[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I finally got the Installer up and running. Turns out the KPs were fixed by the BIOS update F7 released a week ago. As a bonus, the SATA AHCI BIOS was updated to 1.20e as well :angel:.

It's currently running at home finishing the install while I'm in uni. I still have to patch my DSDT for the CMOS fix and USB High Speed? Regardless, thanks for your time and effort that you put in to help everyone here.

This is great - well done :D

Lucky you - I have been waiting for Gigabyte to update the BIOS for GA-EP45-DS3L to use AHCI v1.20E for months now..!

How much faster does your computer boot now?

But I recommend you patch your DSDT with the CMOS reset fix soon.

Hey guys,

Is anyone else having issues getting smbios to be detected.

Im using my old smbios that I used for leopard with chameleon which worked fine on there, but its not being detected on snow leopard under chameleon, all my data in about this mac is unknown, even the serial.

Here's my smbios btw:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>D9E084FE-D03E-374B-BA97-C7FFF6FCC3D9</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>INSERTYOURSHERE</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>macpro</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Gigabyte.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>GA-EP35-DS3</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>3000</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>
<key>SMmempart_3</key>
<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>0x00001020</string>
<key>SMmemserial_3</key>
<string>0x00003021</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any ideas?

Here you go Capt_Boom. I have all 4 slots filled with a total of 6GB.

Thanks for posting your com.apple.Boot.plist doradekell.

It might encourage others to try and get theirs to match their system hardware. :angel:

@titan4 & @HMiller - Good points regarding resetting BIOS to defaults and just setting HPET and AHCI from scratch. I will add this to the front page as something to else to try for problematic installs :D

@gugin - Well done with your install - Yes, I thought that lifehacker article was a good read.. You will get your audio working, but you'll just have to find out how to do it with your mobo. Have your tried editing your SMBIOS.plist to reflect you are using 1066Mhz memory?

Is anyone else having issues getting smbios to be detected.

Im using my old smbios that I used for leopard with chameleon which worked fine on there, but its not being detected on snow leopard under chameleon, all my data in about this mac is unknown, even the serial.

So your SMBIOS.plist isn't being recognised? You have got in /Extra ? (I have to ask)

All owned by root:wheel, same as I had it before when in leopard.

Im running:

kextcache -v -l -t -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

Well I guess you've done everything else with read/write/execute permissions set correctly? and you've mounted the EFI partition correctly? and you're issuing the command with superuser privileges? Your command looks correct...

When I have installed Chameleon to the EFI partition, like you with Leopard, it's worked fine with no problems. And I can't see what difference it makes using a different operating system? All I can suggest it reformatting your EFI partition and rebuild it... Shouldn't take long.

Can anyone help here?

I've used blackosx excellent guide and done a successful install of SL from within my Leopard install.

However, I seem to have some permission issues, so I thought I would reinstall using the new BootCD 1.01 method.

This is where my problem lies - I just cannot get the CD to boot!

I download the ISO file, right click and select 'Burn to disc'. Everything completes OK, but it will not boot.

I have had this problem in the past with this type of BootCD.

Am I missing something obvious?

Can anyone help here?

I've used blackosx excellent guide and done a successful install of SL from within my Leopard install.

However, I seem to have some permission issues, so I thought I would reinstall using the new BootCD 1.01 method.

This is where my problem lies - I just cannot get the CD to boot!

I download the ISO file, right click and select 'Burn to disc'. Everything completes OK, but it will not boot.

I have had this problem in the past with this type of BootCD.

Am I missing something obvious?

Check if you didn't burned iso as file on the CD. If yes you need to use Disk Utility to burn the image.

Well, I don't think it's done as a file as when I open it I can see cdboot, Extra and 'Steps to follow.....'.

Hmm Vis had similar issue on page 33. You can check it, however his solution was reseting bios to default setting...but I don't know if it will help you as well. You can also try to boot it with when you press F12 on boot and select your dvd drive from the list.

Hmm Vis had similar issue on page 33. You can check it, however his solution was reseting bios to default setting...but I don't know if it will help you as well. You can also try to boot it with when you press F12 on boot and select your dvd drive from the list.

It starts to boot OK as I get the following messages:

cdboot: init

cdboot: file size 0004B8AO

cdboot: reading sectors 00000098

cdboot: loading.........

then it just reboots my system, repeats the above, etc.

Looking at Vis' posts, I have a similar mobo (P35C-DS3R) to him and I have the exact same problem as him.

Strange, as everything else has worked as per the EP45-DS3L guide.

Looking at Vis' posts, I have a similar mobo (P35C-DS3R) to him and I have the exact same problem as him.

Strange, as everything else has worked as per the EP45-DS3L guide.

Hi imacken - Thanks for trying the new BootCD.. Sorry to hear it's not working for you.. But after all, it is a GA-EP45-DS3L boot CD... and I have only tested in on that... All I can ask is maybe somebody else will be kind enough to test it on their system and report back if it works or not?

I have updated the BootCD to v1.01, and the USB image to v1.2. Links to each are on the front page of this thread.

Hi blackosx,

I thought that your previous bootCD v1.0 was already done using Chameleon v2RC3 r658 although you mention in the first page: BootCD updated to v1.01 to include Chameleon v2 RC3 r658. What is the change then? Did I miss something here?

By the way this bootCD rev1.0 save my life! I tryed many things on my EP35-DS3R but couldn't get to boot up to the installer using the USB stick method. I always had KP mentioning OpenHaltRestart.kext. Now SL is installed and I can successfully reboot it using the bootCD. I haven't had time to go further as I have to treat tactfully my wife as well :) but now I am on the way to do it.

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide and for your support .

excellent guide blackosx!

i've tried reading up many guides and yours is very comprehensive and to the basics.

anyway, i have a noobie questions:

in your guide under installing with usb stick it says

"then drag the Netkas boot v10.1 - Add to root of Cham Volume' folder to the Terminal"

so where exactly am i putting the boot file to anyway? i'm confused.

I thought that your previous bootCD v1.0 was already done using Chameleon v2RC3 r658 although you mention in the first page: BootCD updated to v1.01 to include Chameleon v2 RC3 r658. What is the change then? Did I miss something here?

Hi woodbox - Thanks for letting me know this guide has helped you - well done :)

The update to the BootCD includes the latest support files and a revised theme to match my previous BootCD's.

in your guide under installing with usb stick it says

"then drag the Netkas boot v10.1 - Add to root of Cham Volume' folder to the Terminal"

so where exactly am i putting the boot file to anyway? i'm confused.

@remeron - I recommend you update the lastest version of the guide (v2.3) as Netkas' boot file is no longer needed.

As for the root of a drive, it's the highest level of the file hierarchy. So /

Or to make it simpler, if you double click on the 'Cham' volume in the Finder, the window that appears is the root of that volume. So anything you put in that window will be at the root of the Cham Volume.

Hi imacken - Thanks for trying the new BootCD.. Sorry to hear it's not working for you.. But after all, it is a GA-EP45-DS3L boot CD... and I have only tested in on that... All I can ask is maybe somebody else will be kind enough to test it on their system and report back if it works or not?

Thanks for that. I appreciate that it is a different board, but all your other methods, files, etc. work perfectly on the P35C-DS3R.

I hope someone gets it working as the USB install method doesn't work for me either - just keeps crashing half way through SL install. So, I'm stuck with the install from Leo method for now.

Thanks for that. I appreciate that it is a different board, but all your other methods, files, etc. work perfectly on the P35C-DS3R.

I hope someone gets it working as the USB install method doesn't work for me either - just keeps crashing half way through SL install. So, I'm stuck with the install from Leo method for now.

I have just burned the ISO to CD and booted it with an HP workstation. So I know it works up to that point. I obviously didn't go as far as installing Snow Leopard, but at least I can verify the ISO gets to the Chameleon device selection screen.

Hi Blackosx, Just wanted to let you know that I reformatted my hard drive, copied my SL image (CopyCatX) file only disk0s2 and left disk0s3 as a data partition. I was going to change the EFI partition (disk0s1) as I have before, but decided to try to add a separate partition for RC3 and leave the default EFI partition alone. So I created a disk0s4 partition (smallest it would allow on a 1TB drive was approx. 3GB) and used the RC3 installer. Replaced the my EXTRAS folder and all works great.

Thanks for the advice. I'd not heard anything about the original EFI partition being used for updates as I think you intimated, but now I don't have to worry about that just in case it's true.

As an aside, do you (or anyone else here) know how to re-establish the original EFI partition if you've done the [diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI"] thing. In the past, I've just reformatted the whole hard drive and started from scratch. Would like to know an easier way if it's out there.