[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

The easiest way to get back qe/ci for the Dell Inspiron e1405 with gma950 once upgraded to 10.6.3 / 10.6.4 via leppy's approach is described on:

http://matthieu.yiptong.ca/2010/01/18/snow...me1405-updated/

It basically assumes that the user is at the SL 10.6.2 level...much easier procedure than the many convoluted ways to get qe/ci back to gma950 I've read in many different forums involving EFI strings, patching DSDT, patching the kexts, etc, etc...

I'm not a power user, nor a QA, so I haven't tested if qe/ci is working good for day to day activities...All I wanted for my hackintosh is to be able to have qe/ci, sound, wifi, & correct screen resolution...I know that for many people, sleep is a deal breaker, but not for me...

Below is the procedure in a nutshell (it worked for my Inspiron e1405, so YMMV):

• leppy 10.6.0 ---> combo to 10.6.2
  • copy /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext (it's v2.0)
  • combo to 10.6.4…the IONDRVSupport.kext is v2.1
  • kexthelper the 10.6.2's IONDRVSupport.kext….it replaces the 10.6.4's /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext v2.1 with the 2.0
  • reboot

To get WIFI back in 10.6.4, just follow the excellent solution posted b4 this post, which summarizes in:

c00ds3062:~ leroi$ sudo -s

bash-3.2# cd /Extra/

bash-3.2# rm -Rf Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

bash-3.2# cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext Extensions/

bash-3.2# ./rebuild_mkext.command

then choose option #1 for 32-bit...then reboot...

I guess U could do both the qe/ci & wifi without having to reboot the system twice...

First off, HUGE thanks to the original poster. It helped me go from a working 10.5.7 install to a 10.6.x install.

Specs:

2 x D820 (Identical)

Intel GMA950

Dell 1390 Wireless

BCM5751 Wired Ethernet

During my trials and tribulations I have been able to come up with a pretty solid install path for both of the D820's I have. Having a spare w/o worry for breaking the working machine has been a godsend.

After following the install process listed to install 10.6.0 I had a working machine which was much better than my 10.5.7 (patched kernel) on a good day.

The Chameleon version in the post installer seemed to KP the machine every other reboot at the Apple logo. Upgrading to RC4 resolved that issue completely and never saw it again.

I then updated to 10.6.2 w/o issue (10.6.3 wasn't out yet). I had the typical screen artifacts I had with 10.5.7 and everything I needed worked. I don't use sleep or close the lid so I have no point of reference for that. When 10.6.3 came out I updated successfully but noticed QE/CI wasn't working. I went back and stayed on 10.6.2 until yesterday. The D820 seems to have been bit badly by the "keyboard becomes unresponsive" bug in 10.6 series that was said to be fixed in 10.6.4. I noticed it most when using Spaces and Ctrl-Arrow would lock the Ctrl key down. Only resolution was to use mouse to close everything and reboot.

After upgrading to 10.6.4 successfully I noticed QE/CI was again broken and so was my wireless. My resolution for those was to remove the following kexts from /E/E

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

And to copy AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer version 1.4.18.6 to /S/L/E which is widely available via this forum as I'm not sure which version OSX it came from.

After copying I used OSX86Tools to Repair Permissions, Set Extension Permissions, and Clear Extensions Cache. Once completed I ran rebuild_mkext.command in /E

I have yet to see any screen artifacts with this method but I've only been using it for a few hours. I also use a port replicator with a 24" monitor connect and the resolution set to 1920x1200. Occasionally the screen is shrunken into a 4x3 mode after the Apple logo disappears and the desktop appears. The fix is to choose 1280x800 on that monitor and then revert. It's a minor inconvenience at this point but still annoying.

Resolution for Dell 1390 Wireless Card

Install IO80211Family.kext from 10.6 (presumably 10.6.2 but I didn't have one avail at the time. They could be the same file) to /S/L/E I did this prior to running OSX86Tools. After reading this thread I noticed some people were copying IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E to /E/E and rebuilding. Not sure the differences or which was is "better".

The process I went through to get me to this point was a lot of trial and error that required many re-installs, bad video, non working networking and track pad and the like. Even after feeling confident everything would work out on my primary I still had some glitches to work through. So please keep in mind that change introduces risk and always backup before doing anything.

Good luck!

The easiest way to get back qe/ci for the Dell Inspiron e1405 with gma950 once upgraded to 10.6.3 / 10.6.4 via leppy's approach is described on:

It basically assumes that the user is at the SL 10.6.2 level...much easier procedure than the many convoluted ways to get qe/ci back to gma950 I've read in many different forums involving EFI strings, patching DSDT, patching the kexts, etc, etc...

I'm not a power user, nor a QA, so I haven't tested if qe/ci is working good for day to day activities...All I wanted for my hackintosh is to be able to have qe/ci, sound, wifi, & correct screen resolution...I know that for many people, sleep is a deal breaker, but not for me...

Below is the procedure in a nutshell (it worked for my Inspiron e1405, so YMMV):

• kexthelper the 10.6.2's IONDRVSupport.kext….it replaces the 10.6.4's /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext v2.1 with the 2.0
  • reboot

To get WIFI back in 10.6.4, just follow the excellent solution posted b4 this post, which summarizes in:

bash-3.2# cd /Extra/

I guess U could do both the qe/ci & wifi without having to reboot the system twice...

Thanks for the tip on the GMA950 fix. I'm in the middle of a clean install on an e1405 so your timing was perfect.

Can you detail what you have in your E/E folder and what if anything you've modified in S/L/E? Are you using Matthieu's extras exactly as he has them?

I have been able to get up to 10.6.4 with QE/CI broken, but the fix you mentioned didn't seem to work. I suspect when I first installed a few weeks ago I may have made some other modifications trying to get QE/CI to work so I suspect my handiwork rather than the fix not working :P

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks for the tip on the GMA950 fix. I'm in the middle of a clean install on an e1405 so your timing was perfect.

Can you detail what you have in your E/E folder and what if anything you've modified in S/L/E? Are you using Matthieu's extras exactly as he has them?

I have been able to get up to 10.6.4 with QE/CI broken, but the fix you mentioned didn't seem to work. I suspect when I first installed a few weeks ago I may have made some other modifications trying to get QE/CI to work so I suspect my handiwork rather than the fix not working ^_^

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi! I used leppy's install D620SLV1.iso (which is available on the 1st post of this thread)...installed SL 10.6.0, then applied combo update 10.6.2 then rebooted. Made a copy of the 10.6.2's /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext (which is version 2.0), afterwards applied combo update 10.6.4 then rebooted, and after that used kexthelper to replace the 10.6.4's /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext (which is version 2.1) with the previously saved /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.6.2, and then rebooted again! No, I didn't use any of Matthieu's extra...you already have everything in your system to do the upgrade.

I went straight from 10.6.2 --> 10.6.4...in my initial testings, I upgraded to 10.6.3, but since qe/ci didn't work, reverted back to 10.6.2; I have a backup copy of it...and it's a good idea to have a backup copy (I used SuperDuper!), especially with hackintoshes, because we never know what breaks with the next Apple update.

With leppy's procedure, applying combo 10.6.1, and 10.6.2 goes A-OK, with qe/ci, sound, wifi, and laptop built-in lcd resolution working...it's with combo 10.6.3 that breaks AFAIK qe/ci, and combo 10.6.4 that breaks qe/ci & wifi...

This procedure doesn't involve modifying /E/E or running /E/rebuild_mkext.command...so they R untouched, that's why it's so simple, compared to the many other methods posted everywhere which involves patching kexts, DSDT, EFI strings, multiple deletes or copies of kexts, etc, etc...

In my experience, the Dell Inspiron e1405, and probably also the Dells in leppy's original list, are very hackintosh-able, and they are very inexpensive as "used" or "refurbished" laptops on ebay...! My Inspiron e1405 came originally with a 1.6ghz Core Duo cpu, but for performance I swapped it with a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo...and maxed out its memory to 3gb...(2gb dimm + 1 gb dimm)...Not sure if it applies to leppy's list of Dells, but the Inspiron e1405 CAN'T recognize the full 4gb of ram...even if it had 2x2gb dimms, and I'm already at the latest A10 bios...the most it recognized was 3.25gb out of 4gb...so 0.75gb is wasted...

Good luck with your upgrade! :D

Hi! I used leppy's install D620SLV1.iso (which is available on the 1st post of this thread)...installed SL 10.6.0, then applied combo update 10.6.2 then rebooted. Made a copy of the 10.6.2's /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext (which is version 2.0), afterwards applied combo update 10.6.4 then rebooted, and after that used kexthelper to replace the 10.6.4's /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext (which is version 2.1) with the previously saved /S/L/E/IONDRVSupport.kext from 10.6.2, and then rebooted again! No, I didn't use any of Matthieu's extra...you already have everything in your system to do the upgrade.

I went straight from 10.6.2 --> 10.6.4...in my initial testings, I upgraded to 10.6.3, but since qe/ci didn't work, reverted back to 10.6.2; I have a backup copy of it...and it's a good idea to have a backup copy (I used SuperDuper!), especially with hackintoshes, because we never know what breaks with the next Apple update.

With leppy's procedure, applying combo 10.6.1, and 10.6.2 goes A-OK, with qe/ci, sound, wifi, and laptop built-in lcd resolution working...it's with combo 10.6.3 that breaks AFAIK qe/ci, and combo 10.6.4 that breaks qe/ci & wifi...

This procedure doesn't involve modifying /E/E or running /E/rebuild_mkext.command...so they R untouched, that's why it's so simple, compared to the many other methods posted everywhere which involves patching kexts, DSDT, EFI strings, multiple deletes or copies of kexts, etc, etc...

In my experience, the Dell Inspiron e1405, and probably also the Dells in leppy's original list, are very hackintosh-able, and they are very inexpensive as "used" or "refurbished" laptops on ebay...! My Inspiron e1405 came originally with a 1.6ghz Core Duo cpu, but for performance I swapped it with a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo...and maxed out its memory to 3gb...(2gb dimm + 1 gb dimm)...Not sure if it applies to leppy's list of Dells, but the Inspiron e1405 CAN'T recognize the full 4gb of ram...even if it had 2x2gb dimms, and I'm already at the latest A10 bios...the most it recognized was 3.25gb out of 4gb...so 0.75gb is wasted...

Good luck with your upgrade! :D

Thanks yamete888... I'm hacking my wife's old laptop after I got her a new one for Xmas. I've got it at 1.5GB ram right now, the original 1.6 processor (what model core 2 duo did you upgrade to?), and I replaced the hard drive with a 250GB momentous, and the wireless with a $9 1395 from ebay :) Quite a decent little machine for basic video and music and I may beef it up some more if I get the upgrade bug in the next few weeks :wacko:

Before I got your reply I thought I'd take a swing at a clean install using Matthieu's basic S/L/E and Extras modifying the IONDRVSupport.kext as you indicated at the end before the final upgrade restart. Guess what... it worked ;)

Quick summary of the combined and working steps follows for anyone trying to get 10.6.4 working on the e1405 and struggling with perfection tantalizingly close ;) I should have caught on the IONDRVSupport.kext issue mentioned here and on Matthieu's site before, but it looks like that was what was needed to get everything running near perfectly. Now I'm up to 10.6.4 with QE/CI behaving itself, and after starting the machine with my 24" monitor attached and gathering the windows to correct the secondary resolution it seems to be working well there too.

Steps to set up 10.6.0:

Use Mathieu's guide to start out... boot from the 6400 boot cd and install retail 10.6.0 from there, or alternatively use another working Hack/Mac and an sata or usb connection to format and install the base OSX.

Here's where the fun starts... what has worked well for me in my trial install is get the 10.6.2 combo update and install it before you install any kexts to S/L/E using Kext Helper (supplied by Matthieu in his extensions), and before installing Chameleon and the Extras (also supplied). After that installer runs DO NOT RESTART... run the chameleon installer Matthieu provided and the install his S/L/E extensions and use his Extras folder. Note that I kept VoodooTSCSync.kext in Extra/Extensions rather than using Kext helper to add it to S/L/E. Seems to work there. Also note that I've done the incremental updates before reading yamete888's notes and I think he's right that the combo update works the same for this procedure and you can save yourself a download, and the installation time.

The following is basically as yamete888 describes so all credit to him ;) After you've updated to 10.6.2 find IONDRVSupport.kext and make a copy of it to your desktop. Also download the latest 10.6.4 combo update from apples site so you can use that vs the software update. Once you've done that run the 10.6.4 update and again when it's done don't restart,,, make sure you delete the S/L/E IONDRVSuport.kext installed by 10.6.4 and use kext helper to restore the 2.0 version we backed up from the 10.6.2 version. Probably can just use kext helper here, but it was satisfying to delete it manually to make sure it was 'dead' and wouldn't cause more trouble ;)

After that you can restart and if your e1405 works like mine you'll have 10.6.4 with full QE/CI and you can continue setting up your Mac as you need to.

BTW I'm currently typing this from said laptop under 10.6.4 with a transparent menu, dashboard doing the proper water effect when adding items, and with Plex playing a DVD in Plex in the background... awesomely happy now!!! ;)

Hopefully this helps some other folks who may have gotten a bit thrown off by the post 10.6.2 updates and the GMA950 issues. Thanks again to Matthieu, yamete888, and the rest of the folks at Insanelymac for the tips, tweaks, and tools to get this working.

Glad to hear U got the qe/ci working! That's great! :P

Please check http://ark.intel.com for compatible cpu pins for the e1405…I replaced my original Core Duo @1.66ghz with a Core 2 Duo T7200 @2ghz…

I remember I read somewhere else that there r 2 more faster speed Core 2 Duo cpus that U can swap out with…(total 3)…mine is the slowest (and cheapest) of the 3...

Cheers!

Freaking awesome.. worked like a charm...

I sumorized it on my blog here: http://www.maleo.se/users/lsb/weblog/af7b8...l_latitude.html with proper creds.

Thanx man, you really made my day!!

Anyone had any luck with getting the onboard card (SD) to work ?.. i have a 16gb card that i would love to you.

so can anyone help me or does anyone know why my dell latitude d620 won't boot from the DVD-R? Like i said, it just stays at a black screen witha blinking line, then it goes to my OS choice boot menu.

I used image burn to put the bootable image o the DVD-R and it says it was bootable

Can anyone confirm for me whether the Dell Broadcom Wireless 1505 card works?

I sold my D620 with 1390 card which worked fine...My new D630 came with Intel 4965 card looking to purchase replacement...would like N speeds for video streaming across network...

My router is a WNDR3700 as well wonder how compatible it would be?

Some of my MKV files are 20GB in size so yes I need the extra speed...they would not work with 1390.

Glad to hear U got the qe/ci working! That's great! :)

Please check http://ark.intel.com for compatible cpu pins for the e1405…I replaced my original Core Duo @1.66ghz with a Core 2 Duo T7200 @2ghz…

I remember I read somewhere else that there r 2 more faster speed Core 2 Duo cpus that U can swap out with…(total 3)…mine is the slowest (and cheapest) of the 3...

Cheers!

Yeah a bit more tweaking last night and it's running with everything I have on my desktop hack (kakewalk based install) and eee 900ha (netbookinstaller install). I'm building quite the little osx collection and some old hardware is getting come much needed love :(

Good news that the t7200 worked well for your upgrade... that and the next model up were the ones I had my eye on. Looks like ebay has a good few for about $85 so that seems like a worthwhile upgrade along with a 2gb+1gb ram upgrade in a while to get up to some fairly modern specs on this oldish machine. If I can get this souped up to be a semi-portable OSX dev machine I'd be quite pleased with it :)

Good to see others are having success as well. All the best.

Hey folks, I had a D620 lying around so followed this guide to put Mac OS X on it. All is mostly well, except for an odd problem.

Every now and then the machine "stalls", I can't think of a better description for it. It's working fine, then suddenly gets really slow - even typing can take seconds or minutes to show up on the screen - switching apps takes forever, etc. After a short while, it gets over it, and carries on as normal.

This may or may not be related to lots of disk activity, it often happens while iTunes is running, or while package installs are running.

I disabled spotlight, but that hasn't helped.

Wondered if anyone else has experienced this and knows how to fix it?

The machine is a D620 w/ the 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and the nVidia Quadro NVS 110M

Thanks in advance for any help

I was just wondering, since a lot of talk lately was on getting qe/ci to work on SL 10.6.3 / 10.6.4 on Intel gma950 based dells, what about the nvidia quadro 110m/120m on the d820? any tweaks that needs to be done for 10.6.4? Any feedback from users with this laptop? Just curious...Thanks!

Hey Guys, just thought I would share my ongoing experience having installed 10.6.0 with Leppys boot CD, Well as It is, I am running 10.6.4 with NO ISSUES whatsoever, upgrade went without a hitch, mine is a D620, nvidia, T2600, 2 GB ram and i dualboot Win7, One of the issues i was having was a slow down with the machine when watching a lot of youtube, flash videos caused the machine to get relly hot and non responsive, the short term solution was to turn the machine on the side and wait for it to cool off, well, i just did a real mod, commonly called the copper mod (look here http://myworld.ebay.com/chips2481 for the parts and here for the how to http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-s...opper-mod.html), as described in the article, temps are definately DOWN :D , machine is running so well, I wondered why I was thinking about actually getting a real mac to begin with :wacko: , the mod was definately worth it and thats why I am mentioning it here for the brave among us

Ok, for the poster who is having issues with burning the dvd, I did not go that route, I used a usb stick, ( I used to use a usb hdd before so I know that both flash and a hdd works, you can try that, but you need to have a working mac to create/restore the os to the usb media, in case you do not have access to a working mac, remember, try to use a dual layer media to do the burning and, use Leppys boot CD first, as Mac OSX DVD'd are NOT bootable on a PC. I also have a usb hdd with 10.6.0 that I use for recovery, so that is stored away with my other junk, just in case :rolleyes:

Consolation, I see you still here helping out, I believe that I am still using your dsdt file and it still works awesome, very few kp, usually when I start system monitor only sometimes though and none since 10.6.4, btw, I never lost wifi (airport) like some reported, haven't actually noticed any changes with the upgrade to be honest, except for the Safari 5 deal, after getting sleep to work, I realize that I don't even use it that much :D

Anyone else have the new Safari (5) crashing when you have 5 or more tabs open?, thats one thing I have noticed

For the other guys having the various issues I have seen, all i can say is this, before I even bought this D620, I had read this entire post, and at that time it was like 26 pages, about 4 times, so by the time I got the machine, I was ready to do the deed :angel: , the devil is in the details as they say so the finer points are usually posted somewhere here already

I spend aout 80% of my time in SL so believe me when I say that this machine is stable, what else can I say? am loving it

Best to all

I seem to have missed the sleep fix.

Im at 10.6.4 with everything working except the closing the lid.

when i do close the lid and reopen it i get the black screen.

systems powered and beeps at me when i do a shutdown but.....

if someone could point me towards the solutions......

thanks

• reboot

bash-3.2# cd /Extra/

WHERE I CAN FOUND IONDRVSupport.kext v2.0

PLEASE HELP ME!

just wondering, what are the specs of your dell d820? intel gma950 or nvidia? wifi card? screen resolution? sound working? ethernet working? SL 10.6.4? thanks!

Nvidia running at 1680x1050 - working

Broadcom wifi (DW-1490) that I bought off ebay - working

Sound - working

Ethernet - not tested, is detected under networking

SL 10.6.4 - Have not updated, and probably won't everything works and I don't feel the need to update.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all your help and hard work getting osx to run on these laptops :)

I'm having some trouble tho, so i'm hoping someone else has already run across this. I'm using a d430 with a u7700 cpu, the bios is reporting 1.33ghz but for some reason it's being reported at 1.43, i don't think it's a big deal to run 100mhz over but this sucker seems to be running super hot and i can't seem to get it to cool down.

d430.tiff

Also, has anybody been able to get sleep to work properly? it really bugs me that i just can shut the lid and call it good :(

Thanks again!