[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

i had this same problem when i installed with the OSInstall.mpkg method. it has been determined that you should avoid installing with this method as it is known to cause issues/errors.

when i re-installed via the USB stick method, my folder structure looked correct (Applications, Library, System, Users).

try re-installing SL via a bootable usb stick and i think your problem will be solved, i know mine was.

good luck!

Hey there,

Hope to get some insight from you.

You installed using the 8GB USB disk mode, right?

I am trying the CD method, but I am getting the spinner and it goes on and on for ever.

Please check my image out. Its been stuck there for hours now.

post-272292-1252650000_thumb.jpg

Got the bootCD to boot!! Confirmed needed a SATA DVD drive. Boots perfectly. Now to install Snow! I will post screenshot if I succeed, wish me luck!

Great. I hope the install goes well for you ;)

I am trying the CD method, but I am getting the spinner and it goes on and on for ever.

What motherboard and hardware are you using ?

@adrian mak - Same question to you..

I am using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L as well, same setup as yours.

Try resetting your BIOS to defaults, then just enabling AHCI and HPET to 64-bit. Maybe try unplugging any other SATA HD's than the one you want to install to?

EDIT: - Yes you will get a CMOS error. Read the guide!... So you only want to use the BootCD as little as possible.

Try resetting your BIOS to defaults, then just enabling AHCI and HPET to 64-bit. Maybe try unplugging any other SATA HD's than the one you want to install to?

EDIT: - Yes you will get a CMOS error. Read the guide!... So you only want to use the BootCD as little as possible.

I actually just found out, I have a GA-EP35-DS3L BIOS F6.

Do you think it might still work?

I am going to attempt the USB disk method.

...Then I decided to install 10.6 in a 2nd hard disk (1) same partition as 1st one but with chameleon 10.6.I finish to install 10.6 in the second drive but when and use Pf12 to switch to 2nd drive but I get 'Can't find Mach_kernel' while selecting Snow Leopard partition.

@msb - The 'Can't find Mach_kernel' message appears when chameleon tries to boot a partition without a kernel.

So when you press F12 in the BIOS, does your system boot in to the new Chameleon partition you have installed on your 2nd HDD with Snow Leopard on? From there you should just be able to select SnowLeopard... Have you installed another SL system to the Backup partition? if you have, then try to select that from Chameleon and that should boot

I actually just found out, I have a GA-EP35-DS3L BIOS F6.

Do you think it might still work?

I am going to attempt the USB disk method.

Like I have said i on my first page of this thread and in the guide, I have based it on using GA-EP45-DS3L with BIOS F10. So if it works on a different mobo then great, if not, then you're going to have to find help from others that are using the same kit as you. The USB method works just as well though. Hopefully you will have more luck with that.

Hi :)

sorry if this issue has been already covered. But when I hit "Sleep" in the apple menu, the computer actually completely shuts down. The hibernate mode is set to S3 (suspend to ram) in the bios.

GFX works via EFI string and I'm using OpenHaltRestart.kext. Shutdown and reboot works fine :) Any help on this?

You are not alone in this one. It does not shutdown, it goes to sleep, but when waking it restarts. I and WildSteve (hope I remember the name correctly) have the same issue and I tried almost everything to no help. I guess it is some hardware incompatibility issue. If you find something please let us know.

sorry if this issue has been already covered. But when I hit "Sleep" in the apple menu, the computer actually completely shuts down. The hibernate mode is set to S3 (suspend to ram) in the bios.

Hi fragreaver, yes you're right, this issue has been covered many times and unfortunately it going to be up to you to find out why. There are many factors affecting sleep, mostly down to your hardware.. for example, one of your devices not complying with the OS and powering down correctly to let the system sleep.

@The Alchemist

Well done for sorting your PS/2 and Spotlight issues. Have try tried the ifconfig bonjour fix?

If you boot from the BootCD or a USB bootdrive, then you can re-install Snow Leopard over the top of your current install.

As for the boot stalling, this is just a guess but maybe try removing your SMBIOS.plist and see what happens?

Havn't tried ifconfig yet, but i somehow managed to get my long boot time fixed, to some extent atleast, by using a different kext for my ICH9 SATA that works only in 32-bit.(i won't be booting 64-bit kernel anyway).

Now , i need to fix two these two main issues first:

1. ALC888Sound

So, what's the best and easiest method to get my sound working here, in leopard i used a modded AppleHDA.kext that used taruga's patches. I don't want to use any dsdt fix here and just want to get it working with least effort as possible, atleast for now so please help me on this.

2. USB : USBEHCI and USBUHCI: unable to initialize uim error which in turn affect sleep and shutdown/restart.

In leopard i used modded usb kexts for this, but again, i'm clueless about how to get it working in SL, with least effort again, any straightforward kexts in E/E will make it right perhaps?

Hey there,

Hope to get some insight from you.

You installed using the 8GB USB disk mode, right?

I have same problem weeks ago, it is same with Boot CD, with USB installation, OSinstall.mpgk.

I can not boot Snow ... maybe here in southern Europe it is too hot for Snow Leopard ;)

Havn't tried ifconfig yet, but i somehow managed to get my long boot time fixed, to some extent atleast, by using a different kext for my ICH9 SATA that works only in 32-bit.(i won't be booting 64-bit kernel anyway).

Now , i need to fix two these two main issues first:

1. ALC888Sound

So, what's the best and easiest method to get my sound working here, in leopard i used a modded AppleHDA.kext that used taruga's patches. I don't want to use any dsdt fix here and just want to get it working with least effort as possible, atleast for now so please help me on this.

2. USB : USBEHCI and USBUHCI: unable to initialize uim error which in turn affect sleep and shutdown/restart.

In leopard i used modded usb kexts for this, but again, i'm clueless about how to get it working in SL, with least effort again, any straightforward kexts in E/E will make it right perhaps?

Hi The Alchemist

I have explained how to get ALC888 sound working for the GA-EP45-DS3L using my DSDT guide and this guide. If it doesn't work for you and you want to use a modified AppleHDA.kext then go ahead and find one that has been successfully reported as working for you mobo. Or you could always have a look at using VoodooHDA. Have a search for it.

Again, for your USB. What I have in this guide works for the GA-EP45-DS3L. Any specifics for other motherboards belong in another thread.

I have same problem weeks ago, it is same with Boot CD, with USB installation, OSinstall.mpgk.

I can not boot Snow ... maybe here in southern Europe it is too hot for Snow Leopard :D

What do you mean? Are you saying you have successfully installed Snow Leopard but you can't boot it?

Blackosx, I wanted to thank you for the great guide you put together here.

However, I think you guide is a bit cumbersome. I have managed to get things working in 1 shot using this guide:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...ne=true&s=i

Again, I think your work is 100% amazing, but maybe those who are having issues with you guide may give this one a try.

There's no dealing with editing anything, and just works.

I have a GA-P35-DS4, Quadcore 8200, 8 GBram ,Geforce 9400 GT 512 mb

I think my motherboard is quite the same- can I use this guide also on my hardware?

Hi artmusic,

This guide might help you get Snow Leopard installed so please, go ahead and try it as the install procedure is pretty generic. :P

But please understand that's as far as this thread goes for other motherboards as I have said before in my thread a few times, any specifics like audio, networking, firewire, wireless etc. not for the GA-EP45-DS3L will need to be worked out by you in a dedicated thread for your mobo.

My intention was and still is to try an keep this thread directed at the GA-EP45-DS3L and not have it convoluted with various problems, solutions and fixes for motherboards which I don't have and therefore can't support as I can't do any testing on.

Blackosx, I wanted to thank you for the great guide you put together here.

However, I think you guide is a bit cumbersome. I have managed to get things working in 1 shot using this guide:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...ne=true&s=i

Again, I think your work is 100% amazing, but maybe those who are having issues with you guide may give this one a try.

There's no dealing with editing anything, and just works.

That's why I have linked to that thread at the bottom my front page, to help anyone who has issues.:)

Well done for getting your system totally up and running and having no issues with it. Now you can relax, update to 10.6.1 and enjoy Snow Leopard. :D

Hi artmusic,

This guide might help you get Snow Leopard installed so please, go ahead and try it as the install procedure is pretty generic. :P

But please understand that's as far as this thread goes for other motherboards as I have said before in my thread a few times, any specifics like audio, networking, firewire, wireless etc. not for the GA-EP45-DS3L will need to be worked out by you in a dedicated thread for your mobo.

My intention was and still is to try an keep this thread directed at the GA-EP45-DS3L and not have it convoluted with various problems, solutions and fixes for motherboards which I don't have and therefore can't support as I can't do any testing on.

That's why I have linked to that thread at the bottom my front page, to help anyone who has issues. :)

Well done for getting your system totally up and running and having no issues with it. Now you can relax and enjoy Snow Leopard. :D

Thanks! Again I wanted to make sure I didnt offend you, your guide was amazing. I'm just too much of a noob still and your guide was maybe 1 level above me, and I was lost!

I just updated to 10.6.1 and it works!

Thanks again :D

EDIT: BTW! It worked for me on a GA-EP35-DS3L, so you may wanna add it to the front page and also to the title, it works 100%.

post-272292-1252662132_thumb.jpg

No you didn't offend me. I understand how frustrating it can be when Snow Leopard won't install so well done. But like I said, a link to that is already on the front page, it's just that not many people actually completely read it! But I take your point about simplicity of that guide and I think it helps that the lifehacker guide was written after this one was started and was written using fore knowledge of the pitfalls which at the time for me were unknown.

But the main thing is that everyone gets to install Snow Leopard regardless of which guide they use. So Well done again :D

No you didn't offend me. I understand how frustrating it can be when Snow Leopard won't install so well done. But like I said, a link to that is already on the front page, it's just that not many people actually completely read it! But I take your point about simplicity of that guide and I think it helps that the lifehacker guide was written after this one was started and was written using fore knowledge of the pitfalls which at the time for me were unknown.

But the main thing is that everyone gets to install Snow Leopard regardless of which guide they use. So Well done again :D

Great! I'll be looking forward to your Mac 10.7.0 Lynx Guide!

Hi The Alchemist

I have explained how to get ALC888 sound working for the GA-EP45-DS3L using my DSDT guide and this guide. If it doesn't work for you and you want to use a modified AppleHDA.kext then go ahead and find one that has been successfully reported as working for you mobo. Or you could always have a look at using VoodooHDA. Have a search for it.

Again, for your USB. What I have in this guide works for the GA-EP45-DS3L. Any specifics for other motherboards belong in another thread.

What do you mean? Are you saying you have successfully installed Snow Leopard but you can't boot it?

I start from the scratch with new boot cd rc3, I switch the disk with Snow Retail hit F5 icons become refreshed and than start installation but stop at spinning circle. Cannot boot with arch=386 too.

I tried to install with USB or OSinstall.mpkg and installation complete fine boot again stuck at the first boot on that spinning circle..

Hi Godowski

Well done for including a signature of your hardware. :)

First thing I notice is you'll have to find out how to patch your graphics drivers for your Radeon 4870. You will need to read here. Now I don't know if that's the cause of your failed boot, but it might be. Have you tried booting with -v (verbose mode) to see where the boot process fails?

Hi Godowski

Well done for including a signature of your hardware. :)

First thing I notice is you'll have to find out how to patch your graphics drivers for your Radeon 4870. You will need to read here. Now I don't know if that's the cause of your failed boot, but it might be. Have you tried booting with -v (verbose mode) to see where the boot process fails?

I have only one HDD at SATA0 and Pioneer SATA DVD at SATA3

1. I load default settings for bios ver.9, then set SATA to AHCI, enable HPET and set to 64bit, and I also must enable usb support for mouse and keyboard.

Should I change anything else?

2. Start machine with new RC3 boot CD ... change with retail DVD hit F5, and then my icons rearrange - my DVD become last and change from P45-DS3L to Mac OS Install DVD..

3. I run install and it freeze at the spinning circle.. I have tried with -v and saw that startup is freezing after AppleRTL8169 ethernet address: XXXXXXXX

If I boot with arch=386 -v the first booting - installations stop at:

AppleRTL8169 ethernet address: XXXXXXXX

virtual bool IOHIDeventSystemUserClient:: initWithTask (task*, void*, UInt32): Client task not privileged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory

Do you think that my ATI 4870 is problem? And if it is - than I must install from working Leo, because I cannot patch with boot CD?

tnx for your time

Do you think that my ATI 4870 is problem? And if it is - than I must install from working Leo, because I cannot patch with boot CD?

I guess you can edit BootCD image and add patched DSDT or add EFI string to com.apple.Boot.plist if this is the case.

I have a GA-P35-DS4, Quadcore 8200, 8 GBram ,Geforce 9400 GT 512 mb

I think my motherboard is quite the same- can I use this guide also on my hardware?

artmusic, i have just installed using this excellent guide on my P35-DS4 and I appear to have everything working apart from sound. So I think the answer to your question is YES but be aware that we have to find a solution for sound somewhere else as this thread is for a different motherboard.

Gigabyte have just finally got round to updating most of the EP45 boards with ACHI v1.20E, but unfortunately still not for the EP45-DS3L (Hopefully soon). One of the benefits of this is faster boot times.

For anybody else who's intestered here's the post about it..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1261352

and you will be able to get the new BIOS from the Gigabyte BIOS page for your motherboard.

I run install and it freeze at the spinning circle.. I have tried with -v and saw that startup is freezing after AppleRTL8169 ethernet address: XXXXXXXX

Hi Godowski

I don't know why your boot stops at AppleRTL8169 ethernet address:

But maybe you can try just unplugging your Network cable or disabling your onboard LAN in the BIOS?

As for your 4870, have you read about it and found out what's needed? maybe it's just a kext you need? And if you opt for the USB install, then you can add that kext to the USB.

artmusic, i have just installed using this excellent guide on my P35-DS4 and I appear to have everything working apart from sound. So I think the answer to your question is YES but be aware that we have to find a solution for sound somewhere else as this thread is for a different motherboard.

Hi The Gael - Well done with your successful install ;)

Hopefully you can find a LegacyHDA.kext for your board here