[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

I can confirm this guide works like a charm on a GA-EP35C-DS3R.

My only problem is PCI wifi card is not being picked up at all.

It is an Asus WL-130N with Ralink RT2860 chipset.

I downloaded the drivers and installed but I don't know why it can't seem to detect the card at all.

Any ideas or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I can confirm this guide works like a charm on a GA-EP35C-DS3R.

My only problem is PCI wifi card is not being picked up at all.

It is an Asus WL-130N with Ralink RT2860 chipset.

I downloaded the drivers and installed but I don't know why it can't seem to detect the card at all.

Any ideas or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Did you try to move it to an other PCI port (cf former posts) ?

Cheers,

-The Dude

I'm happy to report a SUCCESSFUL dual boot of Win7 RTM OEM and OSX 10.6.1 on this board on a SINGLE drive!... Just going for a 3rd install to make sure I have my procedure perfected and stable!.

I just want to personally applaud Tseug for his guide AND support of everyone (as well as the other users of this board helping others). I specifically bought this motherboard for it's compatibility, BUT some of the posts here have made it so absurdly easy!... I'm aiming to bring the same level of competence of a Dual-Boot how-to to you guys! <3

Congrats, kludgedean, and looking forward to your guide -

Nailed it pretty easily now, Just trying to make it a bit more 'vanilla'. The current procedure involves a pre-installation (working) of snow leopard, using disk utilitiy within that, formatting the drive in 2 (or more) partitions, in MBR paritition table, (1st partition Win7, 2nd OSX10.6), install win7 first, then boot into existing Snow Leopard installation and do the "OSInstall.mpkg" method.

I'm trying to make a bootable 'vanilla' DVD thats every bit as normal as the original, just with the modified OSInstall.mpkg there instead of the original!

Problem is the installer doesn't seem to invoke the OSInstall.mpkg at all =/ Googling about to see if i can find the correct command (within Snow Leopard installation phase) to invoke the /volumes/Mac OSX DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Doing an installation from within said existing Snow Leopard works fine!. Just want (ideally) a BootDVD that just won't complain about MBR installations, and being booted from the given Boot132 disc in this very thread!

My info to share on wireless networking:

I have an Atheros ar5212 chipset TPlink 651g card - here is a copy/paste of a post I made in the Atheros wireless thread....

After hours of googling, in an unrelated wireless thread on another board, I found a post from PCWiz suggesting that for wireless to work in SL, the card had to be in PCI slot #2. I moved the card over and straight away it worked(ish!)....

...I already had a modified SL Atheros kext in /S/L/E, which had all the other card ID's removed (as we have had to do for 10.5 to work). I replaced this with the original SL kext and rebooted. Couldnt turn AirPort on. Clicking ON didn't do anything. Went back to my modified kext and it was working again - slightly different results to F-Didi...

Problem is that, after about 2 minutes, my connection dies. Network utility lists Recv errors counting up 2 or 3 per second until I turn airport off. Can turn it on again and get another 2 minutes (repeat, repeat etc). Noticed this in console:

Sep 26 15:13:11 juuvas-s-Mac-Pro mDNSResponder[38]: Note: RegisterInterface: Frequent transitions for interface en0 (192.168.1.7); network traffic reduction measures in effect

Perfectly working SL for a couple of weeks now, but cant stay on the net.

@ consolation - are you still rocking an Atheros wifi card mate?

I have updated to 10.6.1 - no change. I have disabled Bounjour announce as suggested in some other posts around on other OSX86 blogs etc - no joy. Sometimes AP stays up for half an hour - no predictable pattern before it cuts out though.

There are A LOT of genuine mac users with wifi issues since SL. Do a google, but instead of entering in 'hackintosh' or 'osx86' like you normally would, leave them out. Plenty of aoole.com threads on it. Some people have joy in deleting all network related files and making a new location and it works - not here.

Still searching for the answers...

UPDATE:

Fixed my particular issue..

Delete:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Reboot

Open network preferences, and create a new location (this is important). I just called it the default untitled.

Re enter all wireless info.

Works on 10.6.1

Installed last night from same HD (restore partiition method) using DSDT and all is fine on my GA-P35-DS3R (had to check PEG for GFX)

One question though that I've not had time to test is that audio jacks show up in system profiler but no output devices are seen in the sounds part of the Sys Prefs? I am assuming I haven't got the right kext in yet as I did select my audio (889a) when building DSDT. Any particular suggestions.

Apart from that all is good and thanks very much for the guide. :rolleyes:

Nailed it pretty easily now, Just trying to make it a bit more 'vanilla'. The current procedure involves a pre-installation (working) of snow leopard, using disk utilitiy within that, formatting the drive in 2 (or more) partitions, in MBR paritition table, (1st partition Win7, 2nd OSX10.6), install win7 first, then boot into existing Snow Leopard installation and do the "OSInstall.mpkg" method.

I'm trying to make a bootable 'vanilla' DVD thats every bit as normal as the original, just with the modified OSInstall.mpkg there instead of the original!

Problem is the installer doesn't seem to invoke the OSInstall.mpkg at all =/ Googling about to see if i can find the correct command (within Snow Leopard installation phase) to invoke the /volumes/Mac OSX DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Doing an installation from within said existing Snow Leopard works fine!. Just want (ideally) a BootDVD that just won't complain about MBR installations, and being booted from the given Boot132 disc in this very thread!

i am looking forward to your tutorial.

Just one question, win7 makes an additional hidden partition (i think 1gi in size). does ur installation take into account for that? i know that partition is not mandatory but i think it is recommended.

i am going to try it on my ga-p35-ds3r for you. :P

thx!

After using the Snow Pack Installer, I still have to boot to the Chameleon CD every time I restart, then select my 10.6 drive - if I take the Chameleon CD out and try to just boot from the HD, my boot up sits at PCI Devices Listing indefinitely.

Did I miss a step in the guide or something?

Just realised that everytime I reboto I'm getting the CMOS checksum error though I can't find what I've done wrong.

Compile DSDT as per guide, installed extra kexts (inc audio) and Cham and all is working apart from that.

Have 2 HD + BR drive on yellow ports and one on purple port

First let me thank you for this great guide which worked quite well so far on my P35-DS4, Q6600, GTS8600.

Just the sleep-mode is still making problems. When I try to activate it, the computer shuts down, but I cannot wake it up again by keyboard (which seems to be a common problem) and using the power-button it behaves like i had shut it down before, so it's a clean reboot.

Also the spindown for my harddisk does not seem to work.

Any Ideas about that? I tried a different DSDT but still no improvement. It probably should have something to do with the SleepEnabler.kext which is definitly present. Can I assure somehow that it is loaded?

I have just tried to repair permissions for the first time since install today. Something is wrong. It just flashes up repair or verify complete as soon as I click it. The drive doesn't even make a noise. No error either.

Normally It takes a few seconds to read the drive and I would expect a few entries to appear.

Disk utility seems to work ok.

Have any of you experienced this?

Btw, I found out that FONT smoothing on LCD screens could be improved with this command

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

run it in the terminal.

This helped for my dual dvi Dell LCD screens, definitely less jaggedy. Here's some discussion on the command over at ArsTechnica.

Hi, I have installed this with successful. However, when I transferred information from my leopard 10.5.8 using migration assistant (time machine), somehow the sounds has gone! Tried to install alc889a kext but no luck. Is there any other way to install the sound? My MB is GA-P35-DS3.

Thanks.

Hi, I have installed this with successful. However, when I transferred information from my leopard 10.5.8 using migration assistant (time machine), somehow the sounds has gone! Tried to install alc889a kext but no luck. Is there any other way to install the sound? My MB is GA-P35-DS3.

Thanks.

Read the previous posts carefully (the first one, the guide) , it has been explained by Tseug how to solve this issue.

Please read the posts ...it helps !

-The dude

Well, it says No such file or directory.

Why should it be located in /System/Library/Extensions/? I thought the script copies it to /Extras/Extensions?

In which case, my bad ( I just borrowed that commandline and tailored it slightly to the kext name, Your initiative should've said to just change the commandline again to suit your needs ;) )

sudo kextutil -v /Extras/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

@ Build

I have just tried to repair permissions for the first time since install today. Something is wrong. It just flashes up repair or verify complete as soon as I click it. The drive doesn't even make a noise. No error either.

Normally It takes a few seconds to read the drive and I would expect a few entries to appear.

Disk utility seems to work ok.

Have any of you experienced this?

That sounds to me like you done a 'dirty' MBR install, and if so, then to get permissions/disk utility to work as intended, you will need to re-install the BSD.pkg from the .dmg (or DVDR)

THANKS A LOT!!!!

I Installed it on GA-P35-DQ6, CPU e8600 from intel, 4gb ram (sound 889 and wireless broadcom 4thousand something) with with no problem following your guide. I just used the little install package you provided, did not do any DSDT {censored} patching or anything like that. It did not work from the first time cause I had a really old GeForce 7100 GS which I found imposible to install. I am not a big gammer, I just bought a graphics card from the Apple store, pluged in and works perfect. The card is GeForce 120 (9500GT 512MB) recommand for everybody with graphics issues, it costs 158 including taxes. I am also waiting for a 9500 GT from newegg which is $100 cheaper, if it works I will probably return the one from Apple.

Updated to 10.6.1 without any problem!

Thanks Thanks Thanks :star_smile:

In which case, my bad ( I just borrowed that commandline and tailored it slightly to the kext name, Your initiative should've said to just change the commandline again to suit your needs :rolleyes: )

sudo kextutil -v /Extras/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

yah, I guessed so. Didn't help though. First, there were broken file permissions which I repaired by now. Retyping the command says it's succesfully loaded, but sleep still doesn't work.

@ Build

That sounds to me like you done a 'dirty' MBR install, and if so, then to get permissions/disk utility to work as intended, you will need to re-install the BSD.pkg from the .dmg (or DVDR)

Yeah not sure what happened there, it was definitely GUID? I've done a reinstall today and everything went ok. It's now working.

However I have noticed that only the boot file is not hidden. All the other files are hidden/displayed correctly.

So to clarify the root of the drive displays

Applications

boot (should be hidden?)

Extra

Library

System

Users

Is there a way to hide just the boot file that won't make it unbootable?

Yeah not sure what happened there, it was definitely GUID? I've done a reinstall today and everything went ok. It's now working.

However I have noticed that only the boot file is not hidden. All the other files are hidden/displayed correctly.

So to clarify the root of the drive displays

Applications

boot (should be hidden?)

Extra

Library

System

Users

Is there a way to hide just the boot file that won't make it unbootable?

I believe in quite a few packs about theres a "Show/Hide" files application, Although hiding the boot file isn't necessary, it's probably a good idea to not accidently delete it =]

Here's a quick link with what you're looking for http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjm25z4icdk

( Borrowed from an excellent tutorial on youtube detailing how to install Snow Leopard on a PC )

yah, I guessed so. Didn't help though. First, there were broken file permissions which I repaired by now. Retyping the command says it's succesfully loaded, but sleep still doesn't work.

Try pmset -a autorestart 1 in a terminal

I believe in quite a few packs about theres a "Show/Hide" files application, Although hiding the boot file isn't necessary, it's probably a good idea to not accidently delete it =]

Here's a quick link with what you're looking for http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjm25z4icdk

( Borrowed from an excellent tutorial on youtube detailing how to install Snow Leopard on a PC )

Thanks, but that app just shows/hides the already hidden files. How can I change a single file so it is hidden?

Is there a terminal command?