Snow Leopard on Bad Axe 2

MacGuy42

231 posts in this topic

I'm seeing an ethernet issue under snow leopard that I don't get in leopard. In Leopard, the log shows the following, and everything works fine:

Ethernet [intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Asymmetric Receiving flow-control, .....

In Snow Leopard, the Intel 8254x is only seen as 10-Megabit, Half-Duplex... And after some network activity the ethernet connection goes down and requires a reboot to restore it. I've tried my own generated DSDT as well as ones from this thread, but they have the same issue. Can anyone confirm that their Intel8254x is being recognized in Snow Leopard as above?

In Leopard I get:

Ethernet [intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, No flow-control, Debug [796d,ac4c,0de1,0e00,cde1,7800]

and in Snow Leopard I get:

Ethernet [intel8254x]: Link up on en0, 10-Megabit, Half-duplex, No flow-control, Debug [796d,ac4c,0de1,0e00,cde1,7800]

However, as far as I can tell, my connection is working at full speed in Snow Leopard. When I check the advanced network preferences and System Profiler, there's no difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Both programs show 1 gb, full-duplex. Also, the Netgear switch I'm using indicates the computer's connection is 1 gb. So far I've barely used Snow Leopard, but when I updated to 10.6.1 that network activity didn't cause the connection to go down.

Thanks for the reply dougaa, I'm seeing the same thing in advanced network preferences as well so I guess we shouldn't be concerned. I powered off my machine and unplugged to reset the network adaptor, and now everything seems to be working fine (no more losing ethernet connection).

don't know why you folks have so much problems with bad axe 2 ... it is similar to P5W and on this board you can install SL only with 3 Kexts ...

best to do is booting a leopard and set all drives in Spotlight to private ... if not, you have to use Kext Utility as soon as possible after first start ... only a first Attempt is ok by using Kext Utility ...

boot up to your existing Leopard System ... or a Chameleon prepared usb stick ...

1. partition a harddrive in GUID for your SnowLeo

2. set all harddrives to private in Spotlight Systemconfiguration (include your future SnowLeo partition/harddrive)

3. rebuild your SnowLeo Image to a Stick or better a separate created harddrive partition (8GB) with AppleHarddriveUtility

4. install Chameleon RC3 (Installer Version) to the partition for SnowLeo, if you will have errors later on, use RC1 + boot 10.1 or better 10.3 ...

5. make/edit/ than copy com.apple.boot.plist (with your efi_string for gfx card in it), smbios.plist and DSDT.aml to /Extra on partition for SnowLeo

6. make in /Extra on SnowLeo partition a folder (if not exists) /Extensions ... copy the needed kexts by your hardware to that folder (x64 kexts) edit PlatformUUID.kext/Content/info.plist and insert in SMUUID your Ethernet MacAddress (last 12 digits without ":"), as well as in smbios.plist (UUID)

7. set SnowLeo harddrive fisrt boot in BIOS, boot it ...

8. being in bootloader select install partition/image/stick/dvd of SnowLeo Install Disk

9. install SnowLeo ... reboot ...

10. make your user, than in Terminal: diskutil repairPermissions diskXsX (select your disk: diskutil list) ...

11. by using VoodooHDA.kext, sometimes you have to set it to the SnowLeo harddrive to function by using kext helper b7

12. Start Kext Utility ... should build mkext in first Attempt ... if Attempt #2 appears, redo repairPermissions with diskutil, Kext Utility should work in first Attempt after that

13. reboot and update to 10.6.1 by Apple Softwareupdate ... deset your private setting in Spotlight ...

done ... have fun !

Delete AppleHPET.kext for Highspeed USB ... if so ... you have to use NullPowerManagement.kext or patch DSDT for using ApplePwerMenagement.kext ...

Have fun with my files ... :( ... edit them to your own needs ... peace ...

Extra.zip

don't know why you folks have so much problems with bad axe 2 ... it is similar to P5W and on this board you can install SL only with 3 Kexts ...

Have fun with my files ... :D ... edit them to your own needs ... peace ...

...vielen dank Lord_webi ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Lordi your guide worked like a charm ;) . I now have badaxe2 with 10.6.1. I ran across the IOATA problem before installing, but solved that with the help of previous posts. I still have few questions, you have quite few more than 3 kext in extras/extensions folder can you advise which ones i can keep and which ones can be deleted?

Right now i Have

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext - needed for PATA DVD

JMicronATA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

Also when booting in verbose mode the sytem hangs for a while with error on appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext, doesnt NullCPUPowerManagemen.kext take care of that so i can delete appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext?

Cheers

Kaur

Thanks Lordi your guide worked like a charm :( . I now have badaxe2 with 10.6.1. I ran across the IOATA problem before installing, but solved that with the help of previous posts. I still have few questions, you have quite few more than 3 kext in extras/extensions folder can you advise which ones i can keep and which ones can be deleted?

Right now i Have

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext - needed for PATA DVD

JMicronATA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

Also when booting in verbose mode the sytem hangs for a while with error on appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext, doesnt NullCPUPowerManagemen.kext take care of that so i can delete appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext?

Cheers

Kaur

it's good to hear SL success stories on BadAxeII. I'm just curious how reliable and functional it is currently on this board. Few posts above I read that people are having issues with sound and sleep. What is your experience ? (I'm still not fully convinced to move from my 100% reliable 10.5.8.). Thanks

Everything works for me, except Sound after Sleep. I have networked Time Machine and am using a Griffin iMic to get round the sound problem (which I bought to get round the sound problems before AlainTox714 sorted it out on Leopard, and I'm sure it will get sorted on SL, as there are lots of BA2 users out there). Running in 32 bit mode purely to get one or two apps to run that don't like 64 bit.

Curious, what apps don't like 64-bit? I guess I'm lucky, none of my apps has had a problem with the 64-bit kernel yet.

Everything works for me, except Sound after Sleep. I have networked Time Machine and am using a Griffin iMic to get round the sound problem (which I bought to get round the sound problems before AlainTox714 sorted it out on Leopard, and I'm sure it will get sorted on SL, as there are lots of BA2 users out there). Running in 32 bit mode purely to get one or two apps to run that don't like 64 bit.

I am not using sleep, but it seems to work. For sound I used voodooHDA.kext which has to placed in system/Library/Extensions/ does not work in /Extra/Extensions/

For installing I also created my own dsdt.aml which I created w DSTPatcher. Also after adding IOATAFamily.kext to Extra/Extensions/ i used MkextTool to make new Extensions.mkext

best to do is booting a leopard and set all drives in Spotlight to private ... if not, you have to use Kext Utility as soon as possible after first start ... only a first Attempt is ok by using Kext Utility ...

boot up to your existing Leopard System ... or a Chameleon prepared usb stick ...

1. partition a harddrive in GUID for your SnowLeo

2. set all harddrives to private in Spotlight Systemconfiguration (include your future SnowLeo partition/harddrive)

3. rebuild your SnowLeo Image to a Stick or better a separate created harddrive partition (8GB) with AppleHarddriveUtility

4. install Chameleon RC3 (Installer Version) to the partition for SnowLeo, if you will have errors later on, use RC1 + boot 10.1 or better 10.3 ...

5. make/edit/ than copy com.apple.boot.plist (with your efi_string for gfx card in it), smbios.plist and DSDT.aml to /Extra on partition for SnowLeo

6. make in /Extra on SnowLeo partition a folder (if not exists) /Extensions ... copy the needed kexts by your hardware to that folder (x64 kexts) edit PlatformUUID.kext/Content/info.plist and insert in SMUUID your Ethernet MacAddress (last 12 digits without ":"), as well as in smbios.plist (UUID)

7. set SnowLeo harddrive fisrt boot in BIOS, boot it ...

8. being in bootloader select install partition/image/stick/dvd of SnowLeo Install Disk

9. install SnowLeo ... reboot ...

10. make your user, than in Terminal: diskutil repairPermissions diskXsX (select your disk: diskutil list) ...

11. by using VoodooHDA.kext, sometimes you have to set it to the SnowLeo harddrive to function by using kext helper b7

12. Start Kext Utility ... should build mkext in first Attempt ... if Attempt #2 appears, redo repairPermissions with diskutil, Kext Utility should work in first Attempt after that

13. reboot and update to 10.6.1 by Apple Softwareupdate ... deset your private setting in Spotlight ...

done ... have fun !

Delete AppleHPET.kext for Highspeed USB ... if so ... you have to use NullPowerManagement.kext or patch DSDT for using ApplePwerMenagement.kext ...

Have fun with my files ... :( ... edit them to your own needs ... peace ...

Hi all!! Nice guide Lord_webi but a question: where is my ethernet macadress or how can i get it? And in my actual leopard i cant find how to put private in Spotlight Systemconfiguration.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I need some help, I wanna fix marvell sata {censored} on my board so I need a lspci dump from badaxe2 with marvell sata set as AHCI.

If someone can, run this command in terminal and upload the result:

lspci -nnvvxxxx > ~/Desktop/badaxe2_lspci.txt

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ppl, I have a strange issue while installing SL on my BA2.

Tried OSInstall, DVD install... no joy... a few seconds after the boot (OSInstall or DVD boot) it is restarted automatically (not even a KP, or at least I cant see it).

Could you please post your BIOS versions because I've updated mine to the last one few weeks ago (my BA2 was a linux server for a while) and i'm in a middle of nowhere... don't have a clue about a fix...

Hi ppl, I have a strange issue while installing SL on my BA2.

Tried OSInstall, DVD install... no joy... a few seconds after the boot (OSInstall or DVD boot) it is restarted automatically (not even a KP, or at least I cant see it).

Could you please post your BIOS versions because I've updated mine to the last one few weeks ago (my BA2 was a linux server for a while) and i'm in a middle of nowhere... don't have a clue about a fix...

I doubt the BIOS version matters much, but mine is most recent one, BX97520J.86A.2838.2008.0903.1859. There's no particular problem with getting Snow Leopard to boot on the Bad Axe 2, even if you may not have sound or something else working initially. I wrote a tutorial about installing Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive, and it includes the details of what I used for my Bad Axe 2. It's at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199832

Once I boot it, will not be a problem to solve any sound/video etc issues. The biggest problem is that I can't get it to the initial "Install Welcome Screen" ... no KP, just automatically restarts after few seconds of loading the installer... no matter I'm in a DVD install or in "OSInstall.mpkg"...

Currently I have installed on a separate hdd ToH RC2 10.5 just to be able to do OSInstall but...

P.S. I can't find anyone else having such a problem with auto restart on boot like me, that's why I decided to ask about your BIOS versions -_-

Edit: Hm.. that might be the CPU.. I don't remember what it was... I'll check... yeap.. PD840... got to look for a kernel.. any clue?

Once I boot it, will not be a problem to solve any sound/video etc issues. The biggest problem is that I can't get it to the initial "Install Welcome Screen" ... no KP, just automatically restarts after few seconds of loading the installer... no matter I'm in a DVD install or in "OSInstall.mpkg"...

Currently I have installed on a separate hdd ToH RC2 10.5 just to be able to do OSInstall but...

P.S. I can't find anyone else having such a problem with auto restart on boot like me, that's why I decided to ask about your BIOS versions :wacko:

Edit: Hm.. that might be the CPU.. I don't remember what it was... I'll check... yeap.. PD840... got to look for a kernel.. any clue?

I'm using a Core 2 quad CPU, and I think many people are using some Core 2 CPU. The specs for your processor are at http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27514 It's 64-bit and looks ok, so I think you're right about a kernel. I don't know what the current state is for Snow Leopard kernels, maybe someone else can post about that.