Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

1) nothing is 100% reliable in a hack

you're messign with a system that's not suposed to be working at all on the first place

2) if you would just read all the posts you would have your answer: "3. Using Kext Utility b7 install all of the kexts off netkas.org"

if you need help on using Kext Utility, you haven't even opened the app because it's ultra easy. Anyway, google is your friend

1) nothing is 100% reliable in a hack

you're messign with a system that's not suposed to be working at all on the first place

2) if you would just read all the posts you would have your answer: "3. Using Kext Utility b7 install all of the kexts off netkas.org"

if you need help on using Kext Utility, you haven't even opened the app because it's ultra easy. Anyway, google is your friend

ok.. i've been spanked.. I apologize. I thought we were working together then I dropped the ball and lost the momentum...

I did use the kext utility before (In fact, I posted to someone how to do it! ), but I could not get my system back, so I wondered if I did something wrong. I read there is no order to install them kexts, and I don't know if there is an order to install this file: aty_init (not sure what netkas means by install them both at time)

Make sure you are in 32 bit mode. do I need to be in 32 bit mode when i install the drivers from netkas?

Do I installl all the kexts with the 4870 in place, then turn machine off, put the 5870 in, and then start again? How do you turn off graphicsenabler?

so these are the questions i will search for! and to apologize for the error of my ways, maybe I will be the one to post a definitive step by step guide... IF my hackintosh comes back on line... :)

everyone gets lost in the sea of posts, so don't worry

when netkas say install both, he means the aty_init and the drivers. Yes, install them with your 4870 and reboot is the way to go. No need to be in 32-bit

you must set GraphicsEnabler = NO in com.boot.plist

ok.. so i installed the aty_init, then shut down, took the 4870 out, put the 5870 in, and every string of text I could throw at it, after several reboots, black screen and fan on card at high.

I then read your comment to me, put the 4870 back in and was able to start up again!

Now I will attempt to install the rest of the drivers with the 4870 installed. Then should I reboot with the 4870 still in place? Or shut down, take it out and put the 5870 in? I am way more familiar with windows than I am Mac.. sorry...

Thanks by the way. It is a sea and difficult to navigate at times, but I appreciate everyone on this board and all the work we do to get these things to work, and all the support.

never mind.. you already addressed that! thanks... let me give it a shot.....

ok.. so after searching the forum here, I can't see what we need to do with the .bundle files and the .plugin files. Do those get dropped on Kext helper as well, or do we do something else with them?

well.. this is as far as I can get, and if I don't type GraphicsEnabler=no and arch=i386, I can't get it to boot at all.... What did I do or not do? (BTW: I did change Graphics enabler to no in: apple.boot.com(?).plist, I think that is what it is called..... I had two of these files, and only one had the graphics enabler line in it....) Also, when I first booted up, the lines were green, instead of blue, and I could at least select things on the desktop. The second time I booted the lines were blue, and I could not select anything on the desktop, had to do a hard restart. Something is missing... The first time, when I was able to select things on the desktop, I did notice that the 5870 was listed in the about this mac...

post-644106-1280305047_thumb.jpg

Update: When I rebooted, I got the green again. This time I was able to go to the display preferences and change the resolution. This solved the wavy line issue, until I reboot again. In the Hardware profile, I can see the 5870, BUT I can not boot the machine up without having to put in:

GraphicsEnabler=No

arch=i386.

How do you have it running in 64 bit, and how do I get the dumb graphics enabler in the com.apple.plist file to work, so I don't have to type these things everytime I reboot?

Also, when I launch FCP I get this error message: "Final Cut Pro reguires that your system have 128 MB of Vram. This system has only 0mb of vram." and "FCP requres that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card."

Anybody have a fix for this? the system profile under about this mac shows the whole 1024 MB of vram....

PCI Express 2.0

It's the one with the fan on the end with the power connector... looks like this one:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...dr5-review.html

There are two models of that "reference"-like card:

21161-00-50R and 11161-00-50R

But I don't see the difference... The 21161-00-50R is a bit more expensive.

Edit: the (21161-00-50R) model has the reference-like cooler, the other one has the fan in the middle

Thanks zoob, so you must own an AMD/ATI reference card version 1. I don't know if the version 2 will be "hackintoshable". Anyway, my XFX should be fine.

On a side note, if you browse the new Mac Pro page specs, you will see 5870 with blower (fan on the right) and it's mentioned PCI Express 2.0.

Heyyo,

Update: When I rebooted, I got the green again. This time I was able to go to the display preferences and change the resolution. This solved the wavy line issue, until I reboot again. In the Hardware profile, I can see the 5870, BUT I can not boot the machine up without having to put in:

GraphicsEnabler=No

arch=i386.

How do you have it running in 64 bit, and how do I get the dumb graphics enabler in the com.apple.plist file to work, so I don't have to type these things everytime I reboot?

Also, when I launch FCP I get this error message: "Final Cut Pro reguires that your system have 128 MB of Vram. This system has only 0mb of vram." and "FCP requres that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card."

Anybody have a fix for this? the system profile under about this mac shows the whole 1024 MB of vram....

What everyone's been saying about the kext installs is first install aty_init.kext in "System/Library/Extensions" solo and see if it detects the card info. If it does? then install ati5000controller.kext, atisupport.kext and atiframebuffer.kext into "S/L/E". If it's still good on reboot then throw atix3000controller.kext and the .bundle and .plugin files all into "S/L/E".. if all still good? then you're set!

For what's happening to your system? my main guess is your problem is that you may need to modify the info.plist in the aty_init.kext as others did... to do that? just copy aty_init.kext to your desktop or something, menu-click on it and select "show package contents".. once it opens, just go one folder in and there will be the info.plist... just open that in text editor or Properly List Editor (Part of XCode on your Snow Leopard disk) and look for your card in there it should be under IOKitPersonalities>ATY_Init>ATi Radeion 5870 Series... and what you can try is what others did and change the "Uakari" to "Vervet" or "Eulemur".. I know some folks have had good luck with Vervet so try that one first.. then reinstall the aty_init.kext and hope for the best! Hope this helps! :P

Oh, if you get a kernel panic? yeah you can try and use your 4870 to get it going again, if that fails though? boot in single user mode (-s) and then once in do the two "/sbin" commands it shows. Once in there? do without quotes "cd /system/library/extensions" and then "rm -rf aty_init.kext" and repeat for ati5000controller.kext, atisupport.kext, atiframebuffer.kext and atix3000controller.kext and reboot and set it to "ignore cashes" which I think is -f or -x... {censored} I forget, lol.... anywho? hope this gets something going for ya.. just {censored} I've learned doing this all.. just be happy your vidcard works man, lol, I'm still dreaming about the day Netkas starts getting the 5650 series going.. especially mobility in my case, lol. :)

so shut up you all am i gonna be able to install 10.6.4 on my now with the QE enabled or not? :P

Wow way to be a douche... if you have been following the thread you would know all this {censored} is beta.. so it either works or it does not.. try it yourself if you want but there's definitely no guarantees.. just try installing the kext's and such as I have in this post.

Thanks a ton man! I was trying to figure out what the Verve thing was... I replaced the "Uakari"'s with "Verve". I tried to only get the ones associated with the 5870. I did not see the string that you mentioned: "IOKitPersonalities>ATY_Init>ATi Radeion 5870 Series" - but I think I found where the 5870 was in the plist. Also, there was a couple of strings that were: UakariParent in there. I did not add Parent to the Verve when I changed it. I hope that is not a problem. I am about to reboot now... Will this enable QE/CI? I know what the QE is, but what is the CI? I know I need QE to edit in FCP, but It is not enabled. OpenGL viewer shows no video memory, yet system profiler shows the memory.

BTW: Thanks so much for the assist. Really appreciate that. I will compile an instruction for other noobs when this is all done and IF i can get it working! Thanks again.

So here is what is interesting:

Rebooted. Put in the GraphicsEnabler=NO and the arch=i386.

Booted into OSX, but my two screens were reversed, and it had red wavy lines this time.

I went into system preferences, set the display to the lowest resolution, the wavy lines go away, looks clear now. Then I select 1600X1200 for my main display, and a lower resolution for the second monitor.

OSX has the two monitors reversed. Everytime I change the resolution of the "VGA Display" it changes the resolution on the second monitor. Everytime I change the resolution on the second monitor, it changes it for the "VGA display". so the option to change the resolution is misbehaving. I will try unplugging both monitors, try just one, then adding the other back in. I don't think this enabled QE/CI though (What is CI?) as the resolution on the main display is not just showing the resolution options for the second display, and that display does not have the same resolution options, they are lower.

Well.... that didn't work. The main monitor, would not come back on no matter what I did. But the secondary monitor came on, and in displays it acted as if it was the first monitor.. It had the name of the first or main monitor this time, not VGA monitor, but "SyncMaster" and it had the proper resolutions, but the syncmaster would not come on, no matter where on the card I connected it.

trying reboot with only one monitor attached - the syncmaster (My main monitor) in the top DVI port....

rebooted with the main monitor in the top DVI slot of the 5870, black screen, no boot, so i tried it in the second slot: nothing. Unplugged this monitor....

plugged the second monitor in, and it came on, but it has the OTHER monitor name and resolutions in display, even though that monitor has beed disconnected.

any hope??

It's been an hour or so now of testing. I backed out of the changes, and reinstalled the aty_init and I am back to where I started. System display sees both monitors, and sees them properly. Both displays are working. But when I rebooted, I had to still enter:

GraphicsEnabler=No / arch=i386

and when I rebooted, the screens were aweful, but I was able to set them to 640X480, that fixed the bad, then I could change each monitor to their full resolution: 1920X1200 and 1600X1200.

I need to get QE working though, as I am editing stuff for our site right now... any thing else I can try?

there's no way to boot without GraphicsEnabler=No / arch=i386

the drivers are right now 32 bit only, so no 64 bit at all, at least until the new imac/mac pro come out with the full drivers set, and Netkas does what he's best at

can't you try to do a clean install of Snow Leo on another drive?

there's no way to boot without GraphicsEnabler=No / arch=i386

the drivers are right now 32 bit only, so no 64 bit at all, at least until the new imac/mac pro come out with the full drivers set, and Netkas does what he's best at

can't you try to do a clean install of Snow Leo on another drive?

I am not sure what I did.. some combination of reinstalling, rebooting, reinstalling - i now have fcp working, not sure how / why. My open gl extensions viewer is reporting 1024mb memory -

How do I see if QE/CI is enabled? What is CI? I figured out the QE....

Also, the attached pictures, why are the last items failed, or not supported?

I am so afraid now to reboot, it's not funny.... if I reboot, will all this good fortune go away???

Is there anything I can give to help anyone else, even though I am not sure even how I got here...

Is the next step to just wait for the proper driver release from Netkas??? No pressure Netkas! :(

Should I just cram my other card in and see what happens?? ;) Might be better than kicking it around on the floor, waiting for dual card support....

Well it's about time....

I just found this document on TonyMac's site.

If anyone out there like me wants to know what is QE/CI? and how to know if it is enabled, go here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ena...celeration.html

It might give some insight, but it also raises more questions for me than it answers though! ;)

post-644106-1280357902_thumb.png

post-644106-1280357917_thumb.png

So, does anyone else have the issue where a browser window breaks up if you use the scroll wheel on a mouse? I have seen it in Firefox only so far. I will start editing today in FCP and see how well the drivers and configuration do. Thanks for the help getting to this point Mitalca!

Oh, and I have rebooted, and connected my Apple cinema display with video port adapter, no problems yet, and I have rebooted several times.

I have to say this: I have another Asus P5X68D Premium with i7 930 chip, and 6gb of ram. THis other computer also has a creative titanium XiFi whatever card installed, a 64 gig SSD and the ATI 4870. I used the same I32 boot CD, and all the command line items:

-v -x arch=i386 cpus=4 busratio=21

and it installed THE FIRST TIME, with ATI 4870 fully enabled!! That machine, I am thinking now will get the damn 5870s when the proper drivers come out. I was even able to update it to 10.6.4 with out a problem (My retail DVD from apple is a 10.6.3), it is kicking ass as a hackintosh. I can't figure out why this system was so much more difficult!

I owe it all to you, Mitalca! thanks for the assist... so far! (i still have many questions unanswered.... such as:

How the heck can I find a good dual boot thread. I need to download and install something, what is it? Chameleon? How exactly do I dual boot when SL is sitting on one SSD,and I would like to put Windows 7 on another???? I have read and read through the posts, but the simple questions and steps never get answered, or the posts are too old... can anyone give me a good software and instructions? I have even read through chameleons site, and i can't find it...

what install method did you use to get the Snow Leo running??

I'm pretty sure you have Chameleon already, since the GraphicsEnabler is part of it, and you had to deactivate it

so, my advice is to just disconect the SL drive, conect the new drive, and do a normal W7 install

after everything is fine, just plug the SL drive. I think Chameleon should detect the new drive right away. In that case, something like this should appear: 24488726.png

If you press any key, you get the option to choose wich drive/partition to boot from. Something like Chameleon-v2-osx86.png

if you don't get any of this, try editing the com.apple.boot.plist, that's the chameleon config file

Here you have the readme for changing options. Maybe check if you have Quiet boot enabled or something

I owe it all to you, Mitalca! thanks for the assist... so far! (i still have many questions unanswered.... such as:

How the heck can I find a good dual boot thread. I need to download and install something, what is it? Chameleon? How exactly do I dual boot when SL is sitting on one SSD,and I would like to put Windows 7 on another???? I have read and read through the posts, but the simple questions and steps never get answered, or the posts are too old... can anyone give me a good software and instructions? I have even read through chameleons site, and i can't find it...

What did you use to install OS X with? What bootloader did you install to your HDD?

If using a separate hard drive it is easy:

1. Open up your box and install the new HDD (if it is not already installed) and while you are in there. disconnect your OSX disk.

2. Boot up and enter the BIOS settings and set your new disk to 1st in the HDD boot order. Save & exit, continue boot.

3. Install your other OS (Win7 in your case) as you would if it was the only one you had.

4. Reboot and update from Microsoft Update website.

5. Shut down, reconnect your OS X HDD.

6 Boot up and enter BIOS settings and change your OS X HDD to 1st in the boot order. Save & exit, continue boot.

7. After the BIOS post when you see the Verifying DMA Pool Data, get ready to hit any key, usually space bar or the down arrow when the Darwin boot loader timer appears before it times out and select from the list (if using AsereBLN's bootloader). if you are using Chameleon, it should detect the Win7 drive and show you an icon.

8. Select whatever OS you want to run. (Win7 shows up as System Reserved)

Hope this helps.

If you want to install on a single HD, check out the procedure at

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dua...-os-x-snow.html