Snow Leopard on Bad Axe 2

MacGuy42

231 posts in this topic

For the warnings on the mkext, of course- you are compiling the /Extra/Extensions. There's lots of stuff *not* in there. you'll get errors about dependencies. Notice they were warnings and you should also see in there that it says included anyway.

On the ownerships, in the past chown -R root:wheel was how you did it, seems that 10.6 has issues with that, perhaps because it sets it to some other UID so instead it appears that using UID and GID of 0 does the trick, so chown -R 0:0 instead.

The permissions are still 755 and that works.

My hang up now is the 7900 GS 512M is working with all the features, except I can't change resolution without a panic.

It's defaulting to 800x600 with the EFI string, selecting anything else, as soon as the screen refreshes, it panics.

I tried a different EFI string and I got the multi languages instead of a panic screen dump.

Searching for that kind of information in the forum .. is challenging ^_^

Wish I could get there :wacko:

So I chmod and chown'ed the System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ folder, and then ran the kextcahce ... is this what you were recommending? This time, it wrote the mkext but still gave an error about not being able to write to /

I can still get it to boot the installer, but as soon as I get to the GUI (where you pick your language) I just get a grey screen with a cursor which stays there as it is until I press a key or click them mouse, where I get the spinning wheel of doom!

Anyone else with similar experience?

_loosh_

I've got it booting now. First time it stalled at VoodooHDA, so I removed that, created Extensions.mkext again and now it seems to stop at ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:

post-53195-1251583748_thumb.jpg

I've tried all the switches -v -f -x -32 and it stops here every time :-(

Any ideas?

This is really strange, because, as you can see, the root filesystem is mounted, it _should_ just boot.

Have you any succes booting with the -s -f -32 switches? Maybe you have to rebuild the Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

Anyone got the onboard sound working yet? Would be nice if it is possible by editing the dsdt file.

As you can read in my post #15 in this thread, I have working sound.

But I have to add, sound stops working after my computer has slept. I have seen rumors (not checked myself) that Taruga's HDAPatcher still works when you boot in 32-bit mode. I maybe have to revert to this solution because neither Parallels or VMWare Fusion work in 64-bit mode...

This is really strange, because, as you can see, the root filesystem is mounted, it _should_ just boot.

Have you any succes booting with the -s -f -32 switches? Maybe you have to rebuild the Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

As you can read in my post #15 in this thread, I have working sound.

But I have to add, sound stops working after my computer has slept. I have seen rumors (not checked myself) that Taruga's HDAPatcher still works when you boot in 32-bit mode. I maybe have to revert to this solution because neither Parallels or VMWare Fusion work in 64-bit mode...

Hi Tader,

Cheers for your help with this. I'm beginning to think the gfx card may have something to do with it (2600XT). I'm going to get a NV 9600GT now and give that a try. I'm also going to get a usb pen drive and use your instructions to the letter.

Thanks for everyone's help, although I still cannot get into boot. When I run the installer it gets to the point where it loads the OS, the screen goes grey and the cursor appears... but then it stays there. If I boot it in safe mode (-x) it gets all the way, the screen goes grey and then the desktop background appears and the language chooser pops up. However, in safe mode, it KPs about 2 minutes in :)

Think this could be down to my Graphics Card? Tried it without the EFI string and got the same problem, but in 1024x768. I'm now at a complete loss.

At least Leopard runs flawlessly :)

_loosh_

OK, progress report.

Changed my 2600XT for a 9600GT, added EFI string to Boot.plist and now I get to the installation screens, in hi res too.

I choose to install and it now KPs almost immediately, looks like IOStorageFamily is the culprit. I changed BIOS to AHCI, can't think what else to try, anyone?

post-53195-1251812965_thumb.jpg

That's the exact same error message I get on install, same place too.

I'm all SATA drives in my machine and one USB drive for install. That's all the storage I have.

_loosh_

hmmm, must be some BIOS setting we're missing. I've unplugged all unneeded drives, and just have 1 SATA hd target drive, 1 SATA burner and the usb pen drive.

Did some searching on IOStorageFamily and couldn't find anything relevant, will post back here if I get any further....

I got the installer disc to boot up fine, but once the installer starts running for a minute I get the semi-transparent window that pops up and says I need to reboot before the installer finishes. Any ideas?

Are you using a usb flash drive install? Did you delete AppleIntelPIIATA from installer/S/L/E IOATA?

Here are the kexts I used in Chameleons Extra folder. Chameleon on its own partition.

I have only booted 32 bit so far.

UPDATE:

64 bit seems to work fine.

I tried your 3 extra kexts, no luck unfortunately. They did make the hard drive show up as internal though, so I'll use when (if) i get SL running...

Would you be able to check your BIOS rev on the motherboard? I'l clutching at straws now :-(

I have a universal build of snow Leopard from nekas and it boots up almost to a install screen, and then shuts my system down...can not figure it ...I'm running bad Axe2 quads,ati 2600xt,all native hardware ,I'm running Vanilla Leo at 10.5.8 like a charm.... somehow ,snow cone flavor cat seems to be pisssy...I am curious to other Bad axe2 users to how they got it up? maybe a bios setting along with a few kexts here and there? anyone with a guide would be great ..thanks all fellow bad axe2Z (=

This is how I installed Snow Leopard from a working Leopard install.

Most of this is from tader's guide earlier in this thread. Give him credit too if it works.

Section 1.

Start with an 8GB USB flash drive.

Make 2 partitions, one 1GB called USB Boot and the second called Install.

Select Master Boot Record under Options and click Apply.

Partition your hard drive for Snow Leopard with 2 partitions, one 1GB called SnowCham and the second called SnowLeopard.

Restore Snow Leopard install disc to Install partition on the USB flash drive using Disk Utility and select Erase Destination.

Install Chameleon RC1 with installer package to USB Boot partition on the flash drive and uncheck everything except themes.

Copy netkas PC_EFI 10.1 boot to USB Boot with this command.

cd (then a space) then drag the 'PC_EFI 10.1 Copy' folder to the Terminal

mv -f boot /Volumes/USB Boot/

This will remove boot from the PC_EFI 10.1 folder so make a copy first.

Copy extensions to USB Boot/Extra/Extensions folder.

Copy your dsdt.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist to USB Boot/Extra folder.

I used DSDTPatcher GUI_1.0 and added hpet fix. Then I decompiled my dsdt and added cmos reset fix http://netkas.org/?p=114

My com.apple.Boot.plist contains the -x32 boot flag so it only boots 32 bit.

Remove AppleIntelPIIATA.kext from Snow Leopard install/System/Library/Extensions/IOATA.kext.

Select AHCI in drive configuration options in BIOS.

Section 2.

Boot off USB flash drive and select Snow Leopard Installer.

Type -s -f -x32 and hit enter.

Then type

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

Boot into installer again without -s -f -x32.

Install Snow Leopard.

Boot into working Leopard install and remove AppleIntelPIIATA.kext from SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/IOATA.kext.

Boot off USB flash drive and select SnowLeopard.

Type -s -f -x32 and hit enter.

Then type

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

Boot off USB flash drive again and select SnowLeopard without -s -f -x32.

Section 3.

Boot back into Leopard and install Chameleon RC1 using installer package to SnowCham and uncheck everything except themes.

Copy netkas PC_EFI 10.1 boot to SnowCham with this command.

cd (then a space) then drag the 'PC_EFI 10.1 Copy' folder to the Terminal

mv -f boot /Volumes/SnowCham/

Copy extensions to SnowCham/Extra/Extensions.

Copy your dsdt.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist to SnowCham/Extra folder.

Remove flash drive and boot into the Snow Leopard hard drive.

Select SnowLeopard.

Type -v and hit enter.

Download KextUtility and drag and drop SnowCham/Extra/Extensions folder on application icon.

Make sure you add ethernet strings and gfx strings to com.apple.Boot.plist using EFIStudio.

Extra.zip

Update: Partitionning and Permission instructions

Update: Now working sound! (Even Mic!)

This method uses a flash drive to boot and install Snow Leopard.

Thanks for the great XBX2 guide, Tader!

I am still working through it but want to make a couple of comments as they come up.

First, a USB flash drive per se is not required for this. I am using an internal SATA drive and after some apparently unrelated snags I have booted the Snow Leopard Installer and an installing as I type this.

As The Baron reported above, a chowm/chmod -R seems seems to be required before the kextcache can be generated, so you might want to add those commands to your guide here:

Generate Extensions.mkext

sudo kextcache -m /Volumes/USB Boot/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/USB Boot/Extra/Extensions/

I am sure that I am not the only confusing the "1" (one) below with an "l" (L). It is a "1" (one), not an "l" (L)... wasted a good hour of mine time on that:

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/
reboot

By way, for the other people who encounter problems the single user terminal not scrolling automatically with multiple line command, here is a little escape sequences (\) refresher:

kextcache -v 1 -t -m \
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext \
/System/Library/Extensions/
reboot

Otherwise, I got hung up at the same point (cursor or spinning beachball on light grey background) The Baron and _loosh_ did as described above.

Here are the steps I took to get around it (I did not isolate the exact solution):

(1) Used EFIStudio to generate hex EFI string for video fix for my XFX 7600GS 256MB and then I added it to the /USB Boot/Extra/boot.plist (I am pretty this by itself did not solve the problem though and should not be necessary with the copy of BuildSmart's DSDT.aml I added next anyways).

(2) Since I using the BuildSmart's Ultimate BIOS, I also used a version of his DSDT.aml (this may be required with his BIOS).

(3) chown/chmod /USB Boot/Extra/ as per the above code I just reposted.

EDIT: I have still have not bothered to fully isolated the of the problem, but I want to report that it was now most likely the fact that was using the DSDT file posted by Tader unpatched (without a video settings). BuildSmart's DSDT had a video fix in it and is different in other ways.

By the way, BuildSmart is hard at work developing a 100% working Snow Leopard solution for XBX2 that includes:

- full 64-bit support.

- bootable software RAID.

- automatic nVidia graphics card detection.

This will be available at his site: ConvertIt2Mac.com in the near future. Intel D5400SX (SkullTrail) and other select Intel boards, including the DX58SO and DP45SG, will also be supported.

thanks to all the good info in this thread i can now boot into snow leo on my badaxe1! awesome stuff guys :D

What's up Simon? Good to see you around.

BuildSmart also supports BadAxe1, by the way.

I'd like to 2nd the thanks for Tader & timewise.

After a couple of days frustration, I had a go with timewise's latest post and this time it worked! I did several things differently from previous attempts, I'll try to list them in case they help.

1. Used Leopard to partition/ erase target drive.

2. Used timewise's dsdt.aml

3. Set -x32 boot flag in boot.plist

4. (Important?) I didn't unplug my Leopard sata when booting up from USB.

5. After the initial USB boot up using -s -f -x32 and creating next mkext, the only flag I used on reboot was -v.

6. SL installed!! I launched Terminal before the 30 second reboot.

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/

7. Reboot. Used -s -f -x32 again, created mkext again, rebooted and let the USB boot up the SL sata partition

8. Gfx working, sound working, ethernet working. For the first time in my hackintosh history, I had video & sound for the intro!!!

HTH. If I think of anything else I did I'll report in the morning, need some sleep now!

BTW thank for the tips Bofors, great to see you back here, and I'll keep an eye out for BuildSmart's latest masterpiece.

BTW thank for the tips Bofors, great to see you back here, and I'll keep an eye out for BuildSmart's latest masterpiece.

Thank you,

I also want to mention that BuildSmart's Ultimate Leopard solution, which consists of a custom XBX2 BIOS and a matching DSDT for "native" ethernet support, causes a LAN controller related kernal panic on Snow Leopard.

The fix will of course be part of his Ultimate Snow Leopard release, but for now I have to turn off the LAN controller in BIOS to avoid the kernel panic.

Otherwise, Snow Leopard seems stable on my XBX2 and with the exception of the now typical orange (external) drive icons, seems to work properly using Tader's guide (audio works for me, the system shuts down and reboots, but I have not tried sleep).

Here are some 32-bit mode notes...

(1) On my XBX2, Snow Leopard is booting is 64-bit kernel (full 64-bit mode) by default. I am wondering why it is doing this, but apparently Tader seemed to be aware of this because he was adding the -32 boot flag (32-bit kernel) to the instructions.

(2) The -32 boot flag does not trigger the 32-bit kernel to be booted here, the 64-bit kernel loads for me (even in

single user mode)

EDIT: I have not tested this yet, but the 32-bit boot flag is actually -x32 not -32 (and likewise -x64 for 64-bit):

http://netkas.org/?p=127 (see comment #17 and netkas' note in comment #29).

EDIT2: On further examination of this thread, it looks like several other people were already using "-x32" flag. I assume that is what Tader meant to write in his guide instead of "-32". I am not positive, but I do not see a "-32" boot flag listed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=99891&st=0

EDIT3: I can now confirm the "-x32" flag is indeed correct and works.

(3) In addition to checking SystemProfiler->Software->64-bit Kernel and Extensions, you can execute following the command line to verify which kernel you are running :

uname -a

(4) Adding the following kernel flag to apple.com.boot.plist in the /USB Boot/Extra folder does trigger 32-bit mode here:

<key>Kernel Flags<key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

(5) Running the 32-bit kernel fixes the built-in LAN (if you use BuildSmart's Ultimate BIOS and matching DSDT). No more kernel panics with no additional kexts, patches or hacks required. Running the 32-bit kernel also fixed an AirPort-clone card that BuildSmart had made (which is natively supported, so it requires no hacks).

Otherwise, Snow Leopard seems stable on my XBX2 and with the exception of the now typical orange (external) drive icons, seems to work properly using Tader's guide (audio works for me, the system shuts down and reboots, but I have not tried sleep).

I had the orange icon problem for the first few attempts, but after adding the 3 extra kexts from timewise's post:

ATAPortInjector.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

they appear as internal drives again. Don't know enough to say how/ why, but they should work for you.

I had the orange icon problem for the first few attempts, but after adding the 3 extra kexts from timewise's post:

ATAPortInjector.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

they appear as internal drives again. Don't know enough to say how/ why, but they should work for you.

I'm glad my post helped someone ;)

Disk Utility actually still lists them as external. I'm not sure what the kexts actually do.