[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

i had this same problem when i installed with the OSInstall.mpkg method. it has been determined that you should avoid installing with this method as it is known to cause issues/errors.

when i re-installed via the USB stick method, my folder structure looked correct (Applications, Library, System, Users).

try re-installing SL via a bootable usb stick and i think your problem will be solved, i know mine was.

good luck!

thanks robot, i feared it was something like that. when i attempted the usb/cd install i got a kp but this was a couple of weeks ago. new chameleon fixed all my stability issues now so maybe i'll give the usb install another shot.

No you didn't offend me. I understand how frustrating it can be when Snow Leopard won't install so well done. But like I said, a link to that is already on the front page, it's just that not many people actually completely read it! But I take your point about simplicity of that guide and I think it helps that the lifehacker guide was written after this one was started and was written using fore knowledge of the pitfalls which at the time for me were unknown.

But the main thing is that everyone gets to install Snow Leopard regardless of which guide they use. So Well done again ;)

SL installation process was much simpler than Leopard. I think Chameleon version 2 RC 3 made a boot process much easier to deal with and SL is more PC friendly (at least for GA-EP45-DS3L mb is concerned) than Leopard. Best thing about BlackOSX's guide is that it shows screenshots of the installation process (and especially the one which shows screen of /Extra folder). It took me 20+ hrs to get Leopard to work, but it only took me about 3+hrs (+3 hrs for dual boot) to get SL to work properly.

Bonjour now reported to work with new Realtek driver. So the ifconfig workaround is no longer needed. I haven't tried it yet, but I will this evening and if successful, will update the guide and Support Files etc. But first I want to check it's working with the kernel booted in both 32 and 64-bit mode.

You can find out more here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181133

EDIT: Best stick with the Bonjour Applescript to invoke the ifconfig command for the moment, as this Realtek driver doesn't work as I had hoped..

I've made two observations on the 10.6.1 update (at least on my computer):

1. SL now boots significantly faster. Barely 2 seconds from Chameleon compared to the over 7 seconds in 10.6.0.

2. I can't seem to overclock anymore. Any attempt to boost the FSB in the BIOS from the default 266MHz results in a reset to 267MHz. 10.6.1 is the only thing that has changed, although I am not excluding this to be a coincidence. The power supply has been suspect since I built it.

3. I run install and it freeze at the spinning circle.. I have tried with -v and saw that startup is freezing after AppleRTL8169 ethernet address: XXXXXXXX

Do you think that my ATI 4870 is problem? And if it is - than I must install from working Leo, because I cannot patch with boot CD?

I have exactly the same issue with my Sapphire Radeon 3870, it seems that it does not switch to Graphics Mode.

I installed SnowLeopard to a spare ESATA HDD from my MacBook Pro, then i hung the HDD to my HackPro and it stopped with the line: AppleRTL8169 blablabla. After that i digged up my XFX Radeon 4890 and it booted right into SnowLeopard. There i only had 1024x768 as GFX mode though. When i tried to get GFX working properly i f***ed up the system.

So another try with the boot CD, at least "it" booted into the installer with the 4890 but GFX output hangs at "34 Minutes to go". Grrr.

Edit:A big thanks to those who gave me hints on the issue. :wacko:

So...why would I want to use that driver, when I can use native one ?

The idea was that ifconfig is a bit of a hack and the new Realtek driver apart from Bonjour gives Gigabit ethernet. But after playing with it, I will stick with ifconfig.

I've made two observations on the 10.6.1 update (at least on my computer):

1. SL now boots significantly faster. Barely 2 seconds from Chameleon compared to the over 7 seconds in 10.6.0.

2. I can't seem to overclock anymore. Any attempt to boost the FSB in the BIOS from the default 266MHz results in a reset to 267MHz. 10.6.1 is the only thing that has changed, although I am not excluding this to be a coincidence. The power supply has been suspect since I built it.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in boot times. What hardware are you running? I wouldn't have thought that 10.6.1 would affect your FSB overclock. But anythings possible these days...?

I have exactly the same issue with my Sapphire Radeon 3870, it seems that it does not switch to Graphics Mode.

I installed SnowLeopard to a spare ESATA HDD from my MacBook Pro, then i hung the HDD to my HackPro and it stopped with the line: AppleRTL8169 blablabla. After that i digged up my XFX Radeon 4890 and it booted right into SnowLeopard. There i only had 1024x768 as GFX mode though. When i tried to get GFX working properly i f***ed up the system.

So another try with the boot CD, at least "it" booted into the installer with the 4890 but GFX output hangs at "34 Minutes to go". Grrr.

Reading Netkas' site (From the 15th August - So I don't know if the graphics driver update with 10.6.1 changed anything?) about your 3870 he says....

2600PRO/XT and 3870 known to have problems with qe/ci/opengl, you need to remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext to get at least resolution change working.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in boot times. What hardware are you running? I wouldn't have thought that 10.6.1 would affect your FSB overclock. But anythings possible these days...?

GA-EP45-DS3L with a Q6600 at 2.4GHz, 1.07GHz FSB (used to be 3.0 with 1.33 FSB, which passed every stress test but now doesn't work anymore), 8GB 800 MHz memory (4 2GB sticks), 9800GTX+ 512MB, 750GB SATA hard drive, 250GB IDE hard drive, and a crappy IDE DVD burner. At least the DVD drive matches the case, which is the only good thing I can say about it.

I'm using the F9 bios, so I'm considering upgrading to F10, but I can't imagine that's what's causing this all of a sudden. Perhaps the CMOS battery is dead? But I was always under the impression that would reset other settings, as well, and since the FSB is the only setting that defaults I am guessing it's something with the power supply, the north bridge, or the 10.6.1 update. I have no idea how the update could have caused this, and the north bridge works without error at 1.07GHz FSB, so I'm leaning toward the power supply coincidentally not providing enough voltage.

Thanks for your help. I installed Snow Leopard with your DVD, rebooted to the Desktop (Radeon 489 1024x768). Applied 10.6.1 update and Netkas 10.6.1 QE/CI enabler.Reboot - and - no go.

It seems that both of my GFX cards have a driver issue, maybe i should switch to Nvidia... Your install DVD does work fine with GA-P35-DS4 though.

Edit: Maybe i will try this Evo Enabler thingie.

Just updated to 10.6.1 and all my stability issues are gone :D no need for a reinstall anymore!

This is great news - thanks for reporting Lintendo :D

Edit: Maybe i will try this Evo Enabler thingie.

Good find Donar. If that Evo Enabler helps then please let me know and I will add it to the front page :D

Just updated to 10.6.1 and all my stability issues are gone :D no need for a reinstall anymore!

But I'll try to make a boot cd anyway this weekend, will need it sometime for sure...

Yes Kitty is perfectly stable for me too. Only once Safari gone crazy, beachballing on some specific site every time so I just reseted it and it works OK now...still I think that is general Safari issue not hack problem. And I tried to encode some MKV i have to MP4 and Handbrake crashed for me every time but I don't think this is hack related either.

EDIT: And I love that apple keyboard, since I really like the notebook keyboards and this one is so nice and clean, and oh my I have so much room on my table now :-)

Ye I no longer need to think like "what the f*** is that symbol in shortcut" :( And I am still learning to write on it however. As I am not only server admin but a hobby .net developer too and I am using czech keyboard scheme which is a lot different from english one because it use upper numeric keys for writing some accented letters and numbers are with shift. Thing is on windows for example @ is Alt+V and here it is (more logically) Alt+2, but i have major issues with all the brackets, because I am learning Obj-C and Cocoa framework now. (Well I want to make some money create great apps for iPhone :D ) Luckily I have czech scheme keyboard and it has excellent prints of all Alt-Keys on it, so it just slows me down a little.

And I had to print part of Bootcamp manual to know how to use it on Windows, which I boot very rarely nowadays tho. :)

Can this guide be used for an ASUS P5Q3?

Thanks

As a general guide yes, but your MB has most of components different. You can read the guide try to adapt it for your MB, but there will be some differences in both used kexts and DSDT, so you won't have it so easy like rest of us.

Ye I no longer need to think like "what the f*** is that symbol in shortcut" :( And I am still learning to write on it however. As I am not only server admin but a hobby .net developer too and I am using czech keyboard scheme which is a lot different from english one because it use upper numeric keys for writing some accented letters and numbers are with shift. Thing is on windows for example @ is Alt+V and here it is (more logically) Alt+2, but i have major issues with all the brackets, because I am learning Obj-C and Cocoa framework now. (Well I want to make some money create great apps for iPhone :D ) Luckily I have czech scheme keyboard and it has excellent prints of all Alt-Keys on it, so it just slows me down a little.

And I had to print part of Bootcamp manual to know how to use it on Windows, which I boot very rarely nowadays tho. :)

Lol... well you're doing very well and your typing seems better than mine!, I used a German keyboard layout once and that was enough to confuse me :D

The only way I can think of checking to be sure is to install another copy of SnowLeopard on an different partition or HD but leave it at 10.6. Now you have Chameleon set up, it will be easy to install and boot from.

When I installed SL on this computer the first time I also made a second 10.6.0 install on an external hard drive. Looks like it will yet be useful :(

It seems to be the power supply. I opened it up and I realized that I still had a 430W unit in there. I meant to replace it with something beefier but never got around it. I suppose running two monitors on the power hungry 9800 with an overclocked CPU, 8GB of memory, two hard drives, and a phone charging from USB was a little too much for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 550W - 600W class power supply? I've always used CoolerMaster and Antec, but I'm open to other ideas.

Another thing I noticed: System Profiler now tells me "there was an error while gathering this information" when I view the Memory entry. Before with 10.6.0 and Cham RC1 with netkas' boot file it correctly identified all modules. Does anyone else have this? Or is this, too, a product of my own stupidity? lol

At least you have tracked down the issue. I am using an Antec 500W EarthWatts PSU, and for me it's been great. I have also just tried to view memory in System Profiler and it tells me "there was an error while gathering this information" too. But I have been messing about with different SMBIOS's and the one I am currently using doesn't contain and info for my memory... so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have updated the Install Guide PDF to v2.4.

I have just rebooted using my original SMBIOS.plist I built and the Memory show fine now in System Profiler :)

So yes, it's a SMBIOS issue.

My SMBIOS contains the proper memory identification, manufacturer, serial numbers etc.. and it reads perfectly. I was just doing test earlier to see if a different SMBIOS gave me a different Geekbench result.

post-331032-1252717402_thumb.png

Hey Blackosx,

I was thinking about upgrading to either a GA-P55-UD6 which is an intel 1156 socket or a EX58-UD5 which is a 1366 socket. What would be your preference?

Also I'm considering a i7-950 CPU 3.06Ghz (1366 socket)

or a i7-860 2.8Ghz (1156 socket)

Any preference on CPU?

And regarding graphics do you favor ATI or NVidia?

Thanks Mate! :)