[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm probably an idiot, but here's my issue. I would love to run after effects but it's telling me it has to be run under a 64bit os. I have 64 bit extensions, but it's not showing a 64bit kernel. Is it even possible to have a 64bit os using a D620? How can I make it happen?

Use an older version of After Effects. Running 64bit needs a processor willing enough to run the 64 bit tasks clearly.

M.

Just an update: Based on my post #1101 on this thread, I just upgraded my already 10.6.4 (using the steps described in #1101) to the latest software updates (like safari, itunes, some graphics blah, blah, java vm, security updates, etc, etc) and my gma950 Dell is still ok, with qe/ci, sound, wifi...the funny thing is that my Dell-Mac is now recognized as a MacPro4,1!!! It used to be MacPro2,1 before applying all the software updates! go figure...

Now I wonder what will happen when 10.6.5 comes along? Hmm....

I've gotten to 10.6.4 on D620 with Intel graphics by a different route. All seems to be working except accelerated video.

What kexts do I need for it and where do I find them?

You get them from the 10.6 installation. You wanna save 2 of them (IONDRVSupport.kext for video, and IO80211Family.kext for WiFi)

So use the leppy method to install 10.6 retail, save those to files from HDD/system/library/extensions

Download a program called kext helper.

Upgrade to 10.6.4 (Comboupdate)

Run kext helper and drag and drop those to kexts, plug in your root password and install

I've done it thrice with no probs.

Cheers

You get them from the 10.6 installation. You wanna save 2 of them (IONDRVSupport.kext for video, and IO80211Family.kext for WiFi)

I would really like to avoid another fresh install, since I have a working system. I just need the two kexts.

Can I pull them off either the 10.6 retail disk or one of the downloads?

I would really like to avoid another fresh install, since I have a working system. I just need the two kexts.

Can I pull them off either the 10.6 retail disk or one of the downloads?

Fresh install is the only way... As soon as you update to 10.6.3+ then it won't work... injecting the kext doesn't work because the update will create a directory of the kexts installed in the s/l/e folder and when you add things to it (other than Ethernet) it won't work.

Explanation of this: you are less likely to update your graphics in a mac than to get a usb Ethernet hub. I'm pretty sure this is right but since I didn't create it can't confirm it.

Suchwise I can safely upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.3, but not higher?

Just yesterday downloaded the 10.6.4 combo ... - Will have to defer it? ;)

Finally some one gave me an answer!!! Ya!!!

To keep QE place the kexts in s/l/e folder and your set to roll

Use an older version of After Effects. Running 64bit needs a processor willing enough to run the 64 bit tasks clearly.

M.

I `m able to run snow leo 10.6.4 in 64 bits mode on my d620 with nvidia graphics.the only problems i had were that my trackpad and also my sound an d wifi were not working in 64 bits.After some research i managed to get wi fi working by reinstalling the IO802.1 family kext from 10.6.2 As for the sound i installed voodoohda but i haven`t checked if it works in 64 bits.

Can someone help me make the trackpad working in 64 bits mode?

Thanks Everyone!

Here is h

Install Guide Dell D620 Vanilla

What you need

D620 with Intel Graphics

A Dell 1490 Wi-Fi card (if you want wi-fi)

Retail Copy of Snow Leopard any current version.

D620SLV1.iso

Steps to install

Turn on PC and push [F2] to get into the bios menu load defaults in the bios.

Eject the disc drive and insert D620SLV1.iso.

Save settings in Bios and restart...

On booting push [F12] to go into the one time boot menu select DVD/CD drive and push [Enter] (Picture)

Eject D620SLV1.iso and insert your snow leopard Disc

Push [F5] it will reload and you will have a Mac OS X DVD appear

Select it ant push [Enter]

Gray apple logo will appear and will take anywhere from 2-5 min. to load

Select you language and push continue (trackpad+ keyboard and USB work and battery meter will be accurate)

On the top menu select Utilities>Disk Utility

Partition you hard drive by selecting it and Make sure it is a GUID Table and Mac OS X Extended Journaled (min of 10 GB of space)

Name it "Macintosh HD" (For some reason naming it this will elude the famous OS X install Failed every time)

Exit out of Disk utility by pushing the red orb

Continue through the install process until it ask where to install. (Picture)

Select customize and unselect everything possible. Select your drive and install...

Post Install

Don't register, get username+password

Eject Snow Leopard Retail Disk

Inert D620SLV1.iso

Open it up and Click on postinstall.cmd

Enter password and push [1] for lizard goodies and [1]

Download the attached ionDRVR.kext and place it in system>library>extensions

Do the same with the ethernet.kext + Networking.kexts

Eject disc and reboot, if it all turns out party....ow to get a fully working D620 using a 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 snow leopard upgrade or full version disc!

From my website page: https://sites.google.com/site/easyosxsnowle...ome/iguide/d620

Edit: it looks like it may have just been the cd I was using. I have a newer version of SL that appears to be working but it is 10.6.3.

Everything looks ok, but I am pretty sure the graphics aren't 100%. The resolution appears ok, but front row isn't working. Is there a way to correct this with different kext files? I appreciate the help in advance. Thank you.

I must just have issues. I have tried the boot cd with a snow leopard cd, which just seems to go nowhere. I think my drive is having a hard time reading the disc. When I refresh (with F5 or F10) it sits there for a while and then it doesn't do anything... Much of the time the wording is just fuzzy below the image of the cd/hard drive. So I decided I would try a USB drive (with SL on it) to see if that responded differently but it doesn't. I am not sure that it is recognizing the USB drive when I boot to the CD. Then I decided to do the leppy boot cd on a USB drive and the SL on a different USB drive. Still no luck. I'm not sure if it is just my SL or what. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I have a D620 w/Intel Video. If there is another step I can take to get around this that would be great. Thanks.

Would just like to verify that mac_os_x_10.6.5_10h562 delta update (10.6.5 beta) is safe to install on dell d620 with intel gma950 running 10.6.4 .

Install is fine but 3d acceleration is lost just like the 10.6.4 update

The solution is the same as the 10.6.4 update to fix 3d acceleration IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.6.3 needs to be installed with kext helper

My extra folder is attached to use, I don't use the ethernet driver so no ethernet using my extra package, but this setup runs fast and smooth.

Extra.zip

Thanks for the update...it's good to know that chances R good for 10.6.5 to work ok on the Mac-Dells...but I was wondering, since the d420/d620/d820/d830, inspiron e1405e, etc, etc...are already a few years old (and work great as hackintoshes), are there now any newer laptops aside from these models that would make good hackintoshes as well? maybe with i5 or i7 cpus? hmmm....

thanks!

Would just like to verify that mac_os_x_10.6.5_10h562 delta update (10.6.5 beta) is safe to install on dell d620 with intel gma950 running 10.6.4 .

The solution is the same as the 10.6.4 update to fix 3d acceleration IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.6.3 needs to be installed with kext helper

My extra folder is attached to use, I don't use the ethernet driver so no ethernet using my extra package, but this setup runs fast and smooth.

Extra.zip

Extra.zip

thanx for posting this. Can I use the IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.6? I don't have 10.6.3 installed anywhere. . .

Although I am reluctant to upgrade my D620 10.6 to 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 cos I don't want to loose my video acceleration when I'm watching things like netflix, right now they run as smooth as they would in windows.

Stop using the kext based setup and use the DSTD based setup instead, that way you have notthing to fear about graphics problems...

It was posted by leppy as one of the very firsts posts..

The d4xOSX group (http://www.r2x2.com/groups/d4xosx) also did a update to that package...

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/59896...unning_OSX.html

Using DSTD is alot better than a pure kext setup because its closer to vanilla, aka..

We are right now working on a new package that removes 4 kexts more and add's a new boot loader...

Stop using the kext based setup and use the DSTD based setup instead, that way you have notthing to fear about graphics problems...

It was posted by leppy as one of the very firsts posts..

The d4xOSX group (http://www.r2x2.com/groups/d4xosx) also did a update to that package...

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/59896...unning_OSX.html

Using DSTD is alot better than a pure kext setup because its closer to vanilla, aka..

We are right now working on a new package that removes 4 kexts more and add's a new boot loader...

I wonder whatever happened to peppy, I've always used his post for my install guide.

Thanx for posting this, I assume it works with the 10.6.4 update?

Thanks for the update...it's good to know that chances R good for 10.6.5 to work ok on the Mac-Dells...but I was wondering, since the d420/d620/d820/d830, inspiron e1405e, etc, etc...are already a few years old (and work great as hackintoshes), are there now any newer laptops aside from these models that would make good hackintoshes as well? maybe with i5 or i7 cpus? hmmm....

thanks!

For sure! Check tonymacx86.com

Dual Boot clock time issue:

I am having a clock issue when dual booting. Anyone else have a similar issue or know the solution? My clock is ok when I am in the mac side, however when I boot back into windows 7 the clock time is incorrect. If I just stay on the windows side it is fine, but it is when I go to mac and then shut down and go back to windows 7. If anyone knows why this may be happening please let me know. Thank you.

Dual Boot clock time issue:

I am having a clock issue when dual booting. Anyone else have a similar issue or know the solution? My clock is ok when I am in the mac side, however when I boot back into windows 7 the clock time is incorrect. If I just stay on the windows side it is fine, but it is when I go to mac and then shut down and go back to windows 7. If anyone knows why this may be happening please let me know. Thank you.

This worked for me:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31198

What is the Dell part number of the internal D620 wifi card that is known to work with 10.6.4? I know its a broadcom card, but want to be sure I get the right one. There seem to be a lot on ebay.

Has anyone tried running Virtualbox on 10.6.4 / D620? I'm talking about OSX as the host OS.

When I tried it, Virtualbox seemed to install ok, but when I tried to add a Win7 VM it aborts.