the Uakari boot file at the end of the post (put it in root of chameleon partiton), it is the latest Cahmeleon RC5 with latest ATI support. for crossfire i think you need EFI strings. it will tell OSX how to use both cards. read alittle of the FERMI thread, as it has alot about dual cards, someone there maybe able to help you.

sirbow2,

I am using boot9 (trauma's modified from HD5770 Thread), it uses Uakari. I believe crossfire (sum of power of two cards) doesn't work on OSX. But I know dual graphics card is possible, probably using EFI string or DSDT.aml edited. I will research on Fermi thread and on aquamac's blog.

Thanks for the info.

I will answer my own questions, maybe it help others or someone can help us to find a solution.

1) Not kernel panic. Sometimes I can even open system profiler, after it I have endless beach ball. Sometimes freezes on blue screen.

2) No. It doesn't cause problems. Otherwise, my benchmarks are better with overclocked GPU with overclocked bios on extra. Overclocked GPU with original bios on Extra also works, but little worse results on benchmarks.

3) I guess crossfire link is not the problem. Because with crossfire link off, the presence of the two cards are suffice to cause the problem above explained.

4) When I can see the system profile, both seems to be correctly configured. But how I said before, after I open the system profile I have endless beach ball (It aplies to other apps too - The first app opened causes the endless beach ball).

5) Not tried.

Any help is welcome. I am a bit loosed. I don't know if I need another boot file, if I need to edit my DSDT.aml. If I can't find a solution will be impossible to dual boot this computer. I believe crossfire wil not work because mac limitations, but at least can use with both card connected and better yet, with crossfire link on place. Otherwise will be impossible remove one card every time I boot on OSX and I will still using my weak 8400GS until a better solution arrives.

Thanks in advance.

I took the screenshots with an overclocked i7 @ 4Ghz and one HD 5850 @ 900 mhz gpu clock / 1200 mhz memory clock.

Dual ATI cards have generally not worked in hackintoshes - especially true for dual cards of the same model. One thing you could try is to modify your x3000 kext to try to disable the second GPU. Have a look at my 5970 instructions to see what I mean (can't link it for you at the moment because I'm using my phone). Crossfire will not give you any improved performance in OSX anyway so you'd be best off trying to get that second card disabled.

Trauma!'s method doesn't seem to work with all 5850's yet, unless I am doing something wrong. I am still getting the max-fans and black screen at boot. In verbose mode it is almost impossible to see what the messages are before I lose the screen.

I have a Sapphire HD5850 1GB (Non-reference).

Here's what I did:

*Extracted the firmware using the ATI WinFlash utility in Windows7.

*installed 10.6.4 combo update

*Installed Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

*Installed Chameleon RC5 pre (r396) (Also tried RC4...)

*Copy boot9 to /boot (tried boot8 & boot7 as well)

*Placed firmware in /Extra/1002_6899.rom

*Added "UseAtiRom"=Yes and "Graphics Enabler"=Yes to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Is there anything I'm missing? Can I provide further information?

Thanks a bunch, looking forward to having my card work!

Dual ATI cards have generally not worked in hackintoshes - especially true for dual cards of the same model. One thing you could try is to modify your x3000 kext to try to disable the second GPU. Have a look at my 5970 instructions to see what I mean (can't link it for you at the moment because I'm using my phone). Crossfire will not give you any improved performance in OSX anyway so you'd be best off trying to get that second card disabled.

Okay I followed your advice and works... But when I tried to connect two monitors on the same card it freezes OSX. Interesting is the two cards still working, at least a can boot on both and both still on the system profile. When I connect one monitor to each card, the image on one works and the other one has a corrupt image, but i can see the mouse pointer even on the one with corrupt image.

Another strange thing... After a tried the combination of the monitors (two on the first card, one on each card, etc.) I can't to log to OSX again. Even if I try the setup that worked before. I tried to boot with -f and -v flags, but OSX still freezing on the blue screen.

Edited: I cleaned the caches and now is working again.

Did you tried to create an EFI string like aquamac's tutorial to your HD4870? I have heard that new MacPros are using two HD5770, did it solve the problem of two ATI cards?

Thanks for the advice.

Trauma!'s method doesn't seem to work with all 5850's yet, unless I am doing something wrong. I am still getting the max-fans and black screen at boot. In verbose mode it is almost impossible to see what the messages are before I lose the screen.

Here's what I did:

*Added "UseAtiRom"=Yes and "Graphics Enabler"=Yes to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Seems to be okay... Maybe the problem is the fact of your card is not reference card. Did you try another frambuffer. Take a look on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&hl=HD+5770

I dont know if it makes a difference but i think its" UseAtiROM" not "UseAtiRom"

digitalsin, you are my hero. I changed that with whatever boot file I tried last (boot7) and I'm typing to you now from OSX on my 5850.

Let that be a lesson to the rest of you: values in com.apple.Boot.plist are definitely case-sensitive!

I disabled one card but seems something is wrong... Normally the air flow from the cards (when idle) stay about 35 C, but when disabling one card the air flow goes above 55 C. I didn't check the temperature directly on the cards, just the temperature of air flow. I have noticed the fans don't speed up, even with the increase of heat. I am a little bit afraid to be frying my cards.

Did you check the temp of your card?

digitalsin, you are my hero. I changed that with whatever boot file I tried last (boot7) and I'm typing to you now from OSX on my 5850.

Let that be a lesson to the rest of you: values in com.apple.Boot.plist are definitely case-sensitive!

Hi, I am glad to know someone can use his ATI 5850 in 64 bit Snow Leopard now.

Just want to make sure the following points you had mentioned :

1. You are using Chamelon RC5 pre (r396) and Trauma's b7

2. The others I had tried are totally same as yours except my card is Asus EAH 5850.

3. Mine is only working in 32 bit with ATY_init.kext

jsl:

You can try this post that I created over at Tonymacx86: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

or you can try this :http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=230874&st=0

Good luck, and sorry if you've got a solution already.

J

jsl:

You can try this post that I created over at Tonymacx86: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5779

or you can try this :http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=230874&st=0

Good luck, and sorry if you've got a solution already.

J

Thanks for your information, but both posts can NOT help my Asus ATI EAH5850 working yet.

Even I have tried these methods from Kabyl (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768)

and Mohamed Khairy (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231756),

all caused X3000.kext kernel panic on booting.

As far as i could understand, there is no solution to make HD5850/5870 100% working? Sometimes this cards freeze and stop working occasionaly (during opening System profile etc). So, these cards are still not working in SL, is it correct? Though OpenCL tests are succesful sometimes.

Thanks for your information, but both posts can NOT help my Asus ATI EAH5850 working yet.

Even I have tried these methods from Kabyl (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768)

and Mohamed Khairy (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231756),

all caused X3000.kext kernel panic on booting.

are you booting in 64BIT? if not then that could be the issue, as the same thing happened to me.

i got a X3000 KP, but when i tried booting in 64BIT no X3000 KP ! :P

are you booting in 64BIT? if not then that could be the issue, as the same thing happened to me.

i got a X3000 KP, but when i tried booting in 64BIT no X3000 KP ! :P

Yes, I have booted in 64 bit by editing my com.apple.Boot.plist in both /Extra and /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration using arch=x86_64

Also editing IOPCICLassMatch in X3000.kext

Here's what I did:

Try Kabyl's bootloader and search for the correct framebuffer with "AtiFb" option : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

Please report.

Bye.

try -force64 with arch=x86_64 command.

so like arch=x86_64 -force64

jsl if you have a AMD system you may need a new kernel fro 64 bit support

My MB is Asus P5Q PRO and CPU is Intel Core Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

Using arch=x86_64 -force64 still got KP of X3000.kext

However applied ATY_init and arch=i386/GraphicsEnabler=N my EAH5850 works in both DVI ports

Edit on Oct 5:

Thanks for Kabyl and many other friends here :

After many trials and errors I have made 3 different cards working in x64 Snow Leopard 10.6.4:

1. Asus EAH4850 512MB in Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 MB (Motmot)(Cardinal)

2. MSI R5770 Hawk 1GB in Asus P6T SE MB (Vervet)

3. Asus EAH5850 1GB in Asus P5Q PRO MB (Uakari)

The key issues are:

(1) edited all parameters in com.apple.Boot.plist (including AtiFb=xxxxx, arch=x86_64, -force64, etc.)

(2) injected VendorID_DeviceID in related ATIRadeon4800.kext, ATIRadeon5000.kext, X2000.kext and X3000.kext

otherwise you may get Kernel panic at X3000.kext or booting frozen at PciRootUID=x, etc.

Hey Guys,

I have been over at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232647 trying to get my new setup to work! I have a X58A-UD3R rev2 FA with i7 950 and Sapphire HD 5850.

I have been trying random posts for the past week and still no success. I beleive to have gotten graphics to somewhat work in 64bit at one point using kakewalk i beleive - but i have NEVER gotta ethernet to work, nor have I had much like that damn thing not black screening on boot with 100% fan usage.

You guys sound very knowledgabe from what i've been reading in this topic, but I must say it is a bit all over the place - I dont even know where to start!

If someone wouldn't mind - a simple step by step from a vanilla install of SL would be greatly appreciated! I am going crazy here trying to figure this out its killing me! any help would be greatly appreciated!

--][--