GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I can successful install the snowpard(100% follow this guide), all functions are enabled, except the ethernet controller(i'm using the 'Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT')

When discover this problem, i have try antother method(list below) & could you please comment,

1. using "boot-cd" -> boot the retail DVD, and successful the installtion

2. the graphic, sound not work, but the enternet card "Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT" can be detected and successful browse the website, and update to 10.6.1

3. reboot, install the "snowpard install package". All functions are enabled, but "Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT" ethernet card cannot detect. (i have try to install Apple8169.kext, but not work)

Above status is my situation, any body have a comment, how can i fix it? THX!

Hardware:

CPU: Interl Q9550 over to 3.47ghz

Ram: Corsair DDR21066 2Gx4

MainBorard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

HDD: WD 250ABYS, WD1002FBYS

VGA: Asus nvidia 9500GT-OC

LAN: Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT

ROM: Pioneer SATA 212

I can successful install the snowpard(100% follow this guide), all functions are enabled, except the ethernet controller(i'm using the 'Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT')

When discover this problem, i have try antother method(list below) & could you please comment,

1. using "boot-cd" -> boot the retail DVD, and successful the installtion

2. the graphic, sound not work, but the enternet card "Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT" can be detected and successful browse the website, and update to 10.6.1

3. reboot, install the "snowpard install package". All functions are enabled, but "Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT" ethernet card cannot detect. (i have try to install Apple8169.kext, but not work)

Above status is my situation, any body have a comment, how can i fix it? THX!

Hardware:

CPU: Interl Q9550 over to 3.47ghz

Ram: Corsair DDR21066 2Gx4

MainBorard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

HDD: WD 250ABYS, WD1002FBYS

VGA: Asus nvidia 9500GT-OC

LAN: Buffalo LGY-PCI-GT

ROM: Pioneer SATA 212

Interesting to know that SL will play nicely with 1066 RAM in this board. May re-think

my RAM purchase!

But in concern to the NIC,.. why use a different NIC?

The second revision of the install Stella showed how to make the built-in NICs work.

I mean,.. you already have 2, is it that you want an outboard NIC?

ps, You're running 1066MHz RAM in this build's board? How well is it running? What timing is it?

Who is stella? What version of install makes built in NIC work?

Stellarola is the one that designed the build that Adam posted on LH.

In the second article I believe it is outlined either how-to/or that it now enables the onboard NIC.

Just look earlier in the thread to where someone ELSE asks about outboard NIC and Stella tells them to use onboard.

EDIT:

Even while I'm at work, I spent the time looking through the thread!

Proof Stella says you can use it, but there's no Bon Jour support.

If you can't deal without it then grab the NIC from the tut, put it in the slot someone

specifically mentions earlier in the thread. (Remember,.. it's a BUILD so put it where OS X thinks it is)

ps, someone mentions that they have rev 1.6 of the board and doesn't know why other ppl have problems.

My first UD3P board had a faulty CPU temperature sensor (as documented earlier here) and was exchanged by Amazon. It would go into failsafe shutdown with the CPU temperature indicated at 99C in the BIOS though it was obviously not that warm.

The second board shows rational CPU temperatures (42C mostly) and I get a single startup beep indicating all is well but now I have a new problem.

When I try the install using Stellarola's boot loader (EP45UD3P Snow Leopard) the grey Apple screen comes up, the gear wheel starts and thirty seconds later I get a small 'No entry' sign superimposed on the top of the Apple symbol. Here's what I have tried to no avail:

1 - Down clocked the 2.83gHz Q9550 CPU to 2.0gHz in the BIOS

2 - Removed 4gB of the 8gB Patriot 800mHz RAM - no go whether it's 4 or 8gB - either is correctly recognized by the POST/BIOS

3 - Checked that RAM timing in BIOS is the correct 4/4/4/12 (default)

4 - Changed RAM voltage, from 1.8v (default) to 2.1v (Patriot's recommended) - no joy at either setting

5 - Tried booting from an 8gB SDHC drive and from a 160gB Hitachi self-powered USB hdd

6 - Checked and rechecked all the other BIOS settings to comply with Pash's screens

7 - Made sure the Permissions box on the install drive/SDHC is unchecked

8 - Tried the Terminal hack approach described in Pash's original article -same result

9 - Reset CMOS/BIOS and rtried everything again

10 - Recreated the boot disk and tried again

BIOS recognizes all my peripherals and hardware is identical to that used by Pash.

Whatever I do, I still get the 'No entry' sign after 30 seconds of the gear wheel which thereafter continues to spin in perpetuity.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am using the Apple SL disc which I obtained from Apple at $10 having recently bought a new Mini which came with Leopard 10.5.

Thank you.

afaik, the RAM in this build is 5-5-5-12, not 4.

But it doesn't look like you're the only one to have a problem, this guy was even using a real Macbook!

Drive Error

This one is even outlining people using GUID like us, just search for "no entry" on the page you'll see the comments

No Entry on GUID

Man... Gotta help a brotha out.

I can't believe that I'm still unable to get any network.

Made sure the video card was installed in the top slot.

At first Rosewill RC-400 was in top slot right next to video card. NO NET

Moved Rosewill RC-400 to bottom PCI slot. NO NET

Upgraded BIOS as per previous post to version FDa.

Rosewill still in bottom slot. NO NET

Moved Rosewill to top slot. NO NET

Enabled both onboard LAN ports via BIOS.

Tried Top LAN Port. NO NET

Tried Bottow LAN Port. NO NET

Not sure what the heck is going on. I'm at my wits end. Please help.

The lights on the Rosewill will come on when the cable is plugged in.

The lights on the onboard LAN Ports come on when the cable is plugged in.

Checked the cable and even replaced it for a know good cable. NO NET

The way I'm checking for NET is by going to Safari. It comes up with a "You are not connected to the Internet" I run Network Diagnostics and check Ethernet, and then Use Ethernet Check box..... it says not connected to Ethernet.

I also went into Utilities, Network Utility and under the info tab where it says "Select a network interface for information. The only device listed was FireWire (fw0).

Let me know if I can provide anymore information in diagnosing this problem.

All the best. :-)

FIXED!!!!!

Started over from scratch.

Reformatted the drive inside the Hackintosh as per Life Hacker guide.

Followed all steps in Life Hacker guide except I used a different version of Stell's magic installer as found in this forum posting.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t183502.html

and on the very last page at the very bottom is a version of Stells magic installer.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/4133/EP45UD3P%2...ard%20TEST2.zip

He calls it test 2. Supposedly it's different than the one on Life Hacker.

Some other notes.

Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P V1.6

BIOS is Version FDa

GFX card is installed in top most PCI-E slot

Rosewill RC-400 NIC is installed in bottom most PCI slot.

Thanks to all of you who helped me through this journey. :-)

If you've spent the money to get this exact configuration, it's probably a good idea to have a single place to discuss any problems that come up in the future. So share your experience here and hopefully this awesome hack pro setup will work flawlessy untill it's time for an upgrade!

I'm considering taking the plunge here - noticing that people commenting in the lifehacker forum are reporting that Parallels Desktop 4 does not work. Anyone here seeing this also?

Hi guys, I did the lifehacker install.

Everything is working (more or less) but my CPU fan seemed louder than normal. I downloaded "cpu-x" and sure enough, my CPU is running at its max clock speed all the time, i.e., no SpeedStep.

Does anybody have SpeedStep working?

There are some kexts out there (e.g. VoodooPower) but they are only for Leopard, or 32-bit, or whatever. This is depressing, as I can tolerate some incompatibilities but constant extra noise from my computer is kind of a deal-breaker. Any help is appreciated.

Has anyone been able to get this setup to run the 32-bit kernel? i have seen the questions asked a couple of times, but no response.

Thanks!

It seems like some other people are able to do it, but when I try, it hangs on boot with a complaint about high performance timers (HPET) on CPU 1, IIRC.

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. I'm in no way advocating that people should buy this board. I actually dislike Gigabyte boards very much for OS X. If you were to buy a board, get the MSI P45 Platinum. Killer board, really. :)

-Stell

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. I'm in no way advocating that people should buy this board. I actually dislike Gigabyte boards very much for OS X. If you were to buy a board, get the MSI P45 Platinum. Killer board, really. :(

-Stell

Interesting Stell.

Sorry to go OT, but;

The questions that arise from that are:

-Would this installation method work with the MSI board?

-If not, what steps would have to be taken?

-Is the MSI just as retail SL compatible?

-What specifically makes the MSI better?

I apologize for being so zealous, it's just that I have only the mobo and vid card

so far brand new. If I should return one of them I want to do it ASAP.

Thanks Stell, I appreciate it!

Hello everyone,

I tried the lifehacker guide but my hardware does differ slightly.

Q9550 CPU

8GB DDR2-1066 Memory

Radeon 4870 video.

When i 'boot -v' from the prepared USB disk, the system stops halfway through, no kernel panics. The last item shown in the console log is that it found my Realtek ethernet with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Any suggestions ?

I got my parts in a few days ago and finished assembly today - but I am not getting video ( so I can't do any BIOS setup); Any suggestions on the troubleshooting path I should take? ( I have tried both video ports and I am using the included VGA adapter as I don't have a spare LCD screen )

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 10/ 100/ 1000/ 2000Mbps PCI Copper Gigabit Network Adapter

Antec Sonata III 500 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Patriot PVS24G6400LLK Extreme Performance Viper Series PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 4GB CAS 4-4-4-12 EPP x 2

( not exactly the same as the build; but the original was unavailable )

Samsung CD/DVD Burner SATA Model ( same model sold by OWC as a Mac replacement )

Seagate SATA 750GB HD (it was available)

I don't have any 'known good' parts to use to swap in an out.

New at 'Building from itch' - All suggestions welcome. Thank You. (previously posted in the wrong area )

I got my parts in a few days ago and finished assembly today - but I am not getting video ( so I can't do any BIOS setup); Any suggestions on the troubleshooting path I should take? ( I have tried both video ports and I am using the included VGA adapter as I don't have a spare LCD screen )

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 10/ 100/ 1000/ 2000Mbps PCI Copper Gigabit Network Adapter

Antec Sonata III 500 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Patriot PVS24G6400LLK Extreme Performance Viper Series PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 4GB CAS 4-4-4-12 EPP x 2

( not exactly the same as the build; but the original was unavailable )

Samsung CD/DVD Burner SATA Model ( same model sold by OWC as a Mac replacement )

Seagate SATA 750GB HD (it was available)

I don't have any 'known good' parts to use to swap in an out.

New at 'Building from itch' - All suggestions welcome. Thank You. (previously posted in the wrong area )

If you aren't getting any video, the likely things are either the card is bad, it doesn't like the monitor, the card is improperly seated, or your mobo is bad.

Steps to take:

- Try re-inserting the card. Make sure it is locked into place, and level.

- Try using a monitor with a different interface (DVI), borrow one if you have to.

- Try another PCIe video card, borrow from the friend with the monitor. :-)

Also, you can try your card in your friend's rig.

If there is no video at that point, and you tried the card in a friend's rig either

A- Your card is bad because it didn't even work in your friend's rig. (That you made SURE it was compatible with)

B- Your mobo is bad because your friend's card didn't even fire up in your rig.

Let us know what you find.

If you aren't getting any video, the likely things are either the card is bad, it doesn't like the monitor, the card is improperly seated, or your mobo is bad.

Steps to take:

- Try re-inserting the card. Make sure it is locked into place, and level.

- Try using a monitor with a different interface (DVI), borrow one if you have to.

- Try another PCIe video card, borrow from the friend with the monitor. :-)

Also, you can try your card in your friend's rig.

If there is no video at that point, and you tried the card in a friend's rig either

A- Your card is bad because it didn't even work in your friend's rig. (That you made SURE it was compatible with)

B- Your mobo is bad because your friend's card didn't even fire up in your rig.

Let us know what you find.

I appreciate the quick response...

I will ask some friends if I can borrow the requisites;

Thanks CoHPhasor!

I've got a quirky problem if anyone can help. I'm pretty sure I need to edit my DSDT, and I'm still researching just how to go about it.

I've built my hack into the case of an old G5, so the board is inverted. The primary PCIe slot is lower than the four PCI slot covers, so I shoved my GeForce 9800 GT into the second PCIe slot, which lines up perfectly. Everything is working perfectly, all except for video.

Reading through the thread I see that the DSDT is coded to put the GFX card in the top PCIe slot (bottom for me) and the NIC in bottom (top for me). I just have a couple questions:

1. When I go looking into IORegistryExplorer, is that reflecting the actual placement of the PCI/PCIe cards installed, or the cards installed as dictated by the DSDT?

2. If I were to follow the original Lifehacker article (the one with Terminal commands instead of the package installer) seeing as it does not provide a DSDT, would my card be recognized natively?

I'm going to try to figure this out on my own, but I'll appreciate any help you can give.

I've built my hack into the case of an old G5, so the board is inverted. The primary PCIe slot is lower than the four PCI slot covers, so I shoved my GeForce 9800 GT into the second PCIe slot, which lines up perfectly. Everything is working perfectly, all except for video.

Sorry friend, that question needs fielded by someone who knows more.

Stella devised the install, so I know he'll know. I'm sure there are a few others, and not just here, but in the forums period. Happy hunting.

ps, as your install's a hack anyway, maybe just MAKE it let you put it where you want.

Like they say in the military; "Make a hole!"

Listen - I'm new here but really looking to get going on my first build and will get multiple OS's running (clients and server !!).

This Lifehacker guide is the first that I really thought I would go with as it makes a nice easy introduction to get a newb into how it all works.

Tried to find the EP45-UD3P boards and everyone is out of stock (Don't seem to be made anymore). So any ideas if these files used in the setup would work with Later gigabyte boards ?

I love the idea of a ready made file install and a simple USB drive setup. This gives me the confidence to go and spend the £600 on all the kit I'm after and get some thign running.

I just want this machine as a backup holding a different OS on every drive and will obviously post back with any success on every OS for the setup I go with.

Listen - I'm new here but really looking to get going on my first build and will get multiple OS's running (clients and server !!).

This Lifehacker guide is the first that I really thought I would go with as it makes a nice easy introduction to get a newb into how it all works.

Tried to find the EP45-UD3P boards and everyone is out of stock (Don't seem to be made anymore). So any ideas if these files used in the setup would work with Later gigabyte boards ?

I love the idea of a ready made file install and a simple USB drive setup. This gives me the confidence to go and spend the £600 on all the kit I'm after and get some thign running.

I just want this machine as a backup holding a different OS on every drive and will obviously post back with any success on every OS for the setup I go with.

Newegg doesn't show as being out of stock. (The Link from LH)

BUT above Stella says he recommends a different MSI board anyway.

HE is the one who created this build, so see if you can just use it instead.

Tell us what he says here, because I haven't gotten a response yet.

Newegg doesn't show as being out of stock. (The Link from LH)

BUT above Stella says he recommends a different MSI board anyway.

HE is the one who created this build, so see if you can just use it instead.

Tell us what he says here, because I haven't gotten a response yet.

Yeah I'm in UK - All stockists out of stock - Tried about 10 places.

If the files and installer used in this guide works with other boards then great thats what I'm trying to find out. If the maker of the guide and files say use this board I will try and get that exact board.

I am wondering what other later gig models may work. X58 ??

I'll see what stella recomends as really keen to give this a go but want to try the real "all in one" easy method as listed in the Lifehacker guide first before I get more involved and used to the systems.

Once again - Thanks.