406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Quick Update

I couldnt get it working with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I tried using Kakewalk, but it said that my smbios was missing as well. I googled and found out I needed to turn off my quickboot. Installed lion no sweat. I didnt even need to update my apple HDA. Everything so far seems to be working no problem! I didnt even need to do a clean install. Now just to try and get used to this new lion scrolling......

Thanks for the guide. I am also on the lifehacker build but when I try this method I can't boot the installer. It keeps saying it can't find the smbios. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks, I appreciate it.

upon further review sleep is having issues....

Quick Update

I couldnt get it working with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I tried using Kakewalk, but it said that my smbios was missing as well. I googled and found out I needed to turn off my quickboot. Installed lion no sweat. I didnt even need to update my apple HDA. Everything so far seems to be working no problem! I didnt even need to do a clean install. Now just to try and get used to this new lion scrolling......

10.7.1 up and running.

With Lion 10.7, I was using the AppleHDA.kext (v2.0.5f14) from 10.6.8 v1.1 as this started audio without a short delay (When using the patch method for ALC885/889a posted by VCH888) unlike the AppleHDA.kext files from the first 10.6.8 (kext v2.0.5f13) update and Lion 10.7 (kext v2.1.1f11).

I am now using the 10.7.1 AppleHDA.kext (v2.1.1f12) patched with the same method and all is working great again with no delay on audio startup.

@gopowergoh what sleep problems are you having?

EDIT: Lion won't sleep now it seems after the update, just the monitor goes off. I am trying to figure this out, does anyone have any ideas?

Did a reinstall and all is good again, not really sure what happened there!

I've partitioned my flash drive with chameleon and Lion and I'm able to boot from it, but when I try to boot the Lion install partition I get a kernel panic that says :

Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\"

Any ideas? Could I have a BIOS setting wrong? I'm still able to boot into 10.6.8 so I guess I'll stick with that till I can get this figured out.

I've partitioned my flash drive with chameleon and Lion and I'm able to boot from it, but when I try to boot the Lion install partition I get a kernel panic that says :

Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\"

Any ideas? Could I have a BIOS setting wrong? I'm still able to boot into 10.6.8 so I guess I'll stick with that till I can get this figured out.

What version of Chameleon are you using? I know that some of the older versions don't work with Lion.

I pretty much always use the latest build, who's / what method did you use to create the install stick?

I'm trying to create the install stick with the blackosx instructions that you posted in your guide and the files you posted in your guide, however I downloaded a package installer for Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r828 that I use to install it.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong when I manually try to install Chameleon using the terminal but it never works correctly. When I choose to boot from my usb drive, it instead always boots from my primary hard drive. If I choose the Lion installer from the primary hard drive chameleon bootloader, it just restarts my computer.

If I install using a package, I am at least able to get to boot from the usb drive. It just gives me a kernel panic and : Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\" when I choose the Lion installer.

I've restarted this machine so many times trying different boot files and different versions of chameleon and I've wiped the usb drive over and over and tried reinstalling chameleon but always with the same results: either a kernel panic or failure to boot from the usb drive.

It's odd you can't boot from your USB stick. When you press F12 on boot does it show up ok in the Hard Disk list?

It does. I choose it and then it boots up off my main disk instead. The themes for chameleon are different for my main disk and my usb stick so I can tell its not booting the usb stick.

It does. I choose it and then it boots up off my main disk instead. The themes for chameleon are different for my main disk and my usb stick so I can tell its not booting the usb stick.

Is it possible that the boot0 and boot1h files were not installed correctly?

Thanks for all the help guys. I went through the steps again and realized I had made a mistake when I was making the USB stick. I wasn't restoring the Lion Installation partition correctly. I got it to boot from the stick and the install screen is up. I think I'll give it a go later though, its been a lot of work on the computer this weekend and I need to get outside and do some grilling before summer's over!

10.7.1 up

@gopowergoh what sleep problems are you having?

My sleep is kind of okay now. I have to wake up using a USB mouse. I was pressing the power button in 10.6.8. I'm going to try a different Bluetooth adapter too. I'm using a magic mouse and wireless keyboard. It's not that big a deal to press a USB mouse to wake

I also have lion running on an i3 toshiba c655 s5212 laptop and almost given up on sleep for that.

So 10.7.1 shouldn't be much of a problem for our setup? I'm hoping all I have to fix is audio.

*** Please BUY Lion, it is more than worth the £20.99 (UK) price tag. ***

Bare in mind this is a "Work in progress" guide and I will try and help with parts of it I undoubtably miss out or make unclear!

To use this method you will need an 8GB USB stick.

I don't have any additional network cards installed so I don't know if this will work for those that have.

The rest of my hardware is in my signature below and I also use an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Trackpad along with a LMP Bluetooth Keypad which all great both before and after sleep of any kind.

I have also incorporated Apple Bluetooth and Infra Red modules for true compatibility.

To create a memory stick for installation of Lion I followed the excellent guide by blackosx, I strongly recommend you download and read the pdf's he created a couple of times to familiarise yourself with the processes involved (Obviously for the EP45-UD3P you don't use all of the files blackosx has included, I will attach those here).

For the creation of the Lion Installation partition I followed MaLd0n's great work up until the point where he says to "Run the Installers" as for our hardware all that is needed is to copy the mach_kernel file to the root of the partition.

*** DSDT.aml ***

I strongly recommend you use the tool by MaLd0n and generate a DSDT.aml unique to your machine that will be used on the USB installation stick and the 1GB Chameleon boot partition (My file is included but may not work at all or give full functionality).

1: I am using the F11d BIOS (rev1.0 / 1.1) which as fas as I know was the last produced for this board, the rev1.6 board uses a different BIOS but as long as it is configured correctly I can't see why it wouldn't work.

It is important to have AHCI and HPET enabled (Set to 64-bit mode).

I use one onboard Ethernet controller, USB and Firewire. Everything else is disabled.

If anyone needs some pictures of the BIOS screens I can attach them later.

2: You need to correctly format your memory stick, it needs to have a 1GB partition for Chameleon and the rest formatted for the Lion installer, I also have the main installation HD formatted in the same way as it makes upgrading and testing new kexts extremely easy.

If you are unsure how to correctly do this, follow "Part 1 - Preparation" of the blackosx guide.

3: Once the USB stick is prepared "Part 2 - Install Snow Leopard - Section 3" tells you how to correctly copy Chameleon to your 1GB partition (It's the same method for the HD too once Lion is installed).

4: It is now time to create the Lion installation partition using MaLd0n's guide. Start at the "Procedure" section and finish where it says "Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously".

Once you have followed those steps, all that is needed for this method is to copy the file "mach_kernel" to the root of the Lion partition.

5: When (If it all went to plan!) Chameleon boots, choose the USB stick in the menu, boot into the Lion Installer. After you choose the language, open Disk Utility from the Menu Bar and prepare the HD in the same was as the USB stick, a 1GB Chameleon partition and the rest for Lion (Unless you want anything more fancy like dual or triple boot!).

6: When the installation completes, boot from the USB stick again (F12 on boot) as the HD is not yet bootable but this time select the Lion partition. Once booted you won't have sound and a file needs patching to prevent the CMOS from re-setting after sleep but this is all pretty straightforward stuff.

7: At this point, use the same method as in step 3 (From blackosx) to make the main HD bootable (Obviously the disk ID and partition will be different to the one you used in step 3).

8: To fix the audio and CMOS reset I used the files and methods from here…

Audio (889a): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 (First post, ALC885/889a).

CMOS reset: Run this command from terminal after making a backup of the file S/L/E/AppleRTC.kext…

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

The attached files are compressed in the folders they need to be copied in to try and make it easier to follow, the files are also already patched so if you don't want to try it yourself just copy them over (After making backups!) and run Kext Utility.

The AppleHDA.kext is taken from 10.6.8 v1.1 as it fixes the audio startup delay that is present in both the original 10.6.8 and Lion.

Have no more clues...

The third pic shows where it ends.

boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

Every method ends with this! I've tried Tseugs method, Mald0n's method and your method (D-A-W).

Since I've never seen this go past that point I don't know what is failing.

Is that after choosing the Lion install from Chameleon?

Did you create two partitions on the USB stick, one for Chameleon and one for the installer (And the same with the main HD as blackosx talks about)?

Yes, that is after choosing the Lion Installer from Chameleon booted on my USB Flash stick.

I've tried it many ways, one with Chameleon on a USB stick in the same partition as the Lion installer, another way with a 1GB partition for Chameleon and the 7GB partition for the installer, also, on a separate HD with the same scenarios as above. I've used several USB flash sticks and in every USB port on the motherboard.

I'm truly at a loss.

What should be the next step in the installer boot up after mine stops?

The error you get isn't uncommon according to Google, but the strange thing it we have similar hardware and I have never seen it.

It might be worth trying removing your optical drive and network card as other than the revision of the motherboard and GPU there is no difference.

I have some stuff I need to do but will have another search when I can over the weekend...

The error you get isn't uncommon according to Google, but the strange thing it we have similar hardware and I have never seen it.

It might be worth trying removing your optical drive and network card as other than the revision of the motherboard and GPU there is no difference.

I have some stuff I need to do but will have another search when I can over the weekend...

Wow! Thanks D-A-W.

Is was the Trendnet TEG-PCITXR PCI Gigabit Network Adapter. After I removed it and turned on one Ethernet port in the BIOS, the installer boot continued and allowed me to install Lion completely.

I've patched my AppleHDA.kext for sound, applied the patch to the AppleRTC.kext, however, I still have 2 issues.

1. Sleep is entered when you either press the power button and select sleep or, select it from the Apple button on the display, however, it blanks the screen and awakens when you either click the mouse, hit a keyboard button or press the power button on the keyboard, but it never actually puts the motherboard to sleep as it did in all of my versions of Snow Leopard.

And

2. I can't seem to get QE/CI on my EVGA Ge-Force 9800 GTX+ card, no matter what I try.

That's it! Everything else seems to be working fine so far.

Wow! Thanks D-A-W.

Is was the Trendnet TEG-PCITXR PCI Gigabit Network Adapter. After I removed it and turned on one Ethernet port in the BIOS, the installer boot continued and allowed me to install Lion completely.

I've patched my AppleHDA.kext for sound, applied the patch to the AppleRTC.kext, however, I still have 2 issues.

1. Sleep is entered when you either press the power button and select sleep or, select it from the Apple button on the display, however, it blanks the screen and awakens when you either click the mouse, hit a keyboard button or press the power button on the keyboard, but it never actually puts the motherboard to sleep as it did in all of my versions of Snow Leopard.

And

2. I can't seem to get QE/CI on my EVGA Ge-Force 9800 GTX+ card, no matter what I try.

That's it! Everything else seems to be working fine so far.

Well, I fixed it!

Is was my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. It was being completely ignored. Somehow, after trying so many times with failed attempts to get the Lion installer to work, I ended up using Chameleon RC2 R1083 and it still wants to use a com.apple.Boot.plist.

I noticed that all of my changes to org.chameleon.Boot.plist were not effective so I made a copy of it and renamed it to the old com.apple.Boot.plist and suddenly everything worked.

I then had my graphics card being properly recognized as a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and QE/CI working, the DVD app began to load and work and Sleep now worked correctly putting the Gigabite motherboard completely into sleep state and wakening up correctly.

What a chain of events.

Thanks again D-A-W for suggesting that I pull my TrendNet PCI Nic card to allow the Lion Installer to continue and load.

Just glad you got it going!

I modified a few things since 10.7.1, I wanted to get Wake On LAN working and couldn't with the Lnx2Mac ethernet driver. I also moved the kexts to S/L/E and added this to the file you were having fun with...

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Well, I fixed it!

Is was my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. It was being completely ignored. Somehow, after trying so many times with failed attempts to get the Lion installer to work, I ended up using Chameleon RC2 R1083 and it still wants to use a com.apple.Boot.plist.

I noticed that all of my changes to org.chameleon.Boot.plist were not effective so I made a copy of it and renamed it to the old com.apple.Boot.plist and suddenly everything worked.

I then had my graphics card being properly recognized as a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and QE/CI working, the DVD app began to load and work and Sleep now worked correctly putting the Gigabite motherboard completely into sleep state and wakening up correctly.

What a chain of events.

Thanks again D-A-W for suggesting that I pull my TrendNet PCI Nic card to allow the Lion Installer to continue and load.

D-A-W, since my board, the GA-EP45-UD3P, is similar to yours, i wanted to compare the kexts in you final Chameleon Partition /Extra/Extension folder. I ended up with the following:

ACPIMonitor

ALC885_889a

FakeSMC

IntelCPUMonitor

NVClockX

RealtekRTL81xx

SuperIOFamily

While I know the FakeSMC, ALC885_889a and RealtekRTL81xx are definitely needed, what about the others for our Gigabyte series boards? And also, does it change by the version/build of Chameleon you use?

Thanks