[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

hey everyone,

i just spent the last couple of hours manually editing VoodooHDA for the Sigmatel 9200 on the D620. Everything works. Speaker, Internal Microphone, Headphone jack, and Microphone jack, (I'm not sure about SPID/F on the dock though). I've only tested this on Snow Leopard. I'm not sure about Leopard or Tiger. I followed the guide over here. Its a non official version of VoodooHDA just incase you were wondering.

I haven't done much testing, but just let me know how it goes. I think the VoodooHDA is version 0.2.52. The latest from the link I posted above is 0.2.61 i believe.

Anywho, cheers.

Sigmatel9200VoodooHDA252.kext.zip

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you should probably use this with the VoodooHDA prefpane. Just google it. I'm using a 64-bit version and it works perfectly

hey everyone,

i just spent the last couple of hours manually editing VoodooHDA for the Sigmatel 9200 on the D620. Everything works. Speaker, Internal Microphone, Headphone jack, and Microphone jack, (I'm not sure about SPID/F on the dock though). I've only tested this on Snow Leopard. I'm not sure about Leopard or Tiger. I followed the guide over here. Its a non official version of VoodooHDA just incase you were wondering.

I haven't done much testing, but just let me know how it goes. I think the VoodooHDA is version 0.2.52. The latest from the link I posted above is 0.2.61 i believe.

Anywho, cheers.

Sigmatel9200VoodooHDA252.kext.zip

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you should probably use this with the VoodooHDA prefpane. Just google it. I'm using a 64-bit version and it works perfectly

Freaking awesome!!!! .. works like a charm on the Dell D420/430 .. thanx man... excellent work!!!

Now, if you are up for a challenge.. get the SD Card reader to work and i'll pay you 50$ :rolleyes:

Thanks leppy700m you`re the man.I`m now using snow leopard on my dell d620 installed based on your tutorial.I want to know if there`s any way to install darwin bootloader instead of chameleon? I say that because on my machine everything works(i have the nvidia video card)oob.

hey everyone,

Works perfectly. Thank you very much. great job.

Dell D620, SL6.4, intel graphics.

I have D620 with nVidia graphics and SL is running great on it (10.6.3). The only problem I'm having is that Sleep (display or system) doesn't work at all. is there a way to get the display to sleep or the system to sleep?

Thanks!

I have D620 with nVidia graphics and SL is running great on it (10.6.3). The only problem I'm having is that Sleep (display or system) doesn't work at all. is there a way to get the display to sleep or the system to sleep?

Thanks!

No.

Thanks!

dustpuppy is wrong. I have the nvidia D620 and sleep DOES work. I use the DSDT from the pack on the first post. Display sleep works but is a little more tricky. I forgot where I found it (probably earlier in this thread) but in order for display sleep to work, you need to have the screen change resolutions before you can see anything. A weird fix i know.

Someone put together a nice little script with some free software that does this for you. Granted it does make the screen flicker a little when you "wake" it from display sleep. Just follow the instructions included with the zip files. I take no credit for this btw.

mosx_displaypackage.zip

dustpuppy is wrong. I have the nvidia D620 and sleep DOES work.

I stand corrected. Sorry, I've got the intel graphics version, and as far as I know, there currently is no solution for sleep with intel graphics.

I must learn to read before posting.

I stand corrected. Sorry, I've got the intel graphics version, and as far as I know, there currently is no solution for sleep with intel graphics.

Its all good! and you are correct that there is no proper sleep solution for the intel graphics. I had the intel graphics mobo and then bought the nvidia one off ebay for $99 shipped. I suggest doing the same! the only thing it breaks is display sleep but there is a workaround for it.

also, on another note, has anyone else had problems with the VoodooBattery kext? it says that it is always on power adapter even when it's on battery. And i do believe this really drains the battery. Does anyone have any workarounds or solutions?

Here's a picture to prove my point:

post-46630-1280539595_thumb.png

Hi leppy, i hope you see this one..

First of all, thank you for the awesome work you have done, my D430 is running 10.6.4 like a charm, only one wish left.

Could _please_ have a look at the SD Card reader.. i have a 32gb SD card that works under win7, and since i only have a 64gb SSD, the extra space would be very nice to have.

I dont mind paying for your time.. i love my D430, and would love to the SD card reader to work also.

And another, i read somewhere something about that you are working on a DSTS fixes instead of the kext's.. hows that progressing ?.. and will it work with the D430 ?

//Leon

Just an update....

I'v loaded up the VoodooSHDCi kext from here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,543.0.html

It works.. but not without problems...

1. i am now able to see my 16gb SDHC card, however, i get a strange error when trying to format it...

Diskutil says "Disk erase failed" - "Disk erase failed with the error:" - POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory"

I know the card works, so its not a problem with the card...

When i check kernel.log i get this...

Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: disk1: general error.
Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: VoodooSDHCI: I/O error during SDMA transfer: Status: 0x8000, Error: 0x20, Block: 32243712, Offset: 0, Blocks: 4
Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: IOBlockStorageDriver[IOBlockStorageDriver]; executeRequest: request failed to start!
Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: disk1: general error.
Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: VoodooSDHCI: I/O error after command 18 (SDMA): Status: 0x8000, Error: 0x20
Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: VoodooSDHCI: initializing spec 2.0 SD card
Aug  4 23:09:25 x kernel[0]: VoodooSDHCI: we have HC card
Aug  4 23:09:27 x kernel[0]: VoodooSDHCI: I/O error during SDMA transfer: Status: 0x8002, Error: 0x20, Block: 32244736, Offset: 0, Blocks: 1
Aug  4 23:09:27 x kernel[0]: VoodooSDHCI: retry succeeded
Aug  4 23:09:27 x kernel[0]: IOBlockStorageDriver[IOBlockStorageDriver]; executeRequest: request failed to start!

2. If i test another card, the computer just freezes completely, still able to navigate around with the keyboard tho.. maybe some I/O error ?

Any idears anyone ?

Have you guys seen that the MacBook Black, Specifically the MB 2,1 has an Intel GMA950 card in it?

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

I just found this on a Mac i used to check my mail once. Seems like there could be a way of calling out the kexts for it from Apples own subsystem? No, close?

Hope this is of some help.

M.

Hi:

Question - I just updated my D620 (2.1 GHz Core2 Duo, NVidia, Dell Wireless) from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. After the update, I lost my internal wireless card. I tried reinstalling the post install command and rebuilding the extensions.mkext file with no success. If anyone has encountered this and has a fix, please let me know. Thanks!

Mark

D620 - 2.1 GHz Core2 Duo, NVidia, Dell Wireless

Hi:

Question - I just updated my D620 (2.1 GHz Core2 Duo, NVidia, Dell Wireless) from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. After the update, I lost my internal wireless card. I tried reinstalling the post install command and rebuilding the extensions.mkext file with no success. If anyone has encountered this and has a fix, please let me know. Thanks!

Mark

D620 - 2.1 GHz Core2 Duo, NVidia, Dell Wireless

I needed to add my hardware id to the .plist file.

Hi Guys,

I tried to install SL 10.6 on my Dell D430, but something goes wrong. I boot from the D620SLV1.iso and then swtich Cd for a SL 10.6 Retail DVD. I can choose the boot option, but as soon as the grey screen with Apple logo appears I get a kernel panic... Any ideas what's going on? :) Is there a solution? :)

Help! :)

Hi Guys,

I tried to install SL 10.6 on my Dell D430, but something goes wrong. I boot from the D620SLV1.iso and then swtich Cd for a SL 10.6 Retail DVD. I can choose the boot option, but as soon as the grey screen with Apple logo appears I get a kernel panic... Any ideas what's going on? :wacko: Is there a solution? :(

Help! :)

Hey,

I got a D430 to, working like a real dream...

Try this...

1. update your bios to newest (you will need windows)

2. reset your bios to default

The way i installed OSX is that i have a 16gb USB pen where i have OSX on, and then a bootable CD with the boot image.. so i boot on the CD, then on the first screen select the "macos install dvd" ..

from that point its prety straith forward..

a few advices....

1 .Install OSX 10.6, 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 .. DONT install 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 directly (you will get in problems with drivers)

2. Remember to re-partition your HD as guid (do that under osx installation)

3. once you have osx up and running, upgrade ONLY to 10.6.2

After that, hit on over to:

http://www.maleo.se/users/lsb/?tag=osx+on+dell+latitude

I'v sumorized some of the guides from here on my blog to make it easy to eg. install 10.6.4

//Leon

Hey,

I got a D430 to, working like a real dream...

Try this...

1. update your bios to newest (you will need windows)

2. reset your bios to default

Thanks for your help! Can you please tell me what version of bios do you have? I have A08 and would like to know before updating that it might actually help..

y.

Hi,

I have followed this guide, got retail snow leopard installed and updated to 10.6.4.

Installed the experimental zip Extra folder from the OP and fixed the wifi by removing IONetworking kext after updating to 10.6.4. Audio fixed by using VoodooHDA.kext

So far, everything works EXCEPT the ethernet.

After updating to 10.6.4, ethernet is the only thing that I can't get working. Did anyone encounter this problem and if so, how did you fix it? I already tried putting the ethernet kext from the original CD into Extra folder, but that didn't seem to work.

If someone has ethernet working with 10.6.4 and wifi working at the same time, can you please post the IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E and a list of what kext you have in Extra folder?

Thanks

Hello,

the Ethernet driver depends on IONetworking.

So you may move it to /System/Library/Extensions or copy the 10.6.4 IONetworking.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to /Extra/Extensions and rebuild mkext with leppys script.

Hi,

I have followed this guide, got retail snow leopard installed and updated to 10.6.4.

Installed the experimental zip Extra folder from the OP and fixed the wifi by removing IONetworking kext after updating to 10.6.4. Audio fixed by using VoodooHDA.kext

So far, everything works EXCEPT the ethernet.

After updating to 10.6.4, ethernet is the only thing that I can't get working. Did anyone encounter this problem and if so, how did you fix it? I already tried putting the ethernet kext from the original CD into Extra folder, but that didn't seem to work.

If someone has ethernet working with 10.6.4 and wifi working at the same time, can you please post the IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E and a list of what kext you have in Extra folder?

Thanks