Do you consider yourself a "nerd?"

Swad

30 posts in this topic

So I'm curious...

We obviously have a very technologically minded group here. I'm curious if you consider yourself to be a "nerd" or a "geek."

Most of the time a geek is described as someone who is very smart but lacks some social graces. Do you classify?

I, for one, do consider myself to be a geek in the tech aspect, but I'd like to think I'm socially adjusted.

I've always considered a geek to be the average guy you'd see on the street, except when you talk to him, you quickly realize that he knows way more about a TCP/IP stack than anyone would ever care to know about.

"Nerds" have trouble asking out girls. A "geek" is the guy all the girls flock to when they need computer help. :)

Hmmm, I'd say I am a Geek, but I do have good social skills...

IMO, we are all Geeks if we are talking about differences between the definition of "Nerd" and "Geek", and whether we are one or not :)

I regularly get called "geek" and "boff" by people, and I often reply with, "What's wrong with that?" and they have no response.

Anyway...

I'd consider myself definitely to be a geek, and a bit of nerd. I'm not the most social person, but I still go outdoors and get my adrenaline intake from mountain bike freeriding. I played dungeons and dragons for the first time the other day, so I have to be at least part nerd. :)

Not only a caffeine molecule, but a 3d one (for 3d glasses), that's very geeky. I cosume huge amounts of that one, This one too, Usually I have both.

post-17602-1148650546_thumb.jpg

I too consider myself a geek, not a nerd.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a geek, not a nerd. I get obsessed with my little hobbies and pet projects, and I get excited about novelty. I love new tech, and also love creating things such as websites (my profession), graphics, and video. My ideal life would be living in a nice modern themed house while being surrounded by all the latest gadgets. I guess I am sorta living like that at the moment thanks to great return policies and generous credit card companies that are willing to take risks with college students. God bless America :(

I don't have the nerd look, and I see myself as a pretty normal guy socially. I guess I can occasionally be a little withdrawn, but I try not be. I admittedly have problems finding a nice girl to share my life with, but I am still young, and I am sure that will all come eventually. I feel a bit lonely and incomplete at the moment as I haven't been in a relationship for well over a year. I am not into that fantasy/sci-fi/anime stuff. It bores the {censored} out of me. Those are the type of people I see as nerds.

Some of the geek definitions (aviation geek, computer geek etc. :D ) definitely fit me, but I wouldn't say that I have poor social skills. I have a steady girlfriend, care about my looks (not that I shall decide how well that's going :P ), have a bunch of good friends and I am socially active, so I'd say that I'm a pretty average guy with some additional interests. I love new tech-stuff to burry my nose in, learning and using this to create and do stuff. :angel:

I would say neither for me. I'm a broadcast engineer for the military and have been all the way around the world, in combat situations in some of the worst places in the world. I have been syncing up satellite transmissions while bullets were going by in the background. If/when I ever shoot back I am a qualified expert, so I would have to say no... but I do know my stuff, and very well in different areas.

So I'm curious...

We obviously have a very technologically minded group here. I'm curious if you consider yourself to be a "nerd" or a "geek."

Most of the time a geek is described as someone who is very smart but lacks some social graces. Do you classify?

I, for one, do consider myself to be a geek in the tech aspect, but I'd like to think I'm socially adjusted.

Geek Deffinately.

In this world there are sheep, black sheep, wolves, and sharks.

The majority of the population are going to fit into the sheep catagory. They are consumer driven, they will follow whatever another man says, and will not think for themselves.

The black sheep usually tend to wonder away from the flock. They are consumer driven, but tend to somewhat think for themselves to an extent. But a black sheep is still a sheep, no matter what color he is. This is the nerd catagory.

Wolves usually prey on sheep. Wether they are white, or black. It is easier for a wolf to prey on a black sheep since it wonders from the flock. A pack of wolves will usually tear a flock of sheep to pieces. Wolves are the corporations, lawyers, and politicians.

Sharks swim alone in the ocean. They feed alone. They bleed alone, and die alone. But when a wolf, or sheep, gets to close to the water to drink. BAM. Its a bloodbath. Geeks are usually the sharks.

It's when you start quoting star wars in place of the great thinkers and philosophers that you have to worry. :graduated:

Whaaa? I do this all the time! :)