ALC861-vd (ALC862) on Nforce 405

with Apple azalia kext sound control right left all ok

Sound out ok

Sound-in?

Microphone or Line-in Pls help.

layout edit pathmap edit * info pls.

******notes******

new862 working %50 volume control not working mic.line-in not working

862installer taruga1 not working *(soundout-sound-in)

8662installer taruga2 not working* (soundout-sound-in)

Does anyone else here have the ALC862 chip? FXtreme I would like to try your edited AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. I have a Lenovo N200 0769AVU. I have a solution that uses the AppleHDA.kext from mactux except I have no volume control.

I have tried to edit Azalia myself and could not seem to get it to work but I did not try that hard as the AppleHDA solution seems to work for the most part. I would like anyone who has gotten this Azalia fix to work on a ALC862 especially if you have a lenovo laptop to PM me there AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. I would like to give it a try and see what if anything I can get out of it.

THANKS ALL

Hi,

I want to get my Vendor ID & Device ID of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio in Windows Vista..

But Vista has UAA implemented.. so there is no UAA device, so I can't check the vendor & device ID..

Does someone know how to get these ID's in either Vista or Leopard?

Grts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, first off thanks for the guide, I'm sure it has helped loads of people so far.

Unfortunately, I am not one of them ;)

I have a 85% functional JaS 10.4.8 install on my ASUS F3JC, which has a Realtek ALC861 card, which, despite searching, doesn't seem to have much compatability with 10.4.8

So I followed your guide, editing the kexts via terminal in steps 1 and 2, but then in step 3, I repaird permissions through DiskUtility, and then entered the next three lines into terminal, with nothing happening on screen after every time I hit enter.

Is that correct?

I also dont think there was an AppleHDA.kext in my extensions till I put one there manually using Pacifist.

Any help would be appreciated. Needless to say, I cant get sound.

andy

ps. would it be best to upgrade to 10.4.11 and then retry? if so, can i do this using the official combined intel software update??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i ve installer kalyway 10.5.2 updated to .5.3 by combo and then .5.4 by soft update by net. my sound device is realtek alc 882. i m not getin any input. how can i get 5.1 sound and mic input working.

another thing is, though it is not the place, why cannt i log in to taruga?

always showing server is busy.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am running Kalyway 10.5.2 i have several problems but i am looking to fix the audio first i have a ECS motherboard the PA1MVP it has the ACL880 8-channel audio built in on the board... i have no audio at all... it doesn't recognize it at all, when looking under system preferences at the sound, under sound effects the text is all gray... it displays the mute boton checked... under output it desplays "no output devices found"... under Input it desplays simaler "No input devices found"

this may be the problem ---> when installing i clicked on all the auidio drivers, i thought it wouldent hurt to have more... (i wasnt woried about the space)

if this would or would not be the problem please let me know...

if there is another driver i need to download and dump into a system file or some thing please provide a link...

thanks for any and all the help you can give...

i'm new at this, this is my 3rd build so if it is obvious to you please be nice... lol (i guess i'm just not as smart)

• 2 weeks later...
upon closer inspection and further reading of different posts all scattered around the forum it turns out that would your enter under IOPCIPrimaryMatch, is entirely different depending on what type of motherboard you have.

I tried this on a Intel915 mobo and still no good. According to the user manual, I've got a ALC860 and my strings are 0x10ec0880 (no change) and 0x26688086

I repaired permissions, rebooted, no error messages but still "no built-in audio" :P

• 2 months later...

I followed the instructions and used the codes:

<string>0x80860882</string>

for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID

and:

<string>0x293e8086</string>

for IOPCIPrimaryMatch

since I dont have XP or vista installed I used OSX86Tools and used the PCI Device/Vendor ID tool.

Now I can see "HD Audio Output" under System Preferences/Sound but I have no sound.

I'm using a Asus laptop M50VM-A1 with Integrated Intel High Definition Audio chip (Azalia).

Anyone had the same problem as me and found a solution?

Thank you

EDIT: here's the line i got from lspci tool:

00:1b.0 Audio Device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)

• 2 weeks later...

I have Lenovo 3000 N100. Have tried this walkthrough. No results. No sound. Can anybody help me? This is madness - browsing internet and Skype with no sound (camera also doesnt work,but this is not the proper topic f. it)

My data:

1. ven. 11D4

2. dev. 1986

3. ven. 8086

4. dev. 27D8

Running Leopard 10.5.6 with Vanilla kernel 9.6

Hello? ANY heeeeeeelp !??

Look below to see my specs. Working with alc882 audio

I had been having a hell of a time to get my sound to work with the update. The icon disappeared in the menu bar. I just went to reinstall the kext files. Icons reappeared but no sound. I patched the files yet no sound.

I could tell that the patches worked because the speakers would make a noise on boot up and shut down. I could see it offered line in, mic in, etc. but no line out. Then it occurred to me, put my speaker jack into my mic.

For whatever reason, the 10.5.6 update reversed my audio input and output.

• 5 weeks later...

A question from a new user. I have installed the iatkos v5i on my lenovo 3000 laptop with the realtek ALC861 audio.

I've installed the appleazalia pack and in system preferences seems to be an HD audio output but no sound. Iwant to follow the instructions but I think I'm not doing something right. And here comes the newby question:

When you refer to the terminal is the one under Applications - Utilities? I tried to type the code there but with the "sudo pico" part I receive nothing. The answer is:

-----------

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

-------------

I enter the password and nothing happens. What am I not doing right?

Thanks for the help. I really need it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Edit: The following guide is for getting ALC882 sound out working. The process may work with any ALC8xx chipset with a few changes. See the Appendix at the end of the guide for how to make those changes.

The Guide

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it (with some modifications):

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

1) Backup AppleHDA.kext:

In Terminal, type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo mkdir audio_backup
sudo mv AppleHDA.kext audio_backup/

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type:

Search for
IOHDAudioCodecVendorID
(press
Ctrl + W
)

Find:
<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0880</string>

Change <string>0x10ec088
</string> -- to -- <string>0x10ec088
</string>

Exit pico: press
Ctrl + O
to save and then
Ctrl + X
to exit
In Terminal, type:
sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for
IOPCIPrimaryMatch
(press
Ctrl + W
)

Find:
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0x
NNNN
8086</string> -- to -- <string>0x
27d8
8086</string>

(
note
: for ALC882, the string is probably correct without any edit)

Ctrl + O
to save and then
Ctrl + X
to exit

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

Appendix

The following information might help you get your ALC8xx sound out working. The strings that are replaced in the guide above are for Realtek ALC882 only. For other versions of ALC8xx sound or if you are having trouble getting ALC882 sound working, we need to determine the vendor and device ids of the audio device and the audio hub. There are no guarantees that this will get your sound working, but I am pretty sure this also works for ALC880, ALC888, ALC861 and maybe others.

To do this, go into Windows, then go to Device Manager:

Step A. Under "Sound, video and game controllers", select "Realtek High Definition Audio". Get Properties and then click on the Detail tab. Record the vendor and device ids.

As an example, in this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "10EC" and device = "0882"

post-38728-1156607641_thumb.jpg

Step B. Under "System devices", find "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio" and also get the vendor and device ids.

In this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "8086" and device = "27D8"

post-38728-1156607700_thumb.jpg

Now, using The Guide above, substitute the following:

Instead of the string "0x10ec0882", use a new string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step A. above.

It should be of the form 0x + (vendor id) + (device id). Like: 0x + 10ec + 0882 = 0x10ec0882

Instead of the string "0x27d88086", use a string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step B. above.

However, it should be of the form 0x + (device id) + (vendor id).

Note that this is backwards from the previous string.

Ok in one of your other both you said people have had sucess using soundmax 1981 could someplz send me a email @ tonkscarter@aol.com explaining waht i need to do with this? also if its the same way could someone plz tell me the vendor ID which i think is 1981 and the other plz?

• 2 months later...

I am really really tired of looking for the drivers...in 10.5.2 it worked within a second...when i go on to 10.5.7...THERE IS JUST NO SOUND...WTF????

anyways my sys specs.

Intel MOBO DG31PR ALC888 soundcard A N D Creative Sound balster LIVE Value 5.1..i dont mind if either of them WORK....BUT THEY SHOULD WORK!!!

the funny part is there is this user Jefferson 136 who posted this Archive.zip kexts...

THEY ****IN WORKED ONLY FOR ONE BOOT...THE NEXT TIME I LOGGED IN....THE KEXTS WERE ****IN gone...THIS IS JUST BIZZARE!!!

Edit: The following guide is for getting ALC882 sound out working. The process may work with any ALC8xx chipset with a few changes. See the Appendix at the end of the guide for how to make those changes.

The Guide

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it (with some modifications):

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

1) Backup AppleHDA.kext:

In Terminal, type:
sudo mkdir audio_backup
sudo mv AppleHDA.kext audio_backup/

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type:

Search for
IOHDAudioCodecVendorID
(press
Ctrl + W
)

Find:
<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0880</string>

Change <string>0x10ec088
</string> -- to -- <string>0x10ec088
</string>

Ctrl + O
to save and then
Ctrl + X
to exit
In Terminal, type:
sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for
IOPCIPrimaryMatch
(press
Ctrl + W
)

Find:
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0x
NNNN
8086</string> -- to -- <string>0x
27d8
8086</string>

(
note
: for ALC882, the string is probably correct without any edit)

Ctrl + O
to save and then
Ctrl + X
to exit

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
cd /System/Library
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

Appendix

The following information might help you get your ALC8xx sound out working. The strings that are replaced in the guide above are for Realtek ALC882 only. For other versions of ALC8xx sound or if you are having trouble getting ALC882 sound working, we need to determine the vendor and device ids of the audio device and the audio hub. There are no guarantees that this will get your sound working, but I am pretty sure this also works for ALC880, ALC888, ALC861 and maybe others.

To do this, go into Windows, then go to Device Manager:

Step A. Under "Sound, video and game controllers", select "Realtek High Definition Audio". Get Properties and then click on the Detail tab. Record the vendor and device ids.

As an example, in this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "10EC" and device = "0882"

post-38728-1156607641_thumb.jpg

Step B. Under "System devices", find "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio" and also get the vendor and device ids.

In this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "8086" and device = "27D8"

post-38728-1156607700_thumb.jpg

Now, using The Guide above, substitute the following:

Instead of the string "0x10ec0882", use a new string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step A. above.

It should be of the form 0x + (vendor id) + (device id). Like: 0x + 10ec + 0882 = 0x10ec0882

Instead of the string "0x27d88086", use a string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step B. above.

However, it should be of the form 0x + (device id) + (vendor id).

Note that this is backwards from the previous string.

• 1 month later...

I tried everything to get my ALC888 to work in 10.5.7 including all the various ways to patch AppleHDA. The only way I could get audio was to unload AppleHDA and HDAEnabler and then install the latest VoodooHDA (0.2.2). As soon as I did that, I got HD audio. Still can't get surround sound, only stereo. Still better than no sound at all.