GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

My build is running flawlessly except I can't get the cd drive to open. When I press the button on the drive, nothing happens. Do I need to get a mac keyboard so there is an eject button on the keyboard?

A few things to check if you haven't already.

1. When the computer is booting up or at anytime do you ever see the light come on in the CD drive?

2. Do you hear stranger noises coming from the CD drive?

If you see a light or hear noises from the drive.... that's usually a good indicator that the drive is receiving power.

If NOT... check your SATA power cable. Make sure it's fully plugged in.

If that don't work... use another SATA power cable from the power supply to hook up the CD ROM drive.

If that don't work.... if you have a spare machine or access to one.... plug the drive in and test it on that machine.

If still nothing.... there is a very good chance that your drive is dead. I would call the company you bought it from and ask for an RMA for a defective drive.

Best of luck. :-)

Just wanted to chime in with my (working) config:

GA-EP45C-UD3R motherboard

EVGA Geforce 9800GTX+

Generic Pioneer DVD drive (forgot which model, but it works just fine)

4GBs DDR2 RAM

Intel 2.83 Core 2 Quad

I originally did the Terminal install of this, and it worked fine. I tried the "package" installer just for kicks, and nothing changed there.

I applied the bootloader to the HD, and I don't need the USB stick any longer. Works like a charm.

I am having a couple issues though. First up, no PCI card support. I'm trying to get a Pro Tools HD system up and running on this system, and PT won't see the cards (although they work fine in Vista SP1).

Also, when I open the Console, I get a TON of "unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" errors. This is the FIRST thing I would like to get resolved, then the PCI cards.

As for the PCI cards, I tried installing lspci, but it errors out. Any advice from anyone?

I should also point out that I made a custom DSDT file, but I did that only to see if I could get my PCI cards working. Everything (including the onboard NIC) were working fine without it though.

As for anyone looking for the GA-EP45-UD3P board, you might want to call Central Computer in San Francisco. I think they had a couple the last time I was there.

Thanks to Stella and Pash for putting this guide together; it's really helped a lot!

PE

My build is running flawlessly except I can't get the cd drive to open. When I press the button on the drive, nothing happens. Do I need to get a mac keyboard so there is an eject button on the keyboard?

you should try to unselect the option 'put the hard disk sleep when possible''

it fixed the problem for me

and nobody has any input on neflix streaming???

I'm a bit lost here ... I did the install on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR instead of the UD3P, I need some advice on how to make the sound working. Do I need to reinstall Snow Leopard or is there any way I can fix it now.

Could somebody please point me towards a solution to a non-working Time Machine? I'm running 10.6.1, and when Time Machine is told to "Back Up Now" it immediately just starts counting down again to the next backup.

I've followed the Lifehacker guide for the EP45-UD3P and have the hardware listed for that guide, and the rest of my system is apparently working just fine (as far as I can tell after a couple days). However, Time Machine simply will not make a back-up.

Any ideas? Please please please???

Time machine does not work for me either!

I'm a bit lost here ... I did the install on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR instead of the UD3P, I need some advice on how to make the sound working. Do I need to reinstall Snow Leopard or is there any way I can fix it now.

UD3LR uses different audio e.g. 888 instead of 889a

So you will have to either use LegacyHDA or create your own dsdt file with 888 support.

I remember seeing some for 888, if I can find them I'll get back to use

Kind regards

I cleaned off the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and applied new Arctic Silver per their instructions. Same issue. In BIOS screen 'PC Health Status' the system reports 'Current system temperature' of 29C (which is reasonable) and 'Current CPU Temperature' between 93C and 99C, which is way too high - and this a minute or so after turning on a cold system (Pash's BIOS screenshot shows this at 51C). Trying to install SL has the system shut down part way. I am sure that the heat sink is properly clamped over the CPU and removing it confirms proper contact with the thermal paste.

Right after shutdown I pulled the heat sink/CPU fan and felt it. Had it been at 95C I would have been burned. It was lukewarm to the touch. So was the CPU.

Thus it seems to me I have a bad CPU temperature sensor which is misreporting CPU temperature and causing shut down.

My question is this: Is this a CPU problem (C2Q 9550) or a motherboard problem (Gigabyte UD3P)? Is there any diagnostic I can run to determine the cause of the error? Any other ideas welcome.

I hate to ask, but did you try to update the BIOS?

I've heard a few people in this thread have that problem with the CPU.

Either Gigabyte had a manufacturing problem with sensors for the CPU,

or it's simply reporting improperly because of BIOS programming.

(I know you sent it back already, but just in case you get anther ;-) )

I refused to take this potentially lethal (and illogical) action and simply returned the board to Amazon for an exchange. The motherboard was properly installed on stand-off posts in the Antec Sonata III case, one post at each location of holes in the motherboard.

We'll see how the replacement does. Not a great start to my life with Gigabyte, but anything beats replacing failed/fried iMacs every two years at premium cost.

Let us know how this goes. I had the same problem with high core temps, although my machine was not restarting or freezing. But i was reading 92C in the BIOS for the core temp with a system temp of 39C. It took me a half a dozen tries to get the cooler seated correctly (i agree the instructions are miserable, it wasn't until i found a video on youtube of a cpu install that i figured it out) so i thought maybe i had screwed up the thermal paste. while i was ordering some arctic silver from newegg anyway, i went ahead and got a new cooler as well since you can get a decent one for about $30.

After replacing the cooler and using the arctic silver, i'm now seeing a core temp of about 51 on initial boot up, which i guess is fine, but under load i'm reading in the upper 60s to low 70s. i was thinking with the new cooler and better thermal grease i'd be down in the 40's. The ambient temp in the room is a little higher than normal (around 80), but i can't imagine that's the culprit here. Maybe my chip/board combo just runs hot. Anyway let us know how you fare with the new board...

UD3LR uses different audio e.g. 888 instead of 889a

So you will have to either use LegacyHDA or create your own dsdt file with 888 support.

I remember seeing some for 888, if I can find them I'll get back to use

Kind regards

Thx ... would be nice, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do :(

Interesting that you mentioned YouTube - I hadn't thought of that. Here is the link to the Intel video which taught me that I was doing it exactly wrong when installing their cooler. It's not "push and turn clockwise" for the retaining posts, it's "turn clockwise then push".

An aftermarket cooler is an intriguing idea but as I am not proposing to overclock the CPU would likely be a waste of money. Were I to get one, I would opt for the more robust type of fastener which is inserted and screwed in from the underside of the motherboard, even though that makes exchange down the road much harder as the mother board would have to be removed.

i got this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134

although i think it looks like there's a new model out. but i figured for 30 bucks its worth it. installs the same way the intel one does, although its on a much sturdier mounting bracket. but it was nice that i didn't have to tear the computer apart to take out the mother board.

scrambler_455 or Anybody that knows the answer to this?

My Lifehacker build is perfect expect for a few issues. One of the main issues has to do with the video card. I have a EVGA 9800GT 512MB

I am sure that the string that Lifehacker is using, for some reason my card does not like it. When using Quicktime 8 or Video IChat after a time, my computer screen freezes up. Photoshop after a certain number of images are open at the same time gives me this error "up to 15 OpenGL document windows can be shown at a time. I am sure it is the video card string, why?

Because when I put a custom video card string in the com.apple.Boot.plist file then my computer screen no longer freezes up when using Quicktime 8 nor do I get that photoshop error after opening tons of images at the same time, but then I have other problems related to the string being put in the com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Since the com.apple.Boot.plist currently has a time out string it is evident to me that Lifehacker put the video card string somewhere else. When I boot up without the Time out string and the new video string in the com.apple.Boot.plist.file, on the boot up it skips everything when it gets to that and just boots up.

Well that fixes the screen freezing but because other video card stuff is not loading, Screen Shots don't work and Video IChat Camera crashes IChat Video. So, here is my question;

Where on the boot loader is the Video String so that I can replace it with my custom video card string?

Any help on this would be great?

Stella setup this build and *might* be able to help with that.

If you can't get ahold of him, you might need to simply scour the board and find someone

who is using this card and find out how they did it.

You might need to build something. :-\

Time machine does not work for me either!

I just ordered all of the same parts to build this (the exception being the video card, I picked up the 8800 GT 512M so I could do OpenCL).

I also didn't pick up the LAN card...

EDIT: I picked up a Netgear GA-311 (PCI) at Fry's today. It is supposed to be native compatible with SL in 32 and 64 bit kernel mode. Better safe than sorry.

Anyways, I'm curious about folks saying Time Machine isn't working. Is everyone having the same problem? On my current iMac, Time Machine has saved my butt a few times. I'd hate to not have it when I build the HackPro.

Any suggestions on this, so I can get the info before I start my build (probably Wed)?

Thanks.

I have installed SL and my computer works fine. Sound, microphone, sleep etc are all working very well. The installation guide (first version) went without a hitch.

However, I cannot get it to boot using the 32 bit kernel. I would dearly like this so I can run VMware Fusion.

I have tried using lots of suggested methods, but all end in freezing or kernel dumps.

arch=i386

-v -x 32

arch=x86_32

Can anyone please provide an explanation of the steps that are needed?

Thank you in advance!

George

--------------------

MB - GA-EP45-UD3P

Video - EVGA 8800GT

CPU - Q6600

Memory 8GB

I just ordered all of the same parts to build this (the exception being the video card, I picked up the 8800 GT 512M so I could do OpenCL).

Anyways, I'm curious about folks saying Time Machine isn't working. Is everyone having the same problem? On my current iMac, Time Machine has saved my butt a few times. I'd hate to not have it when I build the HackPro.

Any suggestions on this, so I can get the info before I start my build (probably Wed)?

Thanks.

The 9800 GTX+ doesn't do OpenCL in this build?

I haven't heard that mentioned. Can anyone confirm this?

(I am po' and am slowly getting parts, I only have the mobo and vid card so far)

Afaik you will have to do some tweaking to this build to run a different card.

On another note:

I have a question.

I know that sticking to the build is important for many ways, but I have a question about the RAM.

The board claims to support: Memory Standard DDR2 1366+/1066/800/667

The Patriot Memory in this build is only DDR2 800. Can we use higher speed RAM and not affect the compatability?

Such as Patriot 1066

This is a major point as far as I'm concerned, and I haven't ordered my RAM yet, and the 1066 is now only $5 more. (The timing is 5-5-5-15) can I get confirmation?

The 9800 GTX+ doesn't do OpenCL in this build?

I haven't heard that mentioned. Can anyone confirm this?

(I am po' and am slowly getting parts, I only have the mobo and vid card so far)

Afaik you will have to do some tweaking to this build to run a different card.

Here is Apple's Nvida list on the SL Tech Specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600

Not sure about others. I'm new to osx86, but not to macs.

Here is Apple's Nvida list on the SL Tech Specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600

Not sure about others. I'm new to osx86, but not to macs.

This is What Apple says in their OS X SL page:

OpenCL

requires one of the following graphics cards or graphics processors:

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600
  • ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

Can I ask if anyone has OpenCL running?

EDIT:

Silly me, I worry before thinking.

Somebody's already done the test on a 9800 GTX+! ;-)

OpenCL TEST

This is What Apple says in their OS X SL page:

Can I ask if anyone has OpenCL running?

EDIT:

Silly me, I worry before thinking.

Somebody's already done the test on a 9800 GTX+! ;-)

OpenCL TEST

I just found this post somewhere here:

"If you can find a cheap 8800GT, GET IT. Nvidia rebranded the 8800GT as a 9800GT, and a improved version, the 9800GTX/GTX+ are now rebranded as a GTS250. So, technically, the 8800GT model is not as old as you may think."

I think we will both be happy with our results as far as OpenCL is concerned. I won't be able to tell until I try it all out on Wed.

EDIT: I picked up a Netgear GA-311 (PCI) at Fry's today. It is supposed to be native compatible with SL in 32 and 64 bit kernel mode. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks.

Time Machine doesn't work for me either and I can't get out of 64-bit mode to run Fusion. Also noticed that I have to go into sound preferences after each boot to re-select built-In Line out, otherwise I won't have sound. Other than these issues everything else seems to work flawlessly

Quartz Extreme not working with 32 bit kernel

I set a 32 bit flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder to get 32 bit kernel so that Parallels will work. Everything works, but no Quartz Extreme. How can I get QE working with 32 bit Kernel?

Hey there... I've had a successful install using lifehackers guide too - using a 8600 card.. only issue - similar to yours -cant get Parallels or any virtualisation software working..

What exactly did you add to the con.apple.Boot.plist to enable 32bit kernel?

Does that affect video as well??

Cheers

DAN