[How To] ALC882 Sound

Rammjet

204 posts in this topic

Ok,

since no other way worked, tried rammjet's post above a couple of times and still get the error msg, I re-installed mac... got the ethernet & video card hooked up again.. but something got my attention..

In both ethernet & video card, when removing the necessary files the following commands had to take place

" sudo chmod -R 755 (filename)"

" sudo chown -R root:wheel (filename)"

" sudo kextload (filename)"

then repairing permission rebooting pressing f8 to get the Darwin Prompt and then typing -F <enter> waiting until GUI is up & restarting again...

on this guide:

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
cd /System/Library
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

clearly there are differences and for a lot of people (newbies like me) it's a bit unclear...

" sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache"

I take it that you have to perform the sudo rm -rf command seperately for both files?

and why must disk be repaired before deleting those files?When other guides delete them first and then perform a permission repair..?

and do you have to delete AppleHDA.kext before rebooting?

Sorry if these questions are lame, but I just want to be sure what to do before following this guide again, cause I really don't want to end up having to reinstall everything again....

In both ethernet & video card, when removing the necessary files the following commands had to take place

" sudo chmod -R 755 (filename)"

" sudo chown -R root:wheel (filename)"

" sudo kextload (filename)"

For the ALC8xx fix, if you edit the kext using "sudo nano", the 755 permissions stay in place. if you delete the 2 Extensions.*kext* files and reboot, "kextload" happens automatically during the reboot.

(Extensions.*kext* files = Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache)

" sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache"

I take it that you have to perform the sudo rm -rf command seperately for both files?

No, the "rm" command can handle multiple files as input. Only the command as written is needed.

why must disk be repaired before deleting those files?When other guides delete them first and then perform a permission repair..?

I have read several postings where repairing permissions after deleting the 2 files did not work. It sounds wrong, but I decided to change the order just to be safe. If you are deleting the 2 files, they don't need their permissions fixed.

do you have to delete AppleHDA.kext before rebooting?

Yes, before rebooting or you will have to delete the Extensions.*kext* files, reboot again and let the system rebuild them again. The system reads the kext info out of the 2 Extensions.*kext* files after it builds them to speed up the boot process. It then ignores the kexts themselves. If you mess with the kexts, you must rebuild those 2 files or the system won't know that they have changed.

I have set up the order for a reason, it is best to follow it and not skip around. For instance, the "cd /System/Library/Extensions" in step 2 is still required for what is happening in step 3. If you jump to step 3, you will not be performing the intended operations.

done it...and get that error again that the files have been improperly installed..... >.<

Ran pacifist again extracted AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

no diskrepair done..rebooted and error msg is no longer..

but then again..still no sound >_<

still there's something strange..which have been noticed by some aswell...

my ALC883 device id => 0x10EC0888

one told me this was weird as 888 is ALC888... but on device manager it's clearly stated that it's an ALC883... -.-''

Go to Terminal and type these commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extension.kextcache

Then reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, then you may have a typo in the file like an invisible character or an extra character or the indenting has been changed. Or the gods just don't like you.

Post the 2 strings that you added to the files just for confirmation (assuming you have obtained the correct vendor/device ids).

I missed this one somehow.

Ran pacifist again extracted AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

no diskrepair done..rebooted and error msg is no longer..

If you have already deleted the AppleHDA.kext, then try starting the guide again at step 2. If the device id is wrong, you shouldn't get the error message, just no sound.

still there's something strange..which have been noticed by some aswell...

my ALC883 device id => 0x10EC0888

one told me this was weird as 888 is ALC888... but on device manager it's clearly stated that it's an ALC883...

Device Manager displays the title that is programmed into the driver my your motherboard maker or by Microsoft. A quick edit of the right file could make it say just about anything. But the device id is read from the ROM on the card, and when OSX reads the ROM on the card, that is what it is going to look for in the drivers to connect to the sound chips. So, go with the device id not some arbitrary title that some programmer wrote in a driver config file in Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HELP!

Could the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext work for Realtek HDA (VENDOR_10EC / DEVICEID_0861). {Intel D101GGCL Onboard Audio} or maybe someone knows if somebody is programming the Sound Blaster Live! driver for Mac OS X 10.4.x (I have 10.4.5)

Thanks!

PD: I don't want to buy a cheap AC97 soundcard, please help me if somebody can, i just wanna use my Realtek HDA. (Good look for everybody who wants a Mac! like me).

;):tomato:

i just wanted to say, i have had sucsess with this on the jas non reseed 10.4.8, i have acl660 and it worked for me.

Would you be so kind as to upload the kext please ;)

I have 0x10ec 0x0882 and attempted to follow the instructions laid out on page 1 of this thread but unfortunetly I don't have the azalia file in extensions!! It seems to be removed in the version of 10.4.8 (jas) I am using

I have ALC880 chip, and I tried to follow the instruction on page 1, but I've found out that both strings were already correct from the beginning. But I have no audio and no devices in audio dropout in system profile

. I installed OS X with built-in audio switched off in BIOS, but now I turned it on and OS X still doesn't see it (Windows can see it).

How to get it to work?

When Im in the editer I get this message:

[ "IOHDAudioCodecVenderID" not found ]

I have ALC861 and am running OSX 10.4.9 with the 8.4.1 kernal is there ant solution that Im not seeing

Im thinking of adding the key myself but I dont want to frag this install seeing how its like the 6th time OSX has been installed.

NEVERMIND I GOT IT TO WORK I HAD TO FIND THE KEY MYSELF, Guide worked perfectly thank you sir ps. sorry for the caps Im happy this OS x installation is going so smoothely :)

Edited by Areyu S3

• 3 weeks later...

I doesn't work for ALC660/861

jjduro

Asus F3Jc

Intel Pentium T5500 Core Duo -> OK

HD 100 GB -> OK

Video: Geforce Go 7300 com QE/CI -> OK

1 GB de DDR -> OK

USB 2.0 / Fireware -> OK

Bluethooth -> OK

Gravação CD/DVD -> OK

Touchpad -> OK

Bateria -> OK (com patch)

Som: REALTEK ALC861 High Definition -> DEAD

MAC OSX (JaS) 10.4.8 DaemonES Kernel 8.8.1 -> OK

Hi!

I have installed Mac OS X 10.4.8 but I have no sound. My computer is an Acer laptop with Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC880) so I thaught I would try Ramijs guide.

But I don't have to change any numbers in the files...they are already correct for me :thumbsup_anim:

So, what is the problem?

Edited by LazyGus

Hi!

I have installed Mac OS X 10.4.8 but I have no sound. My computer is an Acer laptop with Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC880) so I thaught I would try Ramijs guide.

But I don't have to change any numbers in the files...they are already correct for me :)

So, what is the problem?

Hi, I hope you read this, attached is the file you asked me, hope it work for you ( remember to check the numbers in the files). :)File.sitx

Edited by elviejo

I have tried the guild yet im not haveing any luck with fixing this audio problem.

My system:

Jetway A210GDMS modo (Realtek HD audio ALC 880 i beleave),

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU,

1.25 GB Ram,

OSX 10.4.6 JaS DVD.

Can some one please help me get my audio working?