Dell Adds 'Apple OS X' Driver Download Section

76 posts in this topic

Why would they need to sell OS X for Intel machines if they come with it pre-loaded?

Someone could ghost it if they really wanted to. Then they could distribute it through bit torrent, and everyone would have it.

The point is, AMD’s architecture for SMP is superior to Intel’s offerings. Over 2 sockets, Intel’s platform starts to hit a brick wall, performance wise. AMD’s Opteron scales well up to 8 socket, and beyond. It's not a matter of how many CPUs you can cram on the platform, but how efficient that platform is with those CPUs.

As I said, that is with the current generation of Intel CPUs. I am not contesting the that the current generation of Opterons will smoke any Intel solution today especially in the multi processor role. I am simply saying that Intel's future looks brighter than it used to (with the 5xx series Prescott for example)

The fact the Steve Jobs let HP put their name on an Apple iPod, suggests to me that he is open to licensing OS X and it is Steve Jobs who I suspect would be the real barrier within Apple to doing this.

This means it is inevitable, money is a strong force.

This certainly is not true. They could force licensees to use the same specific hardware set which Apple uses.

I dont think it will happen for a while. Apple is unique in the fact that only intel macs can dualboot Windows XP and OS X with full hardware compatibility. Also, if Apple decides to enter the PC market, Microsoft will probably interpret it (it may or may not be) as a challenge to their near monopoly on the market. If that happens, Microsoft could probably start pulling support for its OS X products and might build features into Windows that would make it difficult to dual-boot (maybe...). Not to mention, if Apple expands its market share, chances are that it will be targeted my more hackers and that would probalby challenge its reputation as being a secure OS.

I think we have already established that these are merely OS X drivers for Dell printers.

indeed, must have gotten all caught up in that amd sub-thread of this forum...

From the looks of the "Compatibility" chart, they are printer drivers for Dell systems running Os X... too bad my Dell is not "supported" ;)

So I guess Dell is running Os X on thier systems eh? Wonder how they managed that...

indeed, must have gotten all caught up in that amd sub-thread of this forum...

From the looks of the "Compatibility" chart, they are printer drivers for Dell systems running Os X... too bad my Dell is not "supported" ;)

So I guess Dell is running Os X on thier systems eh? Wonder how they managed that...

...yeah. Exactly. Its not like they have on the printer driver page, "OS X" driver. They have it for the latitude running OS X. That is a very interesting point.

...yeah. Exactly. Its not like they have on the printer driver page, "OS X" driver. They have it for the latitude running OS X. That is a very interesting point.

yeah this is getting pretty scary... (I apologize if way to obvious)

if you go to the page that describes the driver, scroll down to the "Compatibility" section (at the bottom of page, follow the link and you'll see this:

"The file is compatible with the following systems running the following operating systems:

Systems

Dimension 1100/B110

Dimension 3100/E310

Dimension 5150/E510

Inspiron E1405/640M

Inspiron 9400/E1705

Inspiron 710m

Inspiron 1300/B130

Inspiron 6400/E1505

Latitude D400

Latitude D410

Latitude D610

Latitude 110L

Latitude 120L

Latitude D510

Latitude D620

Latitude D810

Latitude D820

Dell Precision WorkStation 380

Dell Precision WorkStation M65

Dell Precision WorkStation M70

Dell Precision WorkStation M90

Latitude X1

OptiPlex GX520

OptiPlex GX620

OptiPlex 210L

Printer 1815dn

Dell Precision WorkStation M20

Dell Precision WorkStation 470

Dell Precision WorkStation 670

XPS/Dimension 200/5150C

XPS/Dimension 400/9150

XPS/Inspiron M140/630m

XPS/Inspiron M170

XPS M1710

XPS/Dimension 600

Operating systems

Apple Mac OS"

This can only mean one thing... lets recap...

*apple switches to intel (not for better computers for thier customers, but so they can start really pumping them out, imho)

*Mr Dell himself states he would like to offer Mac Os X to Dell customers.

*apple pushes resources at gaming on the mac platform

*dell buys alienware

*dell releases drivers for dell branded computers, running "Apple Mac Os"

To bad, all this spells the end of high end boutique systems (for gaming or design, not that I could afford them anyway, but I'd be sad to see Ferari start making hatchbacks all the same)

i dont think they want to turn out like microsoft, and start to have the quality of their products go down.

This is really the test for Apple in the near future isn't it? Has switching to Intel improved the product? How much will Apple trade in for market share? Power to the shareholders!! heeheehee

I wonder if anyone is going to produce PC's based on the Cell or other future Power procs from IBM(and others). Doubt it'd be mainstream, x86 has that nailed shut, but sure would be cool to drool over!!

Lets see here, boot camp+EFI firmware with BIOS emulation+965 chipset+core 2+WWDC. Makes a person wonder. I have a feeling Steve will be having Michael Dell jump through hoops on stage in august.

This is really the test for Apple in the near future isn't it? Has switching to Intel improved the product? How much will Apple trade in for market share? Power to the shareholders!! heeheehee

They don't have to trade anything and all the PC makers would have to trade is a few relics like windows, BIOS, and legacy tech.

amd's quad-cores are going to be true quad-core where as intel ones are 2 duel-cores linked by a fsb to each other.

If im not mistaken, Intel is also releasing "true" quad-cores (4 cores on one chip)