GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I also followed this guide, but I have the GA-EP45-DQ6 P45. I found a DSDT file for my board on the net and moved it to the extra folder in the "magic installer" I can run SL....but I get a plugin error in mail. No sound units found, my wireless is not working and my Fire wire soundcard (M-Audio NVR10) is not found.

I copied my old EFI-X 10.5.8 setting back running fine..........Any suggestions?

Would love to make this work with SL

My hardware is this:

Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, SocketL GA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz BOXED w/fan, Antec Nine Hundred kabinett, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 P45 (last bios) D-link N650 wireless

Corsair Dominator TWIN4X4 8500C5DF 8GB (1066mhz), Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA232MB 7200RPM, XFX GeForce 9800GT 650M 512MB, Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S

Ableton Live 8, Pro Tools 8, M-Audio NRV10 FW

everythings is fine i still need the usb stick to boot into the os is there a way to fix this? also why would the lifehacker tut say to turn off your lan's? I figd thisis why there no internet.... but there must be a good reason for it... if anyones knows please let me know so i can do this correctly other than that it works like a charm! Audio*

I went ahead and cut a hole in the fan tray - as soon as I booted I had full reign over resolutions, Quartz snapped to, everything is perfect. Looks a little ugly, but only from the back. ;)

Ome, don't forget to run the EP45UD3P.pkg on your boot volume, this installs the bootloader so you won't need your USB stick.

Ome, don't forget to run the EP45UD3P.pkg on your boot volume, this installs the bootloader so you won't need your USB stick.
ahhhh that makes sense so just run "magic" like i did for the thumb drive on the HD. Awesome

but whats with the sound and Inet probs i would look around but im doing this in class with my phone.

good luck to everyone else

I followed the instructions for the no-hacking version and everything went off without a hitch.... except for the graphics.

The main problem is that Snow wants to boot up at 75 hertz, which only one of my monitors supports(it's 1280x1024). And even then, it gives me all kinds of warnings (on the monitor, not snow). I really wanted to use my 1024x768 monitor, so I tried to change it to the display option with 60 hertz. The screen goes that sky blue and will not do anything without a reset. But what confuses me is that when I boot with the 1280x1024 monitor, get to the desktop, and plug in the 1024x768 (that won't work on boot) monitor, it works. Go figure.

If anyone has an idea to what's going on, any help would be awesome. Btw, I have the EXACT hardware that is in the tutorial. I'm also still booting off the flash drive if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Alex566

well everything but the sound and internet work, and im not 100% sure on how to get them to work i have another nic laying around but is there certain ones that will work out the box or is every option gonna involve tinkering "which i dont mind since im already up this early" any suggestion or comments to point me in the right direction would be amazing

This thread is for us to share our experience with the hardware configuration:

Obviously, the case, the hard disk, and the memory don't have to be the same, but here they are for the sake of posterity:

The lifehacker guide including hardware config can be found here, and simplified even further through the addition of an automated script here.

Kudos to Adam Pash of lifehacker for putting this together, it's quite amazing to be able to do this so cheaply and simply!

If you've spent the money to get this exact configuration, it's probably a good idea to have a single place to discuss any problems that come up in the future. So share your experience here and hopefully this awesome hack pro setup will work flawlessy untill it's time for an upgrade!

As a Slight aside I want to confirm that I did this today with a GA-EP45-DS4

Worked first time

Onboard audio, Onboard LAN, 64bit, GTX260, Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16) Wolfdale, LG Blu ray Internal for dvd access.

Once I created my SL image it took about 1 hr start to finish. Posted in OSx86

Great guide and great work by the guy who made the installer for us.

also seen it works on a EP35-DS3 and EP45-DS3 from other sources.

What's up guys?! New to the forum (posting) but have been reading the forum for quite some time. I too have decided to join the bandwagon and use the Lifehacker Guide/Stella's specs/instructions and this is what I am working with...

For the most part, I stayed with the original hardware configuration - with the exception of a few extra goodies. I figured since my current computer has been reduced to a pile of useless bits-and-pieces, why not?

HP 2159m Black 21.5” 5ms, 3ms(GTG) HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Logitech Black USB Cordless Desktop MX 3200 Laser - Retail

Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers - Retail

COOLER MASTER NV 690 NV-690C-KWN2-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9650 - Retail

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400ELK - Retail (x2)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5” Internal Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active … - Retail

ASUS WL-138g V2 PCI Wireless Adapter - Retail

TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 10/ 100/ 1000/ 2000Mbps PCI Copper Gigabit Network Adapter - Retail

Pioneer CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-218LBK LabelFlash Support - OEM

I decided to grab the ASUS wireless adapter after checking Stella's blog to make sure it was compatible. Unfortunately, NewEgg didn't process my order fast enough so the items are going to ship out Monday(today, technically) and arrive Tuesday(paid for overnight);

I am going to make a lot of videos on YouTube documenting everything, mainly following along Adam's guide - but I thought it would be cool to have video for every step of the way.

If you feel like checking it out, head over to http://www.youtube.com/whatthefubar911 or check out my blog on it at http://whatthefubar.tumblr.com

Can't wait 'till Tuesday!

(P.S. If anyone has any requests on what to show, let me know and I will make sure I record it!) :)

I got my parts in a few days ago and finished assembly today - but I am not getting video ( so I can't do any BIOS setup); Any suggestions on the troubleshooting path I should take? ( I have tried both video ports and I am using the included VGA adapter as I don't have a spare LCD screen )

Sorry if this is insulting to your skill level, but are you sure it's the video/monitor? i.e., do all your fans and hard drives spin up, do you hear a POST beep, if you put an OS install DVD in does it seem to boot from that, etc.? All sorts of stuff could be going wrong that would also not cause you to see anything on the screen...

Newegg doesn't show as being out of stock. (The Link from LH)

BUT above Stella says he recommends a different MSI board anyway.

HE is the one who created this build, so see if you can just use it instead.

Tell us what he says here, because I haven't gotten a response yet.

The only reason I did the EP45-UD3P was because Adam already had one. I'm not promoting that everyone spend their cash on the board, just letting you guys know. That's not to say its a "bad" board, it's just O.K.

This was just for fun anyways. I was actually hoping to turn people off of Gigabyte and onto something else. :)

I wasn't expecting this guide to take off like it did. :P

If you guys really want to buy a better board, get the MSI P45 Platinum if you're willing to do some work. If not, get the Gigabyte.

-Stell

The only reason I did the EP45-UD3P was because Adam already had one. I'm not promoting that everyone spend their cash on the board, just letting you guys know. That's not to say its a "bad" board, it's just O.K.

This was just for fun anyways. I was actually hoping to turn people off of Gigabyte and onto something else. :)

If you guys really want to buy a better board, get the MSI P45 Platinum if you're willing to do some work. If not, get the Gigabyte.

-Stell

It's cool Stell, we appreciate it. :-)

So MSI is your preferred board, but it would take extra tweaking to make the install work.

(From what I gleaned of your post)

This guide would HAVE to take off, not only are there lots of geeky readers on LH,

and Adam's posts awesome, but the world wants a turn-key hackintosh that has skilled

people backing it and informing each other if things go wrong.

I just finished ordering my parts today, and the Patriot mem got so $ that I grabbed

DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 Patriot instead for $5 more.

Thanks Stell, I can't wait to get it done!

Thanks Adam for enlisting Stell and bringing this to us all!

This was just for fun anyways. I was actually hoping to turn people off of Gigabyte and onto something else. ;)

-Stell

Damn, I wish I had known this before I bought the setup from NewEgg; I doubt they will let me return it and exchange it for the P45 Platinum, and honestly, I don't think I'm patient enough to wait, haha.

Parts FINALLY shipped today, scheduled to get here tomorrow - although my case still doesn't have a tracking number, so that's lame. Really stoked to get started though!

I wasn't expecting this guide to take off like it did. :D

-Stell

Hi Stellarola,

I had a question about your mkext file that was included in you magic installer for the Gigabyte UD3P board. I've deleted your nvidia injector from your DSDT file and my computer is running stable with an ATI 4890 card. But I'm still not getting full functionality. I've been trying to decompile your file so that I can add a ATI video card kext but I haven't been able to. Could you give us a list of the kext files you used or perhaps post them as a zipped folder that has not been compiled into a mkext file? Thank you very much for any help.

Justin

I'll try to build you guys another package and maybe a boot cd too, assuming you all have purchased a retail copy of snow. I've just been a bit busy with work and all.

Later,

-Stell

Stell, is there any chance to include the GA P45 DQ6 in this file?

I'll try to build you guys another package and maybe a boot cd too, assuming you all have purchased a retail copy of snow. I've just been a bit busy with work and all.

Later,

-Stell

Stell,

That would be great. Thank you very much.

Justin

Stell, is there any chance to include the GA P45 DQ6 in this file?

No, but I'm glad you brought this up. A lot of people seem to be confused about how this package works. There is a file called a "DSDT" and every bios has this section built in and it's SPECIFIC to that model. So you can't mix and match different boards like other people have been doing. If you use a DSDT file from another board, even if it's a "similar" Gigabyte model, it CAN cause problems.

I saw too many people trying to use this package on so many different boards (model, brand) and the installation failed, or people couldn't get graphic cards working, etc.

So in other words, the DSDT file is for the GA-EP45-UD3P ONLY

-Stell

No, but I'm glad you brought this up. A lot of people seem to be confused about how this package works. There is a file called a "DSDT" and every bios has this section built in and it's SPECIFIC to that model. So you can't mix and match different boards like other people have been doing. If you use a DSDT file from another board, even if it's a "similar" Gigabyte model, it CAN cause problems.

I saw too many people trying to use this package on so many different boards (model, brand) and the installation failed, or people couldn't get graphic cards working, etc.

-Stell

hey im using this stuff and the ethernet card will not work and ive tryed 2 different cards that both are sopouse to work first the exact one from the LH guide and then the intellinet 8169

-Stell

Thanks.

Does that mean I can use the installer if I place a DSDT file fitting my board into the extra folder?(Gigabyte GA P45 DQ6)

Hey guys, I have the exact same parts as the lifehacker guide to a "T"

Here's my problem. I did the no-hack version installation using Stella's package installer, I install SL, reboot and then arrow over to boot to the drive I just installed SL on.

Then the apple appears, and instead of the box booting to the desktop, it goes to a light blue screen and sits there. It has been sitting like this for 30 minutes.

I have already tried reinstalling with the same exact outcome. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

Jeff

Hey guys, I have the exact same parts as the lifehacker guide to a "T"

Here's my problem. I did the no-hack version installation using Stella's package installer, I install SL, reboot and then arrow over to boot to the drive I just installed SL on.

Then the apple appears, and instead of the box booting to the desktop, it goes to a light blue screen and sits there. It has been sitting like this for 30 minutes.

I have already tried reinstalling with the same exact outcome. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

Jeff

OK, wierd, my new monitor just went to sleep (HP 2159M) and then when I moved the mouse, the computer came on and was on the setup screen. WIERD?! Anyways, I am going to finish setup and see if I run into any other issues.

Alright, so I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the monitor I purchased and was wondering if anyone has experienced something similiar....

The model of monitor is the HP2159m, and everytime I restart the computer, or re-install SL, the computer initially boots to a light blue screen. After hitting "factory reset" and then turning the monitor off/on, everything is fine. I know the native resolution is 1920x1080 at 60 hertz I believe, and was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the issue.

From what I can tell, everything else is working amazing, wireless, audio, ethernet w bonjour, full video support - the works, the only damn annoying thing is that I have this monitor issue and was wondering if there is a setting that needs to be changed.

Anyways, thanks Stella and Adam Pash for this kick ass guide! Just got the parts today, still need to do cable management and then I will take some pictures of the finished product! If anyone can help with the weird monitor issue though, I'd be eternally grateful!

Alright, so I have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the monitor I purchased and was wondering if anyone has experienced something similiar....

The model of monitor is the HP2159m, and everytime I restart the computer, or re-install SL, the computer initially boots to a light blue screen. After hitting "factory reset" and then turning the monitor off/on, everything is fine. I know the native resolution is 1920x1080 at 60 hertz I believe, and was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the issue.

From what I can tell, everything else is working amazing, wireless, audio, ethernet w bonjour, full video support - the works, the only damn annoying thing is that I have this monitor issue and was wondering if there is a setting that needs to be changed.

Anyways, thanks Stella and Adam Pash for this kick ass guide! Just got the parts today, still need to do cable management and then I will take some pictures of the finished product! If anyone can help with the weird monitor issue though, I'd be eternally grateful!

Weird monitor issues, you wouldn't happen to be using VGA?