Snow Leopard on Bad Axe 2

MacGuy42

231 posts in this topic

So far my BadAxe2 system has been running SL 99% without drama for days now. The only question marks that remain are onboard audio and the 2nd set of Marvell SATA ports, which I'm still chipping away at. None of the old kext tricks seem to unlock these two features which were fully operational under 10.5.8

I'm thinking this may be a sign from god that it's time to go pro and buy an external audio card, preferably firewire. You're supposed to go with external audio as a matter of course when doing pro media work, but the BadAxe2's Intel audio has always worked so well that I've leaned on it with all the pro apps at my disposal and never had a problem or unhappy client. But if I can't get onboard audio working by week's end, I'm getting an E-Mu, @%#4 it, life's too short. As for the Marvell SATA ports, not that big a deal if they never come alive under Snow, but it would be nice to know everything on this venerable board is working 100% on 10.6.

FWIW I put Snow on a $50 Gigabyte G31M-ES2L board today and everything works 100%, audio, ethernet, sleep, restart, the works. If that cheap little Gigabyte can run Snow perfectly, surely the Badaxe2 can.

I had working sound (until a sleep) when Booting 10.6 using Chameleon RC1 + Boot v10.1 + VoodooHDA, now I'm using Chameleon RC3 and 10.6.1, sound does not work anymore (at all).

I tried the Taruga's patcher and VoodooHDA.

I think the upgrade to Chameleon RC3 caused this, but it could have been the 10.6.1 I don't really know.

Has anybody a working sound solution (which survives a sleep)?

FYI - I have attempted a fix for the panic caused by AppleIntelPIIXATA, see this thread for details. Using the patched kext I can access my PATA drives on a BadAxe 1 with no panics, I'd be interested to see if it works for BadAxe 2 users too.

this patch works on my xbx2 board, means my pata dvd drive works!

Thanks for the info!!

I was able to boot with ide mode using the patch from this thread.

I was also able to remove AHCIPortInjector.kext, ATAPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

I have only tried in 32 bit mode as the natit kext my nvidia 7600gt requires is 32 bit.

This is all in chameleon RC1 Extra/Extensions folder using PC EFI 10.1

If you go backwards in this thread, I posted a lengthy and thorough guide to installing SL on BadAxe2. Everything works so far except onboard audio and the 2nd set of SATA ports.

Anyone know of the best way to install with a guide?

I now understand that the KP i get when trying to boot from my DVD install partition is caused by AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from IOATAFamily.kext

Does anyone have any more info regarding the best way to install on a bad axe 2?

Hey! wicked so you got it 99.9% working! I only just got it installed today! BUT I have a slight problem...

here is how I installed it. I followed this Guide>>> (CLICK) to get it installed.

Let me tell you how I done it, and maybe you can pick up on any mistakes I have made...

Ok so working from my Leopard 10.5.8 Install with this system....

OS X 10.5.8 Vanilla + EFI!

Intel D975XBX2 (BAD AXE 2)

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 PCI-E Card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6660 Kentsfield 2.4GHz CPU

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (Used for installing Snow Leopard onto) /Volumes/DVD

320GB SATA II Hard Drive (Used for booting Snow Leopard) /Volumes/OSX

3GB Ram

I done......

1. Restore the retail "Snow Leopard Install DVD" to my Sata 2 Hard Drive with a MBR partition called "DVD".

2. Download and Run the script (From the above guide) from "desktop/snow-installer/installnow" by double-clicking on it.

3. Go through the on-screen prompts. Select the above restored install dvd partition as the target

For ex: "/Volumes/DVD" so that the installer dvd partition becomes bootable.

4. Copy the folder "desktop/snow-installer" to the above restored location. For ex: "/Volumes/DVD/"

5. Restart the computer and boot into the above install "DVD" that I made from the "Snow Leopard Install DVD"

6. It didnt work!!! I got my 1st KP from SL (See Kernel Panic 1 attached) :thumbsup_anim:

SO THIS IS THE POINT I STARTED TO LOOK FOR IDEAS TO WHAT WAS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM! AND OF COURSE IT WAS THE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext INSIDE THE IOATAFamily.kext

SO I FIXED THIS PROBLEM BY FINDING THE IOATAFamily.kext IN MY /Volumes/DVD PARTITON AND DELTEING THE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext INSIDE IT.....

NOW IT BOOTS FINE! 100% RIGHT INTO THE SNOW LEOPARD INSTALLER!

SO........

7. After the retail installer loads, Open up Disk Utility and Partition the drive where you want SL to be installed onto! mine was "/Volumes/OSX"

(Remember I have a boot drive called /Volumes/DVD and now an SL partition called /Volumes/OSX where SL will be installed onto)

8. then click "Utilities" > "Terminal" in the menu and type the following to run the script again: "/snow-installer/installnow"

9. Go through the prompts again and select your final destination disk/partition that SL will be installed onto! For ex: "/Volumes/OSX"

9. Close the terminal, restart as the installer says and reboot without the /Volumes/DVD sata 2 hard drive plugged in.

10. system restarts and BOOOOM! the same kernel panic as before!

See attached image!

Solutions.....

Now I can think of one solution to this..

1.Delete the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext or would i delete the IOATAFamily.kext Altogether?

2.Type in terminal: diskutil unmount -f /Volumes/OSX Open up Disk Utility.

Click on your install location on the left hand side Press Repair disk -

3. Im now stuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?

post-431746-1253118532_thumb.jpg

FYI - I have attempted a fix for the panic caused by AppleIntelPIIXATA, see this thread for details. Using the patched kext I can access my PATA drives on a BadAxe 1 with no panics, I'd be interested to see if it works for BadAxe 2 users too.

Awesome man - works 100% on badaxe 2 ide drive recognized and no panic! Now if to get mic working...

I don't need mic support, but if someone has sound output working with 10.6.1 and a bad axe 2 could they describe what they're using for that? With that I'd have everything I need working in Snow Leopard.

I found a solution to this:

1. Get the 64-bit version of VoodooHDA.kext.

2. Remove AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, and replace it with VoodooHDA.kext. Make sure the permissions are correct.

3. Touch /System/Library/Extensions to get the cache rebuilt, then reboot.

I couldn't get VoodooHDA to work by installing it in the Extra folder for Chameleon. Does anyone have that working?

2. Remove AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, and replace it with VoodooHDA.kext. Make sure the permissions are correct.

I couldn't get VoodooHDA to work by installing it in the Extra folder for Chameleon. Does anyone have that working?

I'm a bit confused by #3....Touch /System/Library/Extensions....can you clarify what you mean by this? And just to clarify..you've got onboard sound working without probs?

I'm a bit confused by #3....Touch /System/Library/Extensions....can you clarify what you mean by this? And just to clarify..you've got onboard sound working without probs?

Once you've copied VoodooHDA.kext into /System/Library/Extensions you do these commands in Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then reboot. Touch refers to the second command. It will cause OS X to rebuild the extensions cache.

I didn't check every feature of sound, but the sound output I use was working.

I got the 64-bit version of VoodooHDA from the VoodooHDA web site, not the regular download, but in a thread where someone asked for it.

Thank you Tader for your detailed information. I managed to get SL installed, but I got KP's after the OS was loaded so I tried it a few more times and everytime I ran the kext caching command I got errors, even with the box unchecked on the USB drive. I see a few more replies here in regards to just that issue and I figure if I can get past that step without any perm. problems I should be OK. just wanted to thank you for your information :)

I can confirm that putting the 64-bit voodoohda.kext into System/Library/Extensions and then repairing the mkext with Kext Utility or terminal commands makes the BadAxe2's onboard audio operational. But as has been stated before, this only gives output, not input -- I'm not getting line-level input or mic input. But the stereo analog outputs work, at least. Haven't tested the digital out.

Getting there. I don't like the voodoo team hacks, as they move the install further away from a vanilla install. But until someone figures out how to enable the STAC9247D kext under SL, this is the only way I know of to get onboard audio out of the BA2.

I'm this close to adding a firewire audio card and being done with it.

Thank you Tader for your detailed information. I managed to get SL installed, but I got KP's after the OS was loaded so I tried it a few more times and everytime I ran the kext caching command I got errors, even with the box unchecked on the USB drive. I see a few more replies here in regards to just that issue and I figure if I can get past that step without any perm. problems I should be OK. just wanted to thank you for your information :blink:

I am seriously lost with the instructions from page 1. I got as far as restoring the 10.6 dmg file into the usb stick, but when I try to put in the bootloader using the following:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk7

fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

then I moved on to

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk7s1

dd: boot1h: No such file or directory

My flash drive is actually disk7 like the example. So I'm stuck and can't even say I received kernel panic.

@ibuyufo. Looks like you're not in the same directory as the boot files. In Terminal type

cd then space then drag the "Snow Leopard on D975XBX2" folder and press enter.

Then

cd Bootloader/Chameleon-2.0-RC1-r431-bin/i386/

Then when you do the sudo fdisk etc. the files will copy. For the final 'boot' file you'll need to be in the Bootloader/PC_EFI V10.1 folder.

hth.

@ibuyufo. Looks like you're not in the same directory as the boot files. In Terminal type

cd then space then drag the "Snow Leopard on D975XBX2" folder and press enter.

Then

cd Bootloader/Chameleon-2.0-RC1-r431-bin/i386/

Then when you do the sudo fdisk etc. the files will copy. For the final 'boot' file you'll need to be in the Bootloader/PC_EFI V10.1 folder.

hth.

The Baron,

Thanks for your help with this! It wasn't obvious from the guide that I had to do this. But now that I've done this and have booted off the USB drive I get a kernel panic when I try to boot off the USB snow leopard install disc.

to get voodohda working in the extra folder you need to copy OSvKernDSPLib and IOAudioFamily from the stock snow leopard extensions folder and u should be good

What's the status, does digital out and sound work after sleep? I need the marvell ports as well, any luck with that under snow leo? Planning to upgrade my server now, but I really need those three things working.

Even if it's not automatically working after sleep, you should be able to manually load the kext right?

ok, I found this solution for marvell http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188482

can't test it right now though.

What's the status, does digital out and sound work after sleep? I need the marvell ports as well, any luck with that under snow leo? Planning to upgrade my server now, but I really need those three things working.

Even if it's not automatically working after sleep, you should be able to manually load the kext right?

ok, I found this solution for marvell http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188482

can't test it right now though.

You are correct unfortunately audio stops working after sleep. I tried all audio kext available with no success. BTW mic works using front panel inputs.

I'm seeing an ethernet issue under snow leopard that I don't get in leopard. In Leopard, the log shows the following, and everything works fine:

Ethernet [intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Asymmetric Receiving flow-control, .....

In Snow Leopard, the Intel 8254x is only seen as 10-Megabit, Half-Duplex... And after some network activity the ethernet connection goes down and requires a reboot to restore it. I've tried my own generated DSDT as well as ones from this thread, but they have the same issue. Can anyone confirm that their Intel8254x is being recognized in Snow Leopard as above?