Snow Leopard on Bad Axe 2

MacGuy42

231 posts in this topic

I am still having the same problem.. it's very baffling. The installer will boot up fine and the log shows it going until "Copying/Downloading packages locally" and then the screen turns grey and tells me I need to reboot. I've played around with using other people's DSDT.aml files instead of my own and the only difference is I get the error with the grey screen and spinning beach ball instead.

I am still having the same problem.. it's very baffling. The installer will boot up fine and the log shows it going until "Copying/Downloading packages locally" and then the screen turns grey and tells me I need to reboot. I've played around with using other people's DSDT.aml files instead of my own and the only difference is I get the error with the grey screen and spinning beach ball instead.

Hi. Sorry you are still having trouble :D

Maybe your disk image is corrupted.

Hi. Sorry you are still having trouble :)

Maybe your disk image is corrupted.

I wondered about this, although I didn't have any problems restoring it to the USB partition. It's probably something really dumb that I'm overlooking. :D

I wondered about this, although I didn't have any problems restoring it to the USB partition. It's probably something really dumb that I'm overlooking. ;)

You can still restore a corrupted image. The best way to check is to find the MD5 sum.

Type MD5 and then a space in Terminal. Then drag your image there.

Are you using an image from BrokenStones? I only had success with the 'full' version (6.13gb), not the one with stripped Boot Camp drivers (5.22gb).

md5 is a98ed4f5b730f384cca66ae026974009

Ah {censored}. That probably explains it. Download faster, router!

Are you using an image from BrokenStones? I only had success with the 'full' version (6.13gb), not the one with stripped Boot Camp drivers (5.22gb).

md5 is a98ed4f5b730f384cca66ae026974009

Damn... every single disc I've gotten has had a different checksum. I checked the log on one of the newer install dvds I got and it begins copying some of the pkgs and then stops and brings up the reboot window. First time through it managed to copy the printer pkgs and some others; second time through I unchecked everything and it only copied the ichat pkg.

What is the final verdict on "-x32" vs "-32"? I've used both and I haven't seen any difference between using either one.

I'm glad my post helped someone :D

Disk Utility actually still lists them as external. I'm not sure what the kexts actually do.

This is the sort of thing that BuildSmart gets working perfectly from the ground up, starting in BIOS.

No hack kexts will be required in his Ultimate Snow Leopard CD (ConvertIt2Mac.com).

There is never a problem updating from Apple.

It is like EFI-X, but only for select Intel motherboards and free.

Damn... every single disc I've gotten has had a different checksum.

I had a problem like that once, it turned out to be bad RAM.

You might want to download Rember.app and check yours out just to make sure.

What is the final verdict on "-x32" vs "-32"? I've used both and I haven't seen any difference between using either one.

I have yet to test -x32, but I am convinced that is the correct flag.

EDIT: I can now confirm the "-x32" flag is indeed correct and works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am wondering if anyone has the 64-bit kernel fulling working on a Bad Axe 1 or 2?

There is a LAN controller problem here. You either have to turn it off in BIOS or run the 32-bit kernel.

EDIT: I verified that the built-in XBX2 LAN controller does indeed work with 64-bit kernel with the DSDT that Tader posted. The BuildSmart's Leopard DSDT does not, but he will be fixing that with his Ultimate Snow Leopard release (ConvertIt2Mac.com).

You might want to download Rember.app and check yours out just to make sure.

I have yet to test -x32, but I am convinced that is the correct flag.

I am wondering if anyone has the 64-bit kernel fulling working on a Bad Axe 1 or 2?

There is a LAN controller problem here. You either have to turn it off in BIOS or run the 32-bit kernel.

My RAM seems to check out OK. Interestingly, i was able to run OSInstall.mpkg and it completed installation on my snow leopard-dedicated partition. I removed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from the new installation but I haven't rebooted to rebuild extension.mkext yet. Wonder if this will work?

I have not read all your posts, so I am not sure what was going on beyond the checksum problems.

But if you have your EFI boot partition set up right ("USB Boot" as Tader described), it should boot.

I'm able to boot the install disk just fine; generally what happens is that the installer will begin copying packages and then hang, and then the screen turns transparent grey and tells me I have to reboot. On a whim I ran the OSInstaller.mpkg from my working leopard partition and it installed just fine on the other partition. I'll reboot now and see what happens after I run the kextcache command.

No dice with that attempt (using OSInstall.mpkg). Booting seems to stall around DSMOS and ethernet (using either "-x32" and "arch=386").

I replaced the dsdt.aml with the one that timewise supplied and tried booting the install partition but it doesn't finish booting (I get the solid grey screen and the spinning beach ball).

No dice with that attempt (using OSInstall.mpkg). Booting seems to stall around DSMOS and ethernet (using either "-x32" and "arch=386").

I do not think booting in 32-bit mode is necessary here.

I replaced the dsdt.aml with the one that timewise supplied and tried booting the install partition but it doesn't finish booting (I get the solid grey screen and the spinning beach ball).

I believe that indicates a problem with the video solution used in the DSDT file.

You might want to try using the raw DSDT.aml file that Tader provide and run DSDT patcher on it.

My video was not fixed right for my XFX Nvidia 7600GS, but it made that DSDT.aml bootable.

I believe that indicates a problem with the video solution used in the DSDT file.

You might want to try using the raw DSDT.aml file that Tader provide and run DSDT patcher on it.

My video was not fixed right for my XFX Nvidia 7600GS, but it made that DSDT.aml bootable.

what if any options should i use when patching, e.g. HPET?

Thanks for your help, btw!

what if any options should i use when patching, e.g. HPET?

I used no options, just selected the "USB Boot" partition and pressed "go" (or whatever).

But make sure HPET is enabled in your BIOS. I believe it is under the Power menu.

(I also disable EIST (Speedstep) and C1E (you have move the jumper to "configure" position to set that now)).

Also make sure you are running the latest BIOS:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Res...t&strOSs=38

Thanks for your help, btw!

No problem.

I used no options, just selected the "USB Boot" partition and pressed "go" (or whatever).

But make sure HPET is enabled in your BIOS. I believe it is under the Power menu.

(I also disable EIST (Speedstep) and C1E (you have move the jumper to "configure" position to set that now)).

Also make sure you are running the latest BIOS:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Res...t&strOSs=38

No problem.

Is HPET labeled as something else in the BIOS? I was able to boot the snow leopard install using -x, but this is less than ideal of course. I noticed that fakesmc.kext is not loading properly... maybe this is part of the problem?

EDIT: Nevermind... I found HPET and enabled it, though it is still hanging. Hmm.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the info in this thread. I am now up and running.

My main problem seemed to be that the kexts in my Extra folder were not loading properly. I think this was down to the /Extra/Extensions.mkext not being created properly and possibly the Snow Leopard Extensions.mkext also. This is likely why I could not boot the installer - my Extra/Extensions.mkext was not allowing it to boot the right extensions. As soon as this was fixed it booted first time. I managed to get into Snow Leo in safe mode and rebuilt them from there and all is fine now. Not sure why it didn't work on any of the other attempts. Weird.

My advice is to study the verbose mode text and check your kexts are loading... if not, there's your problem. Wish I had spotted this ages ago :) I have created a separate EFI partition on one of my drives where my bootloader lives so I should not have to go through this again. I can wipe my Snow Leopard partition should anything go wrong in future.

One really annoying problem I have is that if I try to restore my Time Machine backup form my 10.5 partition, it causes a KP on reboot. Tried it a few times and it does it each one. Irritating having to copy everything across.

Thanks again to everyone on this post, and if I can be of any help just ask away...

_loosh_

My main problem seemed to be that the kexts in my Extra folder were not loading properly. I think this was down to the /Extra/Extensions.mkext not being created properly and possibly the Snow Leopard Extensions.mkext also. This is likely why I could not boot the installer - my Extra/Extensions.mkext was not allowing it to boot the right extensions. As soon as this was fixed it booted first time. I managed to get into Snow Leo in safe mode and rebuilt them from there and all is fine now. Not sure why it didn't work on any of the other attempts. Weird.

Hi Loosh,

I think I may be having a similar problem. Specifically, which .mkexts did you recreate from within snow leopard (and what commands did you use to do so... I want to cross all my t's here)?

No problem. OK, the first thing I would try is getting your /Extra/Extensions.mkext working as without this I couldn't get the installer to load. WARNING: when I did this, I couldn't boot into Leopard any more when using this drive to boot - if you have another bootloader on your Leopard drive, then you will be fine booting from that into Leopard.

Now I can't remember 100% what I did to get this working, but I'll try and outline as much as I can!

Delete your Extra/Extensions.mkext (you can do this from Leopard).

Can you boot the installer in Safe Mode (-x -x32)? If so, try this and when you are in: load Terminal and type each of the following lines and press return (don't type the numbers!):

1. kextcache -m \
  2. /Volumes/YOUR BOOT DRIVE/Extra/Extensions.mkext \
  3. /Volumes/YOUR BOOT DRIVE/Extra/Extensions

Does this rebuild your mkext? If not you may need to do this first:

1. sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/YOUR BOOT DRIVE/Extra/
  2. sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/YOUR BOOT DRIVE/Extra/

Now reboot and boot the installer in Verbose mode (-v). Do you see your kexts loading? It's often easier to spot them when they do not load. You should be able to see either of these, if so, does your installer boot now?

I also removed System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from the install disc using Leopard (remember to have hidden files turned on for this) but used Snow Leopard to rebuild it.

Let me know if this helps,

_loosh_

Hmm.. well I didn't have any problems booting into the installer with safe mode, but after rebuilding the mkext it wouldn't boot into the installer. Interestingly, I was still able to boot my leopard installation though.

I've had the best success using OSInstall.mpkg from within Leopard onto my Snow Leopard partition (btw, I have removed IOATAFamily.kext from the installer). It installs fine and I can boot into the new snow leopard installation using safe mode, but it won't boot without it. When I boot in verbose mode it hangs at a certain point; usually while waiting for a response from DSMOS or thereabouts.

I'm guessing that it's something on my boot drive that I don't have configured right. I have HPET enabled in BIOS, but I don't remember if my DSDT.aml has the HPET option on it or not. What kexts do you have in your Extensions folder? Perhaps I've got something in there that's choking it up.

I've got it working now! I used timewise's kexts (including his .mkext) and replaced mine with his. After fixing the permissions it booted right up. Like loosh was suggesting, the extensions.mkext file wasn't being made properly and the kexts weren't loading.

Now it's time to test everything and begin installing things to see how stable it is (forgot to remake the extensions.mkext in the caches kext :P).

First things first though: little snitch! Thanks to all who helped!

Hi Everyone,

Please help.

I follow step by step and I am able to boot in installer but I still got KP during the installation process when Time Remaining: About 41minutes. I would like to know what is going on.

Something may cause the error but I am not too sure. I find following issue.

When I do: sudo kextcache -m /Volumes/USB Boot/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/USB Boot/Extra/Extensions/ <-- I got "xxxx is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins"

When I do: kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/ <-- I got "Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root"

Is that normal? If not, how do I avoid those issue? I read though 4 pages but still cant get any hints. Please help

Thanks in Advance

Hi Everyone,

Please help.

I follow step by step and I am able to boot in installer but I still got KP during the installation process when Time Remaining: About 41minutes. I would like to know what is going on.

Something may cause the error but I am not too sure. I find following issue.

When I do: sudo kextcache -m /Volumes/USB Boot/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/USB Boot/Extra/Extensions/ <-- I got "xxxx is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins"

When I do: kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/ <-- I got "Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root"

Is that normal? If not, how do I avoid those issue? I read though 4 pages but still cant get any hints. Please help

Thanks in Advance

Did you remove AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from IOATAFamily.kext from the installer partition?

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Make sure that you uncheck the box that says "ignore ownership on this volume" on the info window for your USB Boot partition. Next, make sure you have the ownership and permissions set correctly for the Extra folder.

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/USB\ Boot/Extra
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/USB\ Boot/Extra

Are you running the kextcache command in single user mode?

Before you can run the installer you need to boot using "-s -f -x32" in Chameleon, then run the following commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy

then:

/sbin/mount -uw /

then:

kextcache -v 1 -t -m \
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext \
/System/Library/Extensions

and finally:

reboot