[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I will, whip it up if you have the time.

I will test it too! Will save me the $$$ for a new sata dvd!

Done! BootCD v1.02 in the Files section of the front page for testing- It now contains a JMicron.kext - Please let me know if it makes any difference as it is untested!

Burning now! thanx

Except Wifi and BT. For Wifi I will try compile beta drivers there and for BT I will search tomorrow, but i had BT running on 10.5 so I guess it won't be a problem. I am forced to use 32-bit mode since I use native Intel X3100 kext and it is only 32-bit. I guess old macbooks with X3100 are not 64-bit compatible.

Well done to you... You're not a noob now are you? ;)

Running in 32-bit mode is great, I wouldn't worry about not being able to go in to 64-bit mode.

I am running bluetooth, the system automatically detects my Belkin USB adapter.

I would like to confirm problems with native ntfs write support reported by Lintendo : It tends to loose folders on ntfs writable partitions, and the only way to return them back is use chkdsk under Windows...

for EP45 DS3L users:

if you have more then one hdd and one of them is connected to the ports sata5 or sata6 – you could loose them after computer wakes from sleep (and when you try to access them finder will hang up). And it could go to sleep really too long (even after turning off display). So, the fast problem solution – not to use ports sata5 and sata 6.

And for me, for fast booting up, I disabled AHCI mode in BIOS and use modded AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and JMicronATA.kext (it allows to see hdd without setting ahci on, and it boosts booting a lot ;) ) (maybe one of this kexts is not required, I simply added them both and it just works)

No luck here with the ide version, the same problem, it boots the disk, goes black and reboots. Thanks for the effort though!

Okay... I have just tried Trauma's BootCDMaker and this is what it made... try this? (Again, this is untested)

EDIT: And I have removed the link on the front page for that previous trial.

BootCD.iso.zip

Okay... I have just tried Trauma's BootCDMaker and this is what it made... try this? (Again, this is untested)

The other one did not work for me either. I will try this one. Why is this version so much smaller?

OK it boots, but the video seems messed up. Getting the cdboot:done screen with colored squares.

I rebooted again and this time I get no video squares. Just boots to cdboot:done

You have to put chameleon on it, don't you???

I would like to confirm problems with native ntfs write support reported by Lintendo : It tends to loose folders on ntfs writable partitions, and the only way to return them back is use chkdsk under Windows...

for EP45 DS3L users:

if you have more then one hdd and one of them is connected to the ports sata5 or sata6 – you could loose them after computer wakes from sleep (and when you try to access them finder will hang up). And it could go to sleep really too long (even after turning off display). So, the fast problem solution – not to use ports sata5 and sata 6.

And for me, for fast booting up, I disabled AHCI mode in BIOS and use modded AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and JMicronATA.kext (it allows to see hdd without setting ahci on, and it boosts booting a lot ;) ) (maybe one of this kexts is not required, I simply added them both and it just works)

@ -pacific-aya -

Thanks for the NTFS warning...

But well done for the mention of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext... I have just been adding JMicron.kext to the bootCd when I should have been using AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext ... doh!

Let me put another build together.. sorry!

EDIT: I have just tried, with only adding JMicron.kext in /E/E, setting AHCI mode to Disabled with my setup and booting in to SL. It failed to boot with the circle and the line through it above the apple logo. I'll stick with AHCI.

The other one did not work for me either. I will try this one. Why is this version so much smaller?

OK it boots, but the video seems messed up. Getting the cdboot:done screen with colored squares.

I rebooted again and this time I get no video squares. Just boots to cdboot:done

You have to put chameleon on it, don't you???

Lol... I don't know :)

Like I said I just had a quick play with Trauma's BootCDMaker... I have never used it before, and I didn't test the result.. I obviously did something wrong..

So, Last attempt - I am just uploaded v1.03 of my BootCD to try. (If this doesn't work then I am going to have to leave it) - Keep you eye on the front page.. shouldn't be long :)

EDIT: I rushed the BootCDMaker and messed it up....looking at it, I left my video resolution (1680x1050) in the com.apple.Boot.plist which probably had something to do with the squares you saw.

Thanks for the effort! Will give it another go.

Nope! Guess I'll have to get a SATA dvd drive after all. Thanks for the effort. :-(

Ah well, it was worth a try... Sorry it didn't help, but thanks for testing it out..

EDIT: And I have removed the link on the front page for that trial too.

Haven't heard back from our second BootCD tester, Vis yet? ;)

@-pacific-aya - Can you confirm your hardware please? Are you using SATA, even though you have chosen not to use AHCI? You say you used a modded AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, was it this one?

EDIT: I have just tried, with only adding JMicron.kext in /E/E, setting AHCI mode to Disabled with my setup and booting in to SL. It failed to boot with the circle and the line through it above the apple logo. I'll stick with AHCI.

I use SL with all your settings including your dsdt.aml (I installed it according to your manual from the usb bootable drive).  I have the same BIOS version (f10). The only kexts I downloaded from different location was this two. AHCI in BIOS is set to off, sata 01-04 to native mode. It works perfect (but sata 05 - 06 don't work at all).

sata.zip

Ah well, it was worth a try... Sorry it didn't help, but thanks for testing it out..

EDIT: And I have removed the link on the front page for that trial too.

Haven't heard back from our second BootCD tester, Vis yet? ;)

@-pacific-aya - Can you confirm your hardware please? Are you using SATA, even though you have chosen not to use AHCI?

Sorry, had to pick up the kids from school.

It failed, just stalled on "done". I've coastered 5 cds now, so it looks like I'm on hold for now. Thanks for the effort though!

Sorry, had to pick up the kids from school.

It failed, just stalled on "done". I've coastered 5 cds now, so it looks like I'm on hold for now. Thanks for the effort though!

No probs, Kids come first.. ;)

Thanks for trying. Yeah I've stopped too. I don't know what the problem could be for you and valdanta68, other than non-SATA, as others have reported success with the BootCD..

@-pacific-aya - Can you confirm your hardware please? Are you using SATA, even though you have chosen not to use AHCI? You say you used a modded AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, was it this one?

Yes to all =)

hardware: GB EP45DS3L, BIOS rev. f10, 3 SATA hdd drives, 1 SATA DVD-RW drive. BIOS settings are described above =) 

Thanks, I have just added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to my /E/E and I will try rebooting with BIOS AHCI mode disabled.. (not just yet, as I am doing some PHP coding, but in a little while)

EDIT: I have just done my tests with using AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and AHCI mode turned off.

Well it does work just as -pacific-aya described, and boot time is faster but on my system, not by much.

But the problem I see with this, is you lose the benefit of AHCI. And one of the benefits is NCQ (Native Command Queuing), which increases the performance of SATA HDD's. Now whether or not this is noticeable in real world use is another thing, but personally I'll stick to running without adding it as I have SATA. But for anyone using ATA drives, then this is the way to use Snow Leopard.

See the attached screenshots from System Profiler with and without loading AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext at boot. Without it you will see OS X recognised the ICH10 on the GA-EP45-DS3L natively.

post-331032-1252616242_thumb.png

post-331032-1252616615_thumb.png

10.6.1 is out and available via Software Update.

As normal it's always wise to run the update to a backup/test volume first. I have just done so and it works fine ;)

Note: Make sure you have stuck to this install guide to keep the system untouched and not added extra stuff to /SL/E.

post-331032-1252618147_thumb.png

Hi :wallbash:

sorry if this issue has been already covered. But when I hit "Sleep" in the apple menu, the computer actually completely shuts down. The hibernate mode is set to S3 (suspend to ram) in the bios.

GFX works via EFI string and I'm using OpenHaltRestart.kext. Shutdown and reboot works fine :blowup: Any help on this?

Got the bootCD to boot!! Confirmed needed a SATA DVD drive. Boots perfectly. Now to install Snow! I will post screenshot if I succeed, wish me luck!

I burnt it from disk utility on leopard and my dvd drive is sata

but the CD cannot be bootup. It show me a cursor prompt and till timeout to boot my windows hdd

First I would like to thank blackosx for his guide. Let me explain my situation right now. I have 2 500GB SATA drives, the 1st drive (0) one used for Leopard 10.5.7 works fine with DSDT but no build-in ethernet or sound working, partition as specified in the guide step 1 with chameleon partition. Then I decided to install 10.6 in a 2nd hard disk (1) same partition as 1st one but with chameleon 10.6.I finish to install 10.6 in the second drive but when and use Pf12 to switch to 2nd drive but I get 'Can't find Mach_kernel' while selecting Snow Leopard partition. Can somebody tell what I am missing? If I use boocd I have no problem booting to Snow Leopard. It seems I am having a problem with Chameleon 10.6 partition. for other information I did copy boot from chameleon v2 RC3 r658 to chameleon 10.6 partition.

My setup:

GA-EP45-UD3R

PALIN 8800GT 512

Q9400

ethernet pci card

4 GB memory

Got the bootCD to boot!! Confirmed needed a SATA DVD drive. Boots perfectly. Now to install Snow! I will post screenshot if I succeed, wish me luck!

Ahh, good to know, but means I need a stupid sata drive to install. arg.

this is what i see in 10.6 when i browse my system volume with finder

post-389662-1252641956_thumb.png

does this look normal? when i installed 10.5.8 i didnt see the other directories (dev, net, sbin, cores... etc). I just had the special folder ones (system, library, applications and users).

Is this a problem? and how can i hide these special folders.

this is what i see in 10.6 when i browse my system volume with finder

post-389662-1252641956_thumb.png

does this look normal? when i installed 10.5.8 i didnt see the other directories (dev, net, sbin, cores... etc). I just had the special folder ones (system, library, applications and users).

Is this a problem? and how can i hide these special folders.

i had this same problem when i installed with the OSInstall.mpkg method. it has been determined that you should avoid installing with this method as it is known to cause issues/errors.

when i re-installed via the USB stick method, my folder structure looked correct (Applications, Library, System, Users).

try re-installing SL via a bootable usb stick and i think your problem will be solved, i know mine was.

good luck!