[How To] ALC882 Sound

Rammjet

204 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody else get broken sound with this? My sound is distorted, and gets worst and worst, itunes eventually has to be shut so you can tell that its playing music again. This is with a clean system, .4 through to .8 with the .8 kernel does it. Im using the same motherboard as you rammjet. Any help would be great

Does anybody else get broken sound with this? My sound is distorted, and gets worst and worst, itunes eventually has to be shut so you can tell that its playing music again. This is with a clean system, .4 through to .8 with the .8 kernel does it. Im using the same motherboard as you rammjet. Any help would be great

Works fine here.

If you are using an older Semthex kernel, you need to set FSB at boot or in boot.plist. Or go to IRC channel #kernel and get the link to the latest kernel (Click Chat at top of this window, then on next page, click "forum" link. When logged in to IRC, click on Channels and choose #kernel).

When using the Semthex kernel, you may need to set your FSB frequency. It is set to 200 by default.

At boot, type: fsb=xxx (where xxx is a number like 133, 166 or 200)

fsb is a frequency

fsb (freq) = fsb (speed) / 4

Find your fsb (speed) in your BIOS or:

(OSX) System Profiler -> Hardware -> Bus Speed (fsb speed)

(Win) PC Wizard -> Mainboard -> Chipset -> fsb (speed) and fsb (freq) are both avail

Remember to divide the speed by 4. If your FSB (speed) is 667, then your FSB (freq) = 166 because 667/4 = 166

At boot, type fsb=166 (use correct value) or put the fsb in your boot.plist under Kernel Flags:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1
fsb=166
</string>

Thanks for quick reply rammjet. I think my front side bus is at the correct setting. But i get this dodgy sound all the way up from a jas 10.4.4 to 10.4.8 with 10.4.4 kernel. It seems to be better with the semthex kernel though. I'll do some more testing on it, install the stuff i normally would, see if one of those messes it up. It does it everyso often on a clean install, but no-where near as bad on my personalised 10.4.7 install, i cant really listen to a full song on that.

Thanks again

Hi,

i have a problem after reboot the system, it tells me that AppleAzaliaAudio and AppleAzaliaController were not properly installed.

I'm running Semthex 10.4.8.

with jas 10.4.7 and the previous method (the one with kextload....) i had the sound working....

any idea?

where I can find the previous method (i need the last 4 commands)

ciao

sa

t tells me that AppleAzaliaAudio and AppleAzaliaController were not properly installed.

where I can find the previous method (i need the last 4 commands)

3) Clean up the system:
* In Terminal, type:
* sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
* sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
* kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

The kextload and kextcache commands happen automatically when you reboot after deleting the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files. If it fails after rebooting, it would also fail when using the kextload and kextcache commands as well.

If you are sure you haven't typed anything wrong in the Info.plist files, then you just need to fix the permissions on the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Go to Terminal and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.mkext

Then reboot.

If you are sure you haven't typed anything wrong in the Info.plist files, then you just need to fix the permissions on the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.mkext

Then reboot.

perfect :-)

it works great

thanks Rammjet

help... i am new to osx86 and i just setup my new pc with conroe945G-DVI.

I got error while i am trying to get the audio work.

The system extension "/system/library/extensions/appleazaliaaudio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I have followed this guide exactly (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/ConRoe945G-DVi), any idea why?

my spec:

pentium D 820

Asrock conroe945g-dvi

1GB DDR2 667

WD 250GB SATAII

jas 10.4.8

additional info:

here are the error i got if i run "sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext" again

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

ppapples-computer:~ ppapple$ sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

ppapples-computer:~ ppapple$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/ (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

ppapples-computer:~ ppapple$ sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

I confirmed i have run the "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /"

I got error while i am trying to get the audio work.

The system extension "/system/library/extensions/appleazaliaaudio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

You posted this in postings 108 and 109.

This is posting 110.

How about reading postings 106 and 107, right above your postings?

thanks... i got it now...sorry because this is my 1st time using mac

but i got another problem.

the sound is jagged and not smooth at all. anyone having this problem?

Not sure how being new to Mac interferes with you reading the posts in a forum.

Did you move the AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions folder as instructed in the guide?

Thanks for quick reply rammjet. I think my front side bus is at the correct setting. But i get this dodgy sound all the way up from a jas 10.4.4 to 10.4.8 with 10.4.4 kernel. It seems to be better with the semthex kernel though. I'll do some more testing on it, install the stuff i normally would, see if one of those messes it up. It does it everyso often on a clean install, but no-where near as bad on my personalised 10.4.7 install, i cant really listen to a full song on that.

Thanks again

i'm having exactly the same problem here.. giving all my hopes to this thread tho:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

I have a

key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAzaliaAudio</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodecGeneric</string>

<key>IOHDAudioCodecFunctionGroupType</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOHDAudioCodecFunction</string>

</dict>

<key>Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAzaliaAudio</string>

Please help?

I have a asus p5pl2 motherhood and integrated soundmax volume card...

Use the Appendix at the bottom of the Guide to find the 4 numbers you need. Then use the top part of the guide to enter those numbers into the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.

The part of the kext that you show, you must scroll down to find the entry to modify.

Thanks for the guide Rammjet.

Within 10.4.8 (patches *4.7/*4.8 old kernel 8.4.1) -out working after modifying Azalia*.kext; -in working with USB Logitech Mic (install from JaS 10.4.8 reseed the package USBSupport). So, using Skype is no more an 'issue' :).

Cheers.

PPlsss,

I really need help. I've done everything in the guide up to the IOHDAudioCodecVendor thingy when you have to search for it...only it tells me it can't find it! how do I solve this?

+ i tried looking for the AppleAzalia thingy and I can't find it anywhere either...

I got the Jas version of Mac for Intel only

I'm running 10.4.8 and my Audio Is the same as in the guide ( checked it in Windows Device Manager) if more info is needed let me now

First, you cannot be searching for the "IOHDAudioCodecVendor thingy" until you have something to search in.

If you look at the Customize window in the install DVD, you will see that there is a selection for the "AppleAzalia thingy". You needed to select this at installation.

To fix that, while in OSX, insert the install DVD and let if mount on the Desktop. Open the DVD icon and follow this path: /System/Installation/Packages. Find the AppleAzaliaAudio package and double-click it.

Now follow the guide.

Still not working for me...

after following the guide and rebooting I get the following error msg for both IOHDAudioFamily.kext and AppleAzaliaController.kext

System Extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Plugins/*IOHDAudioFamily.kext*" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

*AppleAzaliaController.kext*

I've also downloaded Pacifist and reinstalled the AppleAzalia.pkg (once repairing disk permissions then rebooting = no dice & once without repairing disk permissions & still no dice..)

keep getting this error msg and still have no sound (obviously)

ALC883 ID => 0x10EC0888

Microsoft UAA blahblah ID => 0x27d88086

Any suggestions????

Modify the replaced file. Be sure you don't add any extraneous characters or change the indenting.

Go to Terminal and type:cd /System/Library/Extensions

Then perform step 3 of the guide. This is the key to repairing permissions.

Hi...

I followed this tutorial and many others but none of them seems to have a positive effect here. I have the volume slider, but no sound at all, I tried to plug the speakers in every possible hole in my computer and none worked...

I'm running a 10.4.8 (10.4.6 with 10.4.8 apple combo update) with the semthex beta8 kernel...

my motherboard is a Asus P5GV-MX and it have the ADI AD1986A SoundMAX....

the ID's from windows are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986 (for sound max)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2668 (the other one under the system things)

Does anyone with the same sound as me got it working???

I need some HELP please. I thought about doing a kernel update, don't know, I'll try...

All I can say is that I know that several people have used the guide to get Soundmax 1986 sound working with stereo out. Others with the same two chipsets have failed. A few moved on and modified the Azalia kext inside the AppleAC97Audio.kext with some being successful. This kext is the exact same kext, just embedded inside the other kext.

The essence of the guide is to get rid of the competing AppleHDA.kext, modify plists for the two sound chips, and repair permissions and kextcaches. Generally, the things that go wrong are: extraneous characters or wrong numbers inside the plists (0x11d41986 and 0x26688086). Failing to remove AppleHDA.kext. Typos in the permissions and kextcache commands so they don't actually do what they are supposed to do. And a few people typo the nano commands and for some reason think it is OK to type the numbers into a blank file. Oh, and forgetting to reboot to see if it works.

When I was looking at the System Profiler, I found something in the Extensions page:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AppleAzaliaAudio:

Version: 1.0.0

Last Modified: 01/11/2006 12:20

Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005

kext Version: 1.0.0d1

Load Address: 0x43dd1000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

---------------------------------

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found <<a missing file?>>

----------------------------------

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone check if they got a file name com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily? PLease!

Or the same message?

Thanks

My ALC882 audio works with AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and this is my System Profiler output for Azalia:

AppleAzaliaAudio:

Version:	1.0.0
 Last Modified:	11/3/05 1:19 AM
 Get Info String:	1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005
 kext Version:	1.0.0d1
 Load Address:	0x3aef2000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Incomplete
 Dependency Errors:
 com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 Integrity:	Kext has no receipt

I think the dependency errors are part of why there is only stereo sound and no input.