[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Thanks Blackosx, just installed this version (Install Guide PDF v2.3, Install Guide Support Files v1.6,, Chameleon v2 RC3 boot file, GA-EP45-DS3L BOOTCD v1.01) and it worked perfectly using the Boot Disc install.

Thankyou so much for all your effort!!! :D

I tried lots of stuff to get sleep working but no success.

I disabled overclocking, tried every possible combination of the kexts in /Extra/Extensions and patched my AppleLPC.kext to have my device id so that I could tick "restart automatically after power failure" in energy saving options. Still Nothing...

No success with the KPs in single user / safe mode as well.

I'll give up now. Unless anybody of you has more suggestions :(

Fantastic - Thanks for the report. AngelX :(

Can you list what hardware you're running?

2.83 GHz Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550

8GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066)

EVGA Geforce 9800GTX KO Version 512MB

Optiarc AAD-7240S SATA DVDRW

LiteOn IHAS324-32 SATA DVDRW

Official Apple Wireless Keyboard

Official Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse

LG 22" M227WD Monitor

3x 1TB Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1 SATA HDD

Nice system - So I guess you have this motherboard then?.... Thanks AngelX. It's good for everyone to use for comparison :)

Yep, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L, with the F10 BIOS.

Epson Stylus Photo R285 and Canon CanoScan 4400F scanner working perfectly on Snow Leopard (For anyone interested in adding a printer/scanner)

XP works fine via VMware Fusion v2.0.5 (173382) too :D

Damn, you sure you didn't tried to merge some another download folder with it ? Because I once deleted folder like that because i didn't know that os x replaces folders instead of merging them like windows does (that is so stupid !). But I was wondering a lot why Apple removed default write support that was in one SL beta. You can't access it even on windows ? Maybe chkdisk can help (or finish it).

Thank you for the tip with chkdsk titan4! :)

I just tried it (didn't have the time before), chkdsk found a lot of errors and I now have access to the files again... :D

I'm still looking to see if anyone has managed a p35-ds3l boot disk as the other methods do no seem to work for me for whatever reason. Anyone? Tried brewing my own as well as using the one listed here since the motherboards are similar but both give me a black screen when the cd starts to boot up and then restarts my rig..rinse and repeat.

I'm still looking to see if anyone has managed a p35-ds3l boot disk as the other methods do no seem to work for me for whatever reason. Anyone? Tried brewing my own as well as using the one listed here since the motherboards are similar but both give me a black screen when the cd starts to boot up and then restarts my rig..rinse and repeat.

Vis,

We have the nearly the exact same mobo and the first bootcd blackosx posted worked for me. I'm fairly certain that he has updated the bootcd to work specifically with his mobo so I'm not sure which boot iso you've got over there.

I would double check your bios settings. I'm using F12 bios.

Here's the 1st bootcd try this 1st BootCD

Need some help..

Everything installed fine for me and now i'm trying to boot SL from my snow leopard disk.

If i boot without EFI string for my gfx it boots fine into SL but when i put in the hex string in com.apple plist, i will just end up with a blank screen.

using -v -f at cham boot screen reveals no KP or errors...everything runs okay then suddenly just a blank screen

here's my com.apply plist..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Rescan Prompt</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string> A LOT OF HEX NUMBER </string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Maybe try resetting your BIOS to defaults, then just activating AHCI and 64-bit HPET?

Everything installed fine for me and now i'm trying to boot SL from my snow leopard disk.

If i boot without EFI string for my gfx it boots fine into SL but when i put in the hex string in com.apple plist, i will just end up with a blank screen.

Well done with your install :P

What video card are you using? Maybe the device (EFI) string you are using is incorrect? Have you tried patching your DSDT with the video?

I'm using XFX 8500GT 256mb

Ive tried different combinations basically:

Video patched DSDT

Video patched DSDT + Leopard produced EFI

Leopard produced EFI only

Snow Leopard produced EFI only

nothing seems to work. i'm stumped.

also, SL doesn't sleep properly...it kinda similar to sleeping with eyes open. hehe..my screen will be present, but i know the hard disk or (OS) has gone to sleep. it takes a few seconds of physically moving my mouse before the cursor starts moving.

Tried the boot disk listed above, thanks, but still no go. Tried re-setting bios to default except for achi and 64 hpet, same thing. Bios for the ga-p35-ds3l is the latest, flashed today, same problem. It just loads up the boot disk, goes dark and reboots.

I'm using XFX 8500GT 256mb

Ive tried different combinations basically:

Video patched DSDT

Video patched DSDT + Leopard produced EFI

Leopard produced EFI only

Snow Leopard produced EFI only

nothing seems to work. i'm stumped.

Well sleep is linked to video so you need to get your video working. I suggest you have a search for anyone else using your video card and ask how they did it... That's the easiest option.

I have EP45-DS4 and I can't start installation of Snow Leopard with new boot disk...

I have only one HDD at SATA0 and Pioneer SATA DVD at SATA3

1. I load default settings for bios ver.9, then set SATA to AHCI, enable HPET and set to 64bit, and I also must enable usb support for mouse and keyboard.

Should I change anything else?

2. Start machine with new RC3 boot CD ... change with retail DVD hit F5, and then my icons rearrange - my DVD become last and change from P45-DS3L to Mac OS Install DVD..

3. I run install and it freeze at the spinning circle.. I have tried with -v and saw that startup is freezing after AppleRTL8169 ethernet address: XXXXXXXX

Any help, link, suggestions will be very helpful tnx

update!!!

If I boot with arch=386 -v the first booting - installations stop at:

virtual bool IOHIDeventSystemUserClient:: initWithTask (task*, void*, UInt32): Client task not privileged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory

Okay, managed to solve my graphics problem.

SO to anyone who has problem booting fine into SL but is greeted with a blank screen but you know the OS is running.

Solution:

Instead of using EFI studio, I used OSX86Tools to generate a custom hex. Instead of choosing a predefined video card, I used "Custom Geforce Hex", then entered the name i wanted, and the memory size and the output (DVI/VGA, VGA/DVI etc) and it generated a hex.

I just pasted the hex into the com.apple plist and it worked.

...now to sort out my audio...

Okay, managed to solve my graphics problem.

SO to anyone who has problem booting fine into SL but is greeted with a blank screen but you know the OS is running.

Solution:

Instead of using EFI studio, I used OSX86Tools to generate a custom hex. Instead of choosing a predefined video card, I used "Custom Geforce Hex", then entered the name i wanted, and the memory size and the output (DVI/VGA, VGA/DVI etc) and it generated a hex.

I just pasted the hex into the com.apple plist and it worked.

Well done remeron :)

Hi The Alchemist

Thanks - I try to keep it all up to date - But I will be going away for a week soon so it will be up to all of you to keep this thread going :)

Well done for tweaking this install for your mobo. But strange you're not getting past the boot0: Done..?

You could try to manually install the stage 0 and 1 boot files... To do that try this..

Download the Chameleon v2 RC3 binaries, unarchive it and load up terminal.

Type diskutil list to list your disk structure and under the IDENTIFIER column, note your disk number for the Cham partition (i.e.. disk1s2) and then type...

cd (space) then drag the 'i386' folder to the Terminal and press return.

then type...

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

then type...

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

You should already have the boot file in the root of your Cham partition.

Try that to see if it makes a difference, if not the go back to using the installer (Maybe even try RC1 r431).

Well, none of that unfortunately made any difference for me, so i did a fresh install on a different disk and yes!..chameleon loads fine from the cham partition now!

But rest is pretty much still the same, once i boot into the 10.6, my PS/2 ports don't work and there is no extensions.mkext in Cham/Extra, how do i know if all the kexts in E/E are properly loaded?

Disk utility still crashes when launched from spotlight.

The error log shows this:

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _DMDiskChangedNotification

Referenced from: /Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/DUSupport.framework/Versions/A/DUSupport

Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/DiskManagement

I'm done with repairing permissions and all but no changes, do i need to run kext utility or the terminal commands you mentioned at the end of the tutorial under Fix A, B?

Also, do i need to remove in extensions from System/Library/Extensions to avoid any conflicts in future?

I think i'm pretty close now, a few fixes here and there will do the job, i guess, but i'm not sure about what they are.:)

Okay, So by you re-installing it all a second time it's now working - Well done :)

As for the PS/2 keyboard and mouse, this guide is written for using a USB keyboard and mouse as in the list of requirements. You are going to have to install drivers for your PS/2 ones to work.

I am not using an Extensions.mkext in /Extra. All the kexts I supply are verified as working from /Extra. You will know if your kexts are loaded because they are there for a specifc purpose. If you can't boot, then fakesmc isn't loaded, if your icons are orange then IOAHCIBlockStorageinjector isn't loaded and so on.. (Try removing your kexts and see if your system is different? - if it's exactly the same without them then you know they are not being loaded)... (But make sure you have a way of booting your system when it fails to boot!)

What happens when you try and load disk utility normally, and not through spotlight? if it works, then I guess somehow, you have a spotlight problem, which I have seen other threads mentioning. So maybe have a search for that?

If you installed from the BootCD and you shouldn't need to run any permissions check, kext utility etc..

As for removing extensions from /S/L/E, it's up to you. But personally I don't and won't touch the system install. The only reason you might need to is if you have some obscure hardware which needs a driver which will only work from S/L/E).

Okay, So by you re-installing it all a second time it's now working - Well done :D

As for the PS/2 keyboard and mouse, this guide is written for using a USB keyboard and mouse as in the list of requirements. You are going to have to install drivers for your PS/2 ones to work.

I am not using an Extensions.mkext in /Extra. All the kexts I supply are verified as working from /Extra. You will know if your kexts are loaded because they are there for a specifc purpose. If you can't boot, then fakesmc isn't loaded, if your icons are orange then IOAHCIBlockStorageinjector isn't loaded and so on.. (Try removing your kexts and see if your system is different? - if it's exactly the same without them then you know they are not being loaded)... (But make sure you have a way of booting your system when it fails to boot!)

What happens when you try and load disk utility normally, and not through spotlight? if it works, then I guess somehow, you have a spotlight problem, which I have seen other threads mentioning. So maybe have a search for that?

If you installed from the BootCD and you shouldn't need to run any permissions check, kext utility etc..

As for removing extensions from /S/L/E, it's up to you. But personally I don't and won't touch the system install. The only reason you might need to is if you have some obscure hardware which needs a driver which will only work from S/L/E).

Thanks a lot for addressing all issues in detail.

Well, the working PS/2 driver for 10.6 is already there in E/E and it worked through the preboot.dmg in bootCD throughtout the installation process.

Disk utility loads fine when launched from Utilties folder directly, i've searched but so far no satisfactory results.

Also, another problem with spotlight is that, in finder it returns 0 search results when i search for something in that particular folder, instead of "this mac". I don't know if that's a known issue or what.

Like if i seach for some kext in extensions folder selecting the folder itself as a location to look for, it returns 0 results for any query.

And the boot is fairly slow to begin with, when i boot with -v, just after it says DSMOS has arrived, it shows my ethernet controller detected and , then it stalls for about 3-4 minutes till the desktop loads, i don't know why this is happening.

My sound doesn't work either, its ALC888 and i followed the same instructions as mentioned by you, patched the dsdt and put the AppleHDA.kext in E/E, but its no go.

How do i know if my DSDT loads as intended?, i havn't patched my Graphics through it, as i used EFI strings for the same purpose.

Sorry for too many questions but i'm really flustered now.

So the PS/2 Driver that worked with the BootCD fails to load from /Extra?

Have you tried the driver from here?

I don't know about your issue with spotlight, I don't have that problem and have never come across it. Sorry.

You boot time is very long, mine take 30 seconds (most of that is the damn Gigabyte AHCI code in the BIOS). Maybe you need different kexts for your mobo? All I know is that the files I have in the put in the Support Files, although they are generic, have been tested and work great with the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Again, the audio, has been tried and tested with the GA-EP45-DS3L. You say your mobo uses ALC888 so in theory it should work, but if it doesn't then you will have to find a thread dedicated to audio for your mobo.

To know if your DSDT loads correctly? I'm not sure, other than checking for items specifically in the DSDT are present on your system. Have you added ApexDE's USB EHCI fix? if so then you can tell it your DSDT is loading as your USB ports will be reported as Built-In in System Profiler..

Thanks again for you guide blackosx, because with all I learned from you I managed to install Snow Kitty on my Thinkpad T61 notebook ! I have yet to tweak some drivers and I am far from having such nice clean setup because some kexts like Intel82566MM.kext for network is not working from /E/E for me, but still - thank you again.

Well done titan4.

Thanks for letting me know the guides have helped you learn as that was the original point to me making them. When I started out with my system, I found it difficult to understand what everybody was talking about and had many questions like what's a kext?, how do they work? where do they go? and to find out the answers I had to spend months reading, testing and trialling different builds etc..

There is still a lot I don't know and all my knowledge has come from only using my hardware, so different hardware will present different challenges. I couldn't possibly document everything I know, but as long as what I have done has helped you and anyone else here get a good grasp of the basics then they have served their purpose.

So the PS/2 Driver that worked with the BootCD fails to load from /Extra?

Have you tried the driver from here?

I don't know about your issue with spotlight, I don't have that problem and have never come across it. Sorry.

You boot time is very long, mine take 30 seconds (most of that is the damn Gigabyte AHCI code in the BIOS). Maybe you need different kexts for your mobo? All I know is that the files I have in the put in the Support Files, although they are generic, have been tested and work great with the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Again, the audio, has been tried and tested with the GA-EP45-DS3L. You say your mobo uses ALC888 so in theory it should work, but if it doesn't then you will have to find a thread dedicated to audio for your mobo.

To know if your DSDT loads correctly? I'm not sure, other than checking for items specifically in the DSDT are present on your system. Have you added ApexDE's USB EHCI fix? if so then you can tell it your DSDT is loading as your USB ports will be reported as Built-In in System Profiler..

Yes, i used the same driver for PS/2 as on stell's blog, anyway i removed dsdt.aml, and my PS/2 devices are working normally now, and i don't feel any changes due to removal of dsdt. Only things i actually patched in dsdt were sound and

Ethernet but sound isn't working already and my realtek 8169B ethernet works out of the box( i don't knw how!?)

Bonjour still doesn't work though.

I don't think i need to use any special kexts for my mobo apart from the ones that i'm using for PS/2 and my ICH9 SATA, the only kexts currently in my E/E the generic ones, SMC, sleep enabler etc.

I've attached a list of kexts i'm using currently.

post-250590-1252583551_thumb.png

I've also somehow managed to fixed spotlight issues, i was even experiencing some weird "privacy list error" when adding folders/drives to exceptions in spotlight but after deleting .Spotlight-V100 folder, everything is working as it should.

I havn't bothered to fix USB as of now actually as the main things that remain to be looked after are:

1. Sound

2. Boot time

Even if everything works, the long boot time is a big turn off for me, my 10.5 booted in less than 30 seconds flat.

Here is my boot log:

10/09/09 2:24:59 PM kernel BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 2

10/09/09 2:24:59 PM kernel in6_ifattach_linklocal: nd6_prelist_add failed 12

10/09/09 2:24:59 PM kernel in6_ifattach: lo0 failed to attach a linklocal address.

10/09/09 2:24:56 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***

10/09/09 2:24:56 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. ***

10/09/09 2:25:00 PM kernel AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:19:db:b5:b4:d4

10/09/09 2:25:01 PM kernel systemShutdown false

10/09/09 2:25:03 PM configd[13] BUG in libdispatch: 10A432 - 1656 - 0x9507

10/09/09 2:25:05 PM configd[13] setting hostname to "Steves-iMac.local"

10/09/09 2:25:05 PM configd[13] network configuration changed.

10/09/09 2:25:06 PM mDNSResponder[51] mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-212.1 (Jul 24 2009 22:34:12) starting

10/09/09 2:25:06 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[48] Session 0x5fbff962 created

10/09/09 2:25:07 PM bootlog[62] BOOT_TIME: 1252572896 0

10/09/09 2:25:07 PM com.apple.usbmuxd[44] usbmuxd-167.1 built for iTunesEightTwo on Jul 9 2009 at 14:02:00, running 32 bit

10/09/09 2:25:07 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[48] Entering service

10/09/09 2:25:07 PM configd[13] network configuration changed.

10/09/09 2:25:07 PM configd[13] network configuration changed.

10/09/09 2:25:09 PM kernel Waiting for DSMOS...

10/09/09 2:25:09 PM kernel Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1

10/09/09 2:25:09 PM kernel Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

10/09/09 2:25:09 PM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

10/09/09 2:25:09 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[52] Login Window Application Started

10/09/09 2:25:10 PM kernel NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

10/09/09 2:25:10 PM kernel DSMOS has arrived

10/09/09 2:25:10 PM configd[13] network configuration changed.

10/09/09 2:25:14 PM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: Busy services :

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1 [1]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert [1]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0 [1]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI [1]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SAT1@1F,5 [1]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SAT1@1F,5/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot [2]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SAT1@1F,5/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN0@0 [1]

10/09/09 2:25:59 PM configd[13] InterfaceNamer: iMac8,1/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SAT1@1F,5/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN1@1 [1]

10/09/09 2:26:11 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[48] Session 0x233a9e created

10/09/09 2:26:11 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[48] Session 0x233a9e attributes 0x30

10/09/09 2:26:16 PM WindowServer[89] kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

10/09/09 2:26:16 PM com.apple.WindowServer[89] Thu Sep 10 14:26:16 Steves-iMac.local WindowServer[89] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

10/09/09 2:26:16 PM loginwindow[52] Login Window Started Security Agent

10/09/09 2:26:16 PM SecurityAgent[118] User info context values set for steve

10/09/09 2:26:16 PM SecurityAgent[118] Login Window login proceeding

10/09/09 2:26:17 PM SecurityAgent[118] Login Window done

10/09/09 2:26:17 PM loginwindow[52] Login Window - Returned from Security Agent

10/09/09 2:26:17 PM loginwindow[52] USER_PROCESS: 52 console

I've marked in bold the point where the loading stalls for 2-3 minutes before desktop loads.

I don't know what it is, but it seems like it waits for something called IOKit which leads to the long boot time.

Also i'd like to know if its possible to clean install 10.6 from within the OS.