PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Updated to 10.6.3 this weekend, but got a KP, b/c of SleepEnabler. Then I realized I couldn't restore from TimeMachine because of the funky networking kexts. Finally had to insert them into my USB boot drive and got everything back to normal. Here's a step-by-step for anyone that needs to do the same to get networking on from the bootdisk: http://shanecurd.com/wordpress/?p=63

I'm going to try the updated SleepEnabler this weekend with the update. I'll post results.

UPDATE: Removing SleepEnabler.kext and installing the 10.6.2->10.6.3 update worked flawlessly. I had to reinstall Chameleon though because restoring from TimeMachine erased the boot files. I'm also getting a MacFUSE error now, not being able to mount NTFS 3G disks, but not worried about it. And I left SleepEnabler out of the setup entirely for now.

First, thank you for your time and work.

Second, sorry for my english.

Snow leopard is working, i cant boot from hard disk, but cd mars its ok.

Network is working too.

Dont know how to see my video card or cpu, but is going well so far.

Thank you !!

rig:

Asus p5q-e

intel e8400

xfx gtx275

4 gig ram

500gb samsung hd sata

dvd ram sata

post-193444-1271197148_thumb.jpg

I cant hear any sound, device is not detected by Snow Leopard.

What kext do i have to install ???

Thank you.

Asus p5q-e

intel e8400

xfx gtx275

4 gig ram

500gb samsung hd sata

dvd ram sata

Should be VoodooHDA.kext for the SoundMAX onboard audio. Make sure AppleHDA.kext is removed also. And make sure the audio chipset is enabled in your BIOS.

UPDATED ON APRIL 21, 2010 @ 10:15PM PST

Everyone,

Yes yes, I know, you are still wondering where the new stuffs are at...

I need some help -- I need to fix marsbooter.sh, and to do that I need some help with regards to bash/shell scripting -- anyone out got these mad skills?

Eventually, I'll be working on an install package that will do most of everything -- that's going to take me a while though. For the impatient, you can always look at Kakewalk, but I must warn you it's made for specific motherboards.

As for the Dual Boot Guides -- Yes, they are coming... yeah yeah, I know you've heard that from me -- but, like I said earlier, have had to deal with a loss in the family, and I got a new job, back to being an information systems engineer building Windoze images and heavy scripting without SMS or SCCM as a delivery mechanism... yay! (not)

So, what am I asking the community or the members who check back on this post? I'm asking for your input, what do YOU want to see in the guides? What can I do to make it better? Does anyone want to translate the PDFs into another language? etc etc...

Hit me up!

Peace,

IanT

Hey IanT,

thanks for coming back to work on this again ;)

I do know little bash/shell scripting, so I don't think I might be able to help you, sorry.

For myself what I'd like to see in the guides is especially how to setup Chameleon for a dual boot setup as I found out to get all the other things working. Also I'm interested in a quick note on updating the system for 10.6.x updates released, still using 10.6.2 as I don't want to loose my setup :(

Love,

floordance.

• 3 weeks later...
Successfully installed on my P5Q Deluxe. I have try all boot disk, and only this one allow me to complete my installation without any error. I didnt run the MACOSBOOT script, I have to look for other drivers for network and sound. And still booting using the bootdisk.

My main system spec:

P5Q deluxe, Q9550, 8800GT 512MB

After I created an image for the driver, I will try to install Chameleon RC4 tonight manually.

And, thanks IanT for the great guide.

I have the same mobo and cpu all I have different is my video card. Whenever I boot from mars or jupiter it dies giving me divide error when I put the snow leopard dvd in and push enter.. to be exatct:

panic(cpu 0 caller ....) kernel trap at .... type 0=divide error

/....

System uptime in nanoseconds: 0

any ideas? I have 4 gb of ram btw.. and using juzzi's 2001 rom modded bios and all the settings are right I am sure...

• 2 weeks later...

My P5Q Pro with my modded bios and retail 10.60 install with the 132Jupiter-011010-WOS boot disc with all updates to 10.63 64 is working perfect (no need for sleep so i never tested that) I finally got tired of booting off the 132Jupiter-011010-WOS disc so i used myhack installer and after it was installed, i mounted the preboot.dmg from the boot disc and copied com.apple.boot.plist and the contents from the extentions folder to my extra's folder. now boots without the boot disc!! this works on my dual boot (seperate hard drives) and my single drive with win 7 and snow osx works after installing easyBCD.

no need for easybcd, i just configured the Chameleon boot menu to launch win 7. on my install i used disk utility to set up a gpt partition for msdos and extended journal, exited the osx install and booted into the win 7 install, formated the drive to ntsf and installed win 7. then booted with the 132Jupiter-011010-WOS boot disk and installed retail 10.6 from my usb thumb drive, installed myhack installer with a few tweaks to the com.apple.boot.plist. then and copied the contents from the extentions folder to my extra's folder from IanT's 132Jupiter-011010-WOS boot disc. easy dual boot from a single drive

hey im wondering if this works on asus p6t deluxe v2, and im just looking for a download link to create 123-boot disc. Im 15 and i have issues...so all those colorfull words at the top hurt my eyes when i look at it. so can you pm me a link?

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like its dead now. :(

You might want to try my simple dualbooting instructions from here though.

---

In the meanwhile I did update for 10.6.4 (from 10.6.2) and there is nearly nothing to do than hit the update button and later on reinstall the newest kexts using KextHelper b7. You cand find the links for my used kexts in the original 10.6.2 install post.

Please note that you should have NullCPUManagement.kext installed (or anything similar) before update. You also need, as for any update, remove SleepEnabler.kext first - if used - from your /System/Library/Extensions (or /Library/Extensions) directory and install a new version after the update.

This time I also installed a new FakeSMC mod (download for SnowLeo and used the FakeSMC.kext) to enable some fan controls, you might want to keep netkas' original v2.5 though.

Good luck and always consider doing a backup first!

---

A few minutes ago I sucessfully updated from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 using Software Update (you might want to use the combo installer instead) without any problems. Make sure you installed the current versions of all your .kext installed using KextHelper b7. Please check the links given in my original post. Also make sure to remove SleepEnabler.kext before update and reinstall the current version AFTER the update, this goes for any new Mac OS X update.

---

Again the updates from 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 and from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 worked like a charm using the combo or single installers from the Apple website. Please keep to the instructions from above.

Nope, not dead --

Suffered another loss in the family --

This is life -- C'est la vie...

I'm pretty sure peeps are still look for the guides...

I know, I've said this before, I'm aiming for a guide before July 4th, 2010.

IanT

Seems like its dead now. :(

You might want to try my simple dualbooting instructions from here though.

---

In the meanwhile I did update for 10.6.4 (from 10.6.2) and there is nearly nothing to do than hit the update button and later on reinstall the newest kexts using KextHelper b7. You cand find the links for my used kexts in the original 10.6.2 install post.

Please note that you should have NullCPUManagement.kext installed (or anything similar) before update. You also need, as for any update, remove SleepEnabler.kext first - if used - from your /System/Library/Extensions (or /Library/Extensions) directory and install a new version after the update.

This time I also installed a new FakeSMC mod (download for SnowLeo and used the FakeSMC.kext) to enable some fan controls, you might want to keep netkas' original v2.5 though.

Good luck and always consider doing a backup first!

Hi. I am having some trouble to install SL on a P5Q-E

I used:

Guide: [ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 11152009-2.pdf]

Boot CD: [132Mars-011010-WOS.iso]

Bootloader and Support folder: [132MARS-20091008.iso]

BIOS: [2102-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM]

Then I upgraded to 10.6.2 and then to 10.6.4.

Everything seemed to work OK, so I installed all the software I needed. Then I started getting the IOAPIC error, which I thought I had got rid of.

[IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87]

I read somewhere that I could fix it using cpus=1 or 2, it worked once but doesn't anymore. It's a weird problem, you solve it and then it appears again, and sometimes you solve it with one indication and sometimes with another.

The one that seems to work is booting the retail DVD, (after it boots, then you just restart and everything is working fine).

I would really appreciate any help, as I borrowed DVDs to install all the software and I already gave them back, so a complete reinstall would need a lot of work.

I searched the forums but cannot find an specific answer which works.

I think I didn't have this problem when I was in 10.6.2. Any way to go back to it?

Thank you,

Rodrigo

P5Q-E, 4GB DDR2, 8600GT 1GB, 2x 500GB HDD.

Did you set the power settings as listed in the PDF?

Did you also ensure that your SATA Configuration is set to AHCI and not Compatible or Legacy?

IanT

Hi. I am having some trouble to install SL on a P5Q-E

I used:

Guide: [ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 11152009-2.pdf]

Boot CD: [132Mars-011010-WOS.iso]

Bootloader and Support folder: [132MARS-20091008.iso]

BIOS: [2102-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM]

Then I upgraded to 10.6.2 and then to 10.6.4.

Everything seemed to work OK, so I installed all the software I needed. Then I started getting the IOAPIC error, which I thought I had got rid of.

[IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87]

I read somewhere that I could fix it using cpus=1 or 2, it worked once but doesn't anymore. It's a weird problem, you solve it and then it appears again, and sometimes you solve it with one indication and sometimes with another.

The one that seems to work is booting the retail DVD, (after it boots, then you just restart and everything is working fine).

I would really appreciate any help, as I borrowed DVDs to install all the software and I already gave them back, so a complete reinstall would need a lot of work.

I searched the forums but cannot find an specific answer which works.

I think I didn't have this problem when I was in 10.6.2. Any way to go back to it?

Thank you,

Rodrigo

P5Q-E, 4GB DDR2, 8600GT 1GB, 2x 500GB HDD.

Did you set the power settings as listed in the PDF?

Did you also ensure that your SATA Configuration is set to AHCI and not Compatible or Legacy?

Yes I did. Every BIOS setting is set as said in the PDF (Appendix A).

Any idea?

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Ian T, thanks so much for this guide. :D

I am successfully running 10.6.4 on my P5Q-PRO using Juzzi's 2102 bios, from following your guide to the letter.

For anyone interested, my system specification is P5Q-PRO, Q6600, Zotac GTX 260, 4GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator DDR2, and a now redundant Bluray drive. It runs like a dream from my Corsair M225 64GB SSD. It all worked immediately after installing the marsbooter script. After almost zero luck in the past installing OS X, this guide has been a real breakthrough.

I just need to find a wireless card that works now. I'm thinking of getting one of the mini pci-e to pcie cards, and then getting an official or oem airport card. Any thoughts?

Ian T, Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone,

Apologies again for being MIA.

Been working on getting a vanilla install of SL 10.6.3 on an HP Pavilion dv1000. I have finally suceeded.

I'm slowly, but surely returning to the community. I've also got SL 10.6.0 running on a Zotac ION-ITX. But, for whatever reason it won't boot without the 132Jupiter boot disc. I may need to use AsereBin's booter instead.

More news to come, stay tuned.

Yako,

That's funny you were able to find my comment about an HP Pavilion dv1000... :)

I am using my 132Jupiter boot disc to boot the machine AND (VERY IMPORTANT) connect an external LCD monitor to the dv1000

When you swap the discs, and press F5, press tab - then type the following arguments:

-v GraphicsEnabler=No -arch=i386 {Press Enter}

As soon as you see PAE at the top of the screen, press Fn+F4 at least three times, so that the display ONLY outputs onto the external LCD monitor

Install SL, it will say the install failed, don't panic, it did actually install, it just couldn't bless the volume.

Now, drop in the 132Jupter disc again, and then boot from it using the same arguments from above, do the Fn+F4 trick when you see PAE at the top, you'll boot into OSX from the hard drive, and then install Natit.kext (google it with 0x2a728086) into /System/Library/Extensions, and then in terminal sudo -s kextload /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext, now you'll be able to use the laptop's LCD screen

After that, you'll have to create a DSDT file for the laptop, and then configure basic settings like installing Chameleon RC4, and all kexts as loaded from 132Jupiter.

It is also important that you find a 32-bit VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext (or VoodooPS2Controller.kext)...

You do NOT need to mess with the 950GMA kexts to get QE/CI working (it already works)

Sorry the notes are a jumbled mess -- I'm writing it from memory, and haven't even started working on a doc. FYI, the intel 3945ABG PCIe WIFI card does not work in SL. It's easier if you get a USB Wifi adapter based on a Realtek chip....

Helpful, not helpful?

IanT

I've been looking for a Pavilion dv1000 install... please elaborate. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just completed my retail SL 10.6.3 install on Asus P5Q-E with Q9550 and NVIDIA 9600 512Mb. Everything is working now but I can't boot from the drive (I'm still booting MyHack 1.1 from an external drive)! I've installed Chameleon (RC2 and RC5) to the Snow Leopard drive and installed all of the kexts recommended by coderazzi.net (link below) and tried various boot file at the root of the drive, but when I select that drive to boot from I get the boot0: error.

I've followed these guides and have had no problems up until this point. Everything has been smooth sailing!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213336

http://coderazzi.net/osx/p5q-e/snowleopard/index.htm

Please help! :(

• 1 month later...