[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi All.

First off I want to thank Leppy for the GREAT work and how easy he made it for noobs like me to execute this.

I decide to give this a whirl because I am contemplating buying a MacBook Pro, but want to see and "feel" the OS for a bit before I make that decision (2000 bones ain't easy to part with these days on something you have no idea how it functions)..I had the D620 floating around and followed Leppy's guide to a "T" and it works great!!

The only thing I can't seem to get working is my PCMCIA CardBus. I downloaded the kext from way back on pg.4 of this thread but never was able to find where anyone posted that is worked or not.

I would like to try the kext out but (Please excuse my ignorance)...I simply do not know wtf to do with a kext. I'm familiar with the fact that it is similar to a driver in windows....but I have NO IDEA wtf to do with it. Can someone help a noob out by explaining how I get it installed?? Please excuse my lack of "Apple-ness"

Leppy,

The trackpad works just like it does in windows. It doesn't have 2 finger scrolling. Just the right side scrolling + side scrolling on the bottom. Maybe D620 is a little different. But working perfectly here. One problem is the mouse options disappear in the system preferences. :)

Thanks for the DSDT suggestion. I'll see if I can extract and make the necessary changes.

I was able to use a PC Card wireless card (from D-Link) when I had the PCMCIA kext installed (more on that in a moment), but my system would invariably freeze: sometimes after half an hour, sometimes after 15 seconds, but always eventually. I don't think the PC Card slot is all that funcitonal so maybe you shouldn't count on it.

As for using kexts, the beauty of the system set up by the instructions available from leppy is that it's easy to use and easy to fix if things go haywire (so long as you keep your boot CD handy!)

On your installed system, on the laptop's hard drive, you should have /Extra at the root. You can see it when you click on the hard drive in a Finder window. In /Extra is a script called rebuild_mkext.command. When you double-click that file, it opens a Terminal window in which you type your password-there's no indication anything is happening, but just make sure you click on the window's title bar and then type your password and hit Enter. You'll be prompted to enter a number (I always pick 1 for 32 bit) and then the script rebuilds the Extensions.mkext file. Next time you restart, that's what's active.

If you want to try a kext, plop it into /Extra/Extensions and double-click rebuild_mkext.command. Voila, you have a new file. If things go horribly wrong and you get a kernel panic and can't get into your system, restart with the boot CD and then go into /Extra/Extensions and remove the offending kext and then rebuild and restart. I've done this several times now and am always able to get back to a working system.

Hi All.

First off I want to thank Leppy for the GREAT work and how easy he made it for noobs like me to execute this.

I decide to give this a whirl because I am contemplating buying a MacBook Pro, but want to see and "feel" the OS for a bit before I make that decision (2000 bones ain't easy to part with these days on something you have no idea how it functions)..I had the D620 floating around and followed Leppy's guide to a "T" and it works great!!

The only thing I can't seem to get working is my PCMCIA CardBus. I downloaded the kext from way back on pg.4 of this thread but never was able to find where anyone posted that is worked or not.

I would like to try the kext out but (Please excuse my ignorance)...I simply do not know wtf to do with a kext. I'm familiar with the fact that it is similar to a driver in windows....but I have NO IDEA wtf to do with it. Can someone help a noob out by explaining how I get it installed?? Please excuse my lack of "Apple-ness"

I figured it out. It didn't show the text I was typing for my password but, it still registered it.

Thanks for your help.

Good grief - I need a vacation. Glad it worked out for you in the end. Sorry for any confusion.
Leppy,

The trackpad works just like it does in windows. It doesn't have 2 finger scrolling. Just the right side scrolling + side scrolling on the bottom. Maybe D620 is a little different. But working perfectly here. One problem is the mouse options disappear in the system preferences. ;)

Thanks for the DSDT suggestion. I'll see if I can extract and make the necessary changes.

My trackpad works the way I like it to work without the trackpad kexts. Every time I've tried the rest of the voodoo package - regardless of version - it screws trackpad and mouse up to the point that they are not at all useable and I am forced to back out. Last time, it was only slightly odd until after resume from sleep, when it went completely ballistic. I know I am not the only one to notice this behavior on a D620. I have no further interest in trackpad kexts. We all tick a little differently, and it's easy for people to customize to suit themselves.

I was able to use a PC Card wireless card (from D-Link) when I had the PCMCIA kext installed (more on that in a moment), but my system would invariably freeze: sometimes after half an hour, sometimes after 15 seconds, but always eventually. I don't think the PC Card slot is all that funcitonal so maybe you shouldn't count on it.

calibre97,

I am ecstatic to report I have now utilized my Firewire 800 PCMCIA card for 2 consecutive hours recording from a 16 track audio interface with no problems or freezing.....I'm knocking on wood though.

calibre97,

I am ecstatic to report I have now utilized my Firewire 800 PCMCIA card for 2 consecutive hours recording from a 16 track audio interface with no problems or freezing.....I'm knocking on wood though.

People have had varying degrees of success with PCMCIA cards. I am thinking that the problem some have isn't with the PCMCIA port, but the OS X compatibility of the card they are trying to insert into it.

Hi leppy700m!

I'am a Hungarian man, also sorry, but my English is very bad.

I will install a snow leopard 10.6.2.

I have a snow leopard retail dvd.

I have a Dell d630 (T7500, nvs135m, 1gb ram).

Still I dont use your installation, becasuse I have some problems.

My first problem is that the shutdown not working (all snow leo 10.6.2) , so please send me if you have the updated corrected iso.

My secont problem is that read the forum, that a Chameleon Loader install only a primary first partition. Please send me, howto install a second partition, because my first partition has a win7.

tomesz123b@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!!!!

People have had varying degrees of success with PCMCIA cards. I am thinking that the problem some have isn't with the PCMCIA port, but the OS X compatibility of the card they are trying to insert into it.

Gotcha...That would explain why calibre had issues with WiFi but yet my Firewire is cookin' along.

I have zero complaints..everything is operational om my D620 now.

Great work Leppy and once again thank you very much. And thanks to calibre97 for the tutorial on the kext install.

Hi leppy700m!

I'am a Hungarian man, also sorry, but my English is very bad.

I will install a snow leopard 10.6.2.

I have a snow leopard retail dvd.

I have a Dell d630 (T7500, nvs135m, 1gb ram).

Still I dont use your installation, becasuse I have some problems.

My first problem is that the shutdown not working (all snow leo 10.6.2) , so please send me if you have the updated corrected iso.

My secont problem is that read the forum, that a Chameleon Loader install only a primary first partition. Please send me, howto install a second partition, because my first partition has a win7.

tomesz123b@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!!!!

I still have more work to do on the D630, which I am hoping to get to this weekend. Please check back.

I could only guess as to how to install OS X on a second partition after WIN 7 because I have never tried it and I haven't heard of it done that way. I'd look to other threads that deal with specifically with dual booting issues for that kind of solution. Although dual booting has been discussed here, it's not really what the thread is about.

I still have more work to do on the D630, which I am hoping to get to this weekend. Please check back.

I could only guess as to how to install OS X on a second partition after WIN 7 because I have never tried it and I haven't heard of it done that way. I'd look to other threads that deal with specifically with dual booting issues for that kind of solution. Although dual booting has been discussed here, it's not really what the thread is about.

Thanks!

Is that card bus-powered, enabling you to connect, say, harddrives without having to also plug in an AC adaptor? Also, what brand/make/model/etc is that card? The D630 has a 4-pin Firewire port but that's definitely not bus-powered. I may want to try the PC Card route since you've reported success and if you could give the pertinent information, I can find that card to use with external drives.

calibre97,

It's SIIG Firewire 800 . It's dual powered external or internal (has a DC in jack for external power).

SIIG p/n - NN-8CB212-S1 Newegg = $90. Has one six pin and one 9 pin plus the dc in jack.

I've had hard drives hooked on it...but studio recording is my vice...so mostly auudio interaces is what I use it for. Works great with that kext (IOPCMCIAFamily.kext) on pg 3 of this post.

DOH!

I have this insanity about me that just won't leave well enough alone. I originally loaded my D620 with a 80Gig drive just to test it out. With all of my audio stuff I maxed 80 gig out in two nights..... So I popped my 500 gig in the D620 and went to load 'er up and now I get a "Memory Allocation Error (0x4382c10, 0x0) right at the point when I press F5 to spool up the SL disc. Hmmmf? I tried several times with three different dvd drive...DOH! Any ideas??

It's SIIG Firewire 800 . It's dual powered external or internal (has a DC in jack for external power).

SIIG p/n - NN-8CB212-S1 Newegg = $90. Has one six pin and one 9 pin plus the dc in jack.

I've had hard drives hooked on it...but studio recording is my vice...so mostly auudio interaces is what I use it for. Works great with that kext (IOPCMCIAFamily.kext) on pg 3 of this post.

DOH!

I have this insanity about me that just won't leave well enough alone. I originally loaded my D620 with a 80Gig drive just to test it out. With all of my audio stuff I maxed 80 gig out in two nights..... So I popped my 500 gig in the D620 and went to load 'er up and now I get a "Memory Allocation Error (0x4382c10, 0x0) right at the point when I press F5 to spool up the SL disc. Hmmmf? I tried several times with three different dvd drive...DOH! Any ideas??

If you have a sata - usb adapter, try booting with the 80gb and then doing a remote install on the 500. Once complete, you could switch the harddrives and see if you can boot that with the boot cd and run the post install. Never tried it, but it might work. USB Sata hd enclosures used to be all over Ebay for under $10 each.

What version bios are you using? If it's earlier that A10, maybe it's time for an update.

If you have a sata - usb adapter, try booting with the 80gb and then doing a remote install on the 500. Once complete, you could switch the harddrives and see if you can boot that with the boot cd and run the post install. Never tried it, but it might work. USB Sata hd enclosures used to be all over Ebay for under $10 each.

What version bios are you using? If it's earlier that A10, maybe it's time for an update.

Well, I got it working (before I came back to read your post) I did something similar (I have a USB to Sata bridge)I put the 60 back in and plugged in the 500 (Via USB) and went to disc utility and restored the 60 image to the 500. Put the 500 in the laptop, and booted with the boot disc, started it up..and all is now working well on the 500 with no data loss! NICE!

Thanks for the help!

C'mon Leppy...figure out the shutdown and/or restart and make our day!

I got the Dell 1490 today(ordered last Monday and arrived today, $24 with shipping) and it slipped right in the Wifi slot at the top under the keyboard. There're only 2 posts (black and white) so I had to tuck the grey wire that had attached to the Intel wireless board out of the way. Soon as I snapped everything back in place and fired it up, it immediately found and connected to my wireless network and I've finished downloading 500mb of updates post 10.6.2 and iWork and iLife install. Working like a charm now.

I got the Dell 1490 today(ordered last Monday and arrived today, $24 with shipping) and it slipped right in the Wifi slot at the top under the keyboard. There're only 2 posts (black and white) so I had to tuck the grey wire that had attached to the Intel wireless board out of the way. Soon as I snapped everything back in place and fired it up, it immediately found and connected to my wireless network and I've finished downloading 500mb of updates post 10.6.2 and iWork and iLife install. Working like a charm now.

I've got restart / shutdown working A-OK on my 620 w/Intel using Leppy's latest Kext Pack and the PMkexts that were posted earlier. Only thing that isn't working, which seems to be the case for everyone, is Sleep.

Do you have a restart kext in our E/E directory?

Regarding the sleep issue - I'm curious to hear what happens to everyone else when they try to manually put the laptop to sleep.

Mine appears to go down to sleep, everything stops, then a split second later everything with the exception of the display comes back to life. The only way I have to get back to a working system is a hard reset.

Another question - what temperatures are your cores typically running at? Mine hover around 130 degrees farenheit, and will spike up to around 140-145.

I've got restart / shutdown working A-OK on my 620 w/Intel using Leppy's latest Kext Pack and the PMkexts that were posted earlier. Only thing that isn't working, which seems to be the case for everyone, is Sleep.

Do you have a restart kext in our E/E directory?

Regarding the sleep issue - I'm curious to hear what happens to everyone else when they try to manually put the laptop to sleep.

Mine appears to go down to sleep, everything stops, then a split second later everything with the exception of the display comes back to life. The only way I have to get back to a working system is a hard reset.

Another question - what temperatures are your cores typically running at? Mine hover around 130 degrees farenheit, and will spike up to around 140-145.

Full sleep does not work on the GMA950 - only display sleep. Did you add the PM kexts?

Full sleep does not work on the GMA950 - only display sleep. Did you add the PM kexts?

Yep. Sure did. Out of curiosity, (if you know), what is the difference between VoodooPower.kext and VoodooPowerMini.kext?

Is mine running hot relative to yours?

Yep. Sure did. Out of curiosity, (if you know), what is the difference between VoodooPower.kext and VoodooPowerMini.kext?

Is mine running hot relative to yours?

I know mine ran much cooler once I added those kexts and ran rebuild_mkext, but I really don't know what the actual temps were.

I haven't looked at voodoopowermini too closely, but I think I remember reading that it's a subset of voodoopower for those that can't run voodoopower for whatever reason.

You're right about Dr. Hurt's solution for dual boot - except that I don't think he released another version of Chameleon - but he did come up with a procedure to get things working in dual boot mode on a single hard drive.

I think you can fix those artifacts if you are willing to spend some time on a DSDT fix. The key to getting the internal display working without those old kexts which cause the artifacts is to remove all the devices under vid except LCD in the DSDT. It's not really a fix so much as a brute force elimination of every other device. I'd like to see what your unmodified DSDT looks like extracted from Ubuntu. I have a feeling it's going to be very similar to the D620 GMA. If you like, I'll patch it up and send it back to you.

Regarding scrolling - I tried it again after my DSDT patches. It did not work right after resume from sleep, and to be honest, I didn't like the way it worked anyway. I like the trackpad behaving the way it does in Windows/Linux. I have to switch between different OS quite a bit so I like devices behaving in a consistent manner. If anyone else want's to use additional trackpad kexts - great for them.

Hey leppy,

Thanks for the information. I've attached hte dsdt.aml that I extracted from ubuntu 9.10 32bit. Hopefully I did it right :)

I was hoping the d620 extra folder you uploaded would work for the d420/d430 but no go. Kernal panic so I had to go back to the extra folder from the bootcd in your 1st post.

I compared the d620 dsdt you uploaded vs the dsdt I extracted and didn't know what to change. My dsdt had only 1 lcd word in there while yours had a bunch. Not sure what that means.

The file here is an unmodified dsdt.aml though. I just made a copy for the one I decomplied above to see any similarities between the two.

d430_dsdt.zip

Thanks

hopefully someone here can help me with this. I boot from the disk. Get to this screen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47761396@N06/...in/photostream/

swap the disk

I see this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47761396@N06/4376953135/

then I get an error that says

can't find mach_kernel

hopefully someone here can help me with this. I boot from the disk. Get to this screen

swap the disk

I see this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47761396@N06/4376953135/

then I get an error that says

can't find mach_kernel

Maybe you have the wrong version of the DVD? I believe you need the full retail version and not one that came with a new Mac (I could be wrong on that, though).

I purchased that at Best Buy for $29....it is an original retail disk
What happens when you remove the CD and boot?

I am working on it, but no luck yet. I've applied all the DSDT patches I can find, I've tried Netkas's PCEFI, asereBLN's loader, Chameleon 4 - all fail when graphics enabler is used. Shutdown/restart restart works fine without graphics enabler. Now I am trying to make an EFI graphics string to use instead of graphicsenabler - maybe that will make the difference.