Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

Out of curiousity, and so I can check if my problem can be sorted with a kext delete... how did you tell that the audio kexts were the culprit?

Well i knew to begin with I had extra audio.kexts that werent doing anything, and when I would boot verbose, it showed a lot of audio errors, like "sound asserton failed" "hdaenabler could not find" "applehda kext error" I cannot remember the exact words, but when I saw that I decided to just get rid of all my audio.kexts, then reinstall carefully

Well i knew to begin with I had extra audio.kexts that werent doing anything, and when I would boot verbose, it showed a lot of audio errors, like "sound asserton failed" "hdaenabler could not find" "applehda kext error" I cannot remember the exact words, but when I saw that I decided to just get rid of all my audio.kexts, then reinstall carefully

Couldn't find anything that work... so I did a clean install of OSX and now it's all working perfectly! Bout time for 5870 support!

Hi Folks,

i got a problem. I tried to install SL on my System:

- GA-EP45-UD3LR rev 1.1

- 2x2 gb ocz ram

- q6600 @ 2.4

- 500 gb seagate

- sapphire vapor-x rev. 1 5870

The first method was the new Kakewalk version, the second method was the custom mac bios from cartri's blog.

I used the boot cd's to get my SL DVD running, but after some seconds of loading the dvd, the fan speed of my 5870 raised to max and the display signal went off.

Has anyone an idea where the problem is or maybe a solution?

Greetings

icepuma

Hi Folks,

i got a problem. I tried to install SL on my System:

- GA-EP45-UD3LR rev 1.1

- 2x2 gb ocz ram

- q6600 @ 2.4

- 500 gb seagate

- sapphire vapor-x rev. 1 5870

The first method was the new Kakewalk version, the second method was the custom mac bios from cartri's blog.

I used the boot cd's to get my SL DVD running, but after some seconds of loading the dvd, the fan speed of my 5870 raised to max and the display signal went off.

Has anyone an idea where the problem is or maybe a solution?

Greetings

icepuma

You'll need to install the 5870 drivers in /System/Library/Extensions (same applies to your install CD - it's much easier to use an external hard drive). You'll also need the 5870 ATY_init in your Extras and you'll need to disable graphics enabler.

To be honest, since it sounds like you're new to hackintoshes, I'd suggest you get a cheap graphics card that you know is compatible with vanilla Snow Leopard and use that to install. It'd probably be a lot easier. Then get the 5870 working later.

MSI twin frozr HD 5850 still not working correctly

main monitor DVI>hdmi>card

secondairy VGA>DVI>card

installed all kexts via kexthelper b7

repaired permissions

removed NVenabler64

booted via GraphicsEnabler=No arch=i386

tried -v -x -f

tried one monitor, tried other

results:

-secondary monitor loads correctly alone, correct resolution

-main monitor will not load alone

-secondary monitor and main monitor will load together with secondairy working and main blank

-secondary monitor and main monitor will load together with secondary blank and main working but in wrong resolution (the secondaries resolution, systen also thinks the monitor in use is the secondary when its not)

-no monitors work past loading screen

all results were acheived through different methods of startup options and cable manipulation, but never did the main monitor work correctly with correct resolution.

any advice?

Hi, thanks for the info guys ive successfully got my Asus 5850 to fully work QE/CI

I used the Kexts from Netkas and put them all in the S/L/E folder. Ran Kext Utility and rebooted with -f arch=i386 graphicsenabler=no commands. It worked on first boot up.

I will run the OpenGL benchmark now =)

Hey man, i did the same to make my 5850 work with 2 20" screens but no success. After booting i can run both screens at 1600x1200, but i get graphic glitches and flickering randomly over both screens, also sometimes one screen goes black for second. any idea of how to get this to work?

also, i'm confused about how to correctly install this stuff. some people seem to but one kext to e/e, and rest to s/l/e, and others just move all of it to s/l/e. then again others just use kext helper (will this tool move stuff to the correct location already, or only to s/l/e??)

whats the correct way to go?

and can someone tell me how to correctly repair permissions? will deleting Extenions.* and chmod/chown everything to root:wheel in either e/e or s/l/e do, or should i run kext utility? (will kext utility fix only s/l/e, or also e/e?)

To install Kexts, i place them in them in the folder i want either S/L/E or E/E, then i open up KextUtility and it repairs all the permissions and allows all Kexts to function. This is the easiest way, no need to enter Terminal.

About the 2 Monitors issue, i dont really know, i only use 1 monitor.

I think its safer to move Kexts into E/E, but i havent had a problem, i usually put any modded stuff in E/E like Audio, but put all VGA stuff in S/L/E. It should work either way tbh.

I put anything 'official' into /S/L/E i.e. that's where I put the graphics drivers. I usually put any custom stuff such as aty_init into my /E/E folder. I'd rather be using an injector for my graphics card so that I can have all custom stuff in /E/E. Keeping /S/L/E/ as vanilla as possible and just custom stuff in /E/E makes reinstalling much easier - you can just have a backup of your /E/E folder and put the same thing onto an installer hard drive.

Hi!

First of all sorry for my english. :(

In medias res here's my problem.

I downloaded the ATY_init.kext and the kext pack for my Sapphire 5750 card. I used kext helper and install all kext what i read here before (aty_inity+ati5000...bal,bla).

My first result was a kernel panic with the x3000 kext. I solve this with "arch=i386 -v" command and the OS now can boot. Every man happy? No....

Second result a breaked up screen (random pixels and coloured fault image everywhere). I see the mouse pointer moving (I have 5 mouse pointer in the background), but the screen can't define with poor human brain. :)

I can't postin screen yet cuz i'm not in home.I'll stop a gap later. Till than any idea?

config:

asus p7p55lx

corei5 750

4Gb ram

Sapphire 5750

I just got a Sapphire 5750 and I'm having the same problem with the garbled screen once I boot into OSX. Follwed netkas' instructions and used the modified ATI5000 kext with the card ID, and also modified ATY_Init.kext to Vervet. No Kernel Panics or anything when I check in verbose, but once it hits the desktop its in 1024x768 with a garbled screen. I can see the mouse pointer vaguely like you can. I'm on 10.6.4 with a pretty vanilla install on an XBX2 (using Ultimate Snow Leopard, actually). No additional kexts besides what USL has (if any?) Also, booting with -x for Safe Mode works fine.

There's a few more things I'm going to try before I get stuck. I'll let you know if anything works.

I just got a Sapphire 5750 and I'm having the same problem with the garbled screen once I boot into OSX. Follwed netkas' instructions and used the modified ATI5000 kext with the card ID, and also modified ATY_Init.kext to Vervet. No Kernel Panics or anything when I check in verbose, but once it hits the desktop its in 1024x768 with a garbled screen. I can see the mouse pointer vaguely like you can. I'm on 10.6.4 with a pretty vanilla install on an XBX2 (using Ultimate Snow Leopard, actually). No additional kexts besides what USL has (if any?) Also, booting with -x for Safe Mode works fine.

There's a few more things I'm going to try before I get stuck. I'll let you know if anything works.

I had the same exact thing happen on my 5750 until someone told me to connect 2 DVI cables. All of a sudden, IT WORKED! At native resolution with QE/CI enabled. Have you tried doing that? At least try having 2 ports connected, either using a VGA cable, HDMI, DP, etc. As long as there are 2 sources.

After doing that for the first time, I did not need to keep the 2 DVI cables plugged in. Now it works normally everytime I boot OS X.

I had the same exact thing happen on my 5750 until someone told me to connect 2 DVI cables. All of a sudden, IT WORKED! At native resolution with QE/CI enabled. Have you tried doing that? At least try having 2 ports connected, either using a VGA cable, HDMI, DP, etc. As long as there are 2 sources.

After doing that for the first time, I did not need to keep the 2 DVI cables plugged in. Now it works normally everytime I boot OS X.

Ya I've tried that unfortunately. Both ports were plugged into monitors and still garbled (and mirrored) screen. I'm going to reinstall everything again but go one-by-one with kexts and see what I can find out.

I really should be posting this over in the 5770 thread, or just make one for the Sapphire 5750...

I put anything 'official' into /S/L/E i.e. that's where I put the graphics drivers. I usually put any custom stuff such as aty_init into my /E/E folder. I'd rather be using an injector for my graphics card so that I can have all custom stuff in /E/E. Keeping /S/L/E/ as vanilla as possible and just custom stuff in /E/E makes reinstalling much easier - you can just have a backup of your /E/E folder and put the same thing onto an installer hard drive.

But in this case one would have to put AtiFramebuffer & AtiSupport kexts in S/L/E because they already exist, and E/E wont overwirte them so you would have 2 versions, right?

Ok...i solved my 5750 problem. All function work, with single card any slots in my mobo. If anyone need help try this:

Install 10.6.4 official update and use a pre-made or custom DSDT to the mobo.

Need to type in/change some in this kext's "info.plists":

ATI5000Controller.kext -> insert the device id (where the id's shown...exp.: 0x68BE1002...this is my card dev id)

ATIRadeonX3000.kext-> insert the device id (where the id's shown...exp.: 0x68BE1002)

ATY_init.kext->find "<key>ATI Radeon 5700 Series</key>". Here's start the field to 5700 series cards with bunch of code. Only (!!!) in this field change all "Uakari" text to "Vervet".

Save all kexts.

If U'll done use "Kext Helper" and install all kext (ATI5000, ATiRadeonX3000, ATIRadeonX3000/GA/GL/VA, ATISupport, ATIFramebuffer, ATY_init). After the installation use "kext utility" to repair the kext permissions (<-optional...must working without this). If the system freeze no problem. Just restart your comp. and go on.

Restart the comp. (remember: if the comp freezed before: no problem) and at the bootloader type: "arch=i386 -v" (without commas)

Tada...all fine and working (OpenGl of course too). But...

Use Mac Pilot to add the "arch=i386" command that don't need to type this command every restart.

Sry for my english! I hope everything understandable. :P

P7p55LX

4Gb ram

Core i5 750

Sapphire HD5750

OS ver.: iAntares v2 10.6.3 (with 10.6.4 update)

MSI twin frozr HD 5850 still not working correctly

main monitor DVI>hdmi>card

secondairy VGA>DVI>card

installed all kexts via kexthelper b7

repaired permissions

removed NVenabler64

booted via GraphicsEnabler=No arch=i386

tried -v -x -f

tried one monitor, tried other

results:

-secondary monitor loads correctly alone, correct resolution

-main monitor will not load alone

-secondary monitor and main monitor will load together with secondairy working and main blank

-secondary monitor and main monitor will load together with secondary blank and main working but in wrong resolution (the secondaries resolution, systen also thinks the monitor in use is the secondary when its not)

-no monitors work past loading screen

all results were acheived through different methods of startup options and cable manipulation, but never did the main monitor work correctly with correct resolution.

any advice?

bump ideas?

You'll need to install the 5870 drivers in /System/Library/Extensions (same applies to your install CD - it's much easier to use an external hard drive). You'll also need the 5870 ATY_init in your Extras and you'll need to disable graphics enabler.

To be honest, since it sounds like you're new to hackintoshes, I'd suggest you get a cheap graphics card that you know is compatible with vanilla Snow Leopard and use that to install. It'd probably be a lot easier. Then get the 5870 working later.

Thx 4 your idea. I totally forgot, that i needed the kexts on the boot cd XD. My system is running excellent with the method from cartri's blog including the netkas ati kexts.

Greetings icepuma

I had my NV 470 working but not all vids would play and was slower than my 4890 in games. So trying to put in the ATI 5870 kext did nothing but have my 5870 start up full fan and lock up the computer. So I reinstalled OSX. Put all the files that Netkas (BIG THANK YOU SIR! ) in system/library/ext.. rebooted .. gave me a ati2000 error. So booted arch=i386 graphicesenabler=no -v and all worked but was in safe mode. So deleted the ati2000 kext.. no clue what I was doing lol. Rebooted this time just -v graphicesenabler=no and BAM! All working find. Games, videos.. I am still in 10.6.3.. not sure if I need to do 10.6.4.. but I will to test for speed. Now thats all I did.

I got the XFX 5870 working with an existing (well, fresh but existing) install of 10.6.4 just following the instructions here: http://netkas.org/?p=465

However, OS X appears to be trying to burn my card to death. The fan does not seem to ever spin above a certain, low speed. Blowing an external fan through the case keeps it from overheating, but that kind of sucks as a solution. Does anyone else have this issue?

But in this case one would have to put AtiFramebuffer & AtiSupport kexts in S/L/E because they already exist, and E/E wont overwirte them so you would have 2 versions, right?

Well in this case I'd put the ATIFramebuffer and ATISupport kexts into S/L/E anyway because they're Apple kexts and will probably be in 10.6.5 anyway.

Thx 4 your idea. I totally forgot, that i needed the kexts on the boot cd XD. My system is running excellent with the method from cartri's blog including the netkas ati kexts.

Greetings icepuma

Great! I'm glad you got things working so quickly and easily!!

Over the past few days, I've been trying to install Mac OSX on this system:

• Core i7 860
  • MSI P55-GD65 motherboard
  • 8 GB ram (1600 mhz)
  • Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
  • 1 TB samsung hdd
  • 80 Intel SSD
  • Old IDE dvd burner

Everything in the bios is set to AHCI.

I have only 1 screen, on Displayport. I've removed 4 GB of the ram. Only the ssd is connected when trying to boot to the osx installer. I have no usb peripherals except for a usb mouse & keyboard, and the usb hdd.

I also have a working Mac OSX in a vmware virtual machine, some small usb sticks and one 500 GB usb hdd.

At first, I tried to install the Hazard 10.6.2, which didn't work because of the IDE drive. Then, I tried using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from a dvd and the original Snow Leopard files from the usb hdd. But everytime it was finished loading the drivers, the screen would turn black with the gfx fan spinning at max. I tried using arguments like -x, -v, -f, -s, -x32, arch=i386, busratio=20, busratio=12, graphicsenabler=no in different orders, but the problem remained the same. Then, I put the 5000 series drivers in /System/Library/Extensions and /Extras/Extensions. It loaded the kexts, but it still didn't work. (I also removed the driver caches)

I am unable to get any new hardware, so is there any way I can at least get into the installer on this system, no matter how complicated it is?

I got the XFX 5870 working with an existing (well, fresh but existing) install of 10.6.4 just following the instructions here: http://netkas.org/?p=465

However, OS X appears to be trying to burn my card to death. The fan does not seem to ever spin above a certain, low speed. Blowing an external fan through the case keeps it from overheating, but that kind of sucks as a solution. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hmm no I dont. Mine is a saph 5870. And I tested it last night. As it got hotter the fan got louder. No expert here at all.. I do know in 10.6.3 everything worked super but the fan was 100% 10.6.4 fixed that.. how no clue. So you can take the cover off puts some fans on top .. or unhook the cards fan and plug it in to some kind of speed switch. But my install was a fresh... I had to. My existing would not work at all..

I restored the install dvd to the usb hdd in the virtual machine. Then, I downloaded the 10.6.4 combo update and replaced mach_kernel from the 'install dvd' (the usb hdd) with the one from de 10.6.4 pkg. Then, I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 to the install hdd, and replaced Boot with PC-EFI 10.5. I installed fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, AHCIPortInjector, JMicronATA.kext and the netkas 5000-series drivers to the /Extra/Extensions folder install hdd, but I deleted ATIRadeonX3000.kext because it gave me a kernel panic in the installer.

I also put Installer.app, InstallerHelper.app, the Chameleon RC3 pkg and the 10.6.4 update pkg in the root directory.

After that, I could just boot from the usb hdd, select OSX (its name) as the boot volume, and the installer started without me having to use any arguments at all. (It was at 1024x768 reso though, so it didn't use the new drivers yet) OSX installed perfectly.

After it was done installing, I booted from the install hdd again. I used the terminal to reclace mach_kernel in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/ with the one in / on the install hdd. Then I opened /Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer and installed Chameleon to Macintosh HD. I replaced Boot with the one from the install hdd, and copied the Extra folder to Macintosh HD (all with the terminal, from within the Mac OSX installer). After that, I could boot from the HDD in the computer without any arguments. Everything worked fine (except for sound, network, shutdown, sleep, etc. But at least it did boot).

When the system was up and running, I installed the 10.6.4 update, removed all netkas kexts from /E/E, and used Kext Helper b7 to install them to /S/L/E. I also installed RealtekR1000SL.kext for lan to work.

By the way, DO NOT INSTALL [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. On my configuration, it broke the OSX install; it wouldn't start anymore.

After installing those drivers, i restarted using the arch=i386 flag, and the 5870 worked perfectly, even with hardware acceleration, quartz, etc.

The only things that don't work yet are: sound (I have the ALC889, not the a version), sleep and 64 bit mode.

Keep in mind that it took me 3 full days and many remakes of the install dvd to make this work, so if you try this and do exactly what I just wrote, don't expect it to work directly.

Heyyo,

By the way, DO NOT INSTALL [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. On my configuration, it broke the OSX install; it wouldn't start anymore.

Well [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] doesn't break your install so you could use it for kexts and such, it's just the Chameleon bootloader it uses is out of date. I couldn't get it to boot in until I used a newer version than the one in there.