[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Hi Leppy: I'm new here so pls. understand if I'm not following all the protocols. I've downloaded and burned boot CD's and followed your directions. I consistently get "Install Failed" Max OSX could not be installed on your computer. he installer could not copy the necessary files. Click restart to ....... blah blah.

Things seem to work as you document, I've even used Disk Utility to format the drive (GUID), the installer starts, the DVD runs and the light flash ...like files are being copied. A progress bar shows ~30 minutes to finish... then, I get the listed error. I've tried OSX 10.6 (yes, I bought the retail DVD), and OSX 10.5 (also retail DVD). In both cases, multiple times, each install fails the same way at the same point.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx, Ed

That error is normal. The problem is that the OS X install disc can't set the boot partition properly. If you reboot with the D620 boot disc and boot into your new install, you can then install the bootloader.

DougHogue: You say that 'not much works,' but you then list everything that does work, and that list seems awfully long. ;) You might try the old AppleAzaliaAudio patch that's floating around the boards. That fix worked for me on my old Toshiba A100. As for the wireless, like you said the 3945ABG isn't supported, but you can install any Broadcomm-based card and get full functionality. In any case, there is no such thing as a custom bootloader that is specific to a computer model. The booter that leppy uses was developed by someone who predominately supports Gigabyte-based desktop computers. So long as it's Intel-based, you're golden.

Thanks for the guide!

Took a chance and bought a D430 and luckily it worked. Probably the easiest installation I've done.

I do have a problem though and it's related to the touchpad scrolling. It doesn't work. Tried both the apls touchpad driver via following a thread on insanelymac and that didn't work and then tried the voodoops2 kext installer which also didn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but does scrolling for you guys?

And about dual booting. Any of you install SL and Win7 on the same harddrive? I formatted the 80gb hd into guid and then formatted the 1st 40gb for snow leopard (macosjournaled) and then left 40gb for windows (msdos-fat). Installed snow leopard. Then installed Win 7. Then back into SL. Follewed this guide as this is the first time I've installed both on the same drive (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165878). Unfortunately it didn't work. Anyone who has a fool proof method?

Thanks again for the guide. Worked flawlessly. 10.6.2 updated with no problems. Hope I can scrolling working soon ;)

EDIT:

Dual boot working.

2 partitions. Both GUID. First one MacOSJournaled @ 40gb. Second one MSDOS @ 40gb. Very EASY! Literally none of that terminal stuff. 2 clicks and that's it.

Steps if anyone is curious. Should work for all models in this guide.

1. Boot up SL install usb/disk. Remember to boot up the bootcd 1st (just follow the guide on the 1st page)

2. Go to disk-utility and partition the drive for 2 partitions. Click options and chose GUID. Name the 1st partition snow (or whatever) and select macosjournaled. Name the 2nd Windows and select MSDOS (fat).

3. Install SL as usual. Once installed you can update to 10.6.2 straight away and install whatever you want. Don't run the post install command yet. After installing the update reboot

4. Install Windows. Chose custom install. Once you see the drive chose the 3rd one (I forgot if it says windows or not).

5. Format and install Windows.

6. Once you're in windows go ahead update and do whatever you need.

7. Restart but boot up with the bootcd this time. Once you get to the bootloader chose the drive where you installed snow leopard. Once you're in SL download this boot-loader (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=201902&view=findpost&p=1404132)

8. Install it on the hard drive. Just follow the directions. Reboot once it's complete. Again boot up with the bootcd. Chose SL and once you're in SL open up the cd and run the post-install command from the guide. Type in the password and if it asks you to install a bootloader choose NO (option 2). Chose whatever graphics you have (I have GMA950 so I typed in 1) and enter and thats it. Wait for it to complete and that's it.

9. Reboot just to make sure. Don't boot from the bootcd this time. Just boot from the HD and now you'll see both the SL and Win7 partitions. Chose whichever and BAM! Good to go. Thanks to Dr. Hurt for the installer and everyone else who helped mac installing SL so easy and of course leppy700m.

Thanks for the guide!

Thanks to Dr. Hurt for the installer and everyone else who helped mac installing SL so easy and of course leppy700m.

I am not sure, I don't think Dr Hurt has ever posted anything on this thread. He's done some good work, just not here. But there have been lots of people here who have posted some good information here and clued me in on a few things. In the past few pages alone, SA2CC and consolation have contributed a lot - among many others from previous pages.

I used to use your dual boot method for WINXP and it was fine, but WIN7 gets hosed up after the Chameleon install. It shows up on the boot menu, but then I have to boot the win7 installer, repair the startup and then set by Snow partition active from the WIN7 diskpart utility. I find your method works with a couple steps added to work here - and one of them is from the WIN 7 command line.

One more time for the record: I don't use the various trackpad kexts floating around because they never work right for me on the D620s. Or maybe it's just me, but I really prefer the machine without whatever scrolling people think they are missing. I ripped the plugins out of voodoops2 and ditched the trackpad part, keeping what I liked. Trackpad kexts make the thing act like it's in dire need of a a heroine fix - expecially after wake from sleep. Your mileage may vary, and of course, you are free to customize your machine your way.

That error is normal. The problem is that the OS X install disc can't set the boot partition properly. If you reboot with the D620 boot disc and boot into your new install, you can then install the bootloader.
Exactly Right. I think I even mentioned that in the guide.
DougHogue: You say that 'not much works,' but you then list everything that does work, and that list seems awfully long. :D You might try the old AppleAzaliaAudio patch that's floating around the boards. That fix worked for me on my old Toshiba A100. As for the wireless, like you said the 3945ABG isn't supported, but you can install any Broadcomm-based card and get full functionality. In any case, there is no such thing as a custom bootloader that is specific to a computer model. The booter that leppy uses was developed by someone who predominately supports Gigabyte-based desktop computers. So long as it's Intel-based, you're golden.
I am quite sure I don't know how to add anything to that either.

OK, thanks for the reply, BUT NOW I'm TOTALLY Confused. Here's specifically what I've been doing:

1. boot on CD: D620SLV1.iso

2. when first icon appears, eject CD and load OSX 10.6 Install Retail DVD

3. select the DVD, start the install, using -x -v boot options

4. when available, select Disk Utilities, partition the drive GUID, extended journaled

5. continue the install, it appears things start to load, progress bar shows ~30 minutes to complete

6. failure!

I THOUGHT I understood the boot loader would be installed AFTER the OSX Install completes.

Sorry if I'm being dense. I assume I'm missing a basic step but I can't get past it. Also I've got a Dell D830, NVidia graphics, 4Gb Ram.

Thanks, Ed

DougHogue: You say that 'not much works,' but you then list everything that does work, and that list seems awfully long. :D You might try the old AppleAzaliaAudio patch that's floating around the boards. That fix worked for me on my old Toshiba A100. As for the wireless, like you said the 3945ABG isn't supported, but you can install any Broadcomm-based card and get full functionality. In any case, there is no such thing as a custom bootloader that is specific to a computer model. The booter that leppy uses was developed by someone who predominately supports Gigabyte-based desktop computers. So long as it's Intel-based, you're golden.

OK, thanks for the reply, BUT NOW I'm TOTALLY Confused. Here's specifically what I've been doing:

1. boot on CD: D620SLV1.iso

2. when first icon appears, eject CD and load OSX 10.6 Install Retail DVD

3. select the DVD, start the install, using -x -v boot options

4. when available, select Disk Utilities, partition the drive GUID, extended journaled

5. continue the install, it appears things start to load, progress bar shows ~30 minutes to complete

6. failure!

I THOUGHT I understood the boot loader would be installed AFTER the OSX Install completes.

Sorry if I'm being dense. I assume I'm missing a basic step but I can't get past it. Also I've got a Dell D830, NVidia graphics, 4Gb Ram.

Thanks, Ed

The error is normal. You can IGNORE it. The install completed successfully. Reboot using the CD made from D620SLV1, select your new Snow Leopard installation at the boot menu, then run the post install once you're in.

It's all covered in the guide - here it is again:

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

DougHogue: You say that 'not much works,' but you then list everything that does work, and that list seems awfully long. :huh: You might try the old AppleAzaliaAudio patch that's floating around the boards. That fix worked for me on my old Toshiba A100. As for the wireless, like you said the 3945ABG isn't supported, but you can install any Broadcomm-based card and get full functionality. In any case, there is no such thing as a custom bootloader that is specific to a computer model. The booter that leppy uses was developed by someone who predominately supports Gigabyte-based desktop computers. So long as it's Intel-based, you're golden.

Thanks for the reply SA22C.

Not much does work. If you don't have usb you don't have a lot. I also don't have sound. I have tried many diferent flavors of voodoo but still working on that. I see it as a chalenge more than anything else. And yes leppy's bootloader id geared towards the D620. Any help would be appreciated...

I created a second FAT partition in OS X and, when I install Windows XP, just quick-formatted it as NTFS. I don't know what kind of mistakes I made.

I will appreciate any advice.

I used gptsync (link available somewhere on insanelymac) to create a dual gpt/mbr boot partition. Works for me.

Not necessarily. If you have a blank DL DVD, make a copy of your SL DVD and try that. Or - will the dvd reader in the D610 fit in the D620?

If that's not a viable option then I'm still working up an alternate install method.

Thank you.

Keep us posted! I was going to buy a mini 10v, but then I spotted a the scads of clean D620s on Ebay for under $300.

I likes me some '620.

I bought a refurb 10v. Nice netbook to carry around, when going to Starbucks, and for quick trips to your favorite watering hole that has wifi. I have it dual booting SL and Win 7. Use the NBI installer at MyDellMini. Everything works great!

My card shows up as nVidia also in System profile. Plus my processor list 1.67 Ghz, when it's really a 1 Ghz.

Everything works great BTW.

You can make profiler say you're running a codfish 4000. The profiler says nvidia because of the Natit.kext that I used for the GMA950. The kext was intended for Nvidia chipsets, and injects that oddness.

If you want profiler to list your CPU speed accurately, you can just add an smbios.plist to your /Extra directory.

Not much does work. If you don't have usb you don't have a lot. I also don't have sound. I have tried many diferent flavors of voodoo but still working on that. I see it as a chalenge more than anything else. And yes leppy's bootloader id geared towards the D620. Any help would be appreciated...

USB isn't working? Oh. :wacko:

Not to be pedantic, but you're getting your terminology confused. 'Bootloader' refers to the program that passes the control of the system hardware over to the OS. In this case, the bootloader is Chameleon or a variant thereof. leppy has provided a boot CD with a Chameleon bootloader and customised drivers for the D620 notebook. The bootloader itself is hardware agnostic. What you need is a DSDT patch to properly recognize your USB devices. Check my other posts in this thread for guidance on patching the DSDT to get OS X to properly recognize USB. Are you getting any errors during verbose boot that have to do with 'Unable to intialize UIM' ?

What would really help is if you could attach the results of lspci or an ioreg dump. LSPCI utils give a flat-file listing of all installed hardware and the pertinent vendor/device IDs. An ioreg dump can be obtained from Terminal (provided you installed the dev tools from the OS X install disc.) Either should point us towards a solution for both sound and USB.

ICH7 should be supported. The best solution would be to patch your DSDT. If you don't want to patch your DSDT, then you could try downloading Chameleon RC4 and replacing the boot file at /, then add the following to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

put it just before:

</dict>

</plist>

I still have a problem waking from sleep. I can get the power light to stop blinking, but the screen doesn't come back on.
What machine?

The error is normal. You can IGNORE it. The install completed successfully. Reboot using the CD made from D620SLV1, select your new Snow Leopard installation at the boot menu, then run the post install once you're in.

It's all covered in the guide - here it is again:

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

With respect, I know what the guide says. However it doesn't say with 30 minutes remaining on the Installer Progress Bar to expect a failure. I have a Macbook Pro, which is a faster machine than the Dell D830, and the Mac wouldn't completely load OSX in the amount of time it takes the Dell to fail. So, unless the Dell can install OSX in less than 20 minutes, I don't think the install is finishing. Also, following the described failure, and, your suggestion to boot from the D620SLV1 CD, no other bootable drives were found... If the installer did finish, wouldn't there be another partition listed to boot from?

I believe you've done a nice job with this, and I think it's great that you freely share this to help others, but this isn't working on my Dell D830 at all. And I have repeatedly tried. Perhaps it would have been more beneficial for us both if you accepted there may be some problems on my machine rather than tell me repeatedly what your guide says... I'm going to look elsewhere for another method.

All the best, Ed

Installed 1 GB of RAM, Purring like a beast. Much much better than before!

Need to get a 2GB card so id have 4 GB of ram. That will make it much much stable.

Mikk.

Do all D620's support 4 gigs of ram? I have 1 gig right now, and was thinking of going to 2, but 4 gigs only costs $25 more. I have two 512 sticks now.

Got my anwser about that, going with a T7600 for 35 dollars.

Mikk.

I have a T5500@1.67 Ghz. Is the T7600 a big upgrade? Where for $35?

With respect, I know what the guide says. However it doesn't say with 30 minutes remaining on the Installer Progress Bar to expect a failure. I have a Macbook Pro, which is a faster machine than the Dell D830, and the Mac wouldn't completely load OSX in the amount of time it takes the Dell to fail. So, unless the Dell can install OSX in less than 20 minutes, I don't think the install is finishing. Also, following the described failure, and, your suggestion to boot from the D620SLV1 CD, no other bootable drives were found... If the installer did finish, wouldn't there be another partition listed to boot from?

I believe you've done a nice job with this, and I think it's great that you freely share this to help others, but this isn't working on my Dell D830 at all. And I have repeatedly tried. Perhaps it would have been more beneficial for us both if you accepted there may be some problems on my machine rather than tell me repeatedly what your guide says... I'm going to look elsewhere for another method.

All the best, Ed

Ed, sorry, I didn't realize the install process had quit so early. Yes, you're right - if the install finished you'd see a new partition from the Chameleon menu on the boot cd. I suspect one of three things: 1. The Snow Leopard DVD has an issue 2. The DVD reader has an issue 3. The hard drive has a developing problem.

If you have an 8GB USB flash drive, you can try restoring the DVD to that with the disk utility on the Snow install DVD. Success or failure might tell you more. If you are successful, you could try booting the boot CD then installing from the USB drive instead of the DVD.

Again, I apologize for jumping to the conclusion that you'd missed the part of the guide I was referring to.

Do all D620's support 4 gigs of ram? I have 1 gig right now, and was thinking of going to 2, but 4 gigs only costs $25 more. I have two 512 sticks now.

I have a T5500@1.67 Ghz. Is the T7600 a big upgrade? Where for $35?

Yes, 4GB ram max on the D620 as far as I know.

I don't know of anyone with a T7600 processor for $35. Is it a big upgrade from a T5500? For most people sending email and web surfing? Probably not. These machines make nice portables for day to day use with whatever CPU they are equipped with, as long as the graphics requirements aren't too rigorous.

This is a great thread. I've been playing all day, and I've only come across one minor problem - I get some screen artifacts when running MS Word. Imagine a two to arrows sitting on the screen as I click to the curser position. Don't seem to have this problem in any other application.

------

D620 - Intel GMA950 - 2 gigs of ram - Win XP and SL 10.6.1

This is a great thread. I've been playing all day, and I've only come across one minor problem - I get some screen artifacts when running MS Word. Imagine a two to arrows sitting on the screen as I click to the curser position. Don't seem to have this problem in any other application.

------

D620 - Intel GMA950 - 2 gigs of ram - Win XP and SL 10.6.1

I've got a fix for that

EXPERIMENTAL: I am still working on this - no guarantee.

Here's my latest /Extra folder for my D620 with GMA 950. I hacked up a DSDT well enough to get internal vid working without using old kexts. This should mean zero artifacts. Display sleep works, however full sleep does not.

Before replacing your extra folder, make sure you know the name of your Snow Leopard volume. You'll need it for backout if things go badly.

1. Backup your old extra folder if you have modified it.

2. Replace your /Extra folder with the contents of this zip file.

3. Move boot from the new /Extra folder to /

Warning: Will most definitely panic another model machine - for D620 with GMA950 only.

1. If this causes a panic, back out by booting the cd then the SL install DVD. Run terminal from the instalation utilities menu.

2. From the command line, enter this:

rm -R "/Volumes/whatever your Snow Leopard volume name is/Extra"

3. Reboot to your SL partition using the boot CD and either re-run post install or restore your /extra backup.

God, it's like I never posted before. 50,000 edits and it's still ugly. Ah well, I'll just have another drink and then all the panics will be a lot more fun.

I've got a fix for that

This is great! Artifacts are gone, and system profile is showing a Mac Book Pro - 3,1 and the graphics card is showing up as a GMA950, which is correct.

Both cores are showing up and running. I'll check sleep mode out later.

What doesn't work on my machine -

Restart

EDIT:

Onboard NIC not working

From System Profiler

pci14e4,4311:

Type: Other Network Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4311

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0007

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

I'd like to help out. What should I try next?

I have a:

D620

T5500@1.67 Ghz

2X512 meg of ram

GMA950

Chameleon 2.0 RC4

SL 10.6.1

Thanks for all of you work

EDIT: I rebuilt the /Extra Extension.mkext. Now my system shows up as a MacBookPro4, 1. Sound works now.

DVD Player works great. Some artifacts in full screen mode with action movies (Transformer).

This is great! Artifacts are gone, and system profile is showing a Mac Book Pro - 3,1 and the graphics card is showing up as a GMA950, which is correct.

Both cores are showing up and running. I'll check sleep mode out later.

What doesn't work on my machine -

Restart

EDIT:

Onboard NIC not working

From System Profiler

pci14e4,4311:

Type: Other Network Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4311

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0007

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

I'd like to help out. What should I try next?

I have a:

D620

T5500@1.67 Ghz

2X512 meg of ram

GMA950

Chameleon 2.0 RC4

SL 10.6.1

Thanks for all of you work

EDIT: I rebuilt the /Extra Extension.mkext. Now my system shows up as a MacBookPro4, 1. Sound works now.

DVD Player works great. Some artifacts in full screen mode with action movies (Transformer).

I didn't include the ethernet kext since I use my machine wireless. If you add that back from your old /Extra/Extensions directory and run rebuild_mkext again, ethernet should work. Mine shuts down and restarts with no problem, so I don't know what's going on there. Did you try shutdown/restart after you ran rebuild_mkext? Also, full sleep does not work here, but display sleep does. It's the opposite of my result with the Nvidia machine.

Whatever artifacting is left is the nature of a crappy chipset, too little Vram and the latest Apple drivers. I am afraid that's as good as it gets. We are not loading graphics kexts anymore - we're using what's there - which is the latest and greatest.

I didn't include the ethernet kext since I use my machine wireless. If you add that back from your old /Extra/Extensions directory and run rebuild_mkext again, ethernet should work. Mine shuts down and restarts with no problem, so I don't know what's going on there. Did you try shutdown/restart after you ran rebuild_mkext? Also, full sleep does not work here, but display sleep does. It's the opposite of my result with the Nvidia machine.

Whatever artifacting is left is the nature of a crappy chipset, too little Vram and the latest Apple drivers. I am afraid that's as good as it gets. We are not loading graphics kexts anymore - we're using what's there - which is the latest and greatest.

I just tried it on my D620 and have no Mouse/Trackpad support. Will try to rebuild kext cache shortly and report back.

Leppy,

I try your DSDT and my restart does not work either, I'm running a D620 with intel card as well.

Leppy,

I try your DSDT and my restart does not work either, I'm running a D620 with intel card as well.

Never mind I figure it out I have to put back NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext from my old extra to the new e/e folder. That seem to fix the restart issue I hope that was the case.

Hope this will help someone.

I figure it out I have to put back NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext from my old extra to the new e/e folder. That seem to fix the restart issue I hope that was the case.

Hope this will help someone.

Adding back openhaltrestart is all I had to do. You should not need nullcpupowermanagement. Adding the ethernet and networking kexts from the old setup gets ethernet working, too.

Here's a newer version - same instructions, except you need to make sure you rebuild_mkexts.

Adding back openhaltrestart is all I had to do. You should not need nullcpupowermanagement. Adding the ethernet and networking kexts from the old setup gets ethernet working, too.

Here's a newer version - same instructions, except you need to make sure you rebuild_mkexts.

Leppy,

thx. for the new file I'll give you feed back as soon as I got it going.

Again thx man, you are the best.