GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

So just remove the PCI card, reboot, go into BIOS and enable both onboard Ethernet Ports?

Yes, but if you desire full compatibility, including bonjour, apply dsdt lan and/or gige fixes to your dsdt and install a startup script incorporating Becker's promiscuity enabler (http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/#ifconfig). (Eliade has written one already, available at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903).

@ machinist

I noticed in your sig that you are using ATI 3870.

Are you running Snow Leopard?

I ask as I could not get 10.6 to install, boot, work with my 3870

I changed to a 9800GTX and Snow Works great...

but if I can get the 3870 to work, I might keep it.

Kind regards

@ machinist

I noticed in your sig that you are using ATI 3870.

Are you running Snow Leopard?

I ask as I could not get 10.6 to install, boot, work with my 3870

I changed to a 9800GTX and Snow Works great...

but if I can get the 3870 to work, I might keep it.

Kind regards

The 3870 does "work" in Snow with rotation and resolutions, but as yet no hardware acceleration. I've only seen one "report" of "renaming" it to a 4870 and achieving QE on a French OSX board, but the author has not responded to my inquiry, and it might of course be a translation problem. My French is {censored}.

The 3870 will never be compatible with OpenCL according to Netkas, so I'll likely ditch mine, just before Apple releases new code enabling hardware acceleration, which is all I want since there isn't even a screensaver written for OpenCL. MacPro users report diminished performance with the 3870 in SL compared to 10.5.x, so it's not a Hack specific issue.

I think the 3870 could have hardware acceleration with a patched (Megalodon) framebuffer, or flashed with an altered efi-rom, as I can get to a blue screen followed by black and white jumbled squares with vanilla 10.6.1 and evoenabler. Patched framebuffers for the 48xx do not work for the 3870.

As you have another card in your first slot, would you try putting your 3870 into the second pcie slot and seeing if it works? MacPro users have discovered that if an Apple approved card is in their first slot any Mac compatible card, (like your PC version of the 3870), will be recognized and fully functional in another slot. If this works then perhaps all that's needed is to construct a "dummy" or virtual card?

Okay, so I have the exact same components as the guide, except I am using an older nVidia 7600gt card (which should be compatible with OSX). Boot up goes to the apple logo and then goes to a light blue screen... Then nothing.

Is it something to do with the resolution of the graphics card and I'm just not able to see the full screen to install... or could this be something else? I am using a new ASUS 24' monitor, for what it is worth.

Any ideas are appreciated.

The 3870 does "work" in Snow with rotation and resolutions, but as yet no hardware acceleration. I've only seen one "report" of "renaming" it to a 4870 and achieving QE on a French OSX board, but the author has not responded to my inquiry, and it might of course be a translation problem. My French is {censored}.

The 3870 will never be compatible with OpenCL according to Netkas, so I'll likely ditch mine, just before Apple releases new code enabling hardware acceleration, which is all I want since there isn't even a screensaver written for OpenCL. MacPro users report diminished performance with the 3870 in SL compared to 10.5.x, so it's not a Hack specific issue.

I think the 3870 could have hardware acceleration with a patched (Megalodon) framebuffer, or flashed with an altered efi-rom, as I can get to a blue screen followed by black and white jumbled squares with vanilla 10.6.1 and evoenabler. Patched framebuffers for the 48xx do not work for the 3870.

As you have another card in your first slot, would you try putting your 3870 into the second pcie slot and seeing if it works? MacPro users have discovered that if an Apple approved card is in their first slot any Mac compatible card, (like your PC version of the 3870), will be recognized and fully functional in another slot. If this works then perhaps all that's needed is to construct a "dummy" or virtual card?

Thanks for that. I understand that CL only works for the 4xxx series ATI but it was good to know that 3870 should work on a normal standard level. When Im free I will try test it in the spare slot thanks.

On a side note...

Has anyone tested firewire yet on this board running 10.6?

Kind regards

Anthony

I didn't get far at all, because when I restored the SL disk image to my 8gb USB drive, it turned the thing into write-protected. So nothing can be patched, etc. Tried disk utility, where all erase, partition tab are grayed out. Tried Terminal, where every commend gets "permission denied."

Does anybody know how to wipe a write-protected USB drive so I can start over? I formatted with GUID as directed in the Pash tutorial.

Thanks!

I didn't get far at all, because when I restored the SL disk image to my 8gb USB drive, it turned the thing into write-protected. So nothing can be patched, etc. Tried disk utility, where all erase, partition tab are grayed out. Tried Terminal, where every commend gets "permission denied."

Does anybody know how to wipe a write-protected USB drive so I can start over? I formatted with GUID as directed in the Pash tutorial.

Thanks!

Okay here's a solution if you can get to a windows machine... I know... I know...

start - run -regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control\storated­evicepolicies

in right side u will be getting writeprotect option, just right click that and modify the value from 1 to 0

Still working on finding a Mac solution comparible to the windows version.

Also... many users have reported this as happening and when contacting the manufacture of said drive, the manufacturer says it's faulty hardware and sets up an RMA to replace the device.

Okay here's a solution if you can get to a windows machine... I know... I know...

start - run -regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control\storated­evicepolicies

in right side u will be getting writeprotect option, just right click that and modify the value from 1 to 0

Still working on finding a Mac solution comparible to the windows version.

Also... many users have reported this as happening and when contacting the manufacture of said drive, the manufacturer says it's faulty hardware and sets up an RMA to replace the device.

Yes, I tried that, but no folder called ..\storagedevice** appears in the regedit window. Seems like XP thinks it is a DVD and not a storage drive. Also tried uninstalling the Corsair device driver in Windows, but that doesn't help, either.

I sure wish there was a way in Terminal to hack into this thing. I guess I'll just return the flash drive.

Is there a way to run VMWare on the Hackintosh? It seems the latest version does not run. I get an error message stating that VMWare will only run on a 32-bit version, not a 64-bit.

Do we just have to wait for the people at VMWare to update their software?

I currently have a hackintosh running 10.5.8 with his mother board. The only difference is that i have an ATI vid card.

So, i tried updating to SL for fun to see if it would work. When i boot off the flash drive i get the initial gray screen with the apple logo on it and the little "thinking" icon underneath it. Eventually, that icon disappears and after a few seconds the screen stays that grayish/off white color and nothing happens. I'm assuming this is because i dont have the same video card as listed in this guide.

I have ordered the correct card but i just wanted to make sure it is the cause of my problem?

Same here. Boot from flash drive, get apple logo and "working" icon which disappears leaving the screen simply gray for awhile. Eventually I get the dreaded "you must restart your computer" screen.

I'm working with an ATI Radeon HD 3850. Thinking about replacing it with my old GeForce 7600 GLS before I shell out for the 9800GT. Will post results.

Same here. Boot from flash drive, get apple logo and "working" icon which disappears leaving the screen simply gray for awhile. Eventually I get the dreaded "you must restart your computer" screen.

I'm working with an ATI Radeon HD 3850. Thinking about replacing it with my old GeForce 7600 GLS before I shell out for the 9800GT. Will post results.

As far as Stella has noted, to get the build working the way this guide outlines you have to use

that specific card. (The 9800 GTX+)

After all, we are talking about a custom setup OS X vanilla install.

You will likely have to edit the DSDT, or add a kext to get other cards to work.

All cards are also not created equally, nor are they all OS X SL compliant.

That's why there's a wiki where people have outlined what functions with the cards they tried.

If you followed this build exactly, want the build to function as stated, and want to know that

updates will be analyzed and the results passed to you FOLLOW THE BUILD. ;-)

You can guys can use the onboard ethernet, there's just no bonjour support.

Man... Gotta help a brotha out.

I can't believe that I'm still unable to get any network.

Made sure the video card was installed in the top slot.

At first Rosewill RC-400 was in top slot right next to video card. NO NET

Moved Rosewill RC-400 to bottom PCI slot. NO NET

Upgraded BIOS as per previous post to version FDa.

Rosewill still in bottom slot. NO NET

Moved Rosewill to top slot. NO NET

Enabled both onboard LAN ports via BIOS.

Tried Top LAN Port. NO NET

Tried Bottow LAN Port. NO NET

Not sure what the heck is going on. I'm at my wits end. Please help.

The lights on the Rosewill will come on when the cable is plugged in.

The lights on the onboard LAN Ports come on when the cable is plugged in.

Checked the cable and even replaced it for a know good cable. NO NET

The way I'm checking for NET is by going to Safari. It comes up with a "You are not connected to the Internet" I run Network Diagnostics and check Ethernet, and then Use Ethernet Check box..... it says not connected to Ethernet.

I also went into Utilities, Network Utility and under the info tab where it says "Select a network interface for information. The only device listed was FireWire (fw0).

Let me know if I can provide anymore information in diagnosing this problem.

All the best. :-)

On a side note...

Has anyone tested firewire yet on this board running 10.6?

Kind regards

Anthony

Ok so I appreciate that not everyone uses firewire, but this board UD3P does have firewire so if anyone could please check system profiler and check if firewire is recognized or not.

Mine says "warning: Unable to list FireWire devices"

=)

Ok so I appreciate that not everyone uses firewire, but this board UD3P does have firewire so if anyone could please check system profiler and check if firewire is recognized or not.

Mine says "warning: Unable to list FireWire devices"

=)

Tony,

When I go to System Profiler, and click on FireWire, mine reads

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Tony,

When I go to System Profiler, and click on FireWire, mine reads

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Thats wonderful thank you.

My UD3P is on back order (hard to find these days) and is expected Oct 1st

Exciting times

I'm trying this method with very similar hardware...

only differences afaik are in RAM brand, GPU RAM amount (1024 instead of 512), and CPU speed (2.8 instead of 3.0)

Everything works great up until a couple minutes into the install process when I receive multiple: "Failed to verify BaseSystem.pkg" messages. Installation gives up shortly after.

It seems like it -might- be having trouble accessing the hard drive, but the drive seems fine. (I've partitioned it, and erased it with zeroes a few times with no warnings/errors)

I feel like I might be missing an obvious step, I'd be grateful to anyone who could point it out. :unsure:

EDIT: Got the install to work by redoing the flash drive part of it in a weird way...

I had a disk image of SL already, but to get it to work I had to mount it, create a new image from the mounted image and use the new (2nd) image for the USB restore.

The only big difference I noticed was the newer dmg was smaller. (because it was compressed?)

Now the only problem I have is that my Encore ENLGA-1320 network card isn't being recognized by SL. :' (

Silent Video Card for this config?

I created a matching setup using the hardware specified. I wanted a quieter video card. The 9800GTX was more powerful and louder than I wanted. I grabbed a XFX 7300GT and after using EFI studio to modify the boot plist, I got it working. Only issue now is the lack of Quartz Extreme (required by iMovie). Can anyone recommend a silent card that support QE or give me some tips on getting QE to work with the 7300 ?

I have a bit of problems with my sound on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR .. anyone have a tip for that ?

Hi...

I do not have that board but I do know that it uses different audio e.g. 888

While the UD3P uses 889

Because the dsdt file is made for 889 then yeah your 888 will not work.

I havent had to look into it but looks like you may need to find some audio kext for 888 such as voodoohda or something

Kind regards

Silent Video Card for this config?

I created a matching setup using the hardware specified. I wanted a quieter video card. The 9800GTX was more powerful and louder than I wanted. I grabbed a XFX 7300GT and after using EFI studio to modify the boot plist, I got it working. Only issue now is the lack of Quartz Extreme (required by iMovie). Can anyone recommend a silent card that support QE or give me some tips on getting QE to work with the 7300 ?

I believe on Newegg you can get the 9800GT as a "Silent Card", in a fanless (HUGE heatsink) design on Newegg. You might consider it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-282-_-Product

Mind you,.. this is a 9800GT, not GTX. You'll want to check with Stella the ramifications of using it.

It would likely need some tweaking and might not give you full compatability.

There is a wiki where people note the cards they've tried and whether QE/CI is working with that card.

Just because it "can work", doesn't mean you'll get to use all the features.

hey

for me almmost everything works fine

only 2 problems

i can't get the headphone jack but no big deal i need new speaker anyway

my biggest problem is netflix instant streaming i got the error 8152

i tried to change the smbios file like i did in 10.5 but no luck so far

anybody??? please thanks

I'm trying this method with very similar hardware...

only differences afaik are in RAM brand, GPU RAM amount (1024 instead of 512), and CPU speed (2.8 instead of 3.0)

Everything works great up until a couple minutes into the install process when I receive multiple: "Failed to verify BaseSystem.pkg" messages. Installation gives up shortly after.

It seems like it -might- be having trouble accessing the hard drive, but the drive seems fine. (I've partitioned it, and erased it with zeroes a few times with no warnings/errors)

I feel like I might be missing an obvious step, I'd be grateful to anyone who could point it out. :(

*I* cannot help you. But I will help you give someone what they might need.

You say you are running the "same setup afaik",.... but that ISN'T the same setup.

We need you to tell us EXACTLY what you have. In Hackintosh land, it MATTERS.

You say same RAM different brand? - *LINK*

Same proc but 2.8. Is it a Q9550?

Same card only 1024? - *LINK*

Hard drive written all zeros? A used Hard Drive? - *LINK*

Not trying to be harsh, I just can't stress enough how precise the process is and

how narrow the guidelines are for this build.

There is room for variance but it is in specific areas that someone who can help will be able

to notice more quickly with more information.

Hello All,

Thinking about buying this exact setup to see if it will work but, before I do so, does anyone know for sure if the dual display will work on the 9800GTX+ following the lifehacker instructions? I recently purchased two 23" displays and then realized (much to my dismay) that my macbook pro can only really run one (without USB video cards or the like) So, I figured, why not spend some money and get myself a sexy little hack(but not really)intosh running?

That being said, I'd hate to spend upwards of 600 dollars (I already have a bunch of parts) just to find that my dreams of dual display OSXing are equally unattainable.

And I know, this is probably posted somewhere but I looked around and couldn't find it. Plus, I figure, with the number of people in this tread running the exact setup I hope to get, one of you must be running dual displays.

Thanks,

Tim