Snow Leopard on Bad Axe 2

MacGuy42

231 posts in this topic

During the course of trying to get the 64-bit kernel to work, I seemed to have dicked something up. Whenever I try to use BetterZip to unpack rar files or use DVD2OneX to compress a DVD, I get a kernel panic. Both of these were functioning fine before.

I replaced all of the kexts in /Extra/Extensions in case I corrupted one but it still seems to be doing it. Hmm.

I'm building a new PC in another week or two so it's not life-threatening to fix this issue between now and then, however, I don't like it when something isn't working right and I can't fix it. :wacko:

Every time I've had that problem I just erased my efi partition, and reran the myhack installer.

I replaced the kernel and the GeForce/Nvidia kexts and it seems to have solved it. I must have corrupted some part of them when I was fussing about. Ah well... hurry up and get here i5 parts!

• 1 month later...
It's on here somewhere. Search for Badaxe Marvell SATA kext and you'll find the solution. As I recall, there was some minor plist editing involved, though it's been a good long while since I upgraded my rig to a UD3P running SL and I don't remember the exact steps I took. But like all else, the solution is on this site, you just have to spend some time searching the keywords and reading through threads till you find the answer.

Did you mean this "BadAxe2 Marvell SATA working in Snow Leopard"???

Tryied search in this site/ and on google.com with the key word you said. Still couldn't find the solution so far.

• 1 month later...

I have a Q6600 and Intel S975XBX2. Note that it is S.

Got Snow working..the Hazard 10.6.2 variety. Everything works as expected including sleep and all such things. Except 2 things. Sound and CMOS. In 10.5.8 I have a 100 percent working vanilla system with sound and proper time.

Please help me out with the CMOS and Sound... tried to fix my DSDT using that DSDTSE tool ... but either the hack is not activating or I do not know what ... But I do not want to spend nearly $180 to replace this awesome motherboard just for sound and CMOS... that too at a time when the world is shifting to different socket and another socket is in the pipeline.. If only we can have just the CMOS working, I can put those $180 for getting USB MAudio Transit for sound... but if we are able to solve sound too, please by all means!

Please help guys.. :angel:

I have a Q6600 and Intel S975XBX2. Note that it is S.

Got Snow working..the Hazard 10.6.2 variety. Everything works as expected including sleep and all such things. Except 2 things. Sound and CMOS. In 10.5.8 I have a 100 percent working vanilla system with sound and proper time.

Please help me out with the CMOS and Sound... tried to fix my DSDT using that DSDTSE tool ... but either the hack is not activating or I do not know what ... But I do not want to spend nearly $180 to replace this awesome motherboard just for sound and CMOS... that too at a time when the world is shifting to different socket and another socket is in the pipeline.. If only we can have just the CMOS working, I can put those $180 for getting USB MAudio Transit for sound... but if we are able to solve sound too, please by all means!

Please help guys.. :angel:

Can you describe how the S975XBX2 is different from the D975XBX2 motherboard? Sound is a common problem, but I haven't heard of a CMOS problem before.

S is a workstation board. The audio chipset is different. It is Sigmatel STAC9227. But even after being different, Taruga Installer 1.16 and 1.17 auto installer used to take care of it easily in 10.5.8. No luck in Snow... everything is working in Snow except CMOS and sound ...

S is a workstation board. The audio chipset is different. It is Sigmatel STAC9227. But even after being different, Taruga Installer 1.16 and 1.17 auto installer used to take care of it easily in 10.5.8. No luck in Snow... everything is working in Snow except CMOS and sound ...

I'm using the 64-bit VoodooHDA kext, which is at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372. If that doesn't work with the STAC9227, I don't know what alternatives there are. I don't have any info about the CMOS problem.

Thank you ... I have ben to that page, and all over the internet, and also used a supposed 64bit kext... but always got an IO error trying to open the VooDoo panel in system preferences. Could you just attach the kext for convenience, please?

Thank you ... I have ben to that page, and all over the internet, and also used a supposed 64bit kext... but always got an IO error trying to open the VooDoo panel in system preferences. Could you just attach the kext for convenience, please?

Here is the actual kext I'm using. I've never tried using the preferences panel. It wasn't available when I first set up my kexts.

64_bit_VoodooHDA.zip

Here is the actual kext I'm using. I've never tried using the preferences panel. It wasn't available when I first set up my kexts.

Thanks Dougaa! I just installed Snow on my 1TB HDD and your kext worked! Now I have full sound working beautifully! The only thing that is irking me no end is the CMOS Reset Issue... if anybody here reads this and can help me out, please do! I really don't want to spend close to $180 on a new motherboard just for CMOS... there's got to be some fix, anybody?!

Thanks Dougaa! I just installed Snow on my 1TB HDD and your kext worked! Now I have full sound working beautifully! The only thing that is irking me no end is the CMOS Reset Issue... if anybody here reads this and can help me out, please do! I really don't want to spend close to $180 on a new motherboard just for CMOS... there's got to be some fix, anybody?!

Glad you got it working well :D

Here is the solution for your cmos issue. http://netkas.org/?p=114

It is a simple dsdt edit.

What kexts are you using?

Cheers.

Timewise, thank you for the DSDT.. however, it did not work.. if I set the time manually, then the Dashboard time widget shows the wrong one... if I leave the menu bar time incorrect, the dashboard one shows the right time.. don't know what's this. All mails that Apple Mail is receiving reflect the wrong time.

Also, just updated to 10.6.3. Display is now oversized... had to revert to VGA cable instead of HDMI.. any luck?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering. I have Snow running on a Gigabyte board, and I have my older system with BX2 still here on 10.5.8. Could I take a second HD, install show with the newer board, and then swap out the EXTRAS folder that's provided here?

Cheers

I just want to let you all know of my experience with Bad Axe 2 and SL.

I have two 975xbx2 boards, one has been running 10.5.8 with BuildSmart's BIOS/dsdt quite reliably for almost two years now.

But I wanted to see if I could use the second board to build a Snow Leopard Server. The board is coupled with an XFX 7300GT video card and a AOC-USAS-L8i 8 port SAS card, in a nice Norco RPC-4220 20 drive case. I also added a Marvel Yukon-based dual port gigabit ethernet card.

I started with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].iso and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] by tonymacx86. However, after booting with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].iso via an USB dvd drive I would always get stuck with EBIOS errors, no matter what.

So I did the following: (1) I connected the boot HD of my d975xbx2 to my mac pro via USB and directly installed SL 10.6.1 from a retail DVD. (2) Then I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install basic kexts and aserebln bootloader (the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] option). (3) Also made sure to remove the offending AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext as Tader suggested. (4) Finally, moved the HD into my bad axe rig and booted.

It worked without a problem! I went on to upgrade to 10.6.3 via a combo update and this also worked great.

I did not worry about sound because this will be my server. But I could probably use VoodooHDA, if I needed it.

The best thing is that it all works very well with the SAS card, which was crucial for the 20 drive server. (I boot from a drive on this card.)

So I am really excited that I could keep my old and trusted bad axe board in my new server rig. I really only wish ZFS made it to snow leopard, it would make the server experience complete for me.

Long live Bad Axe 2!

Update:

I got soft mirror RAID to work on the boot volume using this guide. Make sure you move/copy Extra to the Boot OSX partitions and also set bootable flags for those partitions. Works great!

i dont know what you all have problems with bad axe 2 and snow leo.

i installed myhack final and build a dsdt and all is running fine exept sleep, but i dont need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same board (and Q6600), but I only get "Installation Failed" half way through the Hazard installer. What options did you check ? Did you do anything else in preparation first ?

Any of you experienced the same error and solved it or know any other "distro" I should be using instead ?

Finally I've SL running. Only two problems to solve.

The sound does not work. How to get it to work?

And

The first minutes my ethernet connection works without problems, but the some minutes after, he cannot get a IP from my Router. Why?