GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I currently have a hackintosh running 10.5.8 with his mother board. The only difference is that i have an ATI vid card.

So, i tried updating to SL for fun to see if it would work. When i boot off the flash drive i get the initial gray screen with the apple logo on it and the little "thinking" icon underneath it. Eventually, that icon disappears and after a few seconds the screen stays that grayish/off white color and nothing happens. I'm assuming this is because i dont have the same video card as listed in this guide.

I have ordered the correct card but i just wanted to make sure it is the cause of my problem?

This thread is for us to share our experience with the hardware configuration:

Obviously, the case, the hard disk, and the memory don't have to be the same, but here they are for the sake of posterity:

The lifehacker guide including hardware config can be found here, and simplified even further through the addition of an automated script here.

Kudos to Adam Pash of lifehacker for putting this together, it's quite amazing to be able to do this so cheaply and simply!

If you've spent the money to get this exact configuration, it's probably a good idea to have a single place to discuss any problems that come up in the future. So share your experience here and hopefully this awesome hack pro setup will work flawlessy untill it's time for an upgrade!

First of all, I want to thank you for your info and link to the awesome guide by lifhacker, unfortunately this only work for the particular hardware, but it is the most easy and detail instruction I have seen sofar up to this point and time for getting the SL install on the PC(of course beside the disktro). I have been trying a few different installing method without sucess until now, even though my hardware doesn't totally match to what the Author intent, i was still able to install it and start up in matter of a brief read his guide, i would recommend this to anyone has the suitable hardware. Once again, thanks to everyone involve and make useful thing like this happen.

My CPU temps seem to be impossibly high - reading between 87 and 99 C. Is this even possible? The air coming out of the back of the case actually feels quite cool. I opened the case and the heat sink seems to be seated properly on the chip. The BIOS seems to also have automatically set the CPU ratio back to 6x (i believe i had it set at 9x), and my chip is only reading as 2GHz (its a 3GHz chip) when it starts up. I noticed another poster had a similar problem - but it was a improperly seated heat sink. I think mine is on there correctly...

My CPU temps seem to be impossibly high - reading between 87 and 99 C. Is this even possible? The air coming out of the back of the case actually feels quite cool. I opened the case and the heat sink seems to be seated properly on the chip. The BIOS seems to also have automatically set the CPU ratio back to 6x (i believe i had it set at 9x), and my chip is only reading as 2GHz (its a 3GHz chip) when it starts up. I noticed another poster had a similar problem - but it was a improperly seated heat sink. I think mine is on there correctly...

It sounds like you are having the exact same problem I had. I thought the heatsink was seated properly too. I realized its really important to push down the pins opposite each other. Before, I went in a circle and even though it seemed like it was seated correctly, when I pulled it off, only half of the thermal compound was smooshed.

I would take off the heatsink and then put it back on, maybe with some arctic silver instead. I just got some, though I don't think its necessary because mine is running fine now.

Ok, I'm useing pretty much the same stuff, cept a Dual CPU and ATI card and a slightly different MB model but they're pretty much same.

* Antec Sonata III 500 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

* (( Im useing GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3P - Notice the letter C)) GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

* (( Im useing E6300 wolfdale - AKA DualCore )) Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz

* (( Im useing Vapor-X 4870 1GB - I can't see this being the booting problem)) GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

* 4GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit

* SATA nternal Hard Drive

I can only think that the CPU must be the problem cause I can't even get into the start of the install. Do I need a different USB custom bootloader for the Lifehacker method?

Basically the last important piece of info on the boot up mode with vebose is:

pushCPU_CSTdata - _CST evaluation failed

Any info for me guys? Thanks

Ok, I'm useing pretty much the same stuff, cept a Dual CPU and ATI card and a slightly different MB model but they're pretty much same.

* Antec Sonata III 500 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

* (( Im useing GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3P - Notice the letter C)) GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

* (( Im useing E6300 wolfdale - AKA DualCore )) Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz

* (( Im useing Vapor-X 4870 1GB - I can't see this being the booting problem)) GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

* 4GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Kit

* SATA nternal Hard Drive

I can only think that the CPU must be the problem cause I can't even get into the start of the install. Do I need a different USB custom bootloader for the Lifehacker method?

Basically the last important piece of info on the boot up mode with vebose is:

pushCPU_CSTdata - _CST evaluation failed

Any info for me guys? Thanks

After it finished install SL to the HD you need to run the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard pkg on more time but instead of choose the usb thump drive you need to choose the new install Snow Leopard HD then you should be booting from the Snow Leopard HD now.

After it finished install SL to the HD you need to run the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard pkg on more time but instead of choose the usb thump drive you need to choose the new install Snow Leopard HD then you should be booting from the Snow Leopard HD now.

It doesn't even get out of the boot up( boot in -v ), fails before the installer gets going......

UD3P system in sig w/ only OSX.

Retail SL DVD + SL Boot 132.. no USB key (mine kept unmounting during imaging - think the drive is borked now) needed - straight ahead 132 install. Using $20 external USB audio. Works perfectly under both 32 and 64 bit.

Onboard ethernet works flawlessly here. Not sure why the Netgear is needed...

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

I went ahead and tried the lifehacker guide with a setup nearly identical to what was specified. The only thing I'm missing is the ethernet card (it wasn't available when I originally ordered). So aside from the troubles involved with the onboard ethernet, my system seems to be working okay. Of course, this means I can't get Time Machine to work and nothing seems to be able to get a UUID.

In any case, my question is whether anyone using rev1.6 of the UD3P motherboards has tried using the updated FDa bios found at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ ? (I beleive FB is the default that comes with the board.)

I went ahead and updated my bios after the initial installation and verification that everything was working properly. It sped up the AHCI boot process significantly! I had a couple of problems getting it to boot initially, but I redid my bios settings and eventually got everything going.

I have had a couple kernel panics for no apparent reason, but other than that things seem to be running okay. Admittedly, I haven't had enough time to properly test the system and use everything. And then there's the fact that I'm still missing the network card.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm particularly worried about whether I'll have to make changes to the DSDT file, something I know very little about.

This thread is for us to share our experience with the hardware configuration:

Obviously, the case, the hard disk, and the memory don't have to be the same, but here they are for the sake of posterity:

The lifehacker guide including hardware config can be found here, and simplified even further through the addition of an automated script here.

Kudos to Adam Pash of lifehacker for putting this together, it's quite amazing to be able to do this so cheaply and simply!

If you've spent the money to get this exact configuration, it's probably a good idea to have a single place to discuss any problems that come up in the future. So share your experience here and hopefully this awesome hack pro setup will work flawlessy untill it's time for an upgrade!

I'm getting kernel panics every once in a while. the last one showed mds. I was trying to use SuperDuper! to back up my entire hard drive at the time. I wonder if other people are having problems with SuperDuper and/or Time Machine.

Another crazy thing that happened, is that all programs will all-of-a-sudden close, as though I was shutting down. The screen would turn blue, and then after a few seconds, the Snow Leopard background image would show and my dock would re-appear. I then needed to re-open all the programs. Strange...

QE Status not displayed in SL. Try launching Chess. If you can move a pawn, it's working.

I saw that before (about using Chess to test QE), but I am not sure that is a valid test. I am able to move a pawn in Chess, but I still get no other QE effects (translucent menubar, widget add effects, etc) and iMovie won't start because of the lack of QE.

It sounds like you are having the exact same problem I had. I thought the heatsink was seated properly too. I realized its really important to push down the pins opposite each other. Before, I went in a circle and even though it seemed like it was seated correctly, when I pulled it off, only half of the thermal compound was smooshed.

I would take off the heatsink and then put it back on, maybe with some arctic silver instead. I just got some, though I don't think its necessary because mine is running fine now.

i tried reseating the heat sink and immediately upon boot up i'm right back up at 90-99 C, after letting it rest and cool down over night. The thermal compound appeared to be well spread, but will try getting some arctic silver and reseating it. I'm afraid i'm going to do some serious damage to my machine even booting it with the chip running at these temps. I wonder if it could be a sensor problem? I just don't see how the chip can get so hot so fast!

Stell,

I have been working with many systems over the years and have done days of research getting my stuff up to the current builds. I got tired and upgraded my stuff to what you recommended and followed the guide and BAM! Best system ever! Thanks for bringing us on board. Hope you help us with updates. Just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your work. I really appreciate it.

Stell,

I have been working with many systems over the years and have done days of research getting my stuff up to the current builds. I got tired and upgraded my stuff to what you recommended and followed the guide and BAM! Best system ever! Thanks for bringing us on board. Hope you help us with updates. Just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your work. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, Stell rocks.

So I'm trying everything, now I'm thinking, I wonder if I switch vid cards this thing will load up to the disk util/install stage? Sure enough useing the USB Boot Image method I get into the snow installation; BUT the "pci video card" ATI Rage 128 AIW I used to get here can't deal with large LCD screens so I can only see half of what I need to do the install. I now need a monitor from 1906 AD to finish this. LOL

If people just made ATI 4870 bootable images life would be so easy. Now I have to go dumpster diving for old CRT's, and I just threw 3 away this year. ;p

I finally get my hackintosh to work. Thank you life hacker -_-

At first i had a problem with connecting to the network, but then i got it going. I just enable both of the onboard Network adapter. I have not had any problem since.

This board is great, tons on info and a very helpful member. Thanks a million :)

First of all thanks Adam for such a comprehensive guide on creating a Hackintosh. I'm having some issues though trying to get the network card to be recognized.

I followed this guide on Lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

Then used the "magic" install utility on this guide, to eliminate the need for terminal programming.

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

Everything is working fine except for the network card.

It's not even shown in system profiler.

Unfortunately at the time when I purchased the components from New Egg, the Trend Net TEG-PCITXR was sold out, so I purchased the Rosewill RC-400 card which according to this website it compatible with Snow Leopard.

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/17087638...atible-hardware

I disabled the onboard LAN in BIOS as instructed and made sure all other settings were correct.

When you plug in the CAT cable to the back of the NIC, the lights come on.

Downloaded the drivers from Rosewill site, installed them to Hackintosh system. Still no luck.

Tried moving the card physically from one PCI slot to another. No luck.

Did a bit of research and very confused. Not really sure at this point what the issue is or where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I went ahead and tried the lifehacker guide with a setup nearly identical to what was specified. The only thing I'm missing is the ethernet card (it wasn't available when I originally ordered). So aside from the troubles involved with the onboard ethernet, my system seems to be working okay. Of course, this means I can't get Time Machine to work and nothing seems to be able to get a UUID.

In any case, my question is whether anyone using rev1.6 of the UD3P motherboards has tried using the updated FDa bios found at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ ? (I beleive FB is the default that comes with the board.)

I went ahead and updated my bios after the initial installation and verification that everything was working properly. It sped up the AHCI boot process significantly! I had a couple of problems getting it to boot initially, but I redid my bios settings and eventually got everything going.

I have had a couple kernel panics for no apparent reason, but other than that things seem to be running okay. Admittedly, I haven't had enough time to properly test the system and use everything. And then there's the fact that I'm still missing the network card.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm particularly worried about whether I'll have to make changes to the DSDT file, something I know very little about.

Ya using the rev 1.6 of the board. No NIC for me either. Haven't done a BIOS update though. Do you feel that would be necessary?

Using the Rev 1.6 board here, and have no issue with the onboard NIC's, working fine .

I didn't make any changes to the Extras or DSDT files , so not sure why my NIC is working where its not for others.

BIOS rev is still FB, but I'll be updating to the latest BETA BIOS when I get a few spare minutes and report back.

I haven't pushed the system too hard, but no major problems to report so far.

Adam, thank you for bringing the masses (including myself) up to speed in such a sweet way.

Stella, thanks for spending the time (and patience) on us and Adam to get this build workable and EASY!

I understand that keeping the components in the build identical is fairly critical, but have one question.

Can I use a Q9550 instead of the Q9650?

They're both 45nm Yorkfields with 1333MHz FSB etc, but for the .17GHz increase the price gap is $100. (50% jump!)

I figure if I use an old case, grab the Q9550, use only 4GB RAM, and get a WD 500GB Green instead of the 1TB I'll be able to make this build for about $675 instead of $900 and still be able to safely follow your updates.

Is that correct? Use the Q9550 without having to worry about compatability with your build?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adam, thank you for bringing the masses (including myself) up to speed in such a sweet way.

Stella, thanks for spending the time (and patience) on us and Adam to get this build workable and EASY!

I understand that keeping the components in the build identical is fairly critical, but have one question.

Can I use a Q9550 instead of the Q9650?

They're both 45nm Yorkfields with 1333MHz FSB etc, but for the .17GHz increase the price gap is $100. (50% jump!)

I figure if I use an old case, grab the Q9550, use only 4GB RAM, and get a WD 500GB Green instead of the 1TB I'll be able to make this build for about $675 instead of $900 and still be able to safely follow your updates.

Is that correct? Use the Q9550 without having to worry about compatability with your build?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes you can use the Q9550, I have and it works great =)

Question for anyone out there using this install with UD3P

Have any of you tried using Firewire yet?