Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

i can tell for your setup that you must have some bucks to spare

buy a new hard drive, for doing all the tests, and once you find the right steps, you can recreate them on your main install

what distro are you using? did you update to 10.6.4 ? how are you installing the kexts? wich ones and in what order?

see your 5870s boxes to find out if it's a reference. Should be like this one, with no other writings

xfx5870.jpg

a toxic may have a different device ID, you should check that

Hi, thanks for the help. Unfortunately that was not the case, as the device ID was already there. And it appears that it was booting finely only because the X3000 kernels had incorrect permissions, now that I fixed them it hangs on a kernel panic. :D

What to check next?

Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble with my 5870 and I hope you can help.

It's a reference 5870, looks like that pic.

I installed ATY_Init and the kexts from netkas' site.

I boot up OK into 10.6.4, but I only get 1024x768 and no QE/CI/3D.

System Profiler says 256MB VRAM and no kext loaded.

I take it this means my device ID isn't in ATY_Init? How do I put it in myself?

Cheers!

i can tell for your setup that you must have some bucks to spare

buy a new hard drive, for doing all the tests, and once you find the right steps, you can recreate them on your main install

what distro are you using? did you update to 10.6.4 ? how are you installing the kexts? wich ones and in what order?

see your 5870s boxes to find out if it's a reference. Should be like this one, with no other writings

xfx5870.jpg

Not sure what happened to my previous reply.. i think i must have screwed it up... Yes, my card looks exactly like this card, except it has RED dvi inputs, and I think a red board, not black. But the rest is identical. I do not have the box to tell if it is a reference or not. I think they were about 8, or 900 for both cards at Frys.. Is there another way for me to be able to tell? Does anyone have two 5870's working yet???

Hi, i get this in sys profile but no QE/CI everything else is fine

any suggestions on getting QE/CI to work?

running SL 10.6.4

thanks

ATI Radeon HD 5830:

Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon HD 5830
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	Slot-1
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x689e
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 ROM Revision:	113-B7710C-176
 EFI Driver Version:	01.00.318
 Displays:
  Acer X233H:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
  X223W:
 Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

New Mac Pro are arrived and graphic cards are: 5770 or 5870 :mellow: , i hope it will be easier to get them working flawlessly.

I would like to purchase a 5870, some of you got a successful installation with one of this two models please?

Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD

Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1Go Vapor-X

Thanks.

New Mac Pro are arrived and graphic cards are: 5770 or 5870 :) , i hope it will be easier to get them working flawlessly.

I would like to purchase a 5870, some of you got a successful installation with one of this two models please?

Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD

Thanks.

yeah im really looking forward to getting my 5870 fully functional now!  :)

New Mac Pro are arrived and graphic cards are: 5770 or 5870 B) , i hope it will be easier to get them working flawlessly.

Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD

Thanks.

Yes, please I'm also looking for a model that will work fine :)

So I got my mini display port adapter to DVI for the cinema display (It ONLY has the mini display adapter in ((Male)) )

So the next thing I really need to do is get the dual 5870's to work! ANy one out there able to help?? I don't know / understand how to get them to work. I have the 4870 working, but when I tried the netkas routine, I don't get how to load the files, install the kexts etc..

does anyone have dual 5870s running on a 10.6.4 sl hackintosh?

thanks!

So I got my mini display port adapter to DVI for the cinema display (It ONLY has the mini display adapter in ((Male)) )

So the next thing I really need to do is get the dual 5870's to work! ANy one out there able to help?? I don't know / understand how to get them to work. I have the 4870 working, but when I tried the netkas routine, I don't get how to load the files, install the kexts etc..

does anyone have dual 5870s running on a 10.6.4 sl hackintosh?

thanks!

Dual ATI cards don't really work in hackintoshes I'm afraid. I tried for months with two 4870s. The second card isn't detected properly and it's fans just spin loudly. A reboot can get them to quieten up but it still won't work in OSX. People have managed to get two different model cards working by using different framebuffers I think but not two of the same model.

Your best bet might be to sell your 5870s and buy a 5970 instead. That way you get the power you want in Windows and you don't have an annoying fan blaring away in OSX.

HD5870 not working...

I got excited when I saw the news on Netkas site about support for the HD5870. I have had one sitting in a box for months now without being able to use it.

I changed graphics enabler to = No

I am on 10.6.4

I installed the kexts from netkas site

My machine boots and the card is recognized in system profiler

gif.gif osx_0003.jpg ( 233.4K )

gif.gif osx_0004.jpg ( 188.77K )

gif.gif osx_0007.jpg ( 211.14K )

gif.gif osx_0008.jpg ( 183.83K )

My problem is resolution. I am currently at 1600x1200 by inputting that in my boot.plist

I have included some photos of the screen- I cant take screenshotsgrey_loader.gif.

It says " card was not posted - already has keys set " I dont know what that means...

What is the best upgrade path for HD5870 ?

Any advice or success stories? Would love to hear them, Thanks in advance.

I was able to get my Sapphire HD5870 working. It's a reference model FWIW.

1. Remove my previous GTX285+GTS250 DSDT entries

2. Add the following to my com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

3. Using Kext Utility b7 install all of the kexts off netkas.org

4. Reboot with "GraphicsEnabler=No -v", and pray!

EDIT: Now to see how well SC2 works on this baby!

the new Mac Pros are suposed to come with an optional dual HD5770, so I think we'll have some good news on dual ATI support when they come out

Well.. if I could get the one 5870 working for now, then I could just wait and add the other one when the drivers are ready. is it still possible for someone to post how to install those netkas "kexts" and maybe a step by step guide for a novice? I am sort of a noob and I can't afford to loose this system I am on. I have the 4870 in this machine currently that I would like to just put the one 5870 in, so that I can get to editing. I will just use the one card for now, and build a win 7 box with the existing 4870 that is in this machine now.

Zoob, how well does SC2 run? That and TF2 is the only reason why I would keep a Win7 installation.

It's quite competent @ 2560x1600 on High settings. Ultra felt slightly choppy even though it runs smooth in Win7. One thing to note is I only played the Beta on Win7 and not retail.

BTW my HD5870 is watercooled so I don't have to worry about the stock fan not ramping.