Boot132 cdboot for Snow Leopard

trus0und

181 posts in this topic

thanks all for the hard work.

i am able to boot off the cd works good.

once i boot off of the retail 10.6 in verbose after some lines i get the "waiting for root device"

its states a certain "UUID" do i need to add this UUID to My guid patitioned HD. thanks....

post-268543-1252267401_thumb.jpg

remove the platformUUID.kext

thanks for the fast reply..

have already done that still get the same

"waiting for root device"

You can re-add the platformUUID.kext with your own string in it but you are probably missing kexts needed to boot your sata/AHCI/IDE drives

Hey noob776,

I noticed a ramdisk error when chameleon was loading preboot.dmg. What does it mean?

I am using a Dell Precision 390 with an ICH7Family. I am really frustrated with this AppleIntelPIIATA kernel panic. I never received this with Leopard. My ATA and SATA drives worked flawlessly without having to load any kext for them. What do I need to do step-by-step to fix this AppleIntelPIIATA kernel panic?

I am used to manually loading kext, assigning the correct permissions and ownership, etc. I don't use GUI tools and only use the command line. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I've been using setting up hacks for two years now, but thisAppleIntelPIIATA.kext has me stumped. I've tried using Netkas fix for this issue but it won't work. I've entered the following inside the info.plist of the AppleIntelPIIATA.kext:

key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27c08086 0x27c18086 0x27c38086</string>

Nothing is working.

I must be missing something simple. Help... :+(

What kexts to I need to load to resolve this issue? BTW: I don't use dsdt.aml.

check the guide in my signature, download the appleintelpiixata.kext with dev id's.

also try AHCIPortInjector.kext

set up you bios for sata mode

I've been out of the loop for a while (last install was Leo4All v3 ;)), but I'd like to give this a try. The one question I have at the moment is: Despite having an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Intel chip set, I haven't been able to boot a vanilla kernel, is that likely to change with SL? If not is there a modified kernel for SL out yet?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm still studying up on new (to me) developments like EFI strings, but I'll let you know how things go.

I've been out of the loop for a while (last install was Leo4All v3 ;)), but I'd like to give this a try. The one question I have at the moment is: Despite having an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Intel chip set, I haven't been able to boot a vanilla kernel, is that likely to change with SL? If not is there a modified kernel for SL out yet?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm still studying up on new (to me) developments like EFI strings, but I'll let you know how things go.

Check in the #snowleopard IRC channel. The topic has links for the modbin mach_kernel.432

nice job better then kdetech, but my dsdt doesn't get loaded so i get the hpet kp, nor does the nullcpu kext, any idea?

Well you could just take the files from FlashGX's release and put it on a USB-stick.

1. prepair it with 'Booth Think' (search)

2. Take the .kext files from FlashGX and put it into /darwin/SLE

3. place your dsdt in the /darwin folder, also the mach_kernel

4. Unlike Chameleon, 'Boot Think' will detect your DVD drive from USB after hitting F8 and typing #p=+ at the command line. Press enter and reboot again.

5. Now you have a DVD :) Select it and if you want hit F8 and add some bootflags like -x32 etc.

Hope that will work for you. (My problem here atm is that I need the dsdt because my Nvidia just got bonkers and so I have to take this WTF?! :blink: Intel gma-Onboard {censored} that doesn't support EFI strings. :thumbsdown_anim::) )

btw @FlashGX thanks for Snow132, very much appreciated.

Hi everyone that has replied so far, thanks for the support on this, im glad its working for the majority of the crowd. You have to remember that there maybe issues with this as this is by no emans an official chameleon release, and there are probably bugs in it that thyre working out. the disk is definately working on gigabyte boards. Im on an EP45-DS3 and it got me to the installer first time i used it. Ill try to help figure out a solution.

flash

I have a retail SnowLeo installer on my 8Gb USB stick that works and has installed the system I am using now. So, I know I have a working combination of kext and modbin kernel for my system. Still, having a working preboot cd would be a good fall back just in case.

I have tried every combination I can think of and so far, none has been able to locate the kernel at boot time. I double checked the istructions in the first post and am reasonably sure I am doing the boot sequence correctly.

One thing I noticed is that when the preboot cd starts, prior to the chameleon logo, there is an error message stating that the ram disk has no partitions. This makes me think that the reason the kernel is not found is that the ram disk was never loaded.

Is that reasonable? If so, any idea why this may be happening and/or how to correct it?

Well thats what i thought to begin with, but it loads all my kexts which are in the preboot.dmg, so it must be loading.

OK! Let's explore another area. I had to add kext that you didn't have. So, maybe I did that wrong.

I mounted the Preboot.dmg and used disk utility to make a read/write new image of it. Then, I copied my extra kext to the read/write version of Preboot.dmg and used disk utility to make a new, compressed dmg file. I erased your original Preboot.dmg and replaced it with the one I had just created.

Any mistakes there?

OK! Let's explore another area. I had to add kext that you didn't have. So, maybe I did that wrong.

I mounted the Preboot.dmg and used disk utility to make a read/write new image of it. Then, I copied my extra kext to the read/write version of Preboot.dmg and used disk utility to make a new, compressed dmg file. I erased your original Preboot.dmg and replaced it with the one I had just created.

Any mistakes there?

After adding the kexts you should have sudo chmod -R 755 and sudo chown -R root:wheel the Extensions folder innit.

thanks all for the hard work.

i am able to boot off the cd works good.

once i boot off of the retail 10.6 in verbose after some lines i get the "waiting for root device"

its states a certain "UUID" do i need to add this UUID to My guid patitioned HD. thanks....

post-268543-1252267401_thumb.jpg

My install DVD halts at the exact same screen, please update the thread if you find a solution.

I have resolved the issue with using a kernel other than the vanilla kernel and also the problem related to creating a new Preboot.dmg archive.

The preboot cd boots and loads the ram disk. I see only one error message about no ramdisk config file. That does not appear to be a real issue.

At the Chameleon prompt I switched the disks as instructed by the guide in the first post and pressed F5. The OS X Install DVD appeared on the display as the selected system. I pressed Enter and the DVD booted to the Language selection and on to the installer screen.

Thanks very much to flashGX for making this package available.

First the issue of creating a new Preboot.dmg file. I am describing the steps required in case anyone else has the need to create a new Preboot.dmg from scratch.

1. Open the GUI Disk Utility. Be sure that no partitions in the left pane are selected.
  2. Select -> New Image on the disk utility options. It defaults to a single partition 100Mb read/write image with all the correct options. Change the size if you wish and save the image as Preboot.dmg
  3. When disk utility finishes creating the image it will mount it. You can now exit disk utility.
  4. Right click the Preboot volume on you desktop and select "get info".
  5. In the Get Info panel, click the lock in the lower right corner. Enter you password when prompted and then un-check the "Ignore Ownership" box.
  6. At this point, you can populate your Preboot.dmg as desired. When you have finished with the content of the Preboot.dmg file, use it to replace the one in the cdboot package.

To use a modified kernel, place it in the Preboot.dmg at the same level as the Extra folder. Then, in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Preboot/Extra folder change the Kernel name value like the example below.

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>rd(0,0)/mach_kernel.432</string>

the image below sows the configuration I used on my CD.

post-51049-1252338485_thumb.jpg

I hope this information is useful to some.

the disk is definately working on gigabyte boards. Im on an EP45-DS3 and it got me to the installer first time i used it. Ill try to help figure out a solution.

flash

Same odd thing happens with my boot 132 snow! Yet I succeeded modding for ASUS. I wonder what's the problem

@flashgx How did you make this work without DSDT?

I have used the same mach_kernel metioned above (modbin's 432) at the same level of Extra folder.

The created CD boots fine, I press F8 to go to the drive selection, than press F5 to refresh the list, so the MAC OS INSTALL DVD is shown after I change the discs (I wasn't able to swap the discs during the process, before it boots, so I need to press F8, is that an issue?)

But when I try to boot the Install DVD I get these messages:

HFS signature Not Present

Can't Find mach_kernel

Any hints?!

I have used the same mach_kernel metioned above (modbin's 432) at the same level of Extra folder.

The created CD boots fine, I press F8 to go to the drive selection, than press F5 to refresh the list, so the MAC OS INSTALL DVD is shown after I change the discs (I wasn't able to swap the discs during the process, before it boots, so I need to press F8, is that an issue?)

But when I try to boot the Install DVD I get these messages:

HFS signature Not Present

Can't Find mach_kernel

Any hints?!

If you put

<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>

You won't need to press F8 to get to the menu.

and if you put

<key>Kernel</key>

in the com.apple.Boot.plist that is inside Preboot/Extra it should locate your kernel more easily.

I have no idea about the HFS signature message.

If you put

<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>

You won't need to press F8 to get to the menu.

and if you put

<key>Kernel</key>

in the com.apple.Boot.plist that is inside Preboot/Extra it should locate your kernel more easily.

I have no idea about the HFS signature message.

Thanks!

Before seeing your message I decided to be more conservative when editing the com.apple.boot.plist file and only made minimal changes.

Also decided to let the SMBIOS file there.

I got to the installer. Can use both, HD restored Image or SL Retail's DVD.

As said before, there are some eBios messages and as I didn't got it earlier, when not using the SMBIOS file, it is releated to it.

I did what you said about the kernel flag and now is better. I think may be the same answer to solve why we can see that the verbose mode indicates that it is not possible to find the SMBIOS replacement.

Thank you all.

So after 5 pages, can this load a DSDT or not?

Thanks,

-Stell

In my opinion it is loading, but to be completely sure, how can I check it?

Hi there,

still not getting the snow kitty running...

DELL XPS 1330M / ICH8 / NV8400M GS

posted already in the other threat referring to the 3 generic methods. I'd like to boot SL retail DVD via boot cd (the one with isolinux stuff doesn't let me choose Install DVD in chameleon).

So I was all the time using this one... but getting kernel panics due to some appleintelPIIXATA.kext problem (IOATA-/IOPCI-Family)

post-485418-1252353978_thumb.jpg

post-485418-1252353986_thumb.jpg

Tried switching HD modes in bios, using AHCIPortInjector.kext, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from netkas, that should run better with Notebooks... but still can not bott SL DVD....

Any ideas?

Someone out there with ICH8 Chipset and a running kitty?